Terrenus is in a state of flux. The civil war has seen the lightning rails and warp gates knocked out of commission, the wastelands turned to shawnee tundra as the genius loci fight among themselves, their losses and victories causing sweeping changes across the face of the nation, and city-states with a claim to sovereignty have been popping up like acne. 

And that's not even to speak of the various cults rising and plagues disseminating at the hands of a lunatic few . . . and the body-snatcher peril which has already infested many of the mega-cities. 

Join the military's tireless efforts to keep the darkness at bay. Fight enemies of Empire, go on diplomatic missions to strengthen alliances or forge new ones, join HERB or PETAL to catalog some of the exotic flora and fauna which either remain a mystery or are even as-yet unheard of. Research and engineering roles abound too. 

Note of interest - joining the military is a necessary step for citizenship and a great toehold for political aspirations.

More information and available positions can be found in Terrenus Military - Hierarchy
Information on open and taken assignments in Terrenus Military - Assignments
Chat with your fellow military mates in the Terrenus Military OOC

If you're interested or have any questions, post here or send me a PM.

Edited by supernal

How does the Terrenus Military typically collaborate with nobles when attempting to defend and police major cities?  On the same note, do noble houses typically maintain paramilitary security forces?  I ask because a push for increased coordination between House Glasmann forces and the Terrenus Military is a potential outcome of some of the plots I am currently involved in, yet I'm not sure how such an agreement would work in practice.  Cae is already a private military contractor, but how would a similar relationship work if she had a large security force stationed in Hell's Gate?  I'm guessing it would be kinda like vassalage, but I really don't know.

15 hours ago, The Alexandrian said:

How does the Terrenus Military typically collaborate with nobles when attempting to defend and police major cities?  On the same note, do noble houses typically maintain paramilitary security forces?  I ask because a push for increased coordination between House Glasmann forces and the Terrenus Military is a potential outcome of some of the plots I am currently involved in, yet I'm not sure how such an agreement would work in practice.  Cae is already a private military contractor, but how would a similar relationship work if she had a large security force stationed in Hell's Gate?  I'm guessing it would be kinda like vassalage, but I really don't know.

An important word to focus on here is 'typically'. If the military would coordinate with nobles to defend major cities that wouldn't be a typical situation because, typically, a noble is just a "hereditary class with high social or political status" and in Terrenus, more social than political. So it'd be like asking "how does the military typically collaborate with celebrities and rich merchants"? 

We'd really have to talk about exceptions, rather than standards, for this kind of thing, if that makes sense?

So on those occasions when it would collaborate with those people it may be to the effect of communications, like a social influencer might be able to disseminate a message more quickly and efficiently, or it would be to make use of their assets, if for example a particular noble class has ownership of a particular building, plot of land, or technology. There are other scenarios we can discuss that I think would be interesting too and I just haven't thought about them yet. I imagine this happens frequently enough that we can rationalize such a thing for those players who manage noble houses but I just wanted to clarify that those types of collaborations would be firmly outside of the norm 

A notable example of this would be the Metireal family (Cae met Major Steel), who are a "military noble house", a family who has been involved with Terran military since even before the current Haze era, whose various members hold various positions throughout the hierarchy. The Monroe family is a historical leader of tech and golemics and the Trasimenes of medical so for engineering and innovation it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility for collaboration to occur (Eustace Monroe was a big contributor to the current state of magitech and the Trasimenes are even now involved in the military). Something like that is definitely not out of bounds for other houses but most houses aren’t like that 

I do think that, as high profile / high value targets, if not from a straight money perspective then from an intelligence perspective as a lot of noble houses are entrenched in commercial enterprises, then it would make sense to me that a noble house would have private security. Whether that's in-house or farmed out to a firm would vary house to house I imagine

I'd be interested in increased coordination between House Glasmann and the military! So far it's only Cae that has this affiliation but the premise is that this attitude of collaboration would be taken up by the heads of house?

Edited by supernal

Thank you for the information.

