jaistlyn

What’s the meaning of your character’s name?

Oooohh...I like this one...

Midian "Middy" Ochre- Midian would mean middle here then "Middy" is derived from her first name so it would work with her surname "Ochre" so her name would sound similar to "mediocre."

Serraida Mavajo - Serraida was derived from the name Zoraida. The 'Sera" is a cute way of saying the Filipino word "sira" which both means broken/damaged and to close, to signify Serra's damaged mind and her close-mindedness. Mavajo is a bastardization of the Filipino word "mabaho" which means smelly or foul which represents Sera's excessive use of crude and vile language.

Rozharon Paralios - Rozharon is essentially Rose of Sharon combined, which is a flower that's mentioned a few times in the Song of Solomon. I can't remember my original reasoning for making that her name, but Paralios is a Greek term for by the sea/sea coast. That's in line with the idea that Roz perceives the void between realiyies as an ocean and the universes are trapped within bubbles, and Roz drifts between worlds doing the bidding of her creator.

Cassandra Sieversal - Cassandra from the Greek prophet nobody believed since Cass keeps claiming Valucre isn't real. Which is technically true. She has a slight meta awareness of the world's fictionality and can differentiate NPCs from PCs and views everything outside  written, in-character text as nonexistent. Sieversal is from Malus sieversii, the scientific name of the first apple species. Went with the theme of forbidden knowledge there, since she pursued knowledge, got her wish, and is now plagued by constant existential dread by her meta-awareness.

51 minutes ago, jaistlyn said:

Matahari Chaya is from Malay as well. Matahari means Sun, the literal translation being mata = eye and hari = day (eye of the day.)

This is neat! Malay's in the same language family as Filipino and mata still translates to eye here but hari = king which I find pretty cool since he's a princess' bodyguard! Also could be translated to be "the eyes of the king/monarch" which is cool x 2.

25 minutes ago, Csl said:

This is neat! Malay's in the same language family as Filipino and mata still translates to eye here but hari = king which I find pretty cool since he's a princess' bodyguard! Also could be translated to be "the eyes of the king/monarch" which is cool x 2.

Coolios! Yeah I know Malay and Filipino are the same family, they even look almost the same when written out, but I totally can’t understand it lol. (Disclaimer: I only have around a middle-school knowledge of Malay.) It’s not as close as Malay vs Indonesian. But hari = king is super awesome in this context!

I have more!

Meritio, my boy mage, is from Romeo and Juliet’s Mercutio. Mercutio was the first person to die in the play, and that changed the mood from light-hearted to something more serious. I’ve always intended for Meritio to start as an innocent weakling boy and turn into something more dark and much more powerful (hasn’t happened yet though!)

The obvious reason for my actor ‘Dash’s stage name is that he is ‘dashing’, but there is a sadder story behind it. As a child, he ran away from his abusive mother, and lived on the streets for years. He survived by being a thief, and no one could catch him because he was so fast. That’s why the other children on the streets called him “Dash”.

Cadence Shearwill is another one of my boy characters - he’s a pilot. ‘Cadence’ is the name of one of the systems I used in my previous job, and Shearwill is a play on ‘sheer will’ - his father was an adventurer, and he’s fast following those footsteps.

Walmart Pentium Amazon’s name is because I thought those would be funny and I was right

If I scratched the surface a bit I’d say he has a mercenary capitalistic disposition (Walmart), smart / animal cunning (pentium chips) and is also a bit of a wild man (amazon) 

Edited by supernal

Constans is named after the Emperor Constantine, and as I've mentioned before in some of these Q/A threads, I modeled Constans' foundational religious experience off of Constantine's own, when he saw the initials of Christ before the battle of the Milvian Bridge

Viscerex is named Viscerex because the name Viscerex is fucking sick. 

Edited by Vansin

There was an old Legend of Zelda comic released in 1992, which was published in weekly volumes of the older Nintendo Power magazines. During the course of these comics, the hero is challenged by an errant knight for the right to wield his magic sword. He was skilled, arrogant, and deeply flawed, until his redemptive moment and his death.  The knight’s name was Roam, and he was way, way cooler than the hero. 

