Jotnotes

Long Roads Ahead (Back to Square One)

Torie beamed a bright smile down at the rogue as he sat next to her, seemingly pleased with his decision. She tried to give him enough space so that he wasn’t squashed, but not so much space she was no longer in contact with him.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:31 AM, Vetanoob said:

"Y'know Torie... perhaps it would be much easier for you to get in if you changed into your human form." An idea flashed across his mind. "Could you show us your human form, if you wanted to?" 

“Errr… eheh,” Torie said nervously. “Yes, I could show you. Maybe I will one day. If you promise to not… you know. Objectify me.” She waved a giant paw nonchalantly, then grinned lopsidedly, raising the whiskers on one half of her face. “Why do you ask anyway?”

Aaric could feel the Tigress' purrs softly rumbling beside him as the carriage creaked along the dirt path. He knew cats purred, but he didn't realise large ones would purr this loudly!

On 7/20/2019 at 12:11 PM, Venus Sprite said:

“Errr… eheh,” Torie said nervously. “Yes, I could show you. Maybe I will one day. If you promise to not… you know. Objectify me.” She waved a giant paw nonchalantly, then grinned lopsidedly, raising the whiskers on one half of her face. “Why do you ask anyway?”

The wayfarer gasped mockingly. "Me? Objectify you? Why, Torie... I can't do that. We hardly know each other!" He gave his best foxy grin as he teased the changeling. "Well... I guess I'm just naturally curious is all. While travelling with my master I realised that the more I learnt about the world outside, the less I seem to know about it. I guess you could say changelings are my current interest right now. I've heard so much about changelings on my travels, I've always wanted to meet one but I never could! I've got so many questions... but then I probably couldn't ask most of them due to how they're... y'know... private, you could say? I guess?"

Aaric shrugged as he returned his own awkward, lopsided smile towards the tigress.  

21 hours ago, Vetanoob said:

I've got so many questions... but then I probably couldn't ask most of them due to how they're... y'know... private, you could say? I guess?"

Torie narrowed her eyes, though her smile remained.

"Well, there's only one way to find out. Try me. I'll tell you if you're being too private."

20 hours ago, Venus Sprite said:

"Well, there's only one way to find out. Try me. I'll tell you if you're being too private."

Aaric chuckled nervously before gulping. The fact that the tigress narrowed her eyes at him while keeping her smile was not lost on him. Raising his hands in mock surrender he decided to tread carefully with his questions. 

"Eh-heheh... I'll just start with something simple for now." The wayfarer continued. "How often do you change between your human and animal form? From what I can tell, you rarely stay in your human form... Much less show it to just anyone I guess. Why's that? Is it perhaps sacred to do so in your race or tribe?"

1 hour ago, Vetanoob said:

"Eh-heheh... I'll just start with something simple for now." The wayfarer continued. "How often do you change between your human and animal form? From what I can tell, you rarely stay in your human form... Much less show it to just anyone I guess. Why's that? Is it perhaps sacred to do so in your race or tribe?"

"No, nothing like that." Torie shook her head, and gripped the broken roof of the wagon a little tighter as they rounded a corner. "Let's see. Last time I was in my original form was... two years ago? When I turned sixteen. Generally that's when we adopt an animal form more permanently." Her eyes glittered with excitement as she explained. "You see, the forms we choose not to use don't age if we're not using them, so we make sure we reach physical maturity before we start staying in animal forms too long. It's not much good being a twenty year old woman in a ten year old's body! It also takes a lot of effort to go back and forth, and each time you do it, you lose some mass, which limits the size of the creature form you can become. And really..." She glanced over at the kobolds, to make sure they weren't listening, then leaned down and said conspiratorially, "It's dangerous, being a woman in foreign lands. People... treat you... differently," she said, picking her words carefully. "Mostly men. If they're not falling head-over-heels to court you then they're being offended because you didn't say hello to them. Or they're trying to buy sex from you. Or they're following you into dark alleys. Or ply you with drink, hoping to take advantage of you. No. You want to see how ugly humanity can get? Just travel alone as a woman. Much better to be an enormous, fat, fluffy tiger," she said, her playful grin returning. "It brings out the best in people!"
Torie looked up at Priscilla.
"You'd know what I'm talking about, right? Though, I'm sure it helps to carry a crossbow around. I should have thought of that!
"One advantage it did have was getting charity from people who see themselves as nobility. The common rabble have little problem associating with me in tiger form, but Dukes and Barons and Ladies are much more open to long hair and batting eyelids. But seriously, they're not that much fun to be around."

