supernal

Most significant character events

What's the most significant thing your character has done or experience? In terms of actual written out roleplay vs narrative events in the backstory 

This can be at the plot level, like the most significant thing for a particular arc or storyline, or at the character level, the most significant thing for their individual experience - and it can be something they did or something that was done to them 

For those players with a dozen characters to work through, give it to us one at a time rather than as a massive info dump. More opportunities for continuous engagement that way! 

Edited by supernal

One of the most eventful things that happened to me on Valucre IC and OOC was something that was totally out of the blue with my character Kaori.

Years ago, her first roleplay was in Blairville during the inauguration (or something) of the Regent of Blairville, Suta’s character Katamus.

Loopy Kaori dropped her precious ball of rubber bands that some other PC split apart because jerkface. It broke Kaori. She cried. Hard.

Then all of a sudden, the Regent lifts her up and invites her and other PCs to dine with him.

All of a sudden, at dinner, Kaori waltzes up to Katamus and proposes to him. Kaori because emotional and grateful Kaori, me because LOL.

And what do you know, Suta/Katamus accepts. The two are married and go on a later adventure in the mountains during the Cold Snap.

In large part because none of this was planned, all of it totally spontaneous, this was one of the most significant events that happened to me as a roleplayer and to my Playable Character. After Suta went AFV, I kinda put Kaori on pause, ‘cause I/she didn’t know what to do without her hubby. But just writing about it now makes me realize how this is actually a great basis to continue her arc (right, because pulling out another one of my dozen+ characters into activity is just what I need lolz).

So far, for Constans, the major two big events that have happened were holy miracles. 

I named Constans Constans because my original idea for a character was inspired by Emperor Constantine's religious experience at the Milvian Bridge where he saw the initials of Christ in the sky and was told that if he put them on the shields of his men he would defeat his rival for the throne. And then he did. 

For Constans, he was enveloped in a mile-high tornado of green fire as God reached into him and subjected him to thousands of visions about the future for a period of around six or so hours. This event was highly visible and the miraculous column of fire was the light that attracted Coth's first refugee settlers-- essentially a few hundred people who wanted to see what the hell had just happened. When they arrived at the base of the column they found Constans all full of God's wisdom and they liked the cut of his jib and that's the story of how Coth started. 

His other big deal event was the second miracle in which Coth was set on fire by a band of marauding barbarians. Because of one very irresponsible elf friend (ahem @KittyvonCupcake) Constans was away from Coth exploring a dungeon and so by the time he came back Coth was half burned to the ground. 

On this occasion, God turned his eye so powerfully on the world that the sun turned green, a canonical event that lasted for about 10 minutes earlier on in the year, and which could be seen literally anywhere in Terrenus during that short time. While the sun was green, Constans' power was heightened to such a degree that he could reach out his hand and one-by-one, snuff out each fire until all of Coth was put out.

Like the column of fire, this served as another beacon, this time across the entire face of Terrenus, signaling that a new and incredible power had arisen from the little town of Coth. 

Because of it, when I write Constans in nearby cities and towns, I write that the people have heard of the Cothic God and his faithful Cothites, even if only by rumor. I've taken a lot of joy in progressively and slowly noting the creep of Coth's influence as it accumulates citizens and influence in Terrenus!

Rather than a single event or thread, Lilith's most significant action is the creation of the Cult of Power. The creation and spread of the cult is essentially the amalgamation of all her threads. Almost every one of the Cult's threads has resulted in the addition of new player and non-player characters. And it hasn't just been in Terrenus, but Genesaris and Renovatio as well, though the latter two areas are recent. 

What I find so significant about the Cult is that it's not an organization, group, or structured religion. Rather it's a single belief in the authoritarian properties of power obtainment. It doesn't matter whether you're good, bad, or in-between- only your desire for power holds any weight in the Cult. And Lilith's consistent spread of this belief from the past, around 2 and a half OOC years, has been very significant to, I believe, Valucre as a whole not just Lilith. 

Everyone wants power, but it's not always to be the most powerful. Sometimes it's to save someone or to get revenge or to prove yourself or even to save yourself from bullies or criminals. Maybe to break yourself out of that criminal world. The reasons are endless and the Cult creates opportunities to touch on every single one of them. 

