Jotnotes

Do you have a Changeling? Post 'em here!

You! Yes, you! 

Do you have a changeling, shapeshifter or some other synonym for beings that change form often, typically in order to fit into society?

Then I want you to put their character sheet, and your own background/speculative fiction/lore about them in this page.

The goal is to generate a conversation about changelings, involving the people they matter to the most---you, the people who already have changeling characters.

What kind of conversation am I looking for? Well, there's plenty to be discussed. 

Firstly, I want to explain: when this discussion is finished, I'll be adding a tentative post to the Unofficial Valucre Character Race List. I want to add as much history to the Changeling entry as I can, and offer as much introspection about them as possible. This will also, hopefully, give the Changelings a sense of shared identity, a place to call home, and whatever else we can come up with.

So, what I need from you is to post your character sheets for your changelings, and @ anyone else that has a changeling that you are aware of.

Share as much about your changeling as you like, and offer any personal lore and canon that you'd like considered. We can discuss what fits into the narrative of Valucre, and work together to shape the Changeling identity.

Well, this is a tricky question, seriously. DAICHONS are Changelings; so are the Invectium Race, along with Bloodfarmers. The changelings are tricky. Ill post profiles but.......

Benny

Here's mine! 😄 I haven't really written for her further than one thread, but I consider her lore to be in line with that of the Fae Changeling 😊

and I believe @Wade's Damian Dark is a changeling too? 😆

Edited by vielle

We'd love to hear from @Wade too, then!

Describing changelings as Fae comes with its own perks, I think. It puts them in a position where you can assume they already exist in the population, where other fae are known to gather. 

It's as good a starting point as any. But how does that impact how the world at large sees changelings? Fae are accepted in most areas of the world, I should think, but changelings have a certain stigma attached to them.

1 minute ago, Jotnotes said:

We'd love to hear from @Wade too, then!

Describing changelings as Fae comes with its own perks, I think. It puts them in a position where you can assume they already exist in the population, where other fae are known to gather. 

It's as good a starting point as any. But how does that impact how the world at large sees changelings? Fae are accepted in most areas of the world, I should think, but changelings have a certain stigma attached to them.

Hmmmh, I suppose in regards to fae changelings, they're seen with suspicion and malice, especially because of their replacing of human children stolen away by the faeries and thus receiving the human parents' due love and attention when they would not otherwise receive it 👀 my headcanon for Birdy is that she's been thrown out of her family's home due to this very view in regards to her being a changeling

In general, I'm guessing changelings are viewed with various degrees of suspicion tied to their trait of fickle forms; how can you trust someone who can deceive with their very appearance and all that jazz 👀

13 minutes ago, vielle said:

In general, I'm guessing changelings are viewed with various degrees of suspicion tied to their trait of fickle forms; how can you trust someone who can deceive with their very appearance and all that jazz

I think that's meant to be the primary story loop for changeling characters. How does the world treat you, based on your identity, and how has that influenced your identity?

Just now, Jotnotes said:

I think that's meant to be the primary story loop for changeling characters. How does the world treat you, based on your identity, and how has that influenced your identity?

Definitely! In the case of Birdy, she's fully embraced that sort of view about changelings (i-am-what-they-say-i-am) and has gone to be a full-on mischief-making huntress 😃

Are beings that are amorphous and change but aren't considered a humanoid at all considered changeling? I have a character I play regularly that can change shape into a variety of things but never considered him to be a 'changeling' since he is just a big mass of black goop....:think:

1 minute ago, Dolor Aeternum said:

Are beings that are amorphous and change but aren't considered a humanoid at all considered changeling? I have a character I play regularly that can change shape into a variety of things but never considered him to be a 'changeling' since he is just a big mass of black goop....:think:

think that a Changeling (capital C) would refer to a certain race that exclusively changes form in order to fit it with society/hide it's true nature. Given that shapeshifting is also quite prevalent, I'd argue that similar stigmas exist, that sort of blur the lines of who is who. 

