Veloci-Rapture

Spring Contest Workshop Thread!

Want to enter the spring contest (open for submissions from 4/1/19 - 4/30/19), but not confident in your grasp of writing techniques or mechanics? This is the thread for you!

DO:

Post questions about any writing subject you're not clear on; dialogue, action scenes, pacing, description, or anything!

Post advice and share tips!

Posit thought-provoking and inspiring ideas!

Ask for critique on short passages or sections from your NON-CONTEST-RELATED work, so you can take that information and apply it to your contest project!

Remember that contest entries are subject to the Impenetrable Veil of Secrecy; only you and I should see your entry before it's posted in full for voting. 

Give constructive, thoughtful critique of other peoples' work and answers to other peoples' questions!

DON'T:

Post any passages or excerpts from your contest project.

Insult or demean anyone else; we critique writing, not people.

Take any criticism of your work personally.

Take anyone else's different answers to a question you've already answered personally. 

I will try to get back to this thread at least once or twice a day to help answer questions and give critiques, and I hope others will join me to help create a friendly, collaborative learning experience. We all want to sharpen our fundamental skills so we can put our best work forward in the contest (except me, obviously, as I won't be entering, because I'm running it, but I'm sure you knew what I meant). 

MY CREDENTIALS:

A short (but growing) stack of rejection letters/e-mails

Two small contest wins

A couple of well-liked posts on Valucre

Which is to say, I have no real credentials, and am not an authority on anything other than the rules of my own little contest.

I don't even have a degree here. I'm a box-throwing warehouse grunt. Don't be afraid to disagree with me, and don't take my word as gospel. Not that any of you would, but, you know, just in case. I can be (and probably will be) wrong about things. On questions of preference or opinion, I'm stating exactly that: my preference, or my opinion.

So let's get our pencils ready, and feel free to throw out any questions you have!

I Apologize, but I will DECLINE from the workshop and the contest this year. I do NOT have anything to SUBMIT since what I WANTED to submit for Critique cannot be FOUND on Valucre, and though I posted it UP on this site.

Good luck everyone......I'll do the Halloween one later this year and WIN!!!

Benny

On 3/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, princeben07 said:

I Apologize, but I will DECLINE from the workshop and the contest this year. I do NOT have anything to SUBMIT since what I WANTED to submit for Critique cannot be FOUND on Valucre, and though I posted it UP on this site.

Good luck everyone......I'll do the Halloween one later this year and WIN!!!

Benny

Believe this is what you were looking for: https://www.valucre.com/topic/20477-subconscious-universe-preset-already-inbox-for-more-information-on-character-list/

12 hours ago, supernal said:

Who Me? QUIT? Who SAID that?

Admins: PLEASE DELTEE MY PREVIOUS POST and DISREGARD!!!!

Benny

I WANT to see how others react to THIS sample. I need INPUT and Critique.

I worked very HARD on this post a long time ago, say 2014. I'm THINKING about bringing this style of Narrative ABCK without confusing the readers.

here it is, OPEN for CRITIQUE>

Benny

"Activation of nostalgic memories could nullify even the ominous ones who seek revenge; the Liberty bells that rang in his head were echoing on a fragile psyche of the mind. It could see clearly of the shadows that moved about in a perverse manner' almost as if the spirit world couldn't even find a fucking exit.

His eyes carved out shapes and his ears made sub-cellular tapestries of sounds of silence; almost trifectors. Disease-ridden confusion amongst the normal really kept his body in a lot of pain. A single lantern lit his ways as he walked in a motion of almost being in a drunken state; but it wasn't that. It was the pain that his body experienced each time someone somewhere else died; it was THAT painful.

That ravenous thirst was in his throat again; he had consumed the blood of over 12 virgins; all of them pure and untainted by the muse of horny and misguided males only looking to burst through their Hymens and cause them to bleed during the act of intercourse. Hand now upon his head as he had to just STOP WALKING, Vantrix then began to take in a deep breath; it was like he had ten lost helixes that had programmed his bronchial Sacs to just expunge all of the remaining air from his lungs; his bellows now sore as ever.

Letting forth a sigh, then a few heaves from coughing, Vantrix reached for the first set of bannisters from the staircase, only to feel another hand clasp around his left upper arm, helping him along. This shadowy figure had an inhaler in her hand as well, talking in a garbled language at first, but as he was to focus his eyes to the districts of her shaply figure, he could now focus on who it is that had saved him from those miserable catacombs; Vistage.

They called her Vancie for short, since no one really liked her birth name; it just sounded like a redundant resemblance to a reality whiplash of terrible birth-naming. "