Jotnotes

Long Roads Ahead (Back to Square One)

On 6/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, Vetanoob said:

"So what do you say, chief? Kill? Or Incapacitate?"

"There's a third option you haven't considered," Torie said, eyeing the circling kobolds intently. When one of them lunged with a knife - a feint - Torie lunged forward at the same time and bit down on the creature's hand. Bones popped between her teeth and the kobold screamed, but she tossed her head and flung the kobold sideways, sending it skidding across the road. It didn't get up but lay on its side in a foetal position, cradling it's mangled hand. Torie spat out the knife and then rose up on her hind legs with a grunt.

"Now, who else wants to lose an arm?" she said in a booming voice. Easily twelve feet tall and five feet wide, she was a sight to behold, despite her impressive paunch. Those green tiger eyes went wide and round with rage, and blood dripped from the corner of her mouth and down her chin - she'd cut her lip on the kobold's knife, but wasn't about to tell him that.

Caught between a giant tiger and their injured, squealing companion, the kobolds heads swivelled with indecision...

2 hours ago, Venus Sprite said:

"There's a third option you haven't considered," Torie said, eyeing the circling kobolds intently. When one of them lunged with a knife - a feint - Torie lunged forward at the same time and bit down on the creature's hand. Bones popped between her teeth and the kobold screamed, but she tossed her head and flung the kobold sideways, sending it skidding across the road. It didn't get up but lay on its side in a foetal position, cradling it's mangled hand. Torie spat out the knife and then rose up on her hind legs with a grunt.

"Now, who else wants to lose an arm?" she said in a booming voice. Easily twelve feet tall and five feet wide, she was a sight to behold, despite her impressive paunch. Those green tiger eyes went wide and round with rage, and blood dripped from the corner of her mouth and down her chin - she'd cut her lip on the kobold's knife, but wasn't about to tell him that.

Caught between a giant tiger and their injured, squealing companion, the kobolds heads swivelled with indecision...

Aaric cringed and went 'ooh!' at the tigress' handiwork. He was impressed, to say the least. It seemed she wasn't averse to being a tad savage against her opponents. "Welp... looks like severely injure looks like its on the table. Now which of you folks would like to dance?"

The two kobolds in front of him hissed angrily and charged with their shovel and pickax. The wayfarer charged with a burst of speed, drawing his twin swords and locking both blades with the kobolds. With a swift twist of his body, he escaped from the line of fire and stabbed their makeshift weapons into the ground before hitting both their foreheads with the pommels of his swords. Briefly discombobulated, Aaric kicked one scaly fiend a couple of meters away with a sickening crack! and shot a bolt into the other one's knee with a flick of the wristbow causing it to collapse onto the ground with a squeal of pain. 

Before Aaric could admire his work, his danger senses kicked into overdrive. He ducked a large swing from a two-handed broadsword just before it could cut his torso in half. Turning to face the supposed kobold leader, he swung his blades against the creature's own with a loud clang! Surprisingly, this strength of this particular one was more than a match for the wayfarer's and he mentally kicked himself in the head for forgetting that fact. The kobolds may be small, but they were still related to the dragon race and their physical strength and durability was not to be scoffed at. 

As the pair locked blades, Aaric could feel himself getting pushed back. The kobold leader roared into his face, splattering it with globules of spit as Aaric flinched and lost his footing and fell onto his back.

A shadow loomed over him as he opened his eyes to see the kobold raise his longsword, fully intent on clefting him in twain. 

Priscilla was startled to see the kobolds react with such hostility to her laughter, and even more surprised when they drew weapons. Her good humors died as the flash of a dagger appeared in one's hand. Another procured a pick, and the others had other weapons of varying designs.

Where did they get those? 

She reflexively reached for her weapon, and Aaric prompted the trio to pull close together, to her chagrin. The five kobolds were a little more menacing carrying weapons around, trying to flank them. Priscilla had hoped this could resolved without violence, but her party seemed willing to reciprocate quickly.

