Zashiii

The Madame and Baeoi in Talix (Talix-Engine Quest)

INTRODUCTION 

The city was once a glorious structure. Pioneers of science, technology, and architecture, most historians would unanimously exclaim that it was ahead of its own time. There are gears and more gears. There are gears everywhere. The city of Talix-Engine is a land run by gears.

One can say this was the land of math and logic and yet this was built upon the great continent of Genesaris where all things enchanted and magical are wont to happen. Such a grandiose and technologically advanced city surely cannot be broken quite easily but alas even the city of Talix-Engine was unable to stop the curse of Whispernight.

Now home to many denizens of the night and of the undead, the city is nothing more than a shadow of its former glory. A shadow where vampire lords ruled all over its many regions. This infestation must be culled sooner or later. The undead horde that contaminated this city must be purged.

Now here comes the Madame and her companions, those who had sworn eternal fealty to her. On her hands were the legendary artifact Baeoi and whoever runs this city shall be the first to taste of its gleaming steel. Poor city of Talix-Engine, the Madame did not come to cleanse you of your affliction for her true aim is to learn more of the secrets hidden within the blades. The denizens of this city are merely offerings to help her stifle her unquenchable curiosity.

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

The trek through the city streets was rather enticing at the very least. The Madame was, however, unamused with the natural state of ruin this once glorious city has become. Stories of its former grandeur and the technological heights it has once reached had all reached the Madame's dainty ears and seeing it now only added to her rather prominent gloom.

I say this was quite beautiful back in the day.  Lord Suzy once told me of Talix-Engine's past life and how it flourished. Sadly, the old man had long since left before the denizens of that accursed Whispernight all arrived and claimed this city as their own. Such a pity.

She frowned then, as her thoughts ran awry. It was rather unbecoming of her to be this affected. Perhaps she was just getting sentimental, wondering if she too will one day receive the same treatment as this city.

I can only hope that it will not come to be. Someday far in the future perhaps. But not at the height of my glory.

Shaking off the unhealthy thoughts, the Madame quickened her strides in hopes of reaching the center gear as quickly as possible. Her companions trailing behind her merely snickered at her sudden change in mood and in pace. She was their favorite piece of entertainment after all.

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

I think we've gone far enough. This should a good starting point.

The Madame halted in her steps. They have been walking for a good ten minutes and the shadows that lingered on their sides are getting more crowded the deeper they went into the city. This was going to another one of those long drawn-out fights and the Madame wanted this to be done as quickly as possible.

The trial should begin any minute now. Now, who will win this time?

She raised a closed fist then, the gesture signaling everyone to stop and listen. She turned to eye every member of her group. These were her proud subordinates. Every one of them had stuck with her through thick or thin.

Khakina Khatun. Annalea Telleon. Sansalon Falashin. Tedimius Caedirii. Aslom the Seer. Serraida Mavajo. Natalya of Izral. The Lady Wolnought.

She was grateful that they had accompanied her once again but she was not one to make light of their camaraderie.

"I brought you all here for one purpose only. Please distract the other vampire lords while I flex my legendary artifact. I need to test how powerful this thing is. Now go forth and wreak havoc."

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

"Right on with you Mistress."

"Anything for dear old Middy."

"A fight? A fight? Gimme Gimme! Middy lemme at em!"

"I see you haven't grown one bit. Still using us as tools. But this is fun too."

"I'm scared but I will fight not for the glory of the cartel but for my self. I will become braver after this. Hopefully."

"I will burn this place to the ground. Just watch me, Linda. I will catch up to you soon."

"This fucking place ain't gonna last long with me in here. Gonna fuck this shitty place up!"

"Eh? Whatever you say Bossman or boss woman or whatever."

It was a simple request and yet the Madame was flooded with unexpected fervor and enthusiasm. The sudden flourish of responses almost overwhelmed the Madame's heavy heart and yet she had steeled herself for what is to come. It was another one of those boss rush quests that she was so fond of. The only difference is that she will have to do her fair share of boss killing. Well, in this case, vampire slaying.

She bade farewell to her companions as each one went on their separate paths. In the past, she was content to watch but now she had to take part as well. A good leader is not one who orders the most but one that sets a great example. Now she will meet these vampires that lords this area and she will make an example out of them.

Unsheathing the legendary artifact Baeoi, the Madame began her gritty task.

Baeoi show me your worth!

INTERLUDE - SERA

Her steps were heavy but her shoulders were heavier. She slogged through the dozens of carcasses on her wake. One can say she was a monster in her own right. Perhaps even the vampire lord at the end of the hall watching the woman sashay towards him was more or less mortified by the shocking image of this human spawn laying waste to his undead horde.

She was Serraida Mavajo, criminal, terrorist and one of the famed paragons. Her prowess has been measured, her strength proudly shown. There is only one thing left for her to do- eliminate the vampire lord and claim her blade as her own. But she does have her blade. It was a large thing, one can call it a greatsword, but the blade is wider than normal. This was after all to her specifications as the purpose of this blade would be shown next.

