Ataraxy

dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same

SERRAIDA "SERA" MAVAJO

"GODDAMMIT NIKKI!" Sera's temper flared. "Are you going to let such a puny god take over your life?"

It was weird for someone like Sera to care but back in Knoles, the scarred woman had been indebted to Nikki. That night, Sera would have massacred all those innocents are her instincts and training took over her actions. Prevention is better than cure. Those were the words that governed Sera that night, leading her to aim her sights at the poor civilians. She must tie up all loose ends. Even if she and her allies have eliminated most of the infected undead that night, she was willing to burn the village, along with its villagers to the ground if this will put an end to the zombie infestation. Nikki was the one who stopped her that night, and Sera was thankful for that. Perhaps it was the best course of action, taking things out of Sera's hand and even clearing her conscience. She has been grateful ever since. In fact, after that night, Sera owed Nikki big time.

Seeing a god tamper with Nikki only made Sera annoyed and frustrated. Perhaps it was also an opportunity for her to pay back her debt. "Fucking Laughingstock. The Mistress met Marigold and that god months ago during the disaster at Ceyena." Her eyes shifted towards the other lizard. "Arashi was there as well committing patricide. Well, that is if she can call Marigold a foster parent."

"BUT I REMEMBER KNOLES AND I HAVEN'T apid YOU BACK FOR THAT NIGHT. YOU SHOT MY FUCKING ARM, BITCH! I WOULD HAVE BITCH-SLAPPED YOU SENSELESS BY NOW BUT I CAN'T DO THAT WITH YOU LOOKING LIKE SOME RETARDED WINGED LIZARD!"

Guest TheMinecrafter

Arashi looked at Nikki in confusion when she said she's always been part dragon. Arashi wasn't too sure if that statement was true or not even though she felt human mostly or least maybe she was human originally? She had still had the instincts and thoughts of a human along with their compassion, so what's to say she wasn't originally. 

"Me, always been part dragon, somehow I feel like I've never been that way before. It feels off. Like me being dragon isn't natural." Arashi sighed and then watched the two converse until well Sera well...said she at some certain place. "I don't have family. Don't drag civilians into this, thinking their maybe my family, I don't have any of which that I remember."

Small world, ain't it? Sera, Arashi and Nikki all had certain common connections in their histories it seemed, through Knoles, Ceyena, Marigold, and whatever else. What they also had in common was a tendency to be remarkably foul-mouthed young ladies.

"You think I wanted that son of a bitch in my head? You think I wanted him to fuck with me body like this?" Nikki snapped at Sera, "That's why I was here, I was getting some... something, so Marigold could continue to try and stop him. I guess Laughtingstock got wise, because he did this to me and just... buggered off, I don't know where to."

"Fucking Laughingstock. The Mistress met Marigold and that god months ago during the disaster at Ceyena. Arashi was there as well committing patricide. Well, that is if she can call Marigold a foster parent. BUT I REMEMBER KNOLES AND I HAVEN'T paid YOU BACK FOR THAT NIGHT. YOU SHOT MY FUCKING ARM, BITCH! I WOULD HAVE BITCH-SLAPPED YOU SENSELESS BY NOW BUT I CAN'T DO THAT WITH YOU LOOKING LIKE SOME RETARDED WINGED LIZARD!"

"Well, then I guess it's nice to look like a retarded winged lizard right now." Nikki retorted, then turned toward Arashi, "Wait, you seriously don't remember anything? I thought you were just trying to be an ass or something."

Just then, one of the buildings nearby exploded. Were they to turn, they'd find a small army of cultists arriving upon the scene, a horde of raised dead on their heels. 

"Are the dragons with us?" one of the cultists wondered.

"They do not bear the mark!" another shouted, "Destroy them! And everything else that gets in your way!"

"Maybe we should talk about this somewhere else." Nikki suggested in an urgent tone.

Guest TheMinecrafter

Arashi went to pick up Nikki and beginning to fly off to a safe space. This wasn't the time to sit and chat it seems and Arashi wasn't gonna just let anybody else due today, at least. She placed Nikki on her back and began flying till well she reached a safe place, which wasn't affected. After about ten minutes or so, she placed Nikki down.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:14 PM, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

--- Nu Martyr, Inside the Palace of the PRIME, Study Hall

Tenkai could see the way his presence and that of the Custodes affected the Renovatian soldiers and, in a way, that was a bit concerning. Though he was prepared to do all he could to protect them, this was not some small matter of a single malcontent or a rampaging monster that needed slaying. This was war, and as mighty as the Order's combatants were individually, there was only so much they would be able to do if they could not count on the Renovatians to be able to stand on their own. These men were not civilians and village folk. They were soldiers, and Tenkai counted on their strength and courage just as much as they would count on his. One could only hope that their presence here would instead uplift the fighting spirits of those who fought for Nu Martyr rather than lull them into complacency.

But first things first.

The warrior monk and his retinue entered the PRIME's study early enough for them to catch a bit of their war room discussion on the way in. It was a fairly big study, after all, and the echoes of their robust discourse carried through the room. This was good, thought Tenkai. He didn't want to waste any time. As Ardon Dallas spoke to him, Tenkai stopped and gave him a short bow. It was not a gesture of allegiance, but of respect. It was the kind that Tenkai was culturally accustomed to giving, even though that was now worlds away from him.

"Thank you, Lord Dallas," he said. "I am Tenkai Matsumoto, knight of the Order of Force Majuere." With a nod, he turned to the four captains, allowing them to make their own introductions and signs of respect. They would undoubtedly be quick and to the point, just as Tenkai was. They didn't have much time to spare.

Almost immediately, Tenkai marched over to the war table and leaned over it as if he was one of the Nu Martyr generals. Having stepped closer, his features would be made fairly clear. His manner of dress was unlike that of his fellows, as the Order was rather eclectic in its expressions of individuality. His manner of dress was a peculiar mix of humble, traditional clothing similar to that which was worn in Weland combined with modern armor and technology. From what one could tell, he was dressed from the neck down in a jet black bodysuit worn under a dark grey kimono top and black pants that were tucked into a pair of gunmetal sune-ate, samurai knee guards and shin armor that protected him from knee to instep, the plates on his feet segmented in a design that resembled its traditional counterpart using modern methods that seemed more at home in Terrenus than elsewhere. Half of his kimono was worn off of his left side, while the half on his right side was mostly obscured by a gauntlet and interlocking armor plates connected to a black half-chestplate. Over all of this was a large black shoulder guard with the main plate carved in the visage of an angry deity. A large-beaded rosary necklace was slung across his left shoulder and chest like a bandolier, one of the few pieces of religious paraphernalia that indicated his monkhood. An eyepatch made from a round disc guard from a sword covered his presumably missing right eye, which somehow managed to make the gaze of his remaining eye twice as intense to compensate. And there, fastened upon his back by some high-tech mechanism connected to his metallic utility belt was a sword, a katana by the look of it, yet bound in modern fittings much like the rest of the small bits of advanced technology in his wargear.