At least Aaric, with his gadgets and dexterous movements, was willing to wait a moment, to ask her how she wanted this to play out.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:33 AM, Vetanoob said:

"So what do you say, chief? Kill? Or Incapacitate?"

Ideally, Priscilla had wanted to at least talk with the monsters a little more before rushing into anything. Their wagon, behind the infuriated kobolds, was still in mostly-good shape. It could have made their travels a bit easier if they could get it working, and the koblds almost certainly would have made for some useful extra hands. She tried to figure out how best to deescalate the situation before things got out of hand.

"There's a third option you haven't considered," Torie said.

Priscilla flinched, as the tigress leapt at an offending kobold. It was difficult to see it happen--it was almost a blur of activity--but she recalled the sound the kobold's arm made as it was pulverized by powerful jaws and razor sharp teeth, and for a second, the runesmith had to shut her eyes and look away. She couldn't shut out the kobold's shrieks of pain, however, and it quickly unnerved her.

Although it wasn't helpful, Priscilla shut her eyes, and refused to open them, as the sounds of conflict stirred around her. It wasn't like she was unfamiliar with fighing, unfamiliar with murder, but the kobolds were close enough to being people--and Torie was close enough to being not people--that it brought on some kind of revulsion she couldn't shoulder easily. She took a few deep breaths, and then a few more. Her breathing wasn't coming back down, however, and her heart continued to race. She tried, in vain, to respond to the sound of conflict nearby--and eventually found a way to fight through the lump in her throat to say--something.

"Okay, that's enough!" She shrieked. It was an almost inhuman noise--like the cry of a dying animal, rather than that of a distressed person. She opened her eyes, and was more or less terrified to see the kobold bearing down on Aaric had stopped its swing. They'd all, more or less, managed to stop for a few moments. In the moment, she found her will again, and gripped her crossbow tightly. She glared daggers into the kobold closest to her, and every other kobold  she could see.

The one standing over Aaric didn't stop forever, however, and brought up the sword again. In response, Priscilla gave a noise of disgust, and swung the heavy metal crossbow like a club, and batted the 'bold back.

"I said enough!" She snarled. This time, none of them raised arms again, and she lowered the crossbow--she would notice later on that she didn't actually have any bolts to fire, anyway.

"We aren't here to fight you, and if you just behave for a few minutes, nobody has to get hurt." She told the kobolds. The kobold's patriarch--the one who'd spoken up the most, and appeared to be in charge, hadn't been harmed during the brief struggle. He was armed with a crude dagger made of straightened bits of wire, bound together into a crude shank. With a brief survey of the conflict, it was pretty evident that the peace wouldn't last forever. She hoped, then, that she could make some kind of peace before the fighting broke out again.

She took a moment to pull Aaric to his feet, and talked again to the patriarch. He still clutched that shank tightly, and when before she got a word in, he all but exploded.

"Idiot human! Ruined escape!" He spat up at her. 

"Escape? So you're escaping?" She asked. She looked at the cart again. "Whose cart is that, then?"

"Your beast chewed up my hand!" The mangled kobold cried from the ground, where it refused to get to its feet.

"You bashed my head!" Another one complained.

The kobold with an arrow in its leg didn't say much--it was alive, but rather untalkative.

"You insulted Shank's crew!" The patriarch glowered, pointing an accusatory claw at her. They had plenty of reasons to be cross with them, certainly, but Priscilla was confident she could talk them through it--or at least buy her friends some time to recover, and perhaps chase off the kobolds. More than anything, she wanted to either dispatch the kobolds without unnecessary brutality, or depart from this engagement unharmed.

"Okay...Shank." She looked at Aaric and Torie, and back at the Patriarch. "We're only passing through. We only responded in self-defense, and I'm...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have laughed, but our friend here--" Her lips quirked up. "She's not just some animal." 

Ohoh. An idea bloomed in her head. 

