supernal

Summarized results from RP Survey

17 hours ago, supernal said:

Most people (41%) take 30 minutes to post; the second largest group (26%) takes 1 hour

I've always wondered about this. TIL I am much slower than most Val writers. Now I wonder what is the average post length (by word count)...

Cool results. Thanks for sharing.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, Witch said:

I've always wondered about this. TIL I am much slower than most Val writers. Now I wonder what is the average post length (by word count)...

Cool results. Thanks for sharing.

It honestly varies for me. For certain posts, I might do some research into things that I’m including in my post, such as looking up information on castles if I’m writing in a castle setting. I write with music a lot too so it might take some time before I find a track that fits. Because I like to analyze others’ IC posts, determining what I might react to and what I might not, it can take some backtracking. Before I post, I also proofread (never enough) at length.

If I’m just writing the post itself it could take me 30 minutes even for a long one. But I’m usually not. I tend to pause for said research or simply for reflection, and maybe for a cup of tea.

6 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

It honestly varies for me. For certain posts, I might do some research into things that I’m including in my post, such as looking up information on castles if I’m writing in a castle setting. I write with music a lot too so it might take some time before I find a track that fits. Because I like to analyze others’ IC posts, determining what I might react to and what I might not, it can take some backtracking. Before I post, I also proofread (never enough) at length.

If I’m just writing the post itself it could take me 30 minutes even for a long one. But I’m usually not. I tend to pause for said research or simply for reflection, and maybe for a cup of tea.

For me I take account all of that as part of the post time. If it only takes me 15 minutes to write a post but I also, usually, spend 15 minutes revising it, then my total post time (TPT; store this in memory for later use in mathematical formula) is 30 minutes

If those research intensive posts are only occasional vs if that's what you do most of the time skews your average one way or another 

8 minutes ago, supernal said:

For me I take account all of that as part of the post time. If it only takes me 15 minutes to write a post but I also, usually, spend 15 minutes revising it, then my total post time (TPT; store this in memory for later use in mathematical formula) is 30 minutes

If those research intensive posts are only occasional vs if that's what you do most of the time skews your average one way or another 

Agreed entirely. If I type the first word and do a bunch of ancillary things before I type the last word then it all counts to me as posting time. 

1 minute ago, Die Shize said:

Agreed entirely. If I type the first word and do a bunch of ancillary things before I type the last word then it all counts to me as posting time. 

Ancillary is such a good word choice because the denotation of 'support' is exactly right

The drinking of the tea would count. The making of the tea wouldn't unless, and this is possible even if unlikely, you use the process of making tea to get into, or enhance, a posting mindset (like keeping a zen garden, except you know, not), in which case I'd personally count it as part of the same process 

On 3/24/2019 at 4:36 PM, supernal said:

Most people (67%) prefer groups 3-5 in size; the second largest (26%) prefer one-on-one

Aside from the answers regarding lore organization, this one was really interesting to me. 9 out of 10 members (who replied to the survey) most enjoy roleplays where participants are under 5 people 

I take about an hour to write a post start to finish, including organizing thoughts etc. It is a soft time box, because it correlates with the amount of time I spend getting home on buses and the train (lol.) These 1-hr posts are not particularly long, normally ranging from 350 to 550 words. Most of my posts fall into this range, with some exceptions. I can spend 30 mins on a brief post (180 - 300 words), or upwards of 3 hours on a particularly long post, or when I need to respond to very large threads.

36 minutes ago, supernal said:

Aside from the answers regarding lore organization, this one was really interesting to me. 9 out of 10 members (who replied to the survey) most enjoy roleplays where participants are under 5 people 

To me, 3 - 5 good writing partners produce the best RP experience. (although I would extend that range to 3 - 7 personally) Having more than 1 other person means a more varied experience and more ideas to work with, but not too much that it becomes messy.  The pace also isn't too fast or too slow. It's not that I don't enjoy 1x1 or larger threads, but if I were to stick with a number for the rest of my life, I would go 3 - 5 (or 7).

Edited by jaistlyn

It was fortunate that I wasn't drinking something when I read that most people take about 30 minutes to write a post because there would have been a messy spit-take of envious rage. 

For an average post, I spend around two to three hours writing. There have been responses that took me days (obviously not in one sitting, if that happens please send help) of writing and rewriting. 

No wonder people write crank out responses at a quicker rate than I do! 😅

2 minutes ago, jaistlyn said:

Hmmmmm so far it seems no one who has commented here actually fall in the 30-min range. Where are these majority?!

I’m one! 

But that’s just me. Maybe all the other hyper posters are too busy hyper posting?

I had Tyler in mind when I said that