Some people have asked me how I can say that the cult isn't structured when there's an obvious hierarchy with Lilith at the top. Well, hierarchies exist in everything. That's just the way the world works, but there's no official hierarchy. Everything is decided by power. What kind of power? Whatever you've got. 

And Lilith doesn't require people to worship her. It's like making a deal with the devil. But instead of having your wish granted, you awaken the ability to do it yourself. But all magic comes at a cost. In this case, loyalty. Not worship or absolute obedience. Loyalty. 

And the fact that the cult has spread across Valucre in these past years, even among the actual player characters, is extremely significant to Lilith, but also myself as well since the ideology behind the Cult's belief system is something I find to be a really fun thought experiment. 

Small tangent lol but yeah. Individual power and sovereignty

40 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

Some people have asked me how I can say that the cult isn't structured when there's an obvious hierarchy with Lilith at the top. Well, hierarchies exist in everything. That's just the way the world works, but there's no official hierarchy. Everything is decided by power. What kind of power? Whatever you've got. 

It’s an interesting and somewhat decentralized hierarchy but it’s a hierarchy nonetheless. It’s a group and an organization. One based off kratocratic ideals and asymmetrical compared to more strictly organized hierarchies but nonetheless! A homeowners’s assiciation isn’t any less of a group or organization than a military, just a different kind with different concerns and motivations and different levels to their hierarchy 

I’m also curious about the part that says it doesn’t matter if you’re good or bad - favoring attainment and consolidation of power, of advantage, at any cost and over any other value tends to lead to much more mercenary actions than altruistic actions. How many members actually identify as good? Or do good things with their power? I’m curious because the answers might surprise me! In terms of desire and method aside from switching a few labels around and having more structure to the org I don’t see COP as being ideologically different than say the Dead for example, who also want power however you might define it 

I will say that COP has been spreading like fire, and no small part of that has been Lilith’s / your consistent and aggressive (in the best way) advertising tactics - you built it and they flocked. I’d say the creation of the cult counts as a single event even if not tied to a specific thread 

### edit

Also I kind of feel you can’t really say they have individual sovereignty since they’re supernaturally compelled into loyalty to Lilith via her mark. Whether she constantly uses this to make people do their bidding doesn’t change the fact she can at her own whim

Edited by supernal

32 minutes ago, supernal said:

It’s an interesting and somewhat decentralized hierarchy but it’s a hierarchy nonetheless. It’s a group and an organization. One based off kratocratic ideals and asymmetrical compared to more strictly organized hierarchies but nonetheless! A homeowners’s association isn’t any less of a group or organization than a military, just a different kind with different concerns and motivations and different levels to their hierarchy 

*Shrugs* All religions are flawed in some way. 

It definitely has a hierarchy though, I just want to point out I said that it doesn't have an official hierarchy or structure. Such as the military or most jobs where there is and you need to be "promoted" in order to rise through the ranks. Since everything about the Cult is de facto, ie by choice, there are no ranks much less promotions. Where you are in the pecking order is decided by who you can force to acknowledge that you're above them. 

I disagree that's an organization though. By definition an organization is "an organized body of people with a particular purpose, especially a business, society, association, etc." The Cult may be centralized in the belief of power obtainment, but the purpose of why you obtain that power is far and wide. So in that sense it does and doesn't have a particular purpose. However, it's not an organized body of people. Think about vampires. Would you consider all vampires to be part of the same organization simply because they've been turned into vampires and all need blood to survive? The Cult follows the same concept. You have to swear loyalty to your sire, sure, but I don't think you can group all Vampire (in this case one of the species) as an organization. The Cult is certainly not organized in any size, shape, or manner. 

But I will admit that depending on your definition of organization, you might be able to squeeze the Cult in there if you branch off into large qualifications and exceptions lol

41 minutes ago, supernal said:

I’m also curious about the part that says it doesn’t matter if you’re good or bad - favoring attainment and consolidation of power, of advantage, at any cost and over any other value tends to lead to much more mercenary actions than altruistic actions. How many members actually identify as good? Or do good things with their power? I’m curious because the answers might surprise me! In terms of desire and method aside from switching a few labels around and having more structure to the org I don’t see COP as being ideologically different than say the Dead for example, who also want power however you might define it 

Well, so far it there aren't any players that have taken that challenge. There are NPC doctors/healers and such in the cult that joined to be able to save people (Lilith would call on them in situations where healing is required beyond her necromantic abilities such as where Holy Healing is needed), but no one has taken that up yet. I'd venture to say that this is because even though characters don't have to follow Lilith after joining the Cult, most people do and Lilith's actions aren't, shall we say, necessarily empathetic. But, then again, who's empathetic to the bugs we squash whenever we walk outside?