"Tiger is animal, stupid!" The kobold snapped. "Has four legs and tail."

"She's no mere animal!" Priscilla insisted, a bit insulted. "In fact, she's...a powerful dragon, in disguise!" She gestured to Torie, and locked eyes with the tigress for a moment. 

Play along. She urged silently.

"Dragon?" The patriarch echoed, unconvinced. "Why would dragon look like tiger? Dragons is proud! Kobolds know this!"

Regardless, the other kobolds seemed a little intrigued by the prospect. A few even trotted forward a bit to investigate further.

Edited by Jotnotes

On 6/7/2019 at 5:29 AM, Jotnotes said:

"Your beast chewed up my hand!" The mangled kobold cried from the ground, where it refused to get to its feet.

Torie growled low, a rumble that could be more felt than heard, and eyed the injured kobold menacingly. She made no move towards it though.

At Priscilla’s insistence that she was a dragon, however, Torie looked over at the small human lady in surprise. But it didn’t take long for the idea to catch on, as if that glint in Priscilla’s eye was contagious.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:29 AM, Jotnotes said:

"Dragon?" The patriarch echoed, unconvinced. "Why would dragon look like tiger? Dragons is proud! Kobolds know this!"

“Dragons are proud,” she said loudly, voice booming as she stepped forward. To answer the leader’s question she said, “I am in disguise, so I may speak with humans. Sometimes it is time to terrify. Sometimes it is time to listen quietly. When a dragon wants to listen to humans it takes on human shape. But not me. Humans are disgusting.” She spat on the ground at Aaric’s feet. “Small, weak. So I appear this way. A noble beast. A beast of power. Humans will listen and respect, but this way I can still go into human buildings. And human cities. And nobody tries to hunt me. Nobody…” her malevolent pacing had brought her face-to-face to the kobold leader. “… until you.”

Despite only coming up to Torie’s shoulder, Shank nevertheless showed his bravery (or stupidity) with a sneer.

“Dragon who hates humans spend company with humans. You dragon? You prove it,” he said. “Show us you not just beast. Spread your wings. Blow fire. Or-”

“You dare test me!?” Torie bellowed, almost as loud as her roar, and all kobolds except the leader flinched backwards. “You dare ask me, Trashkill the Blight, to change form just to appease your curiosity? Who are you to ask such a thing?” She stepped forward, looming over the little scaly fiend, well aware that she had allowed the kobold to come dangerously close with that little knife of his, but hoping it wouldn’t be able to penetrate very far through her fur and hide if it decided to attack. Also aware that the name Trashkill sounded a lot better in her head than out of her mouth.

Blood still dripped down her chin, however, and her green tiger eyes were round with apparent fury.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:29 AM, Jotnotes said:

"Okay, that's enough!"

Aaric flinched at the intensity of Priscilla's scream, and miraculously the kobold stopped dead in his tracks! He deigned to finish the job, but not before said screaming lady charged forward and batted the offending creature away with a swing of her mighty crossbow. "Ugh... thanks!" Aaric groaned as Priscilla helped him up. "Now that was embarrassing." Somehow, Priscilla managed to stop the entire conflict with just her voice and truth be told, he was kinda impressed. 

"She's no mere animal!" Priscilla insisted, a bit insulted. "In fact, she's...a powerful dragon, in disguise!"

Wait... what? Aaric quirked a brow confusedly as the gears began turning in his head. Ahhh... I see. So this is her game. Clever, if Torie can pull it off.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:03 PM, Venus Sprite said:

“Dragon who hates humans spend company with humans. You dragon? You prove it,” he said. “Show us you not just beast. Spread your wings. Blow fire. Or-”

“You dare test me!?” Torie bellowed, almost as loud as her roar, and all kobolds except the leader flinched backwards. “You dare ask me, Trashkill the Blight, to change form just to appease your curiosity? Who are you to ask such a thing?”

