Thotification

The Holly Land beckons (Sheathe Land Expansion 3)

VINTOVKA "VINNY" ROZOVYY

It was one of the typical mornings for Secretary Vinny and as usual, she was well on her way to wake up the slumbering monster of a woman. Her steps were light and cautious, the creaking floor of this rickety wooden hut had been one of the main sources of noise within this household during the wee hours of the morning. The other is the supposedly snoring woman on the other side of the door where Vinny's feet had led her.

On her hands was the snoring woman's everyday cup of morning coffee, atop an aging wooden tray. Besides the coffee was an unopened envelope, possibly a letter, one left by that highly questionable guest her liege had been having every once in a while. Whatever was inside that message, it was none of Secretary Vinny's concern. It would be a breach of confidence if she were to pry at her liege's personal affairs.

I'm still curious though but it's not my place to ask.

Shrugging off her misplaced curiosity, the secretary knocked on the door twice before opening it and inviting herself inside. Upon entering her eyes quickly fitted on the general state of the woman's sleeping quarters. For a brash and supposedly civilized woman, her liege does have this peculiar habit of keeping her room neat and tidy. It still feels more of a prison than a girl's room with a severe lack of feminine quality and the extreme bareness of such a room only made Vinny frown a bit more. 

Well, I could perhaps entice her to become more ladylike later.

For now, Vinny had work to do. Softly approaching the snoring giant, Secretary Vintovka spoke in a hushed whisper, "Good morning, Lady Sheathe. Your people are waiting."

VINTOVKA "VINNY" ROZOVYY

She did not expect that Lady Sheathe would react that way. She had given her the morning coffee as usual but upon seeing that letter, somehow the Lady's mood has changed. Was it about the mysterious guest? 

I have never seen the Lady act like this. She was always calm and composed.

But not today. Whatever was in that letter, Vinny was now determined more than ever, to read it. How can such a simple message leave the woman she had always look up to into this broken wreck.

My Lady?

Vinny tried to reach out for her Lady but her outstretched hand does not seem to have the will to grab onto those shivering shoulders. All Vinny could do was stare dejectedly at the quivering back of the noblewoman that had given her purpose in her life.

What happened to you Lady Sheathe?"

THE LADY SHEATHE

Holly my dear. I might not have much time left in Terrenus.
The Peacekeeper Michael Commager has been on my tail ever since that Aspen incident.
I am forced to leave everything I have in the Vel empire, in your hands.
Love lots, Linda Linda.

Holly crumpled the stupid note in her hand. Once more, Middy was back to her stupid tricks. Will that damned woman ever learn? Holly might be frustrated but she had always treated that woman like a foster parent. Middy had taught her everything she knew about survival. No, even back then. Back when Middy was still a young man. She had saved Holly from that dreadful.

Holly could not face her subordinate. Not in this state. She had always distanced herself from her people, putting on a firm facade. If anyone were to see her now, what would they think? A leader cannot appear weak before her subordinates.

She should have dismissed Vinny but she was in no state to do so. All she could do was hold back the tears, while her shoulders shivered from her gasps. It was hard for her to bear that her hero would have to bear the sins of the cartel once again.

I wish all this will end. Why can't the government just leave us alone? I miss the old you, Middy.

NARRATIVE INTERLUDE

It was quite a tragic and sad moment when these two women sat there mulling and pondering about two entirely different things. One, on hand, there was the assistant. The secretary was just standing there, worry filling every inch of her wily figure. She was clearly concerned. Try as she might, there was always more to the mystery surrounding the Lady Sheathe. Even if she was with the Lady every second of the Lady's time, she still cannot fathom the secrets and tragedies Lady Sheathe's past life has experienced. She was at a loss on what to do. 

On the second hand, here was the Lady Sheathe herself. A woman haunted by her past and torn between her duty to her people and the atrocities she had once committed. She was never the paragon of virtue that these common folk looked up to. In her thoughts and in her heart, she was always the terrified village girl that a stalwart person saved that night. That hero had taken her in and had given her new purpose and a family that accepted her no matter what she once was. Now that hero of hers has taken the burden too heavy for one person, a burden that sent the strongest individuals of the Terran government hot in the hero's heels. Lady Sheathe wept because she knew that she will not see her hero ever again.

What was even tragic was that she had only this moment of grieve. Once these few peaceful moments are over, she will have to face her people once more and become the leader they needed and deserved. Sentiments and nostalgia are the privileges of the simple folk but not of the Lady. The shackles of duty and responsibility have bound both her body and soul to serving this land of hers regardless of her personal circumstances.

Such a tragedy.

Edited by Thotification

The Lady Sheathe 

It is long past the time for wallowing, this the Lady knew. While worry had comforted her even for a bit, she knew it was pointless to even confide in that woman. No one can ever know the truth between the Lady and her criminal hero.

What was it then, that troubled Holly worse? An old friend leaving or the fact that her past might soon be exposed not only to her good people but to the whole public of Ursa Madeum? Will she still be respected then? Will her people even try to defend her? Or will the sons and the empress pay her a visit which would result to having her dragged out of her rickety old rack and into the streets of Andelusia, shackled and chained, on a one way trip to the gallows. If that happens she knew that the game has ended. Ended with her untimely demise.

Still, she was strong, unfazed even. Such trivi al matters were nothing more than minor nuisances against the heavy burden of reponsibility. Shoulders braced, back ramrod straight, hand clasps behind her, the Lady Sheathe made her way to her own people. Her very own farmers who has placed all their hopes and dreams on her tiny shoulders. The same shivering and trembling weak shoulders of this day's morn.

Edited by Thotification

The Lady Sheathe

Alone or not, the Lady Sheathe will deliver. She had a gathering to address, a noble house to lead. There is no longer time to wallow in one's sorrows. All she can do now is keep moving forward. 

And move forward she did.

Outside her shack were the gathered mob of her farmers and farmhands. There were not many of them to begin with but she had high hopes for each of them. She had a plan, a vision. This simple family of hers, the noble house built up of simple folk, she would uplift them. She will remake them and prove to the whole kingdom that there is more to people than just their title or nobility.

Her eyes shifted from one tanned face to another, hardened and weathered faces brought by toiling from dusk till dawn. Yes, these are the faces that sustains the kingdom. These sre the people that will keep the kingdom alive.