@vielle's character was kind of good for a time, but Lilith found certain of his emotions weak and forced him to "purge" himself of them. Was an interesting thread haha @Thotification generally uses his Paragons for semi-altruistic stuff. I know the mistress, er, the madame has been doing more and more good stuff. Though the madame herself is more allied with the cult under Lilith than she is part of it. 

I think that's too be expected though. The majority of personalities that want power and those that need it because there's some obstacle forcing them down. More often than not, what's keeping them down are things like society and law enforcement. So naturally, that's reflected in the player characters. I definitely hope to see more good characters join up though. We already have a bunch of evil and neutral lol

@amenities and I actually have talked about the comparison between the two at great length and concluded that the two were fundamentally different. I apologize since I can't remember the exact reasons we came to the conclusion, but it had something to do with the Dead being an almost paramilitary organization whereas the Cult is more just people who believe in a similar ideology using each other to advance their place in the world's power hierarchy. It's almost like trying to compare something that focuses on being a team and "one of us" to something that was created for individual empowerment. If a Dead member kills another Dead member for no reason, I assume there would be some kind of backlash. Or if s/he leaves the Dead, they become an enemy of the Dead essentially. Whereas in the Cult if you kill another Cult member, nothing happens except the other members acknowledge your rising power. If you leave, there's no backlash. There's a backlash from removing the mark, but other that that Lilith couldn't care less. 

Further, the Dead, as far as I can see, don't want "power" so much as they want the ability to influence. You can argue that the two are intrinsically linked, and you'd be partially correct, but they're far from the same thing. The Cult want the world to kneel before them. The Dead want to control it. In my opinion, those to goals are separated on a fundamental level. Just because the word kneels, doesn't mean you actually control it. They can still resist, there's just the known threat of being destroyed. On the flip side, controlling the world doesn't mean they'll kneel before you as if you're controlling them properly they wouldn't even know they're being controlled. And blackmailing someone to do something for you is very different from making them cower at your feet. 

So, similar in result but different in foundation. That's how I see it. 

1 hour ago, supernal said:

I will say that COP has been spreading like fire, and no small part of that has been Lilith’s / your consistent and aggressive (in the best way) advertising tactics - you built it and they flocked. I’d say the creation of the cult counts as a single event even if not tied to a specific thread 

Thanks! And fair enough. I see it more as a single action than a single event, but that's just semantics lmao either term is fine I guess. 

Just wait until I'm done working on the Cult's trailer 😄 Gonna be dope af

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Also I kind of feel you can’t really say they have individual sovereignty since they’re supernaturally compelled into loyalty to Lilith via her mark. Whether she constantly uses this to make people do their bidding doesn’t change the fact she can at her own whim

Yup! That's exactly one of the most fun flaws of Lilith's marking system. I enjoy pitting what she does at odds with what she believes she's doing. Any good religious leader character is somewhat of a hypocrite. That's what makes them interesting lmao

The idea is that Lilith believes in an individual's right to freedom, power, and sovereignty. So she unlocks that in them. Gives them the ability to stand up whatever authority kept them down. She believes this is giving them the power to get their freedom and declare their own sovereignty. But Lilith isn't a philanthropist. So she will increase your power in return for you increasing her power, and that just happens to come in the form of loyalty.

Which, like you argued, actually also works to inhibit them from true sovereignty. 

It's an amusing paradox and love playing with and to talk about at great length. Deal with the devil. Better of two evils. Sell your soul to gain a soul. An amusing concept to say the least.

17 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

*Shrugs* All religions are flawed in some way. 