Aaric had to stifle a chuckle at the name. Trashkill the Blight? Now that was a horrible naming sense if she ever had one! Not that he would say that to the tigress' face of course. Then again, the blood dripping down her chin and menacing gaze really hammered through the proud and frightening aura that was fitting for a dragon in disguise. He had heard tales of shapeshifting dragons who were bored of their lonesome existence and came down from their solitary mountains in search of companionship and adventure. If the kobolds knew such things of their kin, then it wouldn't be farfetched for them to believe this story they had spun. 

"It would be wise not to anger Trashkill the Blight, little fiends!" Aaric piped up. "She has seen fit to travel all the way from the cold mountains in the east and we have been designated as her loyal bodyguards. She does not need to change back into her original form for the likes of you! And doing so would alert the Vdara Kingdom and bring upon ruin for all of us! I knew kobolds were spineless, but who knew they were brainless as well?"

The rest of the creatures gazed at their leader for instructions, who stared at the ground and scratched his head. After a minute had passed, he strode towards Torie and knelt down in front of her. The rest of the crew, besides the one shot in the knee, followed suit. 

"Shank believes O' mighty Trashkill." The leader. exclaimed. "We serve."

Aaric held back a breath of relief. Their ruse had worked! For now at least. 

"Okay, Shank. Please inform mighty Trashkill what was it you were running away from. Who were you escaping from? Why is the cart full of arrows? Speak quickly or the mighty Trashkill shall deem to off your head!"

On 6/8/2019 at 4:03 AM, Venus Sprite said:

“Dragons are proud,” she said loudly, voice booming as she stepped forward. To answer the leader’s question she said, “I am in disguise, so I may speak with humans. Sometimes it is time to terrify. Sometimes it is time to listen quietly. When a dragon wants to listen to humans it takes on human shape. But not me. Humans are disgusting.” She spat on the ground at Aaric’s feet. “Small, weak. So I appear this way. A noble beast. A beast of power. Humans will listen and respect, but this way I can still go into human buildings. And human cities. And nobody tries to hunt me. Nobody…” her malevolent pacing had brought her face-to-face to the kobold leader. “… until you.”

Awesome. Priscilla stepped back, letting the tigress take helm, as she did her best to seem not proud, not indifferent, but expectant, waiting for command as befits a sla-

A servant. Yeah. The runesmith made a small mental note to talk to a professional about her deep-seated issues, lest they overflowed out of her eventually. For now, however, she cast her stare downward as Torie bluffed and blustered.

“You dare test me!?” Torie bellowed, almost as loud as her roar, and all kobolds except the leader flinched backwards.

Great! She had the on the ropes, now. All they needed to do was convince shank that they weren't bluffing, and they'd be home free.

“You dare ask me, Trashkill the Blight, to change form just to appease your curiosity? Who are you to ask such a thing?”

Oh. Oh dear.

Priscilla sincerely hoped that the kobolds were dumb enough not to think that name over too much. If there was one thing they were clever about, it was their dragon mythos. If Shank was worth his salt--and given how bold he was, she had to assume he was--he might pick up on the name before too long. She held her breath, and waited.

Torie was still doing a great job hamming it up, though. If she got any angrier she might actually turn into a dragon!

On 6/9/2019 at 4:48 AM, Vetanoob said:

"It would be wise not to anger Trashkill the Blight, little fiends!" Aaric piped up. "She has seen fit to travel all the way from the cold mountains in the east and we have been designated as her loyal bodyguards. She does not need to change back into her original form for the likes of you! And doing so would alert the Vdara Kingdom and bring upon ruin for all of us! I knew kobolds were spineless, but who knew they were brainless as well?"

Priscilla shot him a look, but only for a moment. Pulling random dragon facts out of nowhere wasn't going to do them any more favors. All it would take is one of the kobolds to figure out something wasn't right, and they'd all be in trouble. 

However, it didn't appear to come to that. Shank appeared convinced, and before long knelt before the tigress. All of the kobolds did, really. 

