EtherealWings

So let's try something different. [Open]

So the thing with this thread is there are no rules (and relatively no post order) really but keep it romance-free and PG. You jump in and create a starter or interact with someone already in the story (keep in mind responses to this should be more fast-paced as it's just something for fun. The length of your responses can be your preference). The only catch is you must use a character that is from a video game (like Legend of Zelda, for ex) or from an animated show. If it's a character that's more unknown, somewhere within your message put some information about them.

The theme of this random RP is gathered from some inspiration I got recently about similar situations I've seen in stories. The genre is more leaning toward comedy as well as suspense/mystery. Any powers they had previously would be gone, leaving them basically powerless in this strange world. They would not remember their original lives but have new lives currently in this world. Perhaps they are in college, or they work a job, or they're a thug running through the streets--- whatever it is they do daily. 

The story takes place in a modern-like city where people wake up in a foreign, or maybe not so foreign land. What the characters don't know, is that everything around them is not truly what it appears. The longer they spend their time there, the more that some of them might to feel "off" or visibly notice something unusual going on. 

Go ahead and leave which character you claim below. And head to this thread to post a starter: 

Edited by EtherealWings

I moved this to the water cooler and switched some of the tags around. The WC is where people go most often to look for checks and it also posts your thread as part of the “roleplay checks” widget so it’ll increase exposure 

The actual IC thread is what would go in Alternative  

Good luck! 

20 minutes ago, supernal said:

I moved this to the water cooler and switched some of the tags around. The WC is where people go most often to look for checks and it also posts your thread as part of the “roleplay checks” widget so it’ll increase exposure 

The actual IC thread is what would go in Alternative  

Good luck! 

Just to clear things up can the written story be within this particular post or do I create another where it was initially?

1 minute ago, EtherealWings said:

Just to clear things up can the written story be within this particular post or do I create another where it was initially?

The second 

This thread you'd treat as the ooc - to recruit and answer questions and just chat. The roleplay / story itself would go where this thread originally was, the Alternative board 

1 hour ago, EtherealWings said:

So the thing with this thread is there are no rules really but keep it romance-free and PG. You jump in and create a starter or interact with someone already in the story (keep in mind responses to this should be more fast-paced as it's just something for fun. The length of your responses can be your preference). The only catch is you must use a character that is from a video game (like Legend of Zelda, for ex) or from an animated show. If it's a character that's more unknown, somewhere within your message put some information about them.

Got a few questions. Since the whole objective is to be a new life version of a video game character does that mean you can be a create your own character or is this limited to premade characters already existing within the game itself. I ask because create your own's like Skyrim's Dragonborn or Fallout 4's Survivor would definitely provide a sense of unique characters and since they wouldn't retain their abilities from their world then in a sense it's just playing a powerless protagonist and the ability to actually roleplay your own video game character that you created.

Second question. I saw abilities won't be retained but would the items the have on their person be accounted for. Like would Link from Legend of Zelda keep his master sword, shield and fun stuff, or even the Survivor's gun and possible power armor from Fallout 4. I ask cause of the PG rating and seeing if their gear would be allowed.

Third question. Since characters like Link has different variations based on the game you're playing would it be allowed for someone to say... play Link from Breath of the Wild and another does Link from The Winder Waker or is it once you choose a character all variations are off the table.

Final question. Since you say only characters from animated tv/video games are allowed would named creatures that aren't human based would be allowed? Skyrim and Fallout has plenty of named creatures/non-humans that can talk and act on their and things like Undertale/Deltarune is almost entirely monsters with the sole exception of Frisk and Chara.

20 minutes ago, SteamWarden said:

Got a few questions. Since the whole objective is to be a new life version of a video game character does that mean you can be a create your own character or is this limited to premade characters already existing within the game itself. I ask because create your own's like Skyrim's Dragonborn or Fallout 4's Survivor would definitely provide a sense of unique characters and since they wouldn't retain their abilities from their world then in a sense it's just playing a powerless protagonist and the ability to actually roleplay your own video game character that you created.

Second question. I saw abilities won't be retained but would the items the have on their person be accounted for. Like would Link from Legend of Zelda keep his master sword, shield and fun stuff, or even the Survivor's gun and possible power armor from Fallout 4. I ask cause of the PG rating and seeing if their gear would be allowed.

Third question. Since characters like Link has different variations based on the game you're playing would it be allowed for someone to say... play Link from Breath of the Wild and another does Link from The Winder Waker or is it once you choose a character all variations are off the table.

Final question. Since you say only characters from animated tv/video games are allowed would named creatures that aren't human based would be allowed? Skyrim and Fallout has plenty of named creatures/non-humans that can talk and act on their and things like Undertale/Deltarune is almost entirely monsters with the sole exception of Frisk and Chara.

Yo thanks for all the questions!

By video game characters (i have thought of the ones that have custom characters), but I'm aiming for characters that are more distinctly created. Not like ones we create in-game. In Fallout 4 there was a story with that character, so things like appearance might vary but I'd make an exception as there is a story behind both the male and female roles in that game. If that makes sense.