"If I may," Tenkai said, as if to preempt any protestation from the elder strategists present. He reached over with his gauntlet-clad right hand and pointed at the mark on the map that indicated the city of Keto. "Based on your map here, the Cult's main force has made landfall here and they're heading down the peninsula directly towards the main city here, correct?"

In essence, Tenkai had mostly repeated what the strategists had discussed, except for the fact that Tenkai traced all the way to Nu Martyr rather than simply Nu Delo. After all, it was here in this city that Lilith's prize awaited. The monk waited for any sort of response from those present before he proceeded.

"And currently, based by these three markers here, Lilith's so-named 'Paragons' have all managed to hit these three completely separate cities almost simultaneously, and are thus lost to us. Correct?"

It was clear that the enemy was using some sort of magic to engage in a rapid deployment of their troops, striking in several directions at once. So far, besides the city of Keto that had been almost instantly decimated by the arrival of Lilith's main force, the three other cities to fall were Hungary, Taronta and Apolypse. It only took a glance at the way the pieces moved on the board for Tenkai to come to a general idea of what was to come. To that end, Tenkai would share his thoughts.

"At first, these additional strikes appear to be little more than a distraction, but that seems to be merely an added bonus of their unique method of sortie. If you would look here..."

Tenkai tapped the spot on the map labeled Apolypse and traced upward towards Nu Rosinder.

"From the south, there is nothing in the way between Apolypse and Nu Rosinder. But Nu Rosinder is far larger and more heavily defended than the other cities. They could attempt to lay siege from the south, but that would only serve as a petty distraction. What concerns me more is this city here."

Tenkai pointed to the city of Draven, which lay between the major cities of Nu Rosinder and Nu Martyr.

"This is your supply line between Nu Rosinder and Nu Martyr. If that supply line falls, neither city will be able to reinforce the other, and there will be no escape. And here..."

Tenkai pointed to the small island of Hungary, just off the eastern coast of Yascrow.

"It's clear that they intend to cut off escape from Nu Martyr by sea. Not that they seem to need to traverse by sea, but attacking your island cities disrupts your maritime forces and leaves you vulnerable. From here, they will likely head to Yascrow in order to completely cut off your sea route. It is also possible they intend to link up with their southern forces and converge upon Draven to cut Nu Martyr off. And finally..."

Tenkai pointed to Taronta in the north, tracing a line to the thin strip of land between it and Nu Delo.

"From here, their northern forces could link up with their main force, or flank your armies from the coast as they meet with the main force on the peninsula. They could decide to move along the northern region and take out the outlying cities, but there's little point in them doing that unless they somehow manage to garrison troops throughout the northern region without being spread too thin. And on top of all of this is the knowledge that Lilith could have many more of these 'Paragons' ready to jump out of nowhere at the drop of a hat and throw everything into disarray."

By now, the monk had surely spoken volumes to the strategists at the table, and much of it was of matters that they themselves were aware of. Tenkai could sense their impatience. The Order wasn't summoned here to point out the obvious. They needed action.

"If I may be so bold, I do have a plan."

Tenkai pointed at Nu Rosinder. "It is imperative that the forces at Apolypse do not head to Draven. Have your defenders at Nu Rosinder attempt to corral them into your defenses, while your forces at Shrreb move in from the south to take them at the rear. If they head straight for Nu Rosinder anyway, all the better. They'll be too busy throwing themselves at your defenses to notice they're being flanked."

He next pointed to Hungary. "It is likely that the enemy will head to Yascrow next. If your forces at Landonia can cut them off before then, you just might be able to reach them before they make landfall. At the very least, you'll be able to reinforce Yascrow from their rear if they manage to get there first."

Then he pointed back to Taronta. "Your forces in Ralrome and Algany should seek to engage their northern forces immediately. It is imperative that you prevent them from linking up with the main force. If they try to head across the northern region, they will inevitably run into these two cities. Hitting Algany in order to reach Nu Martyr from the river will leave them open to attack from Ralrome, and if they try to bypass both cities to reach the mainland, you can pincer them here." He pointed in between the two cities in question.

"As for the part we'll be playing," Tenkai continued, bringing his finger back to Nu Rosinder. "Though nothing has fallen yet, I take it by the pieces on your board that Primaria is also threatened. If that falls, Nu Rosinder is as good as gone. As heavily defended as it may be, I doubt even it would hold against a pincer attack from the north and the south. Half of our forces will head to Primaria to engage Lilith's Paragons. And as for Lilith's main force..."

With an emphatic thrust of his finger, Tenkai nearly slammed his armored fingertip into the spot that indicated Parrish. "I need you to advance your forces from Parrish to meet their main force at Nu Delo. It is inevitable that they will face the brunt of the Cult's armies, but at the moment they are still at Nu Delo. It is likely that Nu Delo will be lost by the time your forces reach them, but that may work to your benefit. Fighting them at Nu Delo gives them the advantage by occupying the city, and opens you to being flanked by their northern forces. But if you meet them here at the bend of the coast as they march towards Parrish, you'll create an opening. An opening that I plan to drive our frigate through."

With Tenkai's air frigate, the Susano'o, he would be able to approach Lilith's main force from the sea by taking a direct route, such so that even their forces at Hungary would not be able to reach them before the Renovatian military mobilized on their position. From there, he could drive straight into the dark heart of their army, and it was there that the Order of Force Majuere was most capable. 

"That's complete suicide!" exclaimed one of the strategists. "You mean to throw yourself at the Commander herself?"

"I mean to engage her in combat, yes. And I would like it if you could bring two deployment vessels full of your own troops to join me. Once I get into the opening, I'm going to blow that flank wide open, and we'll need enough troops on the ground to form a front. There's also the possibility that their troops at Hungary manage to catch on to our movements and attempt to give chase. We'll need some way of delaying them until your other forces can engage."

There was much furrowing of brows and gritting of teeth among the strategists gathered around the PRIME. Tenkai's plan was an incredibly brazen one, but this was a situation in which they had very little recourse. In the midst of a chaotic battlefield where the winds of war could change at any moment, hesitation was like letting your grip fail you while hanging on for dear life in the midst of a crashing tide. It was only by being decisive in their action that they would have any hope in an otherwise hopeless situation.

"There is one thing that I must ask of you, Lord Dallas."

The PRIME seemed perplexed. Tenkai already asked so much of him already. What more could he possibly want? "Speak."

"I want to know what this 'crown' is," said Tenkai. "Is it truly a powerful and dangerous relic, or merely an icon of legendary status? Why would Lilith go to such lengths in order to take it?"

Tenkai knew that if James had been here, he would have come up with some cheeky idea to destroy the crown or replace it with a fake, whatever way he could to frustrate the Commander and rob her of her prize even if she burned all of Nu Martyr to ash. He was a bit of an iconoclast, though Tenkai was not that much different. Surely there would be others who felt the same way. "All of this for a stupid crown?" they would say. The difference here was that Tenkai would not be so presumptuous as to assume that the crown was merely a fancy McGuffin. There had to be a reason why someone in charge of a group called the "Cult of Power" would want it. It was clear that Lilith and her subordinates were only interested in increasing their own strength by whatever means possible. If the crown really did have some incredibly dangerous power to it, Tenkai wanted to know. He wanted to know what sort of consequences there would be if Lilith ultimately succeeded. 