"Shank believes O' mighty Trashkill." The leader. exclaimed. "We serve."

Priscilla heaved a sigh of relief. It worked. She looked up from the ground, and Aaric piped up again.

"Okay, Shank. Please inform mighty Trashkill what was it you were running away from. Who were you escaping from? Why is the cart full of arrows? Speak quickly or the mighty Trashkill shall deem to off your head!"

Priscilla turned on her heels and clocked Aaric in the face, but it was already futile. Shank's eyes had narrowed in suspicion long before she threw the punch, and once she'd connected, they'd already leapt up, brandishing their weapons again.

"Trashkill?" Shank repeated, coughing in disbelief. "What dragon is called Trashkill? Is not honorable name, is insulting to dragonkin!" 

He brandished the dagger, pointing it at Torie, but he didn't strike. Instead, the kobolds backed up several paces, guaranteeing they had distance to evade an attack, or flee if necessary. Priscilla's hand stung, and she immediately felt bad about punching the boy for speaking up. So she reached down and pulled him to his feet. She leaned in close, and hissed in his face before pulling him upright.

"New plan," She whispered. "No more talking to the kobolds. Let Torie do the talking, and you worry about fighting."

"I said!" Shank called, loudly, aiming the dagger at Torie. He glared embers at her. 

"What kind of name is Trashkill? Speak, 'dragon!'"

Oh no.

Torie had hoped it wouldn’t come to this, but Shank wouldn’t be convinced easily it seemed. With an inward sigh she spread her legs, grounding herself to the earth, and closed her eyes, focussing on the wind blowing about her whiskers and ears.

From the outside it looked as if she might be meditating. On the inside, transformation happened. The energy she channelled moved up through the earth and down from the sky, meeting in the middle – her – and forming something new. She acted quickly, too quickly! And the residual heat burned her mouth and throat. But at last she opened her eyes.

“It’ss not my real name,” Torie said, low and dangerous, and as she did, was that a wisp of smoke escaping from her mouth? “It’s a nickname, and one I like. Because I burn trassh. Trassh like you.”

Torie opened her mouth, and around the wisps of smoke (or steam) and the smell of cooking flesh rolled a long, thin, forked tongue.

The kobolds were on their knees again in an instant.

“Don’t burn us,” Shank said, who had outdone the others by falling flat on his face. “Mighty Trashkill! Have mercy, mighty dragon. Please, we will serve you!”

Torie tried to fix an expression of supreme confidence, for just a moment longer. “You will sserve me. This is Priscilla, and Aaric. My loyal servantss. Do as they bid you, and no harm will come to you.”

Shank looked up at the two humans, seemingly appalled, but one of his subordinates spoke up for him.

“We will serve you in all ways, mighty Trashkill!”

Torie turned, walking past her friends, a pained expression on her face. She wanted to tell the kobolds not to call her that, and tell her friends she was in pain, but her mouth and throat were burning. Leaping into a jog, she ducked down behind a large bush by the roadside and gripped her throat in agony, the tongue she had made so quickly spilling out of her mouth like a snake.

The wayfarer breathed another sigh of relief as Torie somehow managed to conjure up some magic and unleash hot smoke from her throat. Was she trying to summon fire, perhaps? Though, he could see that it was imperfect and the tigress had a hard time suppressing its effects on her throat. He couldn't rush over too quickly or the kobolds would suspect something once again. He had to take their attention off of her long enough for the tigress to douse her throat with water. 

"Keep your eyes on the ground! You are not worthy to lay eyes upon the magnificent Trashkill!" Aaric exclaimed. Sure enough, they did as they were told. Quickly and silently, he rushed over to the hunched tigress and passed her his canteen of water before resuming his earlier position. 

"Now then..." He growled. "You will tell us where were you going and what you were running from. Or the mighty Trashkill the Blight will be very annoyed!"