As she drew near the vampire lord, the woman's blade began to slowly unravel. Starting from the sides tiny flecks of metal, something similar to feathers, began to flutter away one by one until there is nothing but a slender version of the blade left. She faced the final enemy then, that slender sword held before her while dozens of metallic feathers surround her being.

This battle will be a quick one.

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

Gazing at the retreating backs of her past companions, the Madame felt a little bit sentimental. It was for a brief moment but that was more than enough for the Madame to tear up a bit. Wiping away that solitary clear liquid that seeped out of her eye hole, the Madame steeled her resolve. There is more work to do.

She shifted her gaze then to the farthest tower. It was a rather towering construction and she dreaded that the climb would be more than enough to defeat her. Still, it’s a necessary burden, one she must overcome in order to advance. She strode forward then, her sense heightened to the limits. Nothing or no one will ever catch her by surprise.

Her steps were firm, silent and cautious. Her legendary artifact Baeoi was already out of its sheath, its cold steel somewhat gleaming even within this city overrun by mists. The mist is too dense in this area and the Madame drew nearer to the tower, the mists will only get thicker and thicker.

Interlude – Annalea Telleon

The bulky woman waddled into the control room. It was a peculiar place, full of gears and chains and whatnots. This was was one of the few areas the denizens of Whispernight hadn’t completely destroyed yet. The reason, of course, was the creature that sat at the far end of the room.

It was a vampire, one of the so-called leaders that lords over the lower beings of this lands. The pale face sneered at the woman’s presence, contorting into a disgusted visage. Blood-red lips peeled back as it snarled, revealing the fangs the being was so proud of.

She moved then, barreling forward with her excessive bulk. There were more undead that rose from the shadow, each one trying their hardest to impede the charging monolith. Sadly, no one managed to stop her, nor at least reduce her death-inducing speed. She was a cannonball hurtling for the vampire lord.

The vampire did not have the time to move out of the way, not even raise his special sword, as the full force of Anna’s excessive bulk slammed into him. The obese woman roared as she pinned the vampire under her thunder thighs and began raining blows, her big meaty fists pounding the shit of the poor vampire lord.

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

Her solitary figure sashayed through the roiling mists. There was no amusement on her face, only stern concentration. This is no simple task after all. She was but one woman fighting against a horde of undead creatures and the vampire that lords all over them. She knew there was more than one lord and that was why she sent her companions to keep the other lords busy. This way she won’t have to deal the full brunt of this city’s godforsaken forces.

It was a funny thing but her overthinking the whole scenario only made her careless. She just realized now that many creatures are already shadowing her movements, all trailing after her. Some on her flanks, the others on her rear. She can sense them now, multitudes of them. Whatever they are, they aren’t human. Well, they used to be human.

There were multitudes of them, a horde of zombies. Were these the previous denizens of this land? The Madame did not know, nor did she ever care. What she was interested in is her prolonged survival. Yes, she will survive this battle.

Interlude

She was the seer, sometimes the oracle, but truth be told, Aslom was simply a woman trying to survive this word that she was pulled into. She had always thought this was just a simple game from her world but soon she realized this was a land entirely different from her home and it was too late for her to return from where she came from.

As a diviner, her class is a misrepresentation of her situation. She was forced by foreign gods into this land and given quests to clear. The contents of these quests do give her foresight regarding a certain situation or setting and this was what others misunderstood as her gift to see the future.

It did help however that she can at least predict the movements of most NPC mobs and this still holds true even in this city of Talix-Engine. Armed with a simple spear, she forced her way through the throng of undead mobs, paving a path towards the final boss himself, the vampire lord.

As she reached the vampire, their contact was a rather brief one, there was a quick flash of steel clashing against steel and Aslom was thrown away from the force of their clash. She may have broken bones but the vampire fared worse. Her spear has already pierced the vampire’s chest, the poor boss monster experiencing his final moments.

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

This feels bad. There's too many of them. Should I retreat?

It was a rare feeling but the Madame Linda Linda seemed to be having second thoughts about this encounter. On one hand, she could take them all on but then she would be too tired to battle the vampire lord. On the other hand, she could fall back and lose her pursuers but it would only make the vampire lord more cautious and might even increase the security around him.

Why are all vampire lords male, by the way? I do find it rather queer and disturbing.

While her thoughts began to stray, the zombies seemed to have finished their straying and are now converging on the poor Madame's location. This is a rather dire situation indeed.

Guess there's not much of a choice then.

Yellow eyes glanced about in the misty darkness, the Madame searching for the weakest link within this entrapment.

There! A little bit on my right! That should do it!

She hissed her defiance then, Baeoi whistling in the air as she began cutting through the mob of zombies while consciously heading towards her right. There was a narrow alley that way, slim enough for at most two people to pass.

This should work. This better work!