At Tenkai's initial arrival, Ardon found himself rather hesitant to allow the man into the inner circle of planning. They weren't people of Renovatio and certainly weren't of his own. In fact, the Order of Force Majeure most likely wouldn't have even bothered with small corner of Valucre like Nehalen had it not been at the behest of Veluriyam Empire. If the empire was so scared for their little port, they should have put up better defenses. 

Ardon smirked a little at the snide thought, never having found himself particularly fond of the Primera's agreement to sell off a bit of Renovatio to Terrans. Which brought him full circle back to Tenkai, the otherworlder hailing from Terrenus. 

But as the Knight spoke, Ardon found that his head was nodding in agreement. It was a smart plan. Smart, but bold. If he'd been but a decade younger, he'd have jumped at the chance to lead his army straight to Parrish and meet the Commander head on. Perhaps if he'd been a decade older, he'd have been to cautious for such a move. But he was neither, and thus he stroked the beard that had recently sprung from his usual clean shave. Despite the surprise of one of the strategist, Ardon nodded again. Thinking. Approving, though with a slight begrudgingness. "It's a good plan," he said. "Not without the possibility of error, but a smart plan nonetheless."

At the Knight's question, the room fell silent. Not because of how or the fact it was asked, but because many were curious about the answer. Everyone knew the crown was powerful, but only a few knew how or why or in what way. Ardon knew that because he was the one who'd spent the better part of his last three years tracking it down, so the only people in this room who knew the extent of it's powers were those he'd chosen to tell. 

"It's a bit both, really" Ardon answered finally, taking a moment of silence to find the right words. As the PRIME he couldn't just wave his hands like some random joungler with tales of power and glory. "It's quite the story, but succinctly put, it is said that the Crown of Asteria was a gift given to the goddess Asteria from the All-Father himself. Eventually man killed her, believing her power to be of the crown. Alas it was not, but their evil acts tainted the crown and the goddess, distorting what was once a power for good to something of absolute evil. Whether you believe the stories of gods and goddesses,, titans and the All- Father, I've seen the crown. Held it. I'd once longed to return the Crown of Asteria back to it's former divine glory." Ardon shook his head, parts of his sideburns having gone gray since the Commander had declared war. "But I no longer think that's possible. It is hard to explain, but it is blacker than black. An item so tainted with evil, I'd go so far to say it will bring nothing but ruin to Renovatio and Valucre as a whole if this witch gets her hands on it."

“So, how about we set a trap? We know her target, this means we can manipulate her to move as we wish.” His smile threatened to widen as he spread his hands open before him. “As Buddha holds the world in his palm, so too shall we hold her, no?” He said, flashing the warrior monk and look and clenching his metal clad hands into a fist. “The question is, how best to implement this with minimal risk of her taking the crown.” He added, looking at them all. “Personally I would destroy it and supplement it with a fake, so that win or lose the battle, we win the war.” He chuckled. “Though I suppose that’s not an option, hm?” [Connor]

"Unfortunately not," he said, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "The myths say it is indestructible. And, try as I might, I have not been able to prove this part of the myth wrong. You are free to try, if you wish. Grubbar will show you to the crown if you'd like to try your hand at destroying it, but it is not to leave this castle. If my suspicions are correct, the Commander has a way to locate the crown wherever it is. Dark powers tend to find each other, one way or another."

Nu Delo

Lilith Reiter

Lilith took a deep breath, absorbing everything and anything all at once. And it was good. Even perfect, perhaps, had she been one to believe in perfection. There was blood in the air. Death. Power. Anger. Rage. Desperation. Fear. Loss. Love. Hate. Passion. Envy. Greed. Pain. Sadness. To a necromancer as powerful as she, the emotions had a smell to them. And as they intermixed, the glow in her eyes became more prominent. The beating of the red gem in the pommel of her swords thrummed faster. The orange soul stone clipped into Zengi's Gauntlet almost screaming in pleasure, were it not inanimate. It could sense the lost souls filling Nu Martyr increasing by the second, and with that, so did it's power. Though not as in control over the dominion as souls as in Genesaris, even in Renovatio it held authority over life in a way that was unparalleled. 

The aggregated souls in Nu Delo, however, was disappointing. Less than she'd expected. As their life energy was absorbed by her artifacts and their corpses rose in accompaniment, it felt... empty. Almost as if... 

"They must have evacuated part of the city," Lilith muttered aloud, making sure it was her own thought and not one of the many Lunar Daughters in her head. Not that it bothered her, other than the slight feeling of disappointment which flooded through her from her hungry artifacts. In any case, there wasn't much left for her to do in Nu Delo now that she'd drawn the spell's runic base and summoned an army of corpses throughout the province. Even if those of Nu Martyr wanted to stop the infinite circle of arising corpses, they'd have to shut down the rune itself, such was the spell. But to reach Nu Delo, well,  she'd like to meet the person with balls enough to do so. 

With a sound that may have been the start of a laugh or a snort, black fog collapsed around her and shot into the air. Not a trace of her presence was left there, except for the runic structure and the Supreme Witch who continued to look at it with something akin to love swimming in the black of her iris'. 

Parrish was next on Lilith's list. But not to attack, at least not yet. She would move ahead of her Paragons. The city was strong enough to fend off against the undead, but the city also had one of the Asteria's gems. There she'd start her final descent toward Nu Martyr City. 

I never thought I would see the day a grown-ass dragon would run away from a mob of puny humans. But eh, it's Arashi, she was always beyond comprehension.

With nothing left to do, Sera took flight as well. Transforming into wisps of smoke mixed with crackling lightning, Sera trailed after the distressing dragon and the wyvern it carried.

Well, ain't this fucking shit? 

As soon as they landed Sera wondered where the fuck are they? It seems that whatever plagued the wyvern might be cured by someone within the capital but at this rate, the wyvern herself is getting farther and farther from her only cure.

"It's quite the story, but succinctly put, it is said that the Crown of Asteria was a gift given to the goddess Asteria from the All-Father himself. Eventually man killed her, believing her power to be of the crown. Alas it was not, but their evil acts tainted the crown and the goddess, distorting what was once a power for good to something of absolute evil. Whether you believe the stories of gods and goddesses,, titans and the All- Father, I've seen the crown. Held it. I'd once longed to return the Crown of Asteria back to it's former divine glory." Ardon shook his head, parts of his sideburns having gone gray since the Commander had declared war. "But I no longer think that's possible. It is hard to explain, but it is blacker than black. An item so tainted with evil, I'd go so far to say it will bring nothing but ruin to Renovatio and Valucre as a whole if this witch gets her hands on it."

"I thought as much," said Tenkai. 

