Praetorian

Jobs, Careers, and Adulting

One of my biggest complaints I had about my highschool experience is that there were really never any resources available to discuss what opportunities are out there in the world. At a glance that might sound weird, but how many occupations can you list off? (I promise you the number is insignificant)

There are all kinds of career options out there that people either don't know anything about, know very little about, or have no idea how to get into them. So what I'd like to do is leverage the Valucre community to help take on this problem.

For those of you that have employment and feel comfortable talking about it here is what I would like for this thread:

Job Title:

Description: 

Experience/Certs/Degrees for entry level:

Best method for members to contact you with questions.

1. Account Executive - Temporary Legal Staffing Professional 

2. User Experience (UX)/User Interface (UI) Designer

3. United States Marine Corps (2847) Ground Electronics Telecommunications and Information Technology Systems Maintainer 

4. Marine Inspector

5. DevOps Engineer

6. Mental Health Therapist 2 / Adjunct Instructor

I'll go first because this topic is near and dear to my heart. I will be happy to review resumes and give workshops on resume building, interview troubleshooting, and preparation. 

Job Title:

Account Executive - Temporary Legal Staffing Professional 

Description: 

The title is basically a lot of words that don't  mean much to someone outside of the industry or even in the marketplace looking for work. In the simplest terms, I work for a company that finds people jobs. Specifically, I find attorneys and paralegals job that are temporary, or contract as we say. I review resumes and recruit new talent to staff for specific roles or to take to market. There are a lot of moving parts to my role and it is heavily metrics based. 

Bachelor's degree, some sales experience, or legal experience. 

Best method for members to contact you with questions:

I am frequently on discord and checking discord. My tag is on my profile. ^__^

Edited by Akako Akari
Holy shit, I forgot how to English!

Me! Will be willing to share some tips or just connect with anyone in the tech industry.

Job Title: User Experience (UX)/User Interface (UI) Designer

Description:

End goal is to create user interfaces for apps and websites that are both easy to use and pleasant to look at. Processes include information flow, wireframing, prototyping, user testing, and styling an interface (with illustrations, animations, selecting colours, creating icons etc). As I’m in a startup company, I’m also the copywriter, and I build some simple webpages, I do some marketing, answer emails...... etc lol.

You can also ask me about what it’s like working in a startup, vs a large organization (I used to work in the public sector before this). I’m also working on animation for an indie game on the side, if anyone’s interested to know about that.

Besides obvious UX/UI courses, people of many different backgrounds can go into this field. Programming, Psychology, Graphic Design... I’m of Infocommunications Engineering background myself. If you already have an education and are looking into entering the field, UX bootcamps are especially good to gain the basic skills without spending too much time. What’s more important than your cert is to have a portfolio that shows your thought processes and good design. Could be something from school, or could be you attempting to redesign an interface that you think can be improved. Be prepared to learn design software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch app, InVision etc. Good news is they can be self-learnt.. there are lots of resources online, bad news is it takes time to get efficient at them. But don’t give up, practice and you’ll get there!

Fun fact: I started using Illustrator and After Effects when @Off Topic pushed me to try them for fun for Val stuff. Specifically eMotion. Now I use it at work everyday lol. Val is the perfect sandbox for design projects ?

Best method for members to contact you with questions.

Probably PM me on Val first and we can find the best way to connect! 

Edited by jaistlyn

I've been unfortunately unemployed despite having a college certificate for over two years now, but I'll share details about my previous job.

Job Title:

United States Marine

Description: 

"Every Marine is a Rifleman" is an actual true statement, but a misleading one. Marines are all trained as Rifleman and can perform those duties at a basic level, but there are hundreds of different occupations within the Marine corps. I myself was a 2847, Telephone Systems and Personal Computer Repairman. A fancy way to say I set up and fixed PCs and a variety of telephone equipment. It was a secret security job that often involved handling equipment containing sensitive information.

Highschool diploma/GED, moderate level of physical fitness, above average mental/emotional fortitude, patience and ability to swallow your pride.

Discord, tag is on my profile.

Because of the nature of military occupations there are often multiple career paths stemming from a single career choice. For this reason, anyone interested in the Coast Guard in a general sense should just message me.

Job Title:

United States Coast Guard (USCG) Marine Inspector (MI)

Comparable Job Titles: Flag Surveyor, Class Surveyor, Marine Surveyor, Port State Control Examiner/Officer

Description: 

I'm going to use the term MI, however the description is applicable to all of the listed Comparable Job Titles. MI's go onboard commercial vessels inspect them for compliance with international and domestic laws and regulations.  This includes examining structural integrity, water tightness, stability, compliance with security regulation, compliance with labor regulations, compliance with navigation standards, compliance with fire safety, and compliance with life saving regulations. MI's can be government employees or individuals in the private sector.