"So. Any more questions, Mister No-Tum? Or have I bored you to tears with the details?"

19 hours ago, Venus Sprite said:

"It's dangerous, being a woman in foreign lands. People... treat you... differently," she said, picking her words carefully. "Mostly men. If they're not falling head-over-heels to court you then they're being offended because you didn't say hello to them. Or they're trying to buy sex from you. Or they're following you into dark alleys. Or ply you with drink, hoping to take advantage of you. No. You want to see how ugly humanity can get? Just travel alone as a woman. Much better to be an enormous, fat, fluffy tiger," she said, her playful grin returning. "It brings out the best in people!"

"Ahhh... right." Aaric nodded in understanding. It was a logical explanation. Not exactly as interesting as he had hoped for, but it made sense. However, the way the tigress described about herself and her race in general hinted at the fact that they were naturally beautiful beings when in human form. In a world like theirs, it would do no good to be a beautiful woman travelling from place to place alone. The amount of attention would be annoying at the very least... and dangerous at the worst. "Yeah, I can definitely tell where that would be a problem."

"One advantage it did have was getting charity from people who see themselves as nobility. The common rabble have little problem associating with me in tiger form, but Dukes and Barons and Ladies are much more open to long hair and batting eyelids. But seriously, they're not that much fun to be around."

Now that made him sit up a little. Apparently, that little fact was surprisingly informative to him. Torie probably used her naturally alluring human form whenever she needed to interact with people of higher standing. From a infiltration standpoint, Torie would be great at sneaking into a high-ranking noble's court or party. Coupled with her modest acting skills, it would definitely be useful should the need ever arise. Then again, they wouldn't be subjected to such a scenario so soon... right?

"So. Any more questions, Mister No-Tum? Or have I bored you to tears with the details?"

"Oh, quite the opposite in fact. It's really interesting!" Aaric replied, scribbling furiously with a notebook and pencil in hand. The wayfarer beamed in satisfaction. "You can show us your human form whenever you feel comfortable, Torie. Don't mind us. Anyway I guess that's all for now. If I have any more questions I'll let you know."

He turned his attention towards Priscilla. "I've heard about rune making and enchanting items with it. But I've never seen it being done first hand before. I believe the tools to do so are quite special, yes? Since you need to start from scratch, how are you going to procure them? I don't mind helping you get your trade back on your feet."

The wayfarer let a kind smile grace his lips. He felt a sudden itch at the back of his neck, but for some reason ignored it and shuffled it to the back of mind.

Priscilla clambered into the carriage, laughing a bit to herself as Torie settled into her own seat, while the runesmith sat opposite of her. Aaric sat next to the fluffy tiger--though he looked more like he was being swallowed up by her from time to time, her fluffy mass absorbing him into her. He looked awfully comfy. Before long, the carriage began to move along, rattling down the road. Peering through the mostly-intact shell of a carriage, she could see the kobolds ahead of them piled up on the driver's bench. It was almost wide enough for all of them to fit easily, yet they jostled and jockeyed for room regardless, piling around Shank, who gripped the reins. Yet, despite their fiendish struggle, there was a sense of ease around them. They bullied for space, but they were friendly about it, and mostly well-meaning. They were far more tight-knit than Priscilla had reckoned, and it showed now that she had a little distance. Watching them dog-pile each other for space, only to laugh it off, was comforting. With a sly smile, she turned back inwards towards the other occupants as she listened to them talking to one another;

"Y'know Torie... perhaps it would be much easier for you to get in if you changed into your human form." An idea flashed across his mind. "Could you show us your human form, if you wanted to?" 

Aaric looked to his benchmate, and Priscilla did too. She kept quiet, listening comfortably from her side of the bench.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:11 PM, Venus Sprite said:

Errr… eheh,” Torie said nervously. “Yes, I could show you. Maybe I will one day. If you promise to not… you know. Objectify me.” She waved a giant paw nonchalantly, then grinned lopsidedly, raising the whiskers on one half of her face. “Why do you ask anyway?”