/places hands on shoulder to block the shrug midway; struggles

I don't consider that a flaw. Also I deliberately left out the world religion here. On that point we both agree - the words I used were hierarchy and organization and those definitely apply

I disagree that's an organization though. By definition an organization is "an organized body of people with a particular purpose, especially a business, society, association, etc." The Cult may be centralized in the belief of power obtainment, but the purpose of why you obtain that power is far and wide. So in that sense it does and doesn't have a particular purpose. However, it's not an organized body of people. Think about vampires. Would you consider all vampires to be part of the same organization simply because they've been turned into vampires and all need blood to survive? The Cult follows the same concept. You have to swear loyalty to your sire, sure, but I don't think you can group all Vampire (in this case one of the species) as an organization. The Cult is certainly not organized in any size, shape, or manner. 

The particular purpose is "the obtainment of power above all else". The why is never even a question that needs to be asked. Just the fact that they are organized (hint hint) around the collection of advantage gives them a particular purpose

I would not consider vampires part of the same organization and consider this a bad example because you're talking about a biological imperative. They don't get to choose not to eat - they need it to survive. The cult members do not need to accrue power or die - maybe some of them do but as you said the reasons vary, but the objective does not. A better example would be a specific sect of vampires who only desire to feed of virgin blood, who talk to one another and coordinate acquisition of virgin blood (as the cult members organize around the acquisition of artifacts or actions like the burning of Everrun)

Wikipedia with my comments in parenthesis: "An organization or organisation is an entity comprising multiple people (members of the cult of power as identified by their parallel goals and a specific brand), such as an institution or an association, that has a particular purpose (the acquisition of power)"

It requires no squeezing or overly broad qualifications. By the definition of the word organization, the cult is an organization

That said I am helpless but to cede your point about the cult lacking a mechanism by which one moves through the hierarchy. On that I have failed to stop the shrug

Well, so far it there aren't any players that have taken that challenge. There are NPC doctors/healers and such in the cult that joined to be able to save people (Lilith would call on them in situations where healing is required beyond her necromantic abilities such as where Holy Healing is needed), but no one has taken that up yet. I'd venture to say that this is because even though characters don't have to follow Lilith after joining the Cult, most people do and Lilith's actions aren't, shall we say, necessarily empathetic. But, then again, who's empathetic to the bugs we squash whenever we walk outside?

I totally get you on this point. It's the rubicon between the lore as written and the lore as played out with players trending towards exceptionalism rather than status quo. It could be that a majority of the cult is neutral or even good, but just that the players who actively play it are more mercenary; all that does is talk to player choices and not to the cult's fabric as-written 

Further, the Dead, as far as I can see, don't want "power" so much as they want the ability to influence. You can argue that the two are intrinsically linked, and you'd be partially correct, but they're far from the same thing. The Cult want the world to kneel before them. The Dead want to control it. In my opinion, those to goals are separated on a fundamental level. Just because the word kneels, doesn't mean you actually control it. They can still resist, there's just the known threat of being destroyed. On the flip side, controlling the world doesn't mean they'll kneel before you as if you're controlling them properly they wouldn't even know they're being controlled. And blackmailing someone to do something for you is very different from making them cower at your feet. 

Here is a definition of power: "the capacity or ability to direct or influence the behavior of others or the course of events."

I don't have to argue that the two are linked. Language is doing the heavy lifting for me on that end. I also think I'm more than partially correct, unless that part happens to be a majority, and that the two are much, much closer to one another than they are "far from the same thing". I think you're the one that can arguably argue that they're different in the nuanced interpretations that both of these groups apply, when you get down to the nitty gritty, but in the broad strokes, they want the same thing and have different ways of getting it and different intentions for using it. But they want the same thing - power advantage, influence. Pick your synonym at will

Yup! That's exactly one of the most fun flaws of Lilith's marking system. I enjoy pitting what she does at odds with what she believes she's doing. Any good religious leader character is somewhat of a hypocrite. That's what makes them interesting lmao

LOL got 'em

Paradoxes, complex situations, convoluted psychologies - the stuff that RP dreams are made of

Edited by supernal

Oh boy... strictly speaking on screen... um, let's go with Nikki Stratton.

Most significant moment for her was a moment she didn't realize even happened. After helping two other adventurers and a forest guardian defeat a crazed wolf monster, she accidentally got... shall we say "infected"... with a mental/telepathic connection to a mad deity that had previously been controlling the wolf monster. She didn't notice it much at first, but over time that mad deity has essentially buried itself into her mind and subconsciousness, slowly driving her insane while also beginning to mutate her body. 