Private sector hires: they usually hire licensed mariners with a lot of experience, or hire government marine inspectors that are tired of working for the government. Sometimes individuals with an engineering degree can bypass these experience requirements.

Government hires: It's about the same as the private sector.

USCG Specific: Most MIs are Commissioned Officers which means you need a college degree. What the degree is in is completely irrelevant. Enlisted members with enough experience can gain commission through special accession programs. Typically MI positions are very competitive, and prior performance and academic achievements are used to determine who might be best suited for the position. USCG MIs are a good way to get experience to get into the private sector, without having to spend half your life working on boats.

PM or Discord, I'm not picky.

Job Title: DevOps Engineer

Description: My job is to shorten the distance between when a programmer writes code to when it shows up in front of the customer. DevOps stands for Development and Operations, and I exist at the intersection of their concerns. Developers want to get things out fast, and Operations doesn't want anything to break. Their interests are not always aligned.

This whole manufacturing and logistics process requires a combination of technical and people skills to get it done; sometimes I write automation to simplify how things are done, while other times I must persuade people to let go of their stranglehold on information and rubber stamps for the betterment of us all. However, for someone in my role there's substantial freedom: it is bleeding edge stuff, and not many people know what the right answer is for the company. That's why they hired me to spearhead that discovery, after all!

- Bachelor's degree in something computer-related
- Show technical aptitude, either by being proficient in a programming language or having experience with certain industry tools. They may sometimes ask in job descriptions for specific baskets of skills and tooling, but many of them cannot afford to be that picky. They need someone with a willingness to learn, teach others, and to think about the big picture. That could be you!
- Expect to learn a lot. For each of these capabilities there are many tools, but some of them are more prevalent in certain environments. For example, if you're in the AWS Cloud instead of Microsoft's Azure, you will deal with Linux VMs way more, necessitating getting familiar with bash scripting and that specific ecosystem's quirks.
- Possible technologies:
    - Repositories
    - Host configuration management
    - Build automation
    - Automated testing
    - Automated deployments
    - Code analysis
    - Provisioning
    - Containerization

The good news is that much of this is open source so you can download and experiment yourself for free! There are also many useful sites for figuring things out; anyone who says you can't google the answers has not actually worked in this field and doesn't realize that everyone must google.

- Discord tag is in my profile! 

Edited by Corban

Job Title: Mental Health Therapist 2/ Adjunct Instructor

Description: My primary job is working on the floor with patients, facilitating activities and groups, following through with treatment care plans using behavioral therapies, crisis communication, and providing support. As a "2" I take the directive of a charge nurse and implement goals and desired outcomes, as well as acting as the go-to person on the floor, in addition to sometimes writing up the daily "functional" (schedule) and having a greater caseload as well as additional documentation responsibilities. 

Experience/Certs/Degrees for entry level: This will vary A LOT with where you are at where you apply. My facility used to require being a Certified Nursing Assistant with three years of experience or a 4-year degree, but we dropped our standards as our staffing needs swelled and the number of candidates we got shrunk. Now we only ask for 18 months experience, a CNA, or an associate's in psych. This gets you in the door as a temp (relief-pool) on a 17-month rotation. You can get on permanent into an opening by applying for lateral transfers. You are given a chance to lateral after an opening is rejected by all permanent staff, and in the order of your seniority among the temps. People with a ton of flexibility about the t and what program can often get on after six months, but choosier folks sometimes go right up to the limit. This gets you into the entry position which is a Mental Health Therapy Technician. We used to have a position between that one and mine (a "1") but that is now getting phased out. As the former 1's promote or leave the position is made into a tech. You can move upwards into a two position (which pays ~21.5% better) after acquiring five years experience in mental health in some capacity. 

As an adjunct instructor, they require that you have been with the hospital a year, have a solid reputation as a crisis communicator and a staff on the floor, and then come take their week-long class. After that, they have you intern with them until you prove you can manage a class. It came with a 5% bump in pay and I get opportunities to change up my work and get off the floor. It's also helping me qualify for Training and Development 2 positions, which have a preference for a 4-year degree in a related field (e.g., social sciences, psychology, education) and three years experience teaching, of which I have two degrees right now and about 8 years experience with doing training. 

Best Way to Contact Me: Here with a PM, or use Discord.