On 7/22/2019 at 8:32 AM, Vetanoob said:

"Me? Objectify you? Why, Torie... I can't do that. We hardly know each other!" He gave his best foxy grin as he teased the changeling. "Well... I guess I'm just naturally curious is all. While travelling with my master I realised that the more I learnt about the world outside, the less I seem to know about it. I guess you could say changelings are my current interest right now. I've heard so much about changelings on my travels, I've always wanted to meet one but I never could! I've got so many questions... but then I probably couldn't ask most of them due to how they're... y'know... private, you could say? I guess?"

On 7/23/2019 at 5:47 AM, Venus Sprite said:

She masked a smile. If Torie weren't a jungle cat, she'd almost sound flirtatious. Maybe she was.

On 7/24/2019 at 2:12 AM, Vetanoob said:

Aaric chuckled nervously before gulping. The fact that the tigress narrowed her eyes at him while keeping her smile was not lost on him. Raising his hands in mock surrender he decided to tread carefully with his questions. 

On 7/24/2019 at 4:01 AM, Venus Sprite said:

No, nothing like that." Torie shook her head, and gripped the broken roof of the wagon a little tighter as they rounded a corner. "Let's see. Last time I was in my original form was... two years ago? When I turned sixteen. Generally that's when we adopt an animal form more permanently." Her eyes glittered with excitement as she explained. "You see, the forms we choose not to use don't age if we're not using them, so we make sure we reach physical maturity before we start staying in animal forms too long. It's not much good being a twenty year old woman in a ten year old's body! It also takes a lot of effort to go back and forth, and each time you do it, you lose some mass, which limits the size of the creature form you can become. And really..." She glanced over at the kobolds, to make sure they weren't listening, then leaned down and said conspiratorially, "It's dangerous, being a woman in foreign lands. People... treat you... differently," she said, picking her words carefully. "Mostly men. If they're not falling head-over-heels to court you then they're being offended because you didn't say hello to them. Or they're trying to buy sex from you. Or they're following you into dark alleys. Or ply you with drink, hoping to take advantage of you. No. You want to see how ugly humanity can get? Just travel alone as a woman. Much better to be an enormous, fat, fluffy tiger," she said, her playful grin returning. "It brings out the best in people!"

Priscilla's attention waned, as she quickly became introspective, thinking back unwillingly to a number of very familiar-sounding events. Was the sudden scowl on her face noticeable, as she traced through the events again. How she'd lost her livelihood, how she'd been taken advantage of, more than once. Enslaved, starved, married off.

She swallowed bile, and mostly missed Torie's comment about her crossbow. She took a few deep breaths, and tried to focus on the now, instead of then. She meditated quietly, breathing heavy, and once again, a rune ebbed into the front of her mind again, with a cruel and violent throbbing that pulsed through her head often. She went for her knife again, turned it upside down and slowly began carving into the bench again. Once it'd been carved into the wood once, the next few times were far easier, and before long she was just mindlessly slashing the same pattern into the wood again and again.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:18 PM, Vetanoob said:

He turned his attention towards Priscilla. "I've heard about rune making and enchanting items with it. But I've never seen it being done first hand before. I believe the tools to do so are quite special, yes? Since you need to start from scratch, how are you going to procure them? I don't mind helping you get your trade back on your feet."

The wayfarer let a kind smile grace his lips. He felt a sudden itch at the back of his neck, but for some reason ignored it and shuffled it to the back of mind.

She heard him say 'rune', but little else. She stared balefully straight on, knife dredging into the wood. She continued her breathing exercises, and slowly, terribly, her memories faded away again, and Priscilla realized her eyes were stinging, and her cheeks were wet. She hadn't recalled when she'd started to cry, but she didn't bother hiding it. She simply lifted the hand carrying the knife, and rubbed her knuckles into her eyes, drying them out somewhat.

"Sorry, sorry." Her voice croaked. Her throat felt incredibly dry, and a bit hoarse. "I think we must've passed by some pollen spores...or something. I'm allergic, but I dunno what I'm allergic to." She put the knife away, and examined the pile of wood shavings next to her. she'd burrowed almost a few inches deep into the wood, and thankfully hadn't flinched or cut herself. She dusted off her bench, and returned to...well, she didn't know what.

