Tyler

What religion and/or how religious are your characters?

Let's keep going with the "asking questions about your characters" series. So, obviously this one bears the risk of accidentally sparking a heated argument. So... just don't say anything that would cause that, please. What I'm asking for here is your character's religious beliefs, what motivates them to follow a god or gods, or spirits, or aliens, or absolutely nothing at all! 

I, in particular, am curious how many Terran characters are actually Gaianists. I suspect there will be very few compared to what the default of the population is supposed to be, but I'm interested to see it regardless.

I'd love to do a poll census on this, but you'd only be able to vote on behalf of one character, so it wouldn't really work. lol However, I have a solution for those who want to voluntarily participate in a different kind of census. Just state one of the following, color-coded and in bold, near your character's name:

Spoiler

Gaianism

Major Genesarian Religion (one of the three major ones mentioned in the lore article)

Minor Genesarian Religion

Tellas Mater

Real World Religion

Other

Agnostic/Multi-religious

Atheist

If your character is non-practicing, but still quasi-believes in a particular faith, you can just add (non-practicing) after the label.

8 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I, in particular, am curious how many Terran characters are actually Gaianists. I suspect there will be very few compared to what the default of the population is supposed to be, but I'm interested to see it regardless.

That HAS to be the case because the default population is in the hundred millions and active players are in the dozens or tens of dozens at the most

What the default population is will generally vary from what players play because player characters trend towards being exceptional or outliers rather than towards being status quo and ordinary

Odin, Twizzen, Patrick, Yates, and Eustace are all varying forms of Gaianist

Faustus is agnostic; he doesn't believe in an omnipotent personal god but does believe in god-like or deific entities because he's killed several 

Evelyn is an atheist and a materialist, which feeds pretty nicely into their engineering and synthesis fields of expertise 

Arthur, Ruiser, and my various Dali members (Halisera, Ampelos, Eldwine) are followers of the Uncanny Gods, a Rosinder religion which is very, very minor since Rosinder became Elendaron and Elendaron became sucked into the spirit world or something 

Walmart is a sun worshipper 

Edited by supernal

1 minute ago, supernal said:

Faustus is agnostic; he doesn't believe in an omnipotent personal god but does believe in god-like or deific entities because he's killed several

I love this as a basis for personal religious beliefs. "I believe in gods because I've killed 'em before."

1 minute ago, supernal said:

Walmart is a sun worshipper 

I also just love this quote without any context.

One of James's core beliefs is that "Gods, goddesses, and deities could be respected, but never relied upon". He does not worship any of them, but does not go out of his way to be blatantly disrespectful to the pantheons he has encountered either.

Roen used to make sacrifices to and make worship of the Bloody Seer, but I sort-of drew away from that as I grew older, so we stopped that. 

Tarquinius, my paladin, worships a Gaian God called Falis. The phonetics keep him from praying out loud, because people tend to make fun and he’s a gentle soul.

Personally, I don't agree with other religious practices/views. Christianity is what I follow. Tho, even if the outside of Christianity practices are within a fictional story, so I don't dabble with the sort or take part in stories that involve it.

Edited by EtherealWings

Did someone say religion?

Allow me to introduce the fastest growing religion in Terrenus:

The Cothic Church

My character Constans believes in the god of all Cothites, patron of the town of Coth, the one true king of Terrenus, successor to Gaia, and champion of all people sick of fragile mortal government, rapacious nobility, and false faiths. 

The Cothite Church is a revolutionary religion valuing personal freedom and liberty, and a dogmatic rejection of strict and inhumane social orders. It's heavily inspired by early Christianity, except with more prostitutes.

Why follow a king, whose justice dies with him, when you have a god as your ruler and enjoy an unlimited era of stability? This was the argument made in the wake of the troubles of Terrenus's Civil war, and while it's appealed to NPCs aplentiful, I'm also proud to say it's managed to attract ~10 fantastic writers who have actually had their characters choose to believe in it. 