As for their weapons and such perhaps they have these items but say Link's sword, especially since this is modern, it'd be simply a decoration in his home for example. Also for the sake of no character repeats, only one chosen version of Link could be used, with the exception of "shadow or evil" clones. Sort of how there's dark Link. If the Character has weapons or armor and you want the character to be able to use them, they'd be in some kind of position to do so in the new society. Such as a cop, gangster, something like that.

Animals and non-humans are allowed in the story, they'd just be considered the norm of society. Such as a lizard dude or what not, they'd be welcome and function as the humans or typical animals do.

oh, I should probably add- When they're in this world the clothing and things might reflect their original game or outfit they initially wore but it's like a modern style similar to how you'd see today. But as for items, yeah, if you can see a way to fit it into the society nonchalantly, go for it.

Let me know if I left out anything.

Edited by EtherealWings

https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Dracula

I'M STRANGELY INTERESTED. The funny thing is, I'm actually running an abstraction of the Dracula concept as a Heroic Spirit in an Exalted game adapted to the Fate universe, so this is pretty much...yeah. What I'm already up to. It should help me to get in the mind of my tabletop Vlad Tepes.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, susitsu said:

https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Dracula

I'M STRANGELY INTERESTED. The funny thing is, I'm actually running an abstraction of the Dracula concept as a Heroic Spirit in an Exalted game adapted to the Fate universe, so this is pretty much...yeah. What I'm already up to. It should help me to get in the mind of my tabletop Vlad Tepes.

Cool! Also, just a side note: because Dracula is well, Dracula, his typical vampiric abilities and tendencies are restricted for the sense of this particular world. 🙂

8 hours ago, EtherealWings said:

Cool! Also, just a side note: because Dracula is well, Dracula, his typical vampiric abilities and tendencies are restricted for the sense of this particular world. 🙂

Yup! I'll be working on something for this today, though I need to respond to another roleplay. I'm personally obsessed with Castlevania Dracula's morality, and the idea of the human hating vampire Dracula suddenly being a memoryless human who hates humans to a ridiculous extent and doesn't know why struck me as amusing. He's a man of science, of enterprise, of empire, so naturally he will try to quell his confusion with logical understanding while focusing on uplifting his own status.

Hmmm. I'm torn between two of my favorite Daedric princes from Skyrim. Sheogorath or Jyggalag. They are the same person technically but considering switching from Jyggalag and Sheogorath would be a power then that's not applicable.

Do I become the Mad God himself or do I become the keeper of order, Jyggalag.

53 minutes ago, SteamWarden said:

Hmmm. I'm torn between two of my favorite Daedric princes from Skyrim. Sheogorath or Jyggalag. They are the same person technically but considering switching from Jyggalag and Sheogorath would be a power then that's not applicable.

Do I become the Mad God himself or do I become the keeper of order, Jyggalag.

Flip a coin and the one it lands on, if you're upset with the outcome, pick the other!

After looking them up, Jyggalag seems the closest match. "antagonist in the Shivering Isles expansion and the Daedric Prince of Order. He represents logical order and deduction and has taken account of every detail of the world and of every action that has ever taken place on Mundus or Oblivion, long before... Jyggalag (in Daedric script, ) is the main antagonist in the Shivering Isles expansion and the Daedric Prince of Order."

Edited by EtherealWings

4 hours ago, EtherealWings said:

Flip a coin and the one it lands on, if you're upset with the outcome, pick the other!

So I was thinking. Since Sheogorath is the Mad God and is literally insane could it be possible he retains his memories and when talks about them, nobody believes him and calls him insane? Be a neat little thing that would let him keep his appearances of being mad without actually changing who he is much. If not that's fine, just a question I thought I'd ask. Side note are we limited to one? Might do them both if allowed.

Also if I do Jyggalag I might make him a crime detective being a person of order and paying attention to detail. 

Edited by SteamWarden

1 hour ago, SteamWarden said:

So I was thinking. Since Sheogorath is the Mad God and is literally insane could it be possible he retains his memories and when talks about them, nobody believes him and calls him insane? Be a neat little thing that would let him keep his appearances of being mad without actually changing who he is much. If not that's fine, just a question I thought I'd ask. Side note are we limited to one? Might do them both if allowed.

Also if I do Jyggalag I might make him a crime detective being a person of order and paying attention to detail. 

You were saying they were the same person before? Just wondering. Also, I don't mind if you pick multiple characters. If you pick a detective it might drive me to put Keith Kogane in a crime division too, maybe, considering his attributes of fighting.

I do want to ask, though, by "God" do you just mean he's just the King of madness? He could possibly retain his memory since he's mad, being the illusion and confusion may not affect him as much. I'm not sure about involving both at once, though, just cause you said something about them being the same person, I'm not sure how it would be worked out if they were separated in-story. Though even in this world their bodies are affected too, so if they do remember they don't regain these abilities until they escape... if they make it that far... at the end.

Edited by EtherealWings

The explanation for them being the same person is because the Daedric Prince of Order scared all the other Daedric Princes, so they cursed him with madness. Once like every century, he can escape his prison and destroys the Shivering Isles (Sheogorath's home) in an attempt to reclaim his life. He never succeeds, until one day The Hero of Kavatch succeeds the Daedric Prince of Madness, shunting him from the seat and back into the seat of Order, breaking the curse. He's pretty meticulous.