"Right so, uh." She looked from Torie to Aaric uncertainly. "You said something about runesmithing?"

On 7/27/2019 at 4:05 PM, Jotnotes said:

"Sorry, sorry." Her voice croaked. Her throat felt incredibly dry, and a bit hoarse. "I think we must've passed by some pollen spores...or something. I'm allergic, but I dunno what I'm allergic to." She put the knife away, and examined the pile of wood shavings next to her. she'd burrowed almost a few inches deep into the wood, and thankfully hadn't flinched or cut herself. She dusted off her bench, and returned to...well, she didn't know what.

"Right so, uh." She looked from Torie to Aaric uncertainly. "You said something about runesmithing?"

Aaric was leaning forward. A worried frown across his face. She was displaying the same behavior when they were still back in the inn and it was not lost on him... or Torie either for that matter. He decided to keep mum about if for now as long as it didn't affect her ability to fight when the time came. Perhaps he could just continue to push the conversation to keep her focus? 

"Um, I was saying about how I've never seen runesmithing in action before." Aaric repeated, albeit slower and clearer for Priscilla's benefit. "If the tools needed for the trade are so special, how are you going to procure them? Do you make them yourself?"

The wayfarer added a reassuring smile to try and put Priscialla in a more comfortable mood.

12 hours ago, Vetanoob said:

"Um, I was saying about how I've never seen runesmithing in action before." Aaric repeated, albeit slower and clearer for Priscilla's benefit. "If the tools needed for the trade are so special, how are you going to procure them? Do you make them yourself?"

The wayfarer added a reassuring smile to try and put Priscialla in a more comfortable mood.

"Right, uh..." She put the blade away again, and shifted a bit. Aaric's smile was comforting, and put her at ease a bit, so she tried to keep her mind in the present again. 

"Well, it's not really a matter of correctness, but training, I think. At least, that's how it was for us, my dad and I." She explained. She sat forward a bit, getting comfy. 

"What we're looking for, specifically, are these really well-made iron tools, designed for handling runeite specifically. They're long-lasting, ambidextrous, and have a firm grip, but they don't have much pressure behind them. They're not essential," She said, "But they're easy to handle and use, and if you're familiar with them, they make runesmithing much easier."

She reflected on her father's collection some more.

"Runeite is really soft when heated--almost like warm butter, if you can imagine, so it's easy to ruin a slab if you aren't careful. I had special chisels, vices and small hammers, all of a really solid quality. In my time, I didn't have to replace even one of them, and I worked constantly with 'em." She sounded almost enthusiastic, recalling her works for a moment. "Once, I had to etch custom runes into a vampire's sandals, so that they could grow and shrink on command. She liked to be taller than everyone she encountered. That was a bit of an adventure."

"Getting new tools is going to be a hassle," She admitted, after a while. "They're fine designs for runesmithing, but there aren't exactly a lot of runesmiths running around, so they were a limited run. We'd be incredibly lucky to rebuy my entire collection, but I could settle for other tools, I think. It's a pity, really, that I don't have any of my old pieces." She mused thoughtfully. "I had some old pages written up on my tools--just in case I ever lost them and needed new ones. If I had those, I could probably commission whole new designs, even. I'd make a pretty buck, patenting them."

She paused for a bit, and another rune floated in her eyes, and she swatted at it blindly. 

"You'd also probably need to find an Oculum of some kind, too. Good luck with that."

As the young adventurer listened to her story, he couldn't help but emphathize with her plight. She once had everything, but now was reduced to almost nothing. Having the ability was useless if the correct tools weren't on hand. Much like how a woodsman was useless without his axe. 

"Yeah, I think I got an idea of what you're going through right now." Aaric replied. "But no worries! Torie and I can help you with that. That's what party members and friends are for right?

He flashed a confident smile, hoping his optimism could lighten Priscilla's mood a little. "I'm pretty sure we'll earn enough money together to at least procure some basic smithing tools for yourself. Just let us know what you need and we'll get through this together. Anyway, I'm in here for the long haul and for the adventure. Money's not much a problem for me anyway."