An artifact of absolute evil drawing the ambitions of powerful individuals. Always thus, thought the monk. There was little else Tenkai needed to know other than that. Whatever it was truly capable of, all he needed to know was that it posed a threat to the world to have his purpose set. This was self-evident, of course, as it was highly unlikely Lilith would go through all this trouble just for a fine piece of jewelry and metalwork to complete her look. She knew the artifact had power that she needed, and it was likely she knew how to use it as well. To what end was another matter entirely, but it could ultimately be nothing good for anyone. Would that they could have the crown destroyed, they could have eliminated Lilith's entire reason for this atrocious assault. But Tenkai could not have been the first to think that, and it was even more likely that the crown was either too powerful to be destroyed, or came with a price too high to be paid. 

“I agree with a proactive plan.” He said as he entered the room, causing a mild disruption. “We can’t fight a war of attrition against this specific kind of filth. Doing so would only be to their advantage and add more to their armies over time.” He said, taking a spot beside the Order’s Knight. Though this was a risky plan in itself, it was better than the alternative. “Though I doubt Lilith will remain amongst her main forces once you mobilize. She’ll come for him directly at that point. Though destroying her Paragons would well be worth it.” He said, his calm smile a contrast to the violent promise in his words. He nodded his head in greeting, offering only the minimal amount of courtesy to those below his station.

Before any more could be said of the matter, Connor Melisende made his grand entrance into the room. Tenkai impassively turned his attention to the Crown Prince---no---Emperor of Kadia, who wasted no time at all weighing in on the situation. His presence was not a surprise to the monk, who had been informed of Kadia's involvement back when he was first contacted by the Veluriyam Empire. It was likely that the Renovatians knew as well. Connor would not have shown up out of nowhere without an army of Kadians in tow, and it seemed like something that the PRIME would have been aware of. Having aided the Kadians during the events of the Harrowing, the monk-swordsman was already acquainted with then-prince Melisende. 

Through this acquaintance, one thing was certain to Tenkai. Connor was here on behalf of his empire’s interests and nothing more, and the only lives that truly mattered to him were Kadian lives. He had every right and reason to be, but it would become problematic as soon as the young emperor determined that Renovatio was no longer worth fighting for. Truly, Tenkai could not completely blame Connor for this. The prince-turned-emperor was nearly half his age and yet he had already been put through enough horror and suffering to last several lifetimes. To have that along with the responsibility of an entire empire set upon your shoulders was an experience no young man should have had to be put through. But he wasn't in Kadia now, and as both emperor and representative of his nation in this conflict, his actions affected more than just the lives of his men and himself. Surely he realized that.

“So, how about we set a trap? We know her target, this means we can manipulate her to move as we wish.” His smile threatened to widen as he spread his hands open before him. “As Buddha holds the world in his palm, so too shall we hold her, no?” He said, flashing the warrior monk and look and clenching his metal clad hands into a fist. “The question is, how best to implement this with minimal risk of her taking the crown.” He added, looking at them all. “Personally I would destroy it and supplement it with a fake, so that win or lose the battle, we win the war.” He chuckled. “Though I suppose that’s not an option, hm?”

Connor could not have misused the Buddha more if he had used his statue for a footrest. This was not very unexpected, however, given his origins. If Connor was anything like his father, foreign religions were viewed as curious whimsy at best and dangerous ideology at worst. He was probably speaking as such as a matter of forming rapport with Tenkai, which was admirable but not entirely necessary. Perhaps worse was the fact that he used it almost as if to give blessing to his otherwise recklessly overconfident "trap" strategy. Had this been a different situation, Tenkai would have found the emperor insufferable. But in this conflict, their aims were aligned in an oblong sort of way. He was their ally, and Tenkai would respect that.

Ardon confirmed at least one of Tenkai's hypotheses, albeit through myth rather than a well-grounded fact. But when it came to items of mythic proportions, myths often proved to be reliable sources of information. Of course, there was more than just the apparent indestructibility of the crown that should give them pause.

"With all due respect, Emperor Melisende," said Tenkai, "I am not fully convinced a 'trap' would be a wise course of action. If she can sense the crown's power as Lord Dallas describes, there is no way she would fall for a fake even if it was possible to create one. And trying to lure her anywhere with the real crown would be the exact opposite of 'minimal risk'. Destroying the crown would probably be a bad idea even if it were possible, as well. There's also the matter of our enemy enjoying extensive freedom of movement. If she wanted to come directly for the crown, she would probably be upon us herself in an instant. And yet she remains with her main force. She would be quite difficult to trap if she's being this pragmatic."

But going over all of this again was just wasting time, and if trapping her was not the wisest of moves, then Kadia still needed a way to fit into the overall plan. Tenkai would not be so bold as to presume he could order anyone with the title of "emperor" around, however, so this was all a matter of negotiation.

"Nevertheless, you are right to presume that sitting here waiting for her to flood the gates of Nu Martyr is the worst course of action. That's why I intend to cut off her advance. If she does somehow manage to slink away and break off from her main force, then she will end up in the same position she would have been had we waited for her to step upon our doorstep. Minus a few hundred thousand warriors."

Tenkai returned to the map, tracing his finger from Nu Martyr to Parrish and straight onward towards Nu Delo, where Lilith's armies would be departing. "If those of you present are with me, I would reiterate: we should have the Renovatian forces at Parrish advance upon their main force. They will not be able to hold on their own, however, which is why I would ask that you send your forces to act as the vanguard, Emperor Melisende. That should hold the front long enough for the Order and Veluriyam forces to get into position and cut through their formation."

The warrior monk pointed north of that position. "Then there's the matter of the Cult's forces at Taronta. Should you choose to to do so, Emperor Melisende, you may wish to send some of your forces to rally the soldiers at Ralrome and Algany in order to flank the enemy at Taronta. They would be hard pressed to attempt a flanking of the vanguard at the pass if they themselves are being flanked. Aside from that, if Lilith were to escape me and break from her main force, she will likely be alone for the most part. If you so wish to face her as well, then I will leave that part of the plan in your hands. That's probably about the closest you can get to 'trapping' her. Perhaps not the same trap as you hoped, but it certainly would play our strengths to her weaknesses."

Provided that she had weaknesses, that is. This, of course, was not to say Tenkai as doubting himself or the forces currently under his command. Especially not if he could face Lilith in single combat. After all, his sword had been the bane of many an immortal, and the necromancer would be no different. That would have to count for something, for if not, things were bound to get a lot worse than even he could predict. 

"Now, as for the other---"

The Greatsword strode forth to catch Tenkai's attention, even as the PRIME Lord Dallas and the other notables within the room would likely similarly be informed of the development as well.

"Reports of undead sir. They are rising in the city" he paused, tilting his head as the communique continued, "Scattered reports coming in from elsewhere as well. It seems to be happening all around the nation. Your will?"

