Fierach

Feast of Blades Tournament (Canon Restrictions Removed)

Trueblade Tournament Format  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Setting to the tournament bracket and seeds, but you guys have the option of:

• Single Elimination
    • Double Elimination

@Dauner Light

So I usually handle fights where the second person who posts makes the first 'action'. In a melee fight (as in no magic/special abilities), which doesn't necessarily but does usually disregard the presence of 'preps', the first action is typically the first attack.

However, if you don't want to attack first, I am quite content with doing that in my next post. As long as we get the ball rolling as soon as possible!

@Fierach

My thread has only just begun so this question is in general—

What is the time limit for someone to post, if there is one? Or is there not a time limit except when one “month” is over?

So like if I post an attack and my opponent doesn’t reply after three days then it’s an auto-hit, as a bare example of what I mean by ‘time limit’.

Or they don’t reply after a month...

Oct 16 for all Trueblade.

Wildblade hasn't started yet because 1. Attempting to resolve the lack of a vielle, waiting on feedback from a few people.

2. I dun see if any of the rest of you guys have made teams yet. (Btw, Aleksei has kindly volunteered to join. Can't take part in my own contest but dibs!)

Excellent.

Just wanted to be prepared for the possible. Unfortunate reality is that people bail from threads or the site altogether without any notice. I’m sure I’ve been guilty of that before. 

Hopefully everyone posts in a timely manner and as often as they might in a regular roleplay!

I must concede that I do not know where to draw the line between acceptable combat maneuvers and unacceptable combat maneuvers in this tournament.

I was under the impression that this tournament was meant to be fairly grounded, hence the absence of magic and the section in the OP that reads "not an incredibly technical fight [ . . . ] adequate description, sound maneuvers, and, most of all, common sense will help your case."  I've just read about a character double somersaulting to avoid attacks.  Prior to that, my only concern, thus far, was that the hilt of a two-handed sword might interfere with certain polearm techniques, particularly those associated with the pollaxe, and might be a mistake that experienced fighters would not commit.

Would you please provide examples of maneuvers that are really close to the line dividing acceptable maneuvers from unacceptable maneuvers because I'm not just on the wrong page here; I'm reading a different book.

6 minutes ago, The Alexandrian said:

I must concede that I do not know where to draw the line between acceptable combat maneuvers and unacceptable combat maneuvers in this tournament.

I was under the impression that this tournament was meant to be fairly grounded, hence the absence of magic and the section in the OP that reads "not an incredibly technical fight [ . . . ] adequate description, sound maneuvers, and, most of all, common sense will help your case."  I've just read about a character double somersaulting to avoid attacks.  Prior to that, my only concern, thus far, was that the hilt of a two-handed sword might interfere with certain polearm techniques, particularly those associated with the pollaxe, and might be a mistake that experienced fighters would not commit.

Would you please provide examples of maneuvers that are really close to the line dividing acceptable maneuvers from unacceptable maneuvers because I'm not just on the wrong page here; I'm reading a different book.

We’ve chatted already and I know that your post is geared for Fierach but here are my two cents since my fight is being referenced in part—

An incredibly technical fight would likely require incredibly technical detailing of the two-handed sword’s entire dimensions, especially its hilt, where precisely it is sheathed, the angle of the hilt’s protrusion, how it is moving when the body is moving, where the pole-weapon (we’ll merge polearm and pollaxe here) is exactly when it is moving and especially in regards to its proximity with the two-handed sword—regarding interfering techniques.

I don’t think that this should include a person’s preference to factor in distance covered, hand placement, technical orientation of a weapon as it swings left to right, etc. Those are technical details but also fairly basic that some of us rely on in our “adequate description”. But it can get extreme if allowed.

Somersaulting, meanwhile, is not something that I feel is all that natural but I suppose that it’s achievable. I didn’t personally question said maneuver in my fight because, as much as I am trying to win, I’m also experimenting with the halberd as I’ve never used it before. I was happier to try to knock my opponent out of the air while he was somersaulting. It didn’t work but I’m trying a new tactic now.

6 hours ago, The Alexandrian said:

I'm unable to do that. 

While it may be a little eyebrow raising to see somebody doing double sommersaults, the character in question has forgone any armor and seems capable of it, putting it in the realm of the possible, if not probable. It is being allowed because his opponent has not raised any issue with it either. These allowances are being made in general because quite a few participants are not as grounded as others, and it shall be a good learning experience. 

If you are to go up against anybody and take umbrage at any sort of maneuvers undertaken, you are very welcome to: 1. First discuss it with your opponent, 2. If unable to come to an agreement, ask me to render an opinion, 3. If still unable to come to an agreement, ask me to render a judgement. In that order.

@jaistlyn  Not sure if it would change anything, but Caeceila was attacking Volentia with a thrust of the butt spike of her poleaxe, which was in position when she slid her left foot backward and gripped the haft with both hands, meaning that the head of the poleaxe was still situated behind her left shoulder.  To verify, Volentia's sequence of actions is 1) duck, 2/3) block and bash, and 4) cut in horizontally beneath the shield but above water level, implying that the hand gripping the shield is somewhere above her head and there was significant force behind her bash.

Also, I think these are pretty neat references for this tournament...

Spoiler

Purely my opinion but might it be more appropriate to confine duel discussions to a PM? Will keep from potentially clogging the OOC thread and keep private any dispute between the two contestants. 

And that image of the swords is a handy one, but peeps should keep in mind that not all of those sword pics are necessarily absolute. A cutlass’ blade can look like just a shorter version of a sabre’s without being a wider blade. It’s amazing the kind of variety. Gets more confounding when it comes to polearms.