As dusk settled outside the carriage, the rogue decided to end the conversation there and get some rest. "Well, I won't keep the both of you up any longer. If you don't mind I'll just doze off right here. I'm a light sleeper, so if there's anything off I'll wake up right away. You two go ahead and have your snooze!"

On 7/30/2019 at 12:46 PM, Vetanoob said:

"Yeah, I think I got an idea of what you're going through right now." Aaric replied. "But no worries! Torie and I can help you with that. That's what party members and friends are for right?

He flashed a confident smile, hoping his optimism could lighten Priscilla's mood a little. "I'm pretty sure we'll earn enough money together to at least procure some basic smithing tools for yourself. Just let us know what you need and we'll get through this together. Anyway, I'm in here for the long haul and for the adventure. Money's not much a problem for me anyway."

Regardless of Priscilla's cloudy mood, and those uncomfortable memories, Aaric's own optimism warmed her up a little. She gave a mild smile in return, and sat back in her seat. He was right--there was money on the table before them, and if they could make enough of it, she'd be on her way back to being a merchant again! She'd have her shop rebuilt, her tools recovered, and she'd finally scratch that itch that had been lingering for so long in her eyes--those runes gleaming in the corners of her vision. Soon, she traced the runes she'd carved into the bench as she mused. Soon, she'd be able to put together another little cart, and stay far away from shady customers, and cults of all kinds.

The air was still for a bit as the conversation died down. Aaric stretch out, opposite of her.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:46 PM, Vetanoob said:

"Well, I won't keep the both of you up any longer. If you don't mind I'll just doze off right here. I'm a light sleeper, so if there's anything off I'll wake up right away. You two go ahead and have your snooze!"

She nodded, and decided to take him up on that offer. She shifted in her seat a bit, and leaned back. The bench wasn't very comfy, but she didn't mind getting a few hour's rest where she could. She threw her jacket over her body, and laid out on the bench. She fell asleep in a matter of minutes, dozing off right away.

The carriage shuttled along, undisturbed long into the night, with the kobolds up ahead taking care of navigating the vehicle. It made for a mostly smooth ride--Priscilla and Aaric's sleep, in particular, probably wouldn't have been interrupted, and the carriage rode along for only about an hour and a half, before the kobolds behind the wheel stopped, and climbed free. They began muttering and barking at one another, arguing over whether or not they wanted to awaken their draconic master. Instead, they mostly lounged around keeping watch for a short while, before climbing up and jabbing a finger into Priscilla's nose and cheek.

"Khh!" They hissed. "Lady! Lady! We are here!" 

Priscilla was slowly roused, and blinked the sleep from her eyes as she spied the kobolds in the doorway.

"We're here! We're close and near!" Shank announced. 

The runesmith slowly sat up, and rubbed her eyes; the night air was cooling quickly, and she put on her jacket quickly before hopping down. Gone was the crash site, and the city gates were far from sight now. On the side of the road--the road bent on the other side of the street, curving around as it went down a hill, a fairly-sized farm. A field or two of what appeared to be canola and wheat stood between them and the farmhouse, a pleasant, warm-looking cobblestone home with hay roofing. Even this late at night, warm light glowed in the windows, and a chimney still puffed smoke lazily into the mostly clear skies. Priscilla looked it over, and wondered if they had any spare beds.

She turned back to the kobolds.

"You say this is the place? Where are the Salamanders?" She asked them.

One of them, not Shank, jabbed a finger past the home, towards a small plateau, adorned with a crown of conifers and short grass atop it. 

"Just that way," It pointed. "Past the fields, past the house."

"Wait," She frowned. "So it's all the way over there? Then...we're not even close to it, yet."

"Not close, no, but the roads are difficult." Shank explained roughly. "Guards are always riding along it, watching this house."

"Why this house?" She asked. "It's just a little farm."

"A little farm with a kobold problem." Another chirped, a bit too helpfully.

She stared at the lot of them, and walked back to the wagon. She gave it a frustrated slap, to wake the rest of them up.

"Get up, get up!" She announced. "The kobolds can't go down the road, or they're gonna be arrested, because they've terrorized a nearby farm. We need to walk the rest of the way."