Which, as previously stated, is sort of a miracle of its own, considering how everyone always loves to hate on organized religion. But the Cothite Church is Chaotic to Neutral Good at best, and I think people can learn to love a god who loves freedom and honest justice. 

Edited by Vansin

Lilith doesn't believe in a "religion" per se, but she has a great... shall we say respect for the concept of power. She won't worship a being as that opposes the belief of individual power and sovereignty, just as she'd never ask others to worship her. Bend knee to her, sure, but never worship.

Titus is interesting. He comes from a place that believes in a single god, the Creator. But it's a faith based religion in that only His miracles have been witnessed, not the being itself. Titus has become disillusioned with the belief and is now in an uncertain spot where his faith is concerned. Teresa believes in the Creator but not in the City of Angel's structured religion.

Marik just believes in freedom. For one and all.

Alexander Hawk, I would say, is a non-practicing Gaianist.

Edited by Ataraxy

All of my characters worship me as their only true god. I created them, I control them, I own them. I tapped them into existence with my fingers at the keyboard. I can kill each one with one word. If they’re hungry, it’s because I made them hungry. If they’re full, it’s because I just fed them bacon and eggs. They all belong to me. And they know it.

Buuuuut I’m getting a few other followers too, slowly but surely.

Shizeism

/passes pamphlets

16 minutes ago, Vansin said:

Allow me to introduce the fastest growing religion in Terrenus

"Join Coth! We've grown from one hundred worshipers to three hundred worshipers just this year! That's an increase of 200%! Can other religions say they are growing that fast? I think not!"

Just razzin' ya a little there, rival friend.

Anyway, here's my characters:

Erin Hale - Agnostic/Multi-religious - She originates from Earth, so she is Christian at base, but she took a trip through Tamriel and learned of their gods, then arrived in Valcure and learned they had many more gods. Because she's seen legitimate effects of some of the gods in the non-Earth worlds, she acknowledges them and sometimes prays (secretly) to multiple deities.

Shayne Haydes - Other (Directivism) - Shayne is a rather overzealous devotee to my own Valucrean religion, which is also based on Christianity, but basically on the opposite spectrum as Vansin's Coth (look at the bright side, we can have Crusades soon!). Anyway, Shane is devoted enough to commit mass murder for his beliefs, even if his beliefs are a bit beyond those of the rest of the Directivist faithful.

Abigail Karradeen - Gaianism (non-practicing) - I don't really know what religion is really dominant on Ursa Madeum, so I default to Gaianism for Abigail. But it's more of a formality for ceremonies or a basis for swear words and expletives (tehehe) than a legitimate faith. She's pretty agnostic otherwise. (Though you could argue that money is the true god of House Karradeen.)

Nikki Stratton - Gaianism - Not an overly devoted follower, but she came from a Gaianist family so she follows the religion, or what she knows of it anyway. She was raised in the backwater regions of Terrenus, so the actual reach of the proper religion might have been slightly incomplete, I don't know. It doesn't factor into her character a lot.

Rodan Allagi - Agnostic/Multi-religious - He doesn't really follow any religion, but he acknowledges the existence of gods. He even believes himself a demigod, as his mysterious and never seen father may have been a god... he doesn't know.

Joseph Tynes - Other (Directivism) - Also a follower of the Norkotian faith, though his belief in the religion is a little more out of his belief that it is better for the individual, the culture and civilization than his genuine belief in the mother goddess figure.

Mara Mercer - Atheist - She was once a Directivist, like other Norkotians, but after the deaths of her family members, she stopped believing in, or just in general giving a shit about, gods and angels and spirits and stuff. She pretty much just does what she personally feels is right, now.

15 minutes ago, Vansin said:

@Tyler

Hah!

That's literally how I can get away with saying it!

Truly, my pride is all in attracting the real people. Anyone can hand themselves myriad NPCs, after all. 

And yessss. Can't wait for those crusades. 

I sense another NFS play test opportunity