So I started a thread a while ago about creating summoned companions using charms, done with my charm making character Chinafel. I've currently got 1 active thread and would like to start a second, but with a difference. The current thread is aimed at creating a golem, so I'd like to do a thread about creating a living companion. E.G. a wolf, wyvern, pixie, etc. Just looking to get feedback on how my character works and ways to improve him.

The concept is pretty simple. My character can create summoning charms using materials and it follows common fantasy rules, the rarer and more powerful the materials used the stronger summon. The materials used will of course affect the outcome of the companion E.G. A dragon scale + fae wings + electric essence = Electric Fae Dragon. This thread will be based around what you want out of your companion, so you'll pick everything that goes into it and how the journey goes. It can be a simple trip to the market or a grand adventure!

Thanks for reading!

I myself always strive to embolden all my writing and any interesting avenues the more outlandish characters of mine take on, and conjuration/summoning has been a most recent endeavor of mine; From what I read I love the interesting concepts of using the unique properties of any material and binding into a being that possesses those properties. It gives me A Monster Gashapon vibe that I am absolutely into! I would love to help where I can! I can't help but drum up all sorts of combinations with this system.

Now lets say

Chimera eye-Basilisk Scales-Void essence

Would that be a feasibly interesting concoction or would it need a more streamlined formula? There is something phonetically pleasing about Monster part+Monster Part+ Essence

@Djinn&Juice  Now that is a hard call for two reasons. A-Chimera eye, from which head? B-Would the head make a difference since it comes from the same beast. From what I perceive, you'd end up with a three headed lindwurm style creature. Serpent in nature due to the scale, three headed due to the eye and the void essence giving it a dark nature. Maybe the eye, depending on which head you took it from, determining the shape of the heads. But it's a hard call. 

c261ef2f7630be524084ff147c5eb050.jpg

@Djinn&Juice As for the streamlining of material, I go by the rule of three. 1 part to provide provide an aspect for physical form, 1 part to provide a nature trait and 1 part to provide energy. Plus whatever else you want to provide to bend the shape of beast to your fitting. I consider Chinafels summoning to not necessarily create a beast, but rather summon a spirit to take host of a man-made shell. Hence why the summoners traits may also have an effect on the summoned creature.

I was throwing fantasy spaghetti at the wall and seeing what you make of it, and a five headed serpent with void breath is amazing energy, but I imagine narrative we would want to make it a more difficult process depending on the potential power of the monster created?  I love that formula and would gladly implement it into the design! A host to match the component traits can really open up a whole canvas for new races and species altogether! I have the perfect candidate to receive a companion, and I have been eager to bring him to the site for awhile anyways. My boy genius needs A guardian to keep him safe on his dangerous expeditions! I am excited to work some magic!

@Djinn&Juice Naturally this is wet paint on canvas, and my characters power needs fleshing out. Potentially with a creature of such power an item would be needed to tame/control the beast, extra items to allow for the void breath, etc. E.G. Basalisk Scale will provide the physical form + Chimera eye to provide multiple heads and it's prideful nature + void essence will give a dark aspect. These will provide the base creature. Add in an enchanted vakar metal collar so it can be tamed and a dragons gland so it can use breath attacks.  But again, this is your journey. So it's down to you too decide, I'm just the guy that mixes it all together. 

69358ff1585add947c7882f6283ac75b.jpg

I would figure maybe using the dungeons and dragons system of size I.E (Small,medium,large,giant etc) and use that for the measure of difficulty to create the creation. We can put that in action by making anyone seeking to acquire one of these beasts complete a hunt maybe? A thread that essentially 'canonizes' their character gathering the required ingredients and such! I love the concept of adding bonus materials that can tweak the creation in fun and unique ways! My boy would need something that he can take into towns and not arouse any unwanted gazes so I am curious if it is just beasts? Or can it create humanoids and the like aswell? 

Were I doing this, I'd limit the size to medium at maximum, with most summons being small.  The reason being, you don't want to give characters a juggernaut companion that can trash a city, while they sit back on a sun lounger fanning themselves in the background.  You certainly do want to give them something that can complement their skills, or be a useful ally, while not affecting plot overmuch.

Just my two-cents on the subject.

I won't be limiting the size for one reason and that's just because I don't think it really think it dictates power, but I certainly won't be giving people juggernauts. Once the creation is complete I will be writing up a small descriptive thread labeling it's strengths, weaknesses, personality, ingredients, etc. You could have a large floating mantaray that you could ride around the floating islands of Renovatio, but despite being so big it would have obvious weakness so it's not just a floating fortress. Thin wing membrane, it's own gentle nature, poor eyesight, etc. If people can have their own airships, I don't see why they couldn't have a giant mount (As long as it's not OP of course.)

However, you have to work for these things which is why I like the system. You'd have to hunt for an item to make it that size, which is no easy feat and has to be earned. Because if you cheap out and buy a common item to try and increase it's size, you'll end up with a large companion with a weak structure.

@Djinn&Juice    In D&D frosts giant are known to tame white dragons by beating them over and over again, a similar process could be used for a more powerful summon that doesn't want to be tamed. Or maybe subjugation magic/items? As for arousing suspicion, I was going to say maybe a size altering item, but I feel that's to powerful. And yes, humanoid summons are possible. Chinafel has a humanoid summon -Shaka-. His description isn't detailed or long, but that's just because he's my own personal clown to liven up threads. 

Edited by Rabbit

That about ties up all the immediate questioning I had! I am eager to see how this all goes in roleplay so if you would just start where Chinafel establishes her work and the like I would absolutely love to get this ball rolling! I gotta say I love the concept of size not dictating the power, essentially creating the golem version of a baymax or what have you. It adds to the creativity this process can give those seeking a companion, and leveraging their imagination with A willingness to commit to a difficult laundry list of materials! 

My body is ready