Tenkai's eye widened barely before narrowing in disgust. Of course she would do something like that, he thought. How could she not? She was a necromancer, after all, and raising the dead was their modus operandi. Even as Tenkai looked around, his other "eye" could see the spirit world roiled into a stir as the balance between life and death was violated all around him. He knew that the undead would be a factor in this conflict, but in such a number and so many places at once? Either her Paragons were accomplished necromancers in their own right, or Lilith's power was far beyond what Tenkai had expected. 

"Damn them. We have no time to waste." Tenkai turned back to the company of generals, the PRIME and the Emperor. "I must take my leave of you now. I've spoken my piece."

Tenkai turned away from them and departed with the Greatsword, with the four Custodes captains following suit. Tenkai had left the pieces on the strategy board in correspondence with his proposed strategy. It was now up to his allies to decide whether to follow his lead or not. After all, Tenkai held no true authority over them, so all that was left was to see if they'd place their faith in him. Regardless of what they decided to do, he fully intended to face Lilith before her main forces managed to reach Parrish.

------------------------------

Though Tenkai made his way out of the study and back towards the airship hangar, the plan of action was still not yet settled. There was still the matter of sortieing the OFM and Veluriyam forces. Tenkai would have to hit the ground running on that one. There was no time to convene with everyone in the same manner as he had with Ardon Dallas and Connor Melisende. He'd have to do it on his way there, and first he would have to contact--

On the way back to the airship, the monk would be accosted by a Guardian running at speed. Taking a moment to catch his breathe, he held his hand up to forestall the Knight and passed him a communicator. "You have a priority call, Sir Matsumoto. It is Lord Eredas on the line" the Custode explained, indicating the device which was patched into the Susano'o's communication systems. 

Speak of Cao Cao, and Cao Cao appears. 

"Understood," said Tenkai, taking the communicator from the Guardian with barely a halt in his step. He activated the magitek device as the display coalesced into existence, showing the face of Master Knight James Eredas.

"Tenkai, this is James. What is the situation at Nu Martyr? I received a report before I had left, but the details were sparse. I might expect you can provide me with more insight into matter?" 

"In all honesty, the situation's gone from bad to worse," said Tenkai. "The Cult is assaulting several cities across the province simultaneously, and the outlying cities are almost all but wiped out. Keto has been razed along with Hungary, Taronta and Apolypse. Nu Delo is likely next to fall, if it hasn't already. What's more is that she's managed to raise the dead all across the province all at once, likely as a means of sowing chaos and distracting our forces. I plan to intercept her main force before she reaches Parrish. She cannot be allowed to march onto Nu Martyr unimpeded. Failing that, Emperor Melisende wishes to set a trap for her, and I have requested that he send forces to the vanguard to impede her main force towards that end."

"I like your plan, and those ideas proposed by Kadian EmperorHowever, I believe more emphasis should be placed on Hungary. It is destroyed yes, but it has also become a staging grounds for the enemy. Send the Invictus Nova, wipe the enemy off it, destroy their entire southern front, and you can reinforce at will, or harry both the Cult's approach from the west, and their approach from Apolypse." 

James was right. Even with several cities being razed, that didn't mean the enemy would simply move on like it was nothing. Using them as staging grounds for a longer siege would be ideal against the more well-defended cities. With Hungary being so isolated by water, the Invictus Nova had the best means of assaulting it. The forces at Hungary were likely in the midst of attacking Landonia, as it were. An assault on their fortifications by the Invictus Nova while their main force was on the other island could be nigh unstoppable. 

"A sound plan. I will relay that to the Invictus Nova as soon as I'm aboard the Susano-o. I'll have them coordinate with our other forces. The Invictus' presence should distract their southern forces from catching wind of our assault. I would not want to find myself flanked with my back to the shore. Not against Lilith."

"This Lilith sounds to be a most formidable opponent. Do not underestimate her. Remember, you are the Knight over there. Whatever you do, you must be decisive. I fully empower you to make all and any decisions you deem necessary in the course of action.  May your enemies keep you sharp Tenkai."

With that, the communication closed, and Tenkai handed the device back to the Guardian. There were still more calls to make on his way back to the hangar, but Tenkai would use his own communicator this time. He deactivated the lock on the side of his gauntlet to reveal a sliding panel that hid yet another magitek interface. With a quick input from his left hand, three more screens appeared in front of him. One of them was Lady Holly Sheathe of the Veluriyam Empire, who had been fashionably late to the meeting of the generals. By the time she made her way to the gate, Tenkai would be already on his way to the hangar through the other way. This would not impede them from making contact, however. While she was still busy with the guards, one of the Order's Guardians stationed at the palace would be running up to her, having received the call from Tenkai to put her on comms.

"Lady Sheathe," said Tenkai, "I apologize that we couldn't meet face to face, but we're running very short on time. I'll make this brief. I have just spoken to PRIME Ardon Dallas about our counter-attack. I am currently taking the Susano-o to meet the enemy. I would request that you send two of your airships and the knight companies assigned to them to join us and protect our flank. They will be the haft of the spear. As for your remaining forces, I would ask that you send them southward past Draven to assess the enemy's movements. If the enemy has arrived at Yascrow, they need to be driven out. They musn't be allowed to link up with their forces at Apolypse. If they do, they could overwhelm Nu Rosinder or head further north past the city towards Draven. If Draven falls, Nu Martyr will lose its main supply line and we won't be able to reinforce. Can I count on you for this?"

It was the Veluriyam Empire that originally sought out the Order of Force Majeure for aid in this battle. Tenkai could only hope that this meant Veluriyam put enough trust in the Order to follow along with Tenkai's plan. He knew his assault was a dangerous one, and he would not let anyone needlessly throw away their lives in vain. That was why he wanted to give Veluriyam ample room for retreat should they be overwhelmed. Against such a foe, they needed to play their strengths where they were strongest.

A second feed popped up, this time patching in directly to the Order-issued communicator of one Perestroika Orrikov, who was either still aboard the Invictus Nova or somewhere within Nu Martyr after disembarking. Formerly a member of the Legion of Doom that the Order had so notably faced at Last Chance, Perry had undergone a change of affiliations as one of the Order's newest members. Tenkai had made it his responsibility to see that the necromancer make up for her past transgressions by using her abilities for the good of the world, and today was as good of a chance as any for her to reclaim her honor.

"Perestroika," Tenkai said with the sternness necessary to convey the severity of the situation. He was already mere steps away from the landing area, "You've probably noticed this already, but the situation has gotten worse. The Cult has managed to raise countless undead all across the province. This is likely a distraction by the enemy, meant to throw us into disarray. I haven't seen necromancy on this scale before, and I'd wager you haven't either. I don't expect you to wave your hands and make the undead simply disappear. However, if there is a way you can at least do something about the bulk of the undead horde springing up out of their graves around the central city, then do so immediately to the fullest extent of your ability. If Lilith's main force reaches the city while we're still knee-deep in zombies, she'll have quite a large meat shield to use against us." Tenkai narrowed his eye as he peered straight at the young necromancer. "This is your hour of redemption. Show me that I was not wrong to put my faith in you."

