supernal

How do you feel about infiltrating governments?

35 minutes ago, supernal said:

It started with a renegade FIST official who had to operate out of the sewers so you may actually even be wearing his old tin foil hat 

Please, I don't wear tin foil hats...

I reuse them to insulate my house so the government can't spy on me with their x-ray satellites, naturally.

I have a semi-pertinent question.

Can these alien body snatchers accidentally infiltrate (and potentially animate) corpses?  I mean, would it be possible if the infiltration happened in the really rare circumstances where someone was juuuust about braindead but their body hadn't quite finished dying?

Is that a possibility?

...mind you, I get the feeling that the answer is either 'no', or 'yes, but the body finishes dying, and the infiltrator with it', but I'm hoping for a more interesting, and possibly sentient, zombie/ghoul-themed answer.

18 hours ago, Ghorroj said:

I have a semi-pertinent question.

Can these alien body snatchers accidentally infiltrate (and potentially animate) corpses?  I mean, would it be possible if the infiltration happened in the really rare circumstances where someone was juuuust about braindead but their body hadn't quite finished dying?

Is that a possibility?

...mind you, I get the feeling that the answer is either 'no', or 'yes, but the body finishes dying, and the infiltrator with it', but I'm hoping for a more interesting, and possibly sentient, zombie/ghoul-themed answer.

I thought about this some

The primary mechanism by which the bodies are hijacked are through overriding a functional nervous system. If they come in when the target is brain dead but the body hasn't begun decay they could technically take the place of the brain/central hub, rather than hijacking the existing one

I would see this as technically possible, but rare, and would limit their ability to quickly edit / manipulate the host since they're taking on more of the managerial overhead of keeping their host body alive

Thoughts? 

Oh, I did have a serious question on this. So, the information from the Symposium was made publicly known and available, correct? Or was the meeting kept classified? I'm just wondering if anyone actually does know about the body-snatchers or not, or if it's just something only a few government/church officials in Terrenus know about.

9 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Oh, I did have a serious question on this. So, the information from the Symposium was made publicly known and available, correct? Or was the meeting kept classified? I'm just wondering if anyone actually does know about the body-snatchers or not, or if it's just something only a few government/church officials in Terrenus know about.

All of this: https://www.valucre.com/topic/41480-breaking-news-from-the-symposium/

Is publicly available, "treat as if it's in a newspaper", type of information 

Edited by supernal

17 minutes ago, supernal said:

I thought about this some

The primary mechanism by which the bodies are hijacked are through overriding a functional nervous system. If they come in when the target is brain dead but the body hasn't begun decay they could technically take the place of the brain/central hub, rather than hijacking the existing one

I would see this as technically possible, but rare, and would limit their ability to quickly edit / manipulate the host since they're taking on more of the managerial overhead of keeping their host body alive

Thoughts? 

Ooo.  The mechanism makes it a bit more complicated.  Rules out sentient undead, too.

I'd suggest that it would be more likely to affect someone who'd just had a serious brain injury (lots of attention, potentially life-threatening circumstances), someone who'd just hit the neural-collapse part of malnutrition (life-threatening circumstances, better chance of unnoticed infiltration, weakened body), or someone really, really old (potentially well-placed politically, but with a body on the verge of collapse).

In other words, the few advantages would be massively outweighed by the disadvantages/potential physical weaknesses of their host bodies.  At first, at any rate.

Another question occurs: Is it possible to detect the infiltrators via a spell or some kind of examination?  Would these really rare takeovers be hidden from such means of detection, since they'd technically be their host?

Ah.  Hm.  No spoilers, though, please.  I bring this up as another angle of thought.

Edited by Ghorroj

1 hour ago, Ghorroj said:

Ooo.  The mechanism makes it a bit more complicated.  Rules out sentient undead, too.

I'd suggest that it would be more likely to affect someone who'd just had a serious brain injury (lots of attention, potentially life-threatening circumstances), someone who'd just hit the neural-collapse part of malnutrition (life-threatening circumstances, better chance of unnoticed infiltration, weakened body), or someone really, really old (potentially well-placed politically, but with a body on the verge of collapse).

In other words, the few advantages would be massively outweighed by the disadvantages/potential physical weaknesses of their host bodies.  At first, at any rate.

Another question occurs: Is it possible to detect the infiltrators via a spell or some kind of examination?  Would these really rare takeovers be hidden from such means of detection, since they'd technically be their host?

Ah.  Hm.  No spoilers, though, please.  I bring this up as another angle of thought.

It does indeed! So you wouldn't be able to target beings with too-aberrant or too-divergent biologies, such as an ooze or an elemental. That's by design, to limit the kind of hosts which can be hijacked. That said most populations have large humanoid demographics so there's plenty, in terms of role, which remains available to players even if the more out-there biologies aren't 

Those are all pretty good target types

I don't know how to answer your last question there without giving you spoilers so . . . I just won't answer? 

I will say that the parasites are always in struggle, varying in intensity host to host and through time I'm sure, with that host for dominant control. This isn't usually how I see it in media which deal with these things (except animorphs) but I think it makes for more interesting writing, and consequently more interesting reading, in our particular medium so that's why I chose it that way. I know I have fun with it but feel free to diverge; point being that's one benefit that hijacking someone brain-dead or near-death would have over hijacking a healthier host 

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

Excellent! Just wanted to make sure!

And much appreciated on that note. Hope it was to your . . . liking

Edited by supernal

22 minutes ago, supernal said:

And much appreciated on that note. Hope it was to your . . . liking

But I already have reacts to those posts! Are you telling me to re-react to those posts!? What do you think I am? A re-reactionary!?

Okay fine.

Anyone currently following this interested in "borrowing" (playing an enrele who'll be taking control of) one of my characters? She's a relatively high-ranking government official in Taen, sorta in a relationship with the governor of Taen's capital city.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, Csl said:

Anyone currently following this interested in "borrowing" (playing an enrele who'll be taking control of) one of my characters? She's a relatively high-ranking government official in Taen, sorta in a relationship with the governor of Taen's capital city.

/raises hand 

I’m pretty interested. Discussion time? 

I did talk to CSL and do have a plan outlined but though the spirit is willing ... 

Until then though bump for anyone interested in various levels of nefarious activity. I’ve done a level one infiltration of Norkotia and am in the midst of the same now for Taen. I could use someone to take Norkotia to level 2 or to do a level 1 on a new location I already have in mind 

@Ghorroj just in case you come around again still interested!