Ataraxy

Lilith Brings War to Nu Martyr

I need to wait for enough IC time to pass for Thurgood and Aveline to hear about the war, decide to do something, get their gear together, catch an aerostat to Renovatio, then learn what's going on, and only then act. It'll take a while before Aveline starts stalking and sniping paragons.

@Hurttoto

Renovatio is floating in the air! And since it is an island, it is surrounded by water as well. Right directly beneath it is another landmass known as Kalopsia, it too is an island but is in the water and not in the air like Renovatio.

@Ataraxy

I know you asked this forever ago and I wasn't able to get to you in time; Renovatio is ~4,000 miles in the air. 

35 minutes ago, Aleksei said:

@Ataraxy

I know you asked this forever ago and I wasn't able to get to you in time; Renovatio is ~4,000 miles in the air

This is something I talked to Dre about when rosinder was still rosinder but basically unless I’m mistaken this would put Reno basically out in space. For earth “space” starts at about 60 miles above the surface. If we double that (for the sloppy 2x rule of thumb) and give some +\- 10%, we get 120-132 (or 140) as a threshold before you’re out of the thermosphere and just between planets 

IRL planes go about 7-8 miles in the air. We (me and Dre) had discussed Reno being 5-10 miles in the air and didn’t get more specific than that before he stopped checking in. Now you can do with reno whatever you want including changing how high it floats or having that be variable but 4000 miles is INTENSE basically 

Edited by supernal

29 minutes ago, supernal said:

This is something I talked to Dre about when rosinder was still rosinder but basically unless I’m mistaken this would put Reno basically out in space. For earth “space” starts at about 60 miles above the surface. If we double that (for the sloppy 2x rule of thumb) and give some +\- 10%, we get 120-132 (or 140) as a threshold before you’re out of the thermosphere and just between planets 

IRL planes go about 7-8 miles in the air. We (me and Dre) had discussed Reno being 5-10 miles in the air and didn’t get more specific than that before he stopped checking in. Now you can do with reno whatever you want including changing how high it floats or having that be variable but 4000 miles is INTENSE basically 

We're all gonna be astronauts!!! 😁

3 hours ago, Die Shize said:

Perhaps Aleksei meant ~4000 meters?

I think 4,000 feet would be a little more reasonable. That's under a mile and would put it 1,280 feet below a certain spot on Denver's City Hall steps. 4,000 miles makes it a close-orbit natural sattelite.

1 hour ago, notmuch_23 said:

I think 4,000 feet would be a little more reasonable. That's under a mile and would put it 1,280 feet below a certain spot on Denver's City Hall steps. 4,000 miles makes it a close-orbit natural sattelite.

4000 meters is quite reasonable for this fantasy setting. 4000 meters is about 2.5 miles.

Assuming it's an accurate video, and while there's not a whole lot to see, here's how high that would put Renovatio:

Spoiler

Here's a chart for height comparisons all the way up to outer space for Earth:

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Earth/AltitudesChart.html

Now, 4000 feet is indeed about 1200 meters or .7 miles--still a bit off from reaching that 'mile high' mark.

Here's how high one mile is:

Spoiler

Can you tell the height differences in both videos? My depth perception is off, but it doesn't matter much either way, and that's the point. 4000 feet or 4000 meters, either way Renovatio is healthily beneath 4000 miles, fantasy setting or not lol

Talk, talk, talk, they brought us here for war didn’t they?

I want to fight some undead things. The Watchers are in the capital city. Their purpose is threefold: Defend the city, keep the crown hidden and turn the living dead into the even more dead.

1 minute ago, Sir Nathaniel said:

I want to fight some undead things. The Watchers are in the capital city. Their purpose is threefold: Defend the city, keep the crown hidden and turn the living dead into the even more dead.

After my next post Undead hordes will be rising en masse, so your Watchers should have a fun siege to deal with!

As for the main Attacker characters, we're starting quite a bit away from the city of NM so it might take a while for us to reach the city itself. 

1 hour ago, Sir Nathaniel said:

I was 'posed to have a post up this morning but my day turned hectic lol

I plan on posting tonight good sir

13 hours ago, supernal said:

You could have just said your last statement; my statement was a mistake (the miles; I don't spell check with my phone 😐 I am that person) but also a conversation that had been discussed EOOOONNNNNNNSSS ago between I and Dre! I understand with that wishy-washy kind of situation, things get a little (hella!) fuddled in the end due to the exchange between a thousand hands. So, if you two had already decided EMPHATICALLY on a distance, then I need to know for reals.