The third feed came directly from inside the Susano-o, Tenkai's personal frigate, where the monk now established comms with the ship's chief engineering officer, Dr. Kazuo Ishiyama. He was one of the head engineers of RAKAN Industries, a technological R&D firm that was also just as foreign to Valucre as Tenkai and James originally were. RAKAN Industries was responsible for most, if not all, of Tenkai's current advancements in wargear, from his armor and bodysuit to the fittings and convertible sheath/hilt system he now used with his sword. Dr. Ishiyama and his team were the ones responsible for making alterations to the Belisarius-Sinistrum class frigate that ultimately became the Susano-o. In a way, Ishiyama was "on loan" from RAKAN, though it seemed unlikely that he would want to go back. He was a bit of an odd duck, an "otaku" as he would put it, and his work for the Order in a place like Valucre almost felt like he was living out some sort of fantasy world dream job. Much to Tenkai's chagrin, as one would expect.

"Ishiyama," he said, "Do you read me?"

"A-ah! Yes! I'm reading you loud and clear, Matsumoto-san! Ahh...no...Matsumoto-dono? Sir Matsumoto? I don't really know, we never got the chance to discuss--"

"Ishiyama, please. Focus. I'm en-route to the ship. Status update."

Through the mild static of the magitek feed, one could see that Dr. Ishiyama had already decorated his quarters with some colorful paraphernalia, with stacks of small manga books and magazines next to mountainous binders of schematics and engineering statistics. As much as could be said about his habits, he was rather dedicated to his work.

"Yes, yes, of course. All systems are green. I was just in the engine room a few minutes ago, and the reactor cells at operating at peak efficiency. I'm currently poring through a diagnostic of our weapon systems, and so far everything's in top shape and ready for action!"

"And the Totsuka?"

"Huh? What about it?"

"Status report on the Totsuka, Dr. Ishiyama," Tenkai said impatiently.

"Oh! Well, I mean, there's not really much I can say that you don't know already. It's only been tested in a very limited fashion, and by those parameters everything should be primed and ready. But...you don't mean to use it here, do you?"

"We may have to. It's that bad. I just want to be sure it won't explode if we do."

"Oh no, nothing like that, of course! I can tell you that much. But even with all of our testing, we still haven't seen it at full strength, and I don't have to remind you that--"

"We only have one shot. Yes, I remember. And the risk involved is exactly why you set up that life-signal detection array, at my request, if you remember."

"Absolutely, Matsumoto-taicho!"

"...That's not necessary. At any rate, I bear full responsibility for this ship and whatever may come of it. Do not feel burdened by the guilt of your creation, as I was the one who ultimately consented. Just make sure it's as controlled as possible."

"You got it! Just leave it to me and my team, we won't let you down!"

"I know you won't. Tenkai out."

With all of the comm-links turned off, Tenkai turned his attention to the Greatsword captain, Eshara Dominic. 

"Captain Dominic," said Tenkai, "Rather than accompanying the Invictus Nova, I would have you and your Greatswords make way to Primaria. It's a small port, but vulnerable, and if the enemy takes it by the inland sea, Nu Rosinder will be lost. Take half of our Guardian squads and the Seekers with you. Should the enemy be thwarted, you are to reinforce Nu Rosinder against the enemy's southern forces."

Tenkai nodded towards the Seeker captain, who would know to lend her bow to this endeavor. He then turned his attention to the Guardian and Vanquisher captains. 

"As for the rest of the Guardians and the Vanquisher squads, you're both with me. Once we make the initial thrust, we'll make landfall, and take the fight to the Cult alongside Veluriyam, Kadia and Renovatio."

The two captains nodded in assent, having been ready for this since before the battle lines were even drawn. 

Now having boarded the massive frigate, large in its own right yet not at all the size of the imposing Invictus Nova, both the Susano-o and the larger cruiser next to it made their final preparations for takeoff. The dedicated crews of each vessel hurried to their stations as orders were issued, passing down the chain of command in less than a minute as they functioned like the blood cells of the ship, coursing through it as they both roared to life. The Custodes assembled their wargear as they too prepared for takeoff, eagerly awaiting the moment where they would be assembled at the main assault bay once they had reached their destination. With Tenkai standing at the bridge alongside the other dedicated officers brought from both the ranks of the Custodes and other OFM recruitment efforts, it was time to put their counter-attack into full effect. 

"Engines, engage."

"Engaging."

The frigate's engine came to life as the propulsion jets started to glow a pale blue. The ship detached from its moorings as the lift thrusters raised it slowly up above the hangar, the ship's pilot and navigating team following the coordinates as they interpreted from Tenkai's relayed direction. 

"Main thrusters, engage."

"Engaging thrusters."

A burst of azure plasma erupted from the propulsion jets, pressing the massive ship forward slowly as its acceleration picked up exponentially.

"Course is set for your requested coordinates, Sir Tenkai."

"Good," said Tenkai. "All ahead full. It's time to drive the blade into the enemy's heart."

"Acknowledged."

With that, the thrusters faded briefly before firing up to full power in an instant, generating a small shockwave as the frigate shot forth like a spearhead flung forward by a stalwart thrust. 

Onward, then, to the shores of Parrish and Nu Delo, where the Commander and her Paragons await. 

@Ataraxy

@Alexei

@Fierach

@Thotification

@Djinn&Juice

Edited by Tenkai Matsumoto
muzak

Nikki found herself being carried away by Arashi, a sudden and unexpected turn. Everything seemed so confusing right now, enough that she wasn't really able to struggle or resist until the larger dragon finally released her and touched down. 

"Hey, I could've moved myself." she protested.

Though she realized she hadn't consciously tried to fly at any point yet.

"I think... maybe... I don't know."

She sighed in exasperation.

"I should try to find my bike, maybe I still work the navigational system to help me back to the Imperium..."

"Captain Dominic," said Tenkai, "Rather than accompanying the Invictus Nova, I would have you and your Greatswords make way to Primaria. It's a small port, but vulnerable, and if the enemy takes it by the inland sea, Nu Rosinder will be lost. Take half of our Guardian squads and the Seekers with you. Should the enemy be thwarted, you are to reinforce Nu Rosinder against the enemy's southern forces."

His orders had been received. Eshara Dominic nodded and turned, already disseminating Knight Matsumoto's commands down the line. He had his misgivings of course, Eshara rather thought that they were being spread a bit thin. but he recognized the need for their skills on every front. To that end, he commanded his half of the Guardians to remain on the Invictus Nova, to act as their deterrence against boarders. Air superiority was good, but wars were won with boots on the ground. The rising of the dead was a problem, but they left that to the immediate militia and the PRIME's forces. They could not afford to be bogged down at the very onset.

The Greatswords would seek other transport to get to Primaria. It was of no consequence, with either the local nations, or Kadia forces lending their aid. And thus the Order of Force Majeure went off to war.

