Fierach

Feast of Blades Tournament (Canon Restrictions Removed)

Trueblade Tournament Format  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Setting to the tournament bracket and seeds, but you guys have the option of:

• Single Elimination
    • Double Elimination

@jaistlyn I actually missed your reply till Fierach quoted you above.

I mentioned it further up but we’re never going to fight as realistically as we would fight IRL. This is a text-based platform and, as Fierach said, accounting for lengths and widths and heights just isn’t fun.

There are some basic things to adhere to and that’s where your longer sword vs shorter sword comes in but, honestly, I reckon it’s next to impossible to account for inches covered and elbow angle and times blinked. It helps to state the blade length of my sword vs my opponent’s sword’s blade length but the end result is simply “my blade is longer than your blade” and that fact factors into real time combat more than what the actual measurements are.

It is quite a thing to account for when it comes to your own character and basically not achievable for you to do the same for your opponent, especially if they don’t even state angles and inches and what their opponent had for dinner that might in turn make them a little drowsy.

I try to find a balance. In my fight, I’m wielding a longer weapon than my opponent. So, when we started out, I did specify how far I was when I attacked, because I had a precise maneuver in mind that would keep me far enough away from being attacked by my opponent unless he came closer to me. It was an advantage that I wanted to convey as accurately as I could because I wanted to maintain that advantage of distance.

Afterward, though, as the fight develops, it’s too much to keep track of exactly how many feet we both covered from Point A to Point B. My particulars get less matter-of-fact, because eventually it’s the technique that matters, the movements themselves, and not how many inches you moved. There’s a safe circle of assumption that when I say my character is attacking your character then my character is in range. Maybe I want to maintain a distance so I state how far and how achieved, because I might be able to land another hit before my opponent closes in, but that’s more CYA than calculator.

And even though something like a two-handed sword’s hilt matters in real life regarding whether it gets in your way sheathed at your hip, it’s not like real life fighters are keeping track of it on a notepad. It just happens. The inches of their blades come into play when they move but their wielders aren’t exactly thinking of those inches when the blades are swinging.

Just to add onto what Shize is saying here:

As someone who has been an active practitioner of HEMA in my real life, I tend or incorporate what I have learned from those 18~ish years of experience into my RP fights, and I find there are two good ways to do that.

The first is to use real life concepts.  When you're actually fighting in person you're not a measuring tape.  You don't know the difference between ten feet and nine feet, so you just have to estimate.  It's more about feeling the distance out and going off of your experience to know where your measure is.  So this translates into rather vague terms in RP.

"I take a half-stride forward and deliver a blow intending to strike at the most distal point of percussion"

Of course without knowing the terminology that simple sentence turns into two paragraphs, but it's a bit easier to digest.

The other method is to actually use precice measurements.  This is really quite boring to read and write though, and it feels robotic.

"I am six feet tall and my strike is four feet.  I take a two foot half stride forward.  Bending at my waist gives me an extra foot, and my arms are roughly two feet long.  I strike with a sword that has a three foot blade, but I have to aim six inches from the tip and so my blow reaches seven and a half feet from my starting position, but my head and arms are only three to five feet away from my opponent."

Personally I prefer writing the former.

Just my 2¢

1 hour ago, Spooky Mittens said:

Just to add onto what Shize is saying here:

As someone who has been an active practitioner of HEMA in my real life, I tend or incorporate what I have learned from those 18~ish years of experience into my RP fights, and I find there are two good ways to do that.

The first is to use real life concepts.  When you're actually fighting in person you're not a measuring tape.  You don't know the difference between ten feet and nine feet, so you just have to estimate.  It's more about feeling the distance out and going off of your experience to know where your measure is.  So this translates into rather vague terms in RP.

"I take a half-stride forward and deliver a blow intending to strike at the most distal point of percussion"

Of course without knowing the terminology that simple sentence turns into two paragraphs, but it's a bit easier to digest.

The other method is to actually use precice measurements.  This is really quite boring to read and write though, and it feels robotic.

"I am six feet tall and my strike is four feet.  I take a two foot half stride forward.  Bending at my waist gives me an extra foot, and my arms are roughly two feet long.  I strike with a sword that has a three foot blade, but I have to aim six inches from the tip and so my blow reaches seven and a half feet from my starting position, but my head and arms are only three to five feet away from my opponent."