Torie woke up from where she lay propped up by the more healthy side of the carriage, blinking around in the lantern light. 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, Jotnotes said:

"Get up, get up!" She announced. "The kobolds can't go down the road, or they're gonna be arrested, because they've terrorized a nearby farm. We need to walk the rest of the way."

"Uggh… walk? Walk where?"

One of the kobolds pointed to the plateau.

Torie's tired brain reeled. She didn't want to walk all that way! "Buh... why do we have to walk? Just get the kobolds to wait here and then one of you drive the carriage the rest of the way." She put her head back down to sleep, stomach and the frame of the carriage groaning loudly.

Edited by Venus Sprite

Aaric was jolted out of his snooze at Priscilla's announcement and looked around to try and get their bearings. 

On 8/5/2019 at 3:40 PM, Venus Sprite said:

Torie's tired brain reeled. She didn't want to walk all that way! "Buh... why do we have to walk? Just get the kobolds to wait here and then one of you drive the carriage the rest of the way." She put her head back down to sleep, stomach and the frame of the carriage groaning loudly.

The wayfarer quickly tried to come up with a solution. Pressing on together with the kobolds was obviously a bad choice. However, leaving the kobolds here wasn't exactly a good idea especially if they got caught. They still had their uses so he surmised it would be waste to let them sit idly by and wait for guards to stumble across them. 

"How about this?" He exclaimed, clearing his throat to gain everyone's attention. "Shank and the rest of the lot shall disembark here and slowly make their way around the farm under the cover of darkness, whilst the three of us continue riding the cart past the farm without alerting any suspicions. We can regroup at the mines by sunrise.

"What do you think, Priscilla? What about you, o'mighty trashkill?" Aaric turned to his companions. 

Hopefully, the kobolds would have enough sense to follow Torie's commands instead of getting into trouble and holding everyone back. He sighed, this trip was beginning to be a tad troublesome for such a minor quest.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:40 AM, Venus Sprite said:

On 8/6/2019 at 12:45 PM, Vetanoob said:

"How about this?" He exclaimed, clearing his throat to gain everyone's attention. "Shank and the rest of the lot shall disembark here and slowly make their way around the farm under the cover of darkness, whilst the three of us continue riding the cart past the farm without alerting any suspicions. We can regroup at the mines by sunrise.

"What do you think, Priscilla? What about you, o'mighty trashkill?" Aaric turned to his companions. 

The runesmith glanced at their kobold companions. It was kind of odd--when they weren't out trying to hurt anybody, it was almost difficult to believe that they were a dangerous group. They looked like small, almost childish lizard people; for all of Shank's unpleasantness and age, even his eyes looked like finely polished bronze in the right lighting, the intellect behind those eyes glittering like precious metal. Yet, the majority of Kobolds were dangerous creatures--even violent creatures to the majority of the civilized world. It wasn't unsurprising that they might have a criminal history of sacking farms.

Letting them take the long way around seemed wise enough, she supposed, but she still doubted their loyalty. What if, while wandering through the corn, they stopped to grab something to eat? What if they encountered a farmhand, and had to attack him? Maybe the kobolds would just decide, once out of earshot, to abandon the party altogether and go their own way? It wasn't outside the realm of possibilities, certainly.

The alternative, then, was walking everybody through the cornfields, which the party was certainly opposed to. She glanced back at the kobolds, trying to gauge their usefulness.

"Look, Shank! I can fit in the spokes!" One of them announced. The runesmith looked on as the raspy kobold youth tucked herself neatly into one of the carriage's wheels, her tail and limbs tucked in, braced against the rim of the wheel as if she expected to go for a tumble. The titular Shank looked on, not amused. Eventually, she got out, and the others took turns trying to do the same, Most of them couldn't do as she did, but it was entertaining to watch them try.

She turned to the rest of the group. "It's really hard to believe these guys are actually dangerous, you know? Maybe there was some kind of mixup. We got the wrong batch of 'bolds."

On 8/7/2019 at 4:45 AM, Vetanoob said:

"I'm fine with whatever," Torie said, barely awake, then shuffled as she tried to get comfortable against the good wall of the coach. She was slouching now, and took up more space inside than she had before, leaving very little room for anyone else. "But let's hurry. There's some salamanders up there who would make a good breakfast. And I, for one, am starving."

Edited by Venus Sprite