On their way to Hungary however, the Invicutus Nova received word of action at the nearby island of Landonia. It was clear to the Custodes aboard that the enemy had moved on from Hungary. If they diverted, they could strike the enemy assault in the flank, and bring aid to the beleagered Landonians. 

The Order of Force Majeure valued more then just violence and strength of arms. They valued wisdom, and strength of character. The Captain of the cruiser Invicutus Nova, in conjunction with the ranking Guardian on board, made the executive decision to change course and aid the islanders to the south, sending a reply back to the rest of the Order of Force Majeure forces as they did so. Hopefully they were not too late. 

Edited by Fierach

It was only a minute or so before Nathan abandoned his efforts. Fighting for a grudge would accomplish nothing, he realized as he collected himself. His anger faded away as he looked upon the Landonian footmen battling around him. 

“There’s no time for games anymore.” He muttered. To his opponent, he gave a silent, murderous look before he leaped away. He landed a fair distance away, atop a piece of collapsed masonry overlooking much of the battlefield. 

“Landonians!” He shouted. “Prepare to fire every missile and war machine, on my signal, unleash everything!”

As before, the troops obeyed; loading every ballista and trebuchet all along the walls. In preparation, the archers drew their bows and waited. 

With that, Nathan raised his sword once more, beckoning the entirety of the storm’s lightning into it. As before, a bolt of electricity descended into the blade and empowered it with blinding illumination. Energy crackled and popped around the edge before he released it in a slash: A beam of energy, no less powerful than the previous one, but far more concentrated in its intensity. 

Dozens more creatures were electrocuted by the blast. Their bodies disintegrated the moment they were hit; only the blast didn’t stop there. It trailed off in every direction, each arc gaining strength and size as it passed between targets. 

By the time it dissipated, fifty or more had fallen. They were quickly followed into oblivion as Nathan raised his arm and the defenders opened fire with every projectile they had. Ballista, a rain of  arrows, catapult fire, even some of the people hurled rocks and pieces of furniture at the enemy. Whatever could be used as a weapon was pressed into repelling the hordes.

—————————————————

As per their orders, Max and Gale were on the opposite side of the city, assisting the defenders in their own way: While their allies were evacuating the citizens, both were directing their full power into the enemy. Max let loose holy fire whilst bellowing prayers of righteous wrath. Beside him, Gale let loose torrents of icy water that froze any foe it touched. 

“Blessed be the Gods that teach my hands to war and my fingers to fight.” Max quoted as his swords rent the head off an attacking ghoul. The body burned away from the heat they gave off. “My fortress and my deliverance.” A second strike, and a blast of fire incinerated a distant necromancer. “My shield, in whom I trust. Who are they, mere mortals who are like a  breath of air. Like a fleeting shadow. Part the Heavens and scatter the enemy with your arrows. Reach down from the Heavens and rescue me from the power of my enemy, who’s mouth is full of lies and whose hands are full of deceit.”

With each word, the heat and glow surrounding him intensified. Soon, any foe caught in it burst into flames and burned to ashes.

Perestroika had always wondered where her powers had derived from. She had awoken in a forest of darkness, amidst twisted trees and withering weeds. She remembered feeling...hot. A slick film of sweat covering her form. A dull burning lacing the odd depictions tattooed upon her flesh. A pull that stirred within. She sat up with a start. Her vision bleary and blurred as she scoped her vicinity. She couldn't even remember how she got there, where she was, or even really who she was. It was as though she had woke up for the first time. She had thought for the longest time that she had been brought into existence by a mere whimsy she couldn't fathom. Her powers only segregating her further from any potential normalcy as any civilization she drew toward possessed any number of clerics or priests could practically smell her 'necrotic' soul and caused her no end of strife. She didn't even know what a Necromancer was until she saw firsthand the abhorrent powers she now wielded. The forests would become her home, and where she learned about the circle of life...she had seen animals rip and tear at each-other, protect one another, and even show understanding with territorial respect. Her eyes witnessing hunters, and barbarians alike marching through the forests with reckless abandon, and leaving destruction and dismay in their ignorant wake with further attempts to contact outsiders ending in attacks and long nights of hiding. Adventurers and bounty hunters coming to find this 'witch of the woods'. She didn't have a choice but to create life from death; It was then she had decided to make monsters of her own, using the fallen animals of the woods to protect her...It all had gone wrong the moment she had reawakened, the moment she had found dredge, the moment she had nearly died fighting a war she had no heart in.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:18 AM, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

"Perestroika," Tenkai said with the sternness necessary to convey the severity of the situation. He was already mere steps away from the landing area, "You've probably noticed this already, but the situation has gotten worse. The Cult has managed to raise countless undead all across the province. This is likely a distraction by the enemy, meant to throw us into disarray. I haven't seen necromancy on this scale before, and I'd wager you haven't either. I don't expect you to wave your hands and make the undead simply disappear. However, if there is a way you can at least do something about the bulk of the undead horde springing up out of their graves around the central city, then do so immediately to the fullest extent of your ability. If Lilith's main force reaches the city while we're still knee-deep in zombies, she'll have quite a large meat shield to use against us." Tenkai narrowed his eye as he peered straight at the young necromancer. "This is your hour of redemption. Show me that I was not wrong to put my faith in you."

The Invictus Nova was not the sort of transportation she ever through she would be riding upon, but here she was fighting air sickness and dismayed gazes alike. Her affiliation with Tenkai and The Order saw her safe passage, but that did not stop the judgement of even the most resolute soldiers. How could they not? The necromantic forces that were damning their cities and scouring their lands was the same force sitting only ten feet away from them, fiddling with a communicator in frustrated confusion. Technology was most certainly not her strong suit, but she had much to prove and regardless of the contempt of the allies surrounding her. She wouldn't back down from the only chance she had; yelling in surprise as the communicator created an image of her newfound mentor. His words piercing the distance and making her immediately stand attention. It was true that she hadn't seen such a display of power; her eyes flicking outward toward the practical sea of undead flesh that threatened to consume everything. It disturbed her at a level unfortunately none here could understand.

Was this the power of the necromancer? to sway a sea of the undead as though they were an sea that none would survive, dragging all those who would fight into the deep and amalgamating them into an undying war engine? Is this the power she was capable of? It was as though she were looking upon a master of the very powers that drove her from all civility. It terrified, and called to her all at the same time.

"Understood Boss, I von't let you down. If I am in ze air like zis I believe I can do...somsink at least. I uh...haven't tried anysink like zis" She said, running fingers through her dreadlocks as she fought against her own fears and doubts, tenkai's words giving her a much needed edge "All I have ever vanted...vas someone to have faith in me" She said with determination. The communication ending and her mission being made clear. Perestroika immediately giving the other soldiers a wave as she leaped out of the cruiser into the open air over Nu Martyr. A shape bursting from the clouds high above and swooping under her cascading form. It was a gracious gift Tenkai had allowed, one of her precious dracolich' from Last Chance now being used to assist in this harrowing war. She guided her pet just over the walls of Nu Martyr and stood atop the drake's head, sticking each foot within a safe recess of bone; looking upon the forces of undead that plagued their defense.

