The Bone King

Who will ascend to godhood? Who will fall to Sheol?

Would anyone here be interested in a Valucre version of Gaia's infamous Heaven or Hell tournament? I know exactly how to run it, it's just a matter of getting enough interested parties to join. The Gaia version has been a bit of a flop this year.

1 minute ago, The Bone King said:

Would anyone here be interested in a Valucre version of Gaia's infamous Heaven or Hell tournament? I know exactly how to run it, it's just a matter of getting enough interested parties to join. The Gaia version has been a bit of a flop this year.

I think there’s a lot of potential here since lots of people still like textual combat but a lot of people also aren’t familiar with Gaia’s tournament. Without cross linking can you tell people more about what they can expect? What this even means for interested parties? 

Godhood or Sheol is a team tournament consisting of teams of four members each. Each round, one member of each team sits out, acting as that team's designated striker while his or her three teammates pair up and do battle with three opponents from an opposing team.

A striker comes in for a duration of one post and either attacks a teammate's opponent or defends a teammate who might be in trouble.

You can start setting up your four man teams now and have the team captain send me a private message with character names and who they are played by.

I am shooting for there being at least sixteen teams.

As an “at least” minimum requirement I have to agree with akiris 

You’d be better off with a tournament that can start with 8-16 fighters, especially as an unknown entity when it comes to hosting and managing tournaments. After one or two successful iterations it’ll grow probably  

I was just talking to @Spooky Mittens about why HoH failed on Gaia and he very accurately noted that these three-on-three team brawls are such a logistical nightmare that expecting even one 8 person fight to actually write to completion is almost impossible. 

HoH's biggest problem is always a petering out of participation. And it would be no different here. I agree with Supernal that if such a thing were done here (not that we particularly need it here, since its nothing revolutionary rules-wise,  and more just one Gaian clique's past-its-prime social event) it should be really, really scaled back in scope. 

At that point, just go find a handful of fighters and organize them into a bracket for fun. Which, I think, people do here already occasionally. 

I'd also like to type, as a former Gaia Online roleplayer, is that these tournaments foster power playing and power players, which is one thing I wanted to leave behind (as well as the stagnant RP community centered around an endless amount of tavern threads).

Agreeing with @Vansin here: the HoH tournament was always very cliquey, hard to run, and usually heralded some kind of between-player drama that'd keep the cliques actively drama-llama-ing all over the place for the rest of the year until the next one.  Also, last time I saw, everyone was Vintrict.

Maybe start us off with something simple that doesn't require too many people.  Fight threads might clutter the place up if you have too many going on all at once.

Edited by Ghorroj

I made Duck Watch.

@HoH: in a nutshell, it's a "nonlethal" lethal team tournament with an extensive set of parameters to it.

I'd not worry about it being linked, I've been in it for years and I'd still give you a hearty do not even contemplate participating due to the inherent nature of Gaia's community. (There really isn't any nicer phrase for this, but the word "shit" really captures it well.) Or I suppose in politer terms, it's certainly toxic. Also quite inactive.

However, the format itself is superb and can be scaled down to two man teams and keep many if not all of the same mechanics.

For every 50 cool tournaments that get proposed and finalized here, 10 actually start, 4 get to round two, 2 complete, and only 1 (at most) completes without some kind of massive OOC drama.

I'd love to put Ananias into another tournament; I volunteer for every one that doesn't involve random dice rolls and/or more rules than 2nd Edition Dungeons and Dragons, but to date I've actually fought two whole rounds. 

Great idea, but will fail in the implementation. Only good for my inner bookie. Number of players dropping between character sheets and round one is over/under 5! Number of posts in X vs Y before an OOC conflict happens is over/under 3! Place your bets!