That would be the premise, yes, especially in defense of Hell's Gate and adjacent territory.  Note that the primary point of contact within House Glasmann for military operations would be Cae as Lord and Lady Glasmann have little experience with things of that nature.  They would, however, be able to lend their considerable expertise in research and development to the cause.  It might also be worth mentioning that I've taken the liberty of fleshing out their niche a little.

Spoiler

Historically, House Glasmann was reclusive and elitist but dependable when tasked with a mission.  Sure, the products they released were revolutionary and reasonably priced - their product lines, ranging from standard "Medical Slough." a compact, imperishable healing paste, and robotic surgical suites to custom living prosthetics, including vital organs, and intricate vitrification tanks, were incredible, but House Glasmann...  House Glasmann was almost completely detached from the people of Terrenus.  Friends of the Glasmann family within Hell's Gate only knew Lord and Lady Glasmann by name.  Servants of the Glasmann family were born, lived, and presumably died on the Glasmann estate - every single member of their personal staff was born into a family that had dutifully served House Glasmann for centuries.  The media and the military had no information on the contemporary Lord or Lady Glasmann.  On the rare occasions that the family would entertain guests, they were always eccentric sorts, and no guest visited the household more than once per generation.

Overstatements aside, I'd like to think that House Glasmann existed for quite some time and has deliberately closed itself off from the rest of the world to the extent that their products, while known within the medical field, gained little to no attention from the general public until Cae put herself in the spotlight.  Something I'd like to develop more that showcases their abilities is detailed in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Lord and Lady Glasmann, through their private company, Glasmann Cryonics, released an unbelievably complex drug that would allow sentient organic lifeforms of genetically incompatible species to interbreed and produce healthy offspring.  This groundbreaking medication, which is now available over-the-counter for a trifling fee, was never promoted; a limited supply was silently distributed to a handful of pharmacies and dwells, for the time being, in an inelegant spot where almost nobody knows it exists and it hasn't been on the market long enough for anyone to testify on social media platforms or news networks that it changed their lives.

12 minutes ago, The Alexandrian said:

Thank you for the information.

That would be the premise, yes, especially in defense of Hell's Gate and adjacent territory.  Note that the primary point of contact within House Glasmann for military operations would be Cae as Lord and Lady Glasmann have little experience with things of that nature.  They would, however, be able to lend their considerable expertise in research and development to the cause.  It might also be worth mentioning that I've taken the liberty of fleshing out their niche a little.

Hide contents

Historically, House Glasmann was reclusive and elitist but dependable when tasked with a mission.  Sure, the products they released were revolutionary and reasonably priced - their product lines, ranging from standard "Medical Slough." a compact, imperishable healing paste, and robotic surgical suites to custom living prosthetics, including vital organs, and intricate vitrification tanks, were incredible, but House Glasmann...  House Glasmann was almost completely detached from the people of Terrenus.  Friends of the Glasmann family within Hell's Gate only knew Lord and Lady Glasmann by name.  Servants of the Glasmann family were born, lived, and presumably died on the Glasmann estate - every single member of their personal staff was born into a family that had dutifully served House Glasmann for centuries.  The media and the military had no information on the contemporary Lord or Lady Glasmann.  On the rare occasions that the family would entertain guests, they were always eccentric sorts, and no guest visited the household more than once per generation.

Overstatements aside, I'd like to think that House Glasmann existed for quite some time and has deliberately closed itself off from the rest of the world to the extent that their products, while known within the medical field, gained little to no attention from the general public until Cae put herself in the spotlight.  Something I'd like to develop more that showcases their abilities is detailed in the spoiler below.

Hide contents

Lord and Lady Glasmann, through their private company, Glasmann Cryonics, released an unbelievably complex drug that would allow sentient organic lifeforms of genetically incompatible species to interbreed and produce healthy offspring.  This groundbreaking medication, which is now available over-the-counter for a trifling fee, was never promoted; a limited supply was silently distributed to a handful of pharmacies and dwells, for the time being, in an inelegant spot where almost nobody knows it exists and it hasn't been on the market long enough for anyone to testify on social media platforms or news networks that it changed their lives.