He ignored the throbbing at the back of his head where Priscilla had clocked him earlier. Dammit, that hurt! How was I supposed to know the kobolds were slow on the uptake? They didn't suspect anything at all the first time they heard 'Trashkill'... maybe their brainlessness almost worked out for them. Stupid lizards...

Priscilla watched, and waited, breathless, as Torie pulled an ace.

She watched from the sidelines as the tigress hissed at the kobolds, and smelled the stench of smoke long before the tigress opened her mouth. Blackened, charred clouds wafted from her open maw, and settled low to the ground before rolling away. The smell of charred meat was enough to make Priscilla cover her mouth with her sleeve and look elsewhere for a while.

She had no idea where the Tigress had gotten this talent from, and she didn't want to know. What she did know, was that it had the desired effect. When Priscilla looked back, the kobolds had totally cowed to her companion.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:07 AM, Venus Sprite said:

“Don’t burn us,” Shank said, who had outdone the others by falling flat on his face. “Mighty Trashkill! Have mercy, mighty dragon. Please, we will serve you!”

Torie tried to fix an expression of supreme confidence, for just a moment longer. “You will sserve me. This is Priscilla, and Aaric. My loyal servantss. Do as they bid you, and no harm will come to you.”

Shank looked up at the two humans, seemingly appalled, but one of his subordinates spoke up for him.

“We will serve you in all ways, mighty Trashkill!”

Torie trotted around, while the bewildered kobolds watched, waiting for her judgement. Instead, the tigress leapt away, hiding for a few moments while they all looked around with confusion.

Again, Aaric seemed eager to help, and Priscilla winced again as he picked up again, putting on his tough guy voice once more. This time, instead of punching him, she let him speak, and walked off to go check on the tigress.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, Vetanoob said:

The wayfarer breathed another sigh of relief as Torie somehow managed to conjure up some magic and unleash hot smoke from her throat. Was she trying to summon fire, perhaps? Though, he could see that it was imperfect and the tigress had a hard time suppressing its effects on her throat. He couldn't rush over too quickly or the kobolds would suspect something once again. He had to take their attention off of her long enough for the tigress to douse her throat with water. 

"Keep your eyes on the ground! You are not worthy to lay eyes upon the magnificent Trashkill!" Aaric exclaimed. Sure enough, they did as they were told. Quickly and silently, he rushed over to the hunched tigress and passed her his canteen of water before resuming his earlier position. 

"Now then..." He growled. "You will tell us where were you going and what you were running from. Or the mighty Trashkill the Blight will be very annoyed!"

He ignored the throbbing at the back of his head where Priscilla had clocked him earlier. Dammit, that hurt! How was I supposed to know the kobolds were slow on the uptake? They didn't suspect anything at all the first time they heard 'Trashkill'... maybe their brainlessness almost worked out for them. Stupid lizards...

Priscilla dipped away from prying eyes, and came to the tigress' side, in time to see her coughing up her tongue like it were taffy. The smell of skorched meat still clung to the air, and the sight and smell made Prisclla gag briefly. She overcame it, and knelt next to the beast.

"Are you gonna be alright?" She asked in earnest, before dipping her voice a bit lower. "I'm sorry; we shouldn't have tried that stunt. It was a stupid idea...I think you did good, though." She looked back, and added hopefully. "We might even be able to get these guys to help us repair this wagon for us. Could make travelling safer."

The kobolds were still shaken, and Shank was much more willing to cooperate this time around. 

"Shank's crew? We're running ways." He jerked a hand back towards the city. "Broke out of jail. Stole a wagon." Shank threw himself back down on the ground, prostrating again. "Kobolds only wish to serve true dragons! Not liarsome salamanders, and their sticky tricky ways!"

"Ah! Yes! Kobolds serve!" One of them piped up. That seemed to start a small chain of reactions, with each of them piping up to cry out for the chance to serve. 

"Shank and crew would only serve true dragons like mighty Trashkill!" Shank spoke, still on his hands and knees. "Kobolds can take care of dragon, yes? Bring food, shiny bits, take care of eggs, even!"