INTERLUDE - KHAKINA KHATUN

She was no longer human. This innocent little girl that was once known as Khakina Khatun has long since ceased to be the mundane human spawn that she once was. Now she's a monster but not just any monster, she is an amalgamation of dozens of monsters.

What hides within her body was the eldritch abomination known as Prty. It had invaded her nubile form and lived as a parasite. Unlike other abominations, Prty's nature was to feed and consume, devouring any living creature it had set its eyes on. Thanks to the first organism it had devoured, Khakina's homonculus, Prty's nature had changed into something that evolves with every organism it has consumed. It inherits all the advantageous qualities a consumed organism has but discards the more useless qualities. This combination was how the Pretty Paragon was created.

Now the Khakina the Pretty Paragon has finally set its eyes on the vampire lord. The vampire's minions were nothing but fodder to her. She had taken the time to devour each and every undead she approaches until she's full and brimming with energy. 

She unsheathed her blades then, a pair of slender bastard swords, whose ends can be connected with the sheathes to form a staff. The little girl moved then, streaking through the corridor's, her figure almost a blur as she rushed the vampire lord. The poor fanged creature barely had time to react before Khakin was already in front of him. His meager defenses were nothing before Khakina's overwhelming force and within minutes, the battle was over. Khakina was already straddling the poor thing, the eldritch abomination within her seeming to ooze out of her skin and onto the dying vampire, its slime like body slowly enveloping it in a hungry embrace.

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

Disgusting. I'm not doing this ever again!

Her face seemed to contort in disgust. The pile of rotting flesh and dead corpse juices were more than enough to make her wretch. She was thankful that Baeoi can cut through most of the undead but the resulting mess only made her regret her actions.

It's too late to regret now. I must keep on pushing forward.

She slogged then through all the bile and gore and rotting unmentionables. It seems the undead horde was content on simply observing her for now. She could still sense them waiting, watching on the sidelines.

Something doesn't feel right. Are they actually just watching or waiting for-

"Bloody bastards!" the Madame spat as a dozen or so creatures skittered down the buildings and began surrounding her. This was way different than the slow undead zombies she had been killing earlier.

"Just my luck. Ghouls. And these aren't really dead. Just mildly."

INTERLUDE - NATALYA OF IZRAL

The girl sauntered into the vampire's lair, her measured steps were nothing more than a show of arrogance. She was surrounded by creatures, monsters, all of them under her control. She was Natalya of Izral or the adopted daughter who was once known as Natalya Friggadotter.

Unlike the other's she was a summoner. Her prowess is measured by the strength of her summons. RIght now she had assembled her favorite menagerie. There are dire wolves, a banshee, and perhaps a miniature garantah (which is just a gorilla but with a long tail). With these under her command, she had lain waste along the scores of undead that impeded her path until she had reached the final confrontation with the undead leader himself, the ill-fated vampire lord.

The pale thing snarled and hissed as it prepared to fight. Natalya too prepared her resolve. She won't be killing this rare creature. She will tame this bloodsucker and train him to do her bidding. Chuckling she unsummoned her pets and walked towards the vampire lord.

Slow and steady.

Then the bloodsucker moved. There was a series of sparks then the vampire was down on his knees, a spear penetrating through his chest. The little girl was not yet done, taking away the vampire's treasured blade, she began to the binding process- the final act needed to enslave this vampire lord for her own pleasure.

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

This isn't what I expected. Not at all. Bloody ghouls.

The Madame spat as she the score of ghouls heading her way. They were circling her, like sharks. Slowly, cautiously closing in on her. Every step they make forward, her entrapment keeps getting smaller and smaller, tighter and tighter. 

I must say, this is quite the unsavory predicament. Oh, whatever shall I do?

She knew then that Baeoi would not be so useful here. Knowing that she is now facing living creatures. These ghouls were just beings transformed into something else. While one may call them undead, the Madame considered them living.

Living on other people's flesh maybe.

Nevertheless, she still kept the legendary artifact up and in the ready. There is another option here, and it is definitely not running.

I can still use Baeoi as a club. A legendary club!

THE MADAME LINDA LINDA

It was rather anticlimactic. The ghouls may have been a challenge for someone weaker, more mundane prey but the Madame never fit any of those criteria. She had survived a thousand fights and each one deadlier than the last. Ghouls were merely toys before her majesty.

Despite the odds stacked against her, the Madame had managed to come out on top. It was a simple solution really. If cutting the beasts are out of the equations, she merely needed to beat them to a pulp. So with the legendary artifact, she made use of Baeoi's blunt sides and its pommel to lay waste to those bloody ghouls. First, she aimed for the joints, then the limbs. Once the poor things are down on the ground spasming and jerking but unable to move away. She stepped on their heads, crushing them like bugs. Well, more like cockroaches.

With that threat gone, the Madame resumed her run. This time she had quickened her pace. It would not do well for her to be the last one to kill their respective vampire. It will only put her to shame.

Better hurry before the others accomplishes their objectives. Just how hard can killing one vampire lord be?