About the Cult-Dead discussion:

The Dead = Illuminati

The Cult = The Sith Order

Boom. I'm out.

Okay, that was really just based on one particular description of the two above. And I'm stating that mainly for humorous effect. That said, the Cult do remind me of the Sith in the sense of promising you "Freedom" through "Power"... by surrendering yourself to a master who forces you to do what they want or else... hmm...

Edited by Tyler

3 hours ago, supernal said:

Who met who and what? 

Leoa approached him in Orisia, which eventually led to him chasing after her to Renovatio. It set off his ambition, which led to the creation of the Corvinite Empire. 

Cassandra - was granted the power to manipulate ideas by an unknown being, murdered her best friend, literally destroyed a chunk of the Gaian academy on her first try. That was her first thread and her "origin story"

Anatase - grabbed an infinity cornerstone by using a suit powered by time-dilating sapphires to speedrun into the eye of a magestorm.

I haven't done anything I consider super significant with my main two (Carina and Rozharon) yet. Hope I get the time soon for an impactful solo thread for each of them though.

Edited by Csl

Gormaric actually has several significant events to his name: The first, as part of the mercenaries hired to defeat Remissio, he discovered tunnels + portals that Remissio's army used to fast travel beneath the Broken Plains. Using these as he pursued them, he caught up to them, and with the help of Neque, grabbed ahold of several of Remissio's memories. He then struck the final blow on the corrupted paladin*. And, ah, also ensured Diligence's death in the process. Whoopsie.

The second, resurrecting his master Neque in a ritual that freed him from the Shadow King's service. This ritual also resulted in the loss of his horse Zenith, and Neque gifted him his wyvern Eri in recompense. Beyond the significance to Gormaric, this led to the chain of events in which Neque and Sibyla established Aligoria... though that is a subject for another post.

The third and final, Gormaric oversaw the repair of the breach of Inns'th's wall. He not only succeeded in doing so in spite of the best efforts of Yh'mi to break through, but even used a shipment of Uru generously donated by Aligoria to strengthen the wall even further. ... Granted, neither that thread nor the one in which Aligoria's Uru mine are established are quite finished yet, but that is the intended outcome. 👀

*Well, to be fair, the cause of Remissio's death was not by his blade exactly, though he likely helped the process along. However, given the circumstances of the corrupted paladin's death, there's not really evidence against Gormaric's claims that he was the one who killed Remissio dead. So there.

10 hours ago, supernal said:

For those players with a dozen characters to work through, give it to us one at a time rather than as a massive info dump. More opportunities for continuous engagement that way! 

I feel...called out 😂 kidding, kidding~

I'll probably have to go with House Hildebrand again, and then work my way down the list soon:

• Varda Hildebrand
    • written out roleplay - assassination attempt in contemporary movement, which led to a debilitating injury she is still recovering from
    • narrative events in the backstory - Lord Strom's death and her subsequent rise to headship of House Hildebrand, dragging her into a position with a momentous burden of responsibility on her shoulders
  • Jasper Hildebrand
    • written out roleplay - assassination attempt in contemporary movement, which led to his left hand getting cut off and replaced with a prosthetic
    • narrative events in the backstory - murdering his father; no hint of remorse or grief
  • Aspen Hildebrand
    • written out roleplay - assassination attempt in contemporary movement; despite not getting physically injured, has left faint symptoms of PTSD
    • narrative events in the backstory - the first time she discovered her powers (the spark), and the subsequent decision to speak nothing of this, lest she face discrimination and prejudice
  • Nairne Hildebrand
    • written out roleplay - assassination attempt in contemporary movement; realized the inadequacy of his skills when it comes to life-threatening scenarios
    • narrative events in the backstory - the onset of his mother's sickness, which served as a turning point that shifted all his focus from his personal endeavors to taking care of Lady Lynae
  • Esme Hildebrand
    • written out roleplay - what's funny about this is that I've planned an elaborate plotline for her that's currently/permanently(?) on-hold because @roboblu went AFV 😭 hoping and praying she comes back soon to do some fun drama 🙏
    • narrative events in the backstory - Lord Strom's death; she's never really fully recovered from the shock yet