She didn't know if she was ready for this...but she had to give it a shot anyways

She removed her vest and tossed it to the wind, Her tank-top allowing her tattooed arms the freedom they need as their glow soon streaked across her skin. She had a clear view of what seemed like an endless ocean of them. She had to swallow her panic and continue with what she knew. She didn't have any powerful incantations or ancient words to speak. It felt as though it were just an added muscle she had to stretch and pull. Vibrant green miasma soon poured forth from her tattoos and coalesced around her as she poured all she had into manifesting the dark gift. 
da3m3cu-73c17ac9-5f3b-4df2-baef-a4242581

She had to limit herself at first, and only push her limits if she needed to. If it were a muscle, then it too...threatened to break if it was pushed too hard. The wisps of necrotic magic spearheading into the masses below. These tendrils of molted green assaulting the undead hordes below, attempting to wrest a kilometer of undead from their throes of servitude. Their forms becoming immobilized and unstable as lilith' own domination over the undead fought against Perestroika's own instrusive forces. Her body now rigid atop the dragon as she focused on maintaining control, let alone widening it's perimeter.  

"Lady Sheathe, I apologize that we couldn't meet face to face, but we're running very short on time. I'll make this brief. I have just spoken to PRIME Ardon Dallas about our counter-attack. I am currently taking the Susano-o to meet the enemy. I would request that you send two of your airships and the knight companies assigned to them to join us and protect our flank. They will be the haft of the spear. As for your remaining forces, I would ask that you send them southward past Draven to assess the enemy's movements. If the enemy has arrived at Yascrow, they need to be driven out. They musn't be allowed to link up with their forces at Apolypse. If they do, they could overwhelm Nu Rosinder or head further north past the city towards Draven. If Draven falls, Nu Martyr will lose its main supply line and we won't be able to reinforce. Can I count on you for this?"

Holiness 'Holly" Sheathe gazed outside the window of their speeding airship. Outside, she can see the sole accompanying transport that the Knight had requested her to make use of. She did follow his requests to a tee as she was just a lady with no knowledge of any military strategy or have done any military service that she can remember. In truth she was barely a noble, she was simply a farmer, a tender of the fields. Her current situation was merely one born from circumstance and dumb luck. Even now she's starting to have second thoughts regarding the implications of her actions. Unfortunately, she may not have the luxury of mulling over such trivialities. It seems that there are more pressing concerns. More life-threatening concern to be exact.

d52b7af533b0662242963bf9e0b0af8b.jpgThe soldiers around her seemed to exclaim as they all saw the lone figure of a hooded person descending from the skies above on a collision course with the front of their airship. These soldiers of the Veluriyam empire might have no knowledge of this ludicrous character but the Lady Sheathe was more or less familiar with this individual. Perhaps intimate would be a more apt term for the relationship between the Lady and the lunatic.

"Shit!" the Lady Sheathe cursed as she ran towards the nearest hatch. She feared for these poor soldiers safety as she is the only person who knows how ridiculous their assailant is. Their foe was closer now and anyone could see it was clearly female, perhaps barely a woman. Despite her looks, the Lady Sheathe and everyone inside the ship could feel the oppressive aura emanating from the girl.

"My Lady! Be careful!" one of the soldiers cried as the Lady Sheathe manage to exit the airship. Her steps were thoughtless, her movements filled with rashness and haste. After all, no one expected one of Lilith's paragons would suddenly charge all on her own. There was no time to think, only to react. Ignoring the worried expression of the empire's soldiers, Lady Sheathe vaulted towards the front of the airship, the oathblade Sunscar already in her hands. She barely raised her blade to defend herself and the citizen's of the empire for a brief moment, then the paragon crashed into her.

The collision rocked the whole airship, even numbing the Lady's slender arms. Thankfully, Sunscar was kind enough to assist her as she was able to block the enemy's assault with her limbs still intact. However, the situation is still dire as the Lady Sheathe was locking blades with one of the cult's elite. 

"Pretty Paragon!" Lady Sheathe spat in the face of her foe.

In response, the Pretty Paragon gave an adorably innocent smile. "Hello, traitor. We did not expect you to betray us, Paragon of Holiness."

After offering an awkward thank you and farewell to Arashi and Sera, Nikki tried to walk away down the street, only to find she could not work very well with the way her body was now aligned. She had to crawl on all fours, and even then it wasn't very efficient movement, as her forelimbs were now meant for flying. Realizing she wasn't going to get far like this, she pushed herself upright and took a deep breath.

"Okay... I can do this..."

She hadn't done it before, at least not while in her right mind, but her body was built to do it, so she had to be able to. She had to be able to fly.

Flapping her wings slowly at first, she gradually worked her way up into the air, taking a little bit to figure out how to maneuver and steer herself. Even then, she figured it would probably be quite a while before she was proficient enough to do it without focusing all of her attention on it. In any case, she started flying toward Nu Martyr, when she realized she had forgotten something. She wasn't just going to leave her most trusted friend behind, even if she couldn't use it anymore. Thus, she looped around and came back, swooping down where her rifle had been dropped during her transformation. When she arrived though, she found it in the hands of one of the cultist bastards, who was examining the rifle as thought it was his prize to take.

"Oh no you don't."

The man looked up in time see a big wyvern-girl come swooping out of the sky, one of her clawed legs grabbing a hold of the rifle, before she began to ascend again. The cultist, rather foolishly, held tight. As a result, he was soon suspended in the air above the city, clutching tightly to the magitech rifle. Nikki realized soon after that she was carrying extra weight, so she craned her neck to see why the rifle seemed so heavy. That was when she saw the cultist hanging on for dear life.

"Ugh... Get. Off."

She angrily shook her legs, causing the man's already weakening grip to finally slip free.

"Eeeeiiieeeeyaaaaahhhh!!!" 

Focusing forward again, Nikki now set course for Nu Martyr. She wasn't sure how she was going to be able to use her bike, now that she wasn't human, but she knew she had to get back to the Imperium. Little did she know that all the bike's navigation systems had been wiped, while her own memories of how to get to the Imperium had likewise been scrambled. She was on her own now, she just didn't know it yet...

Exit Nikki...

Defenders, Landonia.

In one of the lulls between the fighting, Nathan took stock of the situation. The Watchers were making headway against their enemies on all fronts. Max and Gale were ripping through the hordes, dozens falling in minutes. Arthur and Elias fought fiercely against the necromancers commanding them. Aided by the two castle's troops, they began to set up defensive lines on each island and steadily increased their efforts. Every projectile available was pressed into service and began to tear through the cadavers.

A half an hour of constant shooting and ripping and tearing and the flood of undead began to thin. Little by little, the team and their allies were culling the dead's numbers as more corpses went down and stayed down. 

Nathan's sharp eyes caught a glimpse of something in the distance. At that moment his jaw dropped in surprise and delight. Airships! Airships arriving, carrying living troops.

With a whoop of joy, he heralded the newcomers. 

Relief had come at last.