That is, people will treat Changelings and shapeshifters the same, on the principle that they are untrustworthy at best, and dangerous at worst.

29 minutes ago, vielle said:

Definitely! In the case of Birdy, she's fully embraced that sort of view about changelings (i-am-what-they-say-i-am) and has gone to be a full-on mischief-making huntress 😃

That's actually a fantastic example of cultivated identity. A Changeling's sense of self might be shaped or cultivated by the way the world treats it. In Birdy's case, being seen as a sneaky, untrustworthy trickster and being treated as such sort of guides one into behaving like that. In a lot of cases where Changelings end up replacing human children, that same rejection that might occur is also a pretty big factor in shaping who they turn out to be. That's definitely worth exploring as well.

The above is my character who is basically two entities in one. A few people are still curious as to the relationship between the two but the basics are that an ancient entity was cast down and left for dead by some higher powers along with what was considered a 'tool' (black goop called Obtenebra), they created a symbiotic relationship to help each other survive and now roam around trying to learn how to 'live'. Agony emulates what he has observed from other beings but has found he cannot conform to society's norms as he believes that through pain, power is augmented, and this power is what one needs to survive the inevitable cruelty of others.

27 minutes ago, Dolor Aeternum said:

The above is my character who is basically two entities in one. A few people are still curious as to the relationship between the two but the basics are that an ancient entity was cast down and left for dead by some higher powers along with what was considered a 'tool' (black goop called Obtenebra), they created a symbiotic relationship to help each other survive and now roam around trying to learn how to 'live'. Agony emulates what he has observed from other beings but has found he cannot conform to society's norms as he believes that through pain, power is augmented, and this power is what one needs to survive the inevitable cruelty of others.

That's a solid take. I find it interesting that the idea of being an alienated member of society is so prevalent wherever Changelings and shape shifters are involved.

I did think about whether the Twistlings should be here. They are categorized as creatures in the environment rather than playable characters though; more animal than human. But changelings they are: They can change their bone structure and skin to mimic anyone, even their behaviour. Their aim is to kill people though XD

Second entry below.

19 minutes ago, jaistlyn said:

I did think about whether the Twistlings should be here. They are categorized as creatures in the environment rather than playable characters though; more animal than human. But changelings they are: They can change their bone structure and skin to mimic anyone, even their behaviour. Their aim is to kill people though XD

Second entry below.

That's also a valid approach to Changelings, right now. As we're working to try and improve upon their identity and background, pretty much everything is on the table.

For all we know, Changelings could just be an innately hostile or parasitic being that kills and replaces humans with its own species

Well, yes, I have a changling of sorts; Ananias is not exactly a pile of goo, but in his natural form it's close enough that he'd consider "pile of goo" to be an ethnic slur. 

I consider him to be more of an aberration of evolution that accidentally gained sentience, but his backstory (like most of my characters' backstories) is intentionally vague, so as to better incorporate any awesome RP opportunities I come across. 

From the outside, he definitely seems like he's given up on getting acceptance and has decided to assuage his inner pain by cultivating an extreme superiority complex. But what's really going on is he really gets off on finding a powerful person or organization and taking them down a couple dozen pegs. He seems evil (or at least unpredictable) because he doesn't care about the actual moral or ethical status of said person/people; from chaotic evil bullies to lawful good self-righteous blowhards, the only key ingredient is someone he thinks has gotten too big for their britches. How big is "too big" really just depends on how bored he is at the moment, or how much he's been annoyed (or sometimes whether or not he feels like he's being told what to do by someone without the ability to enforce their authority). Definitely my personal archetype for what "chaotic neutral" should be: kicking authority figures in the nuts whenever he can, without regard to whether they're good or evil. 

That said, he's not typically about uplifting the downtrodden (unless it pisses someone off). He might tear open a slaver's den only to claim the slaves as his property until it gets to be too much trouble, then sell them himself. He's indifferent to the suffering of the masses, for the most part. But he might have saved a puppy once, for no reason. It's not out of the question.  Because who doesn't like puppies? Even a haughty, arrogant pile of goo loves puppies.