Anyway, these comics and a few books later (I’m looking at you, David Eddings) I had the mad-lad idea to pretend I was something else in an AOL chat room, but I needed a name. A few letter swaps and a diachronic change later, and you’ve got yourselves a Roen. Not the most amazing story, but still.. everyone has a start. It’s special to me. The name has endured over the years, much like the character has. 

Lilith was the name of, depending on the lore, the first demon in existence or the first woman to have ever been created. Sometimes both. It stems from a Jewish myth that before Eve, there was Lilith who was created from the same clay that Adam was. But Lilith wasn't subservient to Adam and ultimately left the Garden of Eden. In the hebrew-language texts, Lilith means "Night Creature" and I found that extremely fitting for what I had in mind for my Necromancer. My knowledge of Lilith in religious texts is that her story isn't consistent across all platforms and a lot of the mythology was lost to time. But even without all that backstory, I probably would've chosen Lilith anyways. It just sounds dark and foreboding lol

Reiter was a type of Calvary in the Holy Roman Empire that in modern English can be loosely translated to mean "Black Rider" and, iirc, were elite Calvary. Not only does it go with her "dark" theme but it also flows well with Lilith. Lilith Reiter. At the time of creating her character I didn't actually know what Reiter meant, it'd just been the last name of a character in some movie I watched but couldn't remember and it sounded cool lol

Joanna Vyse was named after my favorite female MMA fighter Joanna Jedrzejczyk. She's pretty badass.

@Thotification Ha, I did not get that "mediocre" pun until now either.

But I did not miss the "Holly Sheathe" pun. 🤣

Anyway, since it will make the post a big long, I'm actually gonna post some Minor Character and NPC names first, and I'll do my player characters later:

Firmus & Rychus Karradeen: Abigail's father and uncle, respectively. Both are named for imperial officers in different Star Wars media.

Trinity Wallace: This cowboy merc's name is a vague reference to the villain in the movie "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance". He only appeared or was mentioned a couple times in my early Norkotia threads, but he survived and I'm keeping him alive for possible future use.

John Dicken: Dicken's backstory is he was once a respected squire for House Karradeen, but got demoted to serf for a minor offense by Abigail's "evil stepmother". Well, when Abigail launched her plot to assassinate her half-brother, she knew Dicken hated her half-brother's mother, and the boy by extension, so she hired him to shoot the boy during a pirate attack on Gold Harbor. Dicken's last name is a tribute to a character named Dicken from the classic Robin Hood movie, who was a former knight that was demoted by King Richard, and who was promised his station restored if he managed to assassinate the king on behalf of the villain, Prince John. His actual appearance and personality are based on Ian Mercer from the Pirates of the Caribbean series, though.

Randolph Krieger: Last name means "Warrior" in German. The intention is for the character to see more action as Norkotia gets involved in more conflicts, and his personality is of a man who literally lives for war itself.

Scott "Scoot" Deckel: His first name and nickname are both joking tributes to the character he was based on, Team Fortress 2's "Scout" class. He also had the nickname "the cap guy" throughout most of the thread he was involved in, and Deckel is a German word for "hat" or "lid".

Since @Tyler mentioned it 🤣 I'll break down one of my fave pc.

Holiness "Holly" Sheathe- When I created her I only wanted to make some lame joke about "Holly Sheathe." Did not expect her to develop this much tbh. Holiness worked well as a running gag for her nickname "Holly Sheathe" and her codename back in the Blackspear cartel as the "Black Hoe." Holly living her whole life life as a farmer and her recent return to UM as a noble vassal under the Hildebrand only made my naming sense even worse. This only led to making lame puns like "Sheathey Farms" "Land of Sheathes" and "Holly land". Also, Holly claiming the Oathblade Sunscar only lead to "The Sword and its Sheathe" line. 

Poor Holly. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Thotification