5 hours ago, Jotnotes said:

"Are you gonna be alright?" She asked in earnest, before dipping her voice a bit lower. "I'm sorry; we shouldn't have tried that stunt. It was a stupid idea...I think you did good, though." She looked back, and added hopefully. "We might even be able to get these guys to help us repair this wagon for us. Could make travelling safer."

Torie's mind was a maze of pain. It was hard to see anything through the blur of tears in her eyes, or even hear anything outside of the shouting in her own head, that inner monologue of desperation that screamed help me! to anyone and anything. Though eventually she pried her green eyes open to see the blurry outline of Priscilla standing beside her.

“Not okay,” Torie said in a bubbly voice, tears leaving trails in her fur over her plump and striped cheeks. “I have a weird request… Scratch me behind the ears? I need to relax… then can channel magic… to heal… ugh!” She stifled a roar, biting down on her forearm to distract herself from the pain. Long, pointed teeth bit through the fur and into her flesh. The magic was there, just out of reach, as if she was too busy nursing her injuries to grab at it. “If I could just relax,” she rasped. “My ears. Scratch me, please? Hard.” She turned her head to make it easier, then waited, shaking slightly.

As Priscilla checked on Torie behind the bushes, Aaric himself lorded over the quivering kobolds. Now that they were more cooperative, it would be easier for him to buy time for the tigress to recover from her misfired spell. 

6 hours ago, Jotnotes said:

"Shank's crew? We're running ways." He jerked a hand back towards the city. "Broke out of jail. Stole a wagon." Shank threw himself back down on the ground, prostrating again. "Kobolds only wish to serve true dragons! Not liarsome salamanders, and their sticky tricky ways!"

"Ah! Yes! Kobolds serve!" One of them piped up. That seemed to start a small chain of reactions, with each of them piping up to cry out for the chance to serve. 

"Shank and crew would only serve true dragons like mighty Trashkill!" Shank spoke, still on his hands and knees. "Kobolds can take care of dragon, yes? Bring food, shiny bits, take care of eggs, even!"

Salamanders? Aaric thought. Now there's an idea!

The wayfarer looked off into the distance from the direction the motley crew came from. It was clear and there was no guards nor any civilian in sight. He turned back to address them. "As a matter of fact, mighty Trashkill wishes to rid this world of those slimy salamanders! There is a mine, not far from here that are full of them. If you get that cart up and bring us to the mine, then the great and noble Trashkill shall forgive you for your transgressions!"

"Yes! Yes! Glory to the great Trashkill! Kill the salamanders!" The kobolds cheered. 

"Good! Get going and repair the cart!" Aaric exclaimed dramatically. "In the name of Trashkill the Blight!"

"TRASHKILL THE BLIGHT! HUZZAH!" The scaly creatures chanted in unison before turning their backs and rushing off to repair the remains of their wagon. 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:40 AM, Venus Sprite said:

“Not okay,” Torie said in a bubbly voice, tears leaving trails in her fur over her plump and striped cheeks. “I have a weird request… Scratch me behind the ears? I need to relax… then can channel magic… to heal… ugh!” She stifled a roar, biting down on her forearm to distract herself from the pain. Long, pointed teeth bit through the fur and into her flesh. The magic was there, just out of reach, as if she was too busy nursing her injuries to grab at it. “If I could just relax,” she rasped. “My ears. Scratch me, please? Hard.” She turned her head to make it easier, then waited, shaking slightly.

Priscilla's expression softened, and she complied quickly. It was hard to see a friend in pain, especially after she'd just completed the impossible for them. The runesmith reached out for Torie's ears and obliged her, scratching her behind one ear at first. She scritched fast and hard, before migrating to the other ear and following suit. It was a little difficult to stand as she was while scratching at this angle, so she shuffled a bit, and wrapped an arm around the tigress' head, stroking the back of her neck while scratching away.