Personally I prefer writing the former.

Just my 2¢

I also prefer the former but I've incorporated the latter where it felt appropriate, if only to provide a point of reference for either opponent or as part of a purpose.

The halberd was six feet in overall length. The axhead was about a foot long. The top spike was almost two feet. From where Vadrian held the polearm with his right hand, there was about four feet of free length above it. A detail that was key for what he was about to do.

Pacing toward Dauner’s front until he reached about eight feet from his foe, Vadrian sprang into motion. His right leg carried forward, right foot stepping about three feet in front of his left, a position that would angle his right side closer toward Dauner’s front. This would also bend Vadrian’s right knee.

Concurrently, he swung his halberd in both hands horizontally from his right to left. With his right arm extended, the arm’s reach of two feet would combine with the reach of his halberd so that it would strike Dauner even from the rough distance of ten feet between both combatants.

The above is my first combat post in my tournament thread. Stating the measurements (roughly so, in feet) of my weapon was a one-time thing. If either of us ever need to factor in how long the top spike is, for instance, then there it is.

And I generally find that getting an accurate visual of the beginning of the fight matters more than what happens next. You kind of build the scene with each other as you fight on, but in this case I wanted to maintain maximum distance with my longer reach, making it as clear as I could to my opponent that he had the disadvantage when it came to range. If he didn't rush to meet me when I attacked then potentially I could maintain my advantage over two posts. It was a rather specific maneuver that could also have trapped my opponent with that top spike even as the axe swung.

Not necessarily fun to read, no, but PVP writing generally isn't as interesting to read as collaborative storytelling, where "swung his halberd in both hands horizontally from his right to left" matters less than "swung his halberd".

Anyway, afterward instead of stating feet (and struggling to do so as the fight goes on and movements change positions) I just continued with "attacking range" if saying it at all. That's the 'safe assumption' window. We can safely assume that the opponents are within range when they swing their weapons. Generally, anyway. If I swing my halberd and my opponent swings his dagger then obviously he needs to be closer to me than I need to be to him.

Well, the raw numbers are there but they're a bit out of order perhaps?  You mention starting from a position only 8 feet away.  Then you take a three foot step.  That puts your body only five feet from Dauner, so one has to wonder exactly what kind of reach advantage this is?  Dauner can strike you from that range just as easily, so this first play should have been a double KO.

Tangential to this, as I understand it you're fairly new to Halberd plays?

1 hour ago, Spooky Mittens said:

Well, the raw numbers are there but they're a bit out of order perhaps?  You mention starting from a position only 8 feet away.  Then you take a three foot step.  That puts your body only five feet from Dauner, so one has to wonder exactly what kind of reach advantage this is?  Dauner can strike you from that range just as easily, so this first play should have been a double KO.

Tangential to this, as I understand it you're fairly new to Halberd plays?

Yes definitely new to halberds. I rarely fight and when I do it's never with polearms.

However I understand the length of the weapon in relation to the grip. It's six feet long but I'm not holding it at the base like a baseball bat, at least not in the above scenario. The halberd was gripped so that only the axe would connect with the target, but the top spike would protrude behind Dauner.

Dauner's reach is roughly four and a half feet. And this is of course 'rough' when you average an arm length and with his statement of his blade measuring two and a half feet. So even minimally he would have had to close in. But even then he's only got some of my right side to target, because my whole body hadn't stepped forward three feet. That was tied to my intention of maintaining distance depending on what happened next.

EDIT:

So what I did was actually retract my right leg and pull the halberd toward myself. I forgot that I did go through with this maneuver after all. That put our fronts parallel and emphasized the distance of eight feet.

Edited by Die Shize

7 hours ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

Call me curious, but what exactly is Dauner's usual style of fighting involving magic?

He's a... special case. His magic is unstable and so he can't use it directly or he'd just kill everyone present and die. So he infuses it into his sword before using it giving rise a variety of long, mid and short range techniques. He doesn't wear armor as he can infuse magic into his cloths making them stronger than any armor. He can also cut through a variety of objects from rocks to steel, etc. and he regenerates when injured. have i forgotten anything? i wonder