I don't like the combination of these key words: unbelievably complex, over-the-counter, trifling fee. This basically seems like a pop-top to a can of worms that will justify hybridizations of races which, at least for me, will place me outside of the magic circle of my own setting. I don't want sign off on a trifling mechanism that will see things like angel-demon-elves or vampire-werewolf-minotaurs produced en masse. Changes to economies of scale to allow this kind of thing at the personal storyline level would be much more palatable to me

Working backwards from that the other stuff, healing paste, surgical suites, living prosthetics, sound a lot more my speed (and aesthetic) and like something the military would collaborate on with Glasmann for sure, and which can position Glasmann as a dominant force in med-tech. Let's take this conversation to another thread or PM as it's become centric to the Glasmann's so that people interested in joining the military otherwise aren't overwhelmed 

I think as a primary goal it would be neat to see Glasmann and Glasmann + Military collaboration against the plague stuff in Casper and Weland. Maybe a rapid deploy vaccine and epidemiological charting to try and locate origins while also coming up with improved responses for future cases

I think this would be a good start for me to again try to get into roleplaying again, if you'd have me I'd like to join as Marcus Reinstein.

Is there any HUB thread or similar that can be used to introduce him into the military?

If not it would be awesome to have some kind of HUB thread being a military compound of some sorts.

Cheers. 

8 hours ago, danzilla3 said:

I have a character that might be perfect for a stint in the army!

Tell me more! Any particular department / unit interest?

9 minutes ago, Moon Owl said:

I think this would be a good start for me to again try to get into roleplaying again, if you'd have me I'd like to join as Marcus Reinstein.

Is there any HUB thread or similar that can be used to introduce him into the military?

If not it would be awesome to have some kind of HUB thread being a military compound of some sorts.

Cheers. 

What unit would he be in? 

We do have an all-purpose hub: https://www.valucre.com/topic/37713-military-base-34/

It, and an R&D facility hub, can both be found in the first post of the ooc: https://www.valucre.com/topic/40288-terrenus-military-chatter-v2/

7 minutes ago, Unicorgi said:

Sounds interesting

what level roleplay is this tho?

Will a paragraph suffice or is this the kind where people communicate via essays

Good questions

This isn't about a particular roleplay, but about joining a group which will do roleplays to advance its agenda. In this case that agenda is the defense and progress of the nation. So if a roleplay has a maximum or a minimum will depend not on being prat of the military, but on the people that you end up pairing with and on the roleplay you end up doing

The short answer is that a paragraph will suffice in almost all cases but there are people or plots that may demand more. It isn't mandatory for you to engage in those plots or with those writers though

15 minutes ago, supernal said:

Tell me more! Any particular department / unit interest?

What unit would he be in? 

We do have an all-purpose hub: https://www.valucre.com/topic/37713-military-base-34/

It, and an R&D facility hub, can both be found in the first post of the ooc: https://www.valucre.com/topic/40288-terrenus-military-chatter-v2/

If possible, I would prefer him to be drafted into the communications division if that's alright.

Is a character sheet required to get started? I was thinking I would to get a feeling about his personality before I provide a full backstory. 

4 minutes ago, Moon Owl said:

If possible, I would prefer him to be drafted into the communications division if that's alright.

Is a character sheet required to get started? I was thinking I would to get a feeling about his personality before I provide a full backstory. 

Perfectly alright. Which unit in Comms? 

A sheet isn't required but is nice to have, whenever you have it, so I can have something to link to but not at all mandatory. It could even be the basics of what they look like or wear, sans any history or backstory or personality, which you can always fill out later. Whichever way you want to go with it is fine

2 minutes ago, supernal said:

Perfectly alright. Which unit in Comms? 

A sheet isn't required but is nice to have, whenever you have it, so I can have something to link to but not at all mandatory. It could even be the basics of what they look like or wear, sans any history or backstory or personality, which you can always fill out later. Whichever way you want to go with it is fine

Well if that's the case I can whip up some basic information for reference, no probs!

F.I.S.T caught my eye, if they are open for recruits? 

1 minute ago, Moon Owl said:

Well if that's the case I can whip up some basic information for reference, no probs!

F.I.S.T caught my eye, if they are open for recruits? 

Yassss FIST one of us, one of us