"It's okay," She soothed. "The good news is that you'll never need to do that again. You did so good, Torie. You did the best you could." It was a little too easy for Priscilla to spout sappy remarks, but she hoped the tigress appreciated the gesture. She migrated back to the other ear, and scratched under her chin too, for good measure.

Torie sighed with relief, leaning into Priscilla’s scratches too hard, unbalancing the little lady. “Sorry,” she rasped, then did her best to relax.

The scratching and stroking was working. The pain was still there, but she had something else to focus on, though that wounded animal part of her brain just wanted to lash out at anything that touched her. Slowly though, she reached for the magic above and below, meeting them in the middle as she did before. Only this time, she channelled the energy into healing rather than creation.

“It was a stupid thing to do,” she said eventually, once the pain died down. “Probably should have just killed them. But… I’m glad I didn’t have to.” She pushed herself into a sitting position – an awkward task around her large stomach, and grinned at Priscilla wryly.

“Thanks. That was actually really good, especially for someone with such little hands. Any time you want, feel free to do that again. And if you have an itchy spot, just let me know and I’ll return the favour.” She gave Priscilla a playful nudge with her head, then stood on all fours with a sigh. In the distance she could see the kobolds repairing the cart, the one whose hand she mangled doing his (or her?) best to assist with one arm. Torie grimaced with guilt.

“So it looks like I need to pretend to be the boss for a while. But you’re still in charge. If I get too bossy, let me know? And feel free to make suggestions for the mighty Trashkill to consider.” She winked.

While the kobolds were busy repairing the cart, Aaric jogged over to the pair to see how things were going. Seeing Priscilla scratching the tigress behind the ears like a cat amused the wayfarer a little. For a moment, he swore he heard Torie purring at the attention the crossbow girl was giving her. He cleared his throat a little to get their attention.

"Ahem." Aaric muttered. "I hope you're feeling better, Torie. That stunt you pulled was marvelous!" Giving the Tigress the thumbs up, he turned to Priscilla. "So what's the plan now? Once they bring us to the mines, what are we going to do with them? Even if we did manage to take out the salamanders, we can't go back to the guild with them. They'd want to follow the mighty Trashkill wherever we go."

Priscilla scoffed a little at the 'little hands' comment, but let it slide. It wasn't really a hill worth dying on, claiming she had big hands. Instead, once the tigress was up and moving again, she turned towards Aaric as he approached. 

2 hours ago, Vetanoob said:

"I hope you're feeling better, Torie. That stunt you pulled was marvelous!" Giving the Tigress the thumbs up, he turned to Priscilla. "So what's the plan now? Once they bring us to the mines, what are we going to do with them? Even if we did manage to take out the salamanders, we can't go back to the guild with them. They'd want to follow the mighty Trashkill wherever we go."

Priscilla recalled them talking about salamanders, and realized with some small dismay that the quest wasn't talking about your garden variety lizards, and instead some big, fire breathing variant. It didn't bode well for the party alone, but perhaps they could get more information out of the kobolds about them.

"Well, I think they're going to be useful for dealing with the salamanders," Priscilla supposed. "They talked as if they knew where they were, so maybe they've met with them before. They could help us find an easy way to dispose of them."

Of course, they couldn't just take the kobolds with them after all. Yet, if the kobolds were going to help them kill a few monsters, then maybe they could spin that into a tall tale of some kind.

"If the kobolds survive through the ordeal, we can just explain to the mine owners that they're looking for work?" Priscilla suggested. "Torie can just tell them to dig in the mine, and prepare her a place to keep her dragon's horde. Maybe if we leave them alone long enough, they'll make a little home in there or something."

Just past them, the kobolds seemed to be working pretty quickly. They followed Shank's instructions without any hesitation, from the looks of things. He must have been pretty old, she supposed. He was wiser than your average kobold, for sure.

"Or, we can probably convince them to take off when we're done." The runesmith shrugged.