Fierach

Feast of Blades Tournament (Canon Restrictions Removed)

Trueblade Tournament Format  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Setting to the tournament bracket and seeds, but you guys have the option of:

• Single Elimination
    • Double Elimination

Just now, Ataraxy said:

Sounds like strength/ durability enhancing magic

it's actually unstable lightning magic used through methods of the lightning art and lightning sword style

2 hours ago, Dauner Light said:

He's a... special case. His magic is unstable and so he can't use it directly or he'd just kill everyone present and die. So he infuses it into his sword before using it giving rise a variety of long, mid and short range techniques. He doesn't wear armor as he can infuse magic into his cloths making them stronger than any armor. He can also cut through a variety of objects from rocks to steel, etc. and he regenerates when injured. have i forgotten anything? i wonder

That's kindof a super general way of putting it, if I may add. 

I mean, not that I don't understand some of it. In a way, my character uses "magic" so to speak to enhance his cutting strength and execute short, mid and long ranged attacks as well. But I break those down into a set of specific techniques so that I have a general parameter of its extent. Otherwise I could essentially do practically anything I wanted to as it suits me without restraint, which isn't very well balanced. After all, there are many things that can be considered "short, mid and long range" attacks that still vary widely in application. 

Infusing that sort of thing into clothing can become even more problematic, though. Like, I can understand the concept, which seems fairly similar to how ki and other forms of spiritual power are used in certain anime, going so far as to strengthen the skin itself into armor rather than clothing. But things like that don't work well without some sort of give and take. If you can make your clothing into "tank armor", whatever that's supposed to mean, without any real restriction, you can make yourself essentially indestructible except against characters that are specifically overpowered. The same goes with strengthening a cutting implement like a sword to the point where it can cut steel. You may think that a trivial matter, but it's actually a pretty big deal.

That being said, even in the sense of it falling under the purview of strength fortifying magic, the regeneration thing is a completely different class of ability. So if anything your character would have two completely different types of magic at play. 

27 minutes ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

So if anything your character would have two completely different types of magic at play. 

12 minutes ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

without any real restriction, you can make yourself essentially indestructible

the more magic he uses, the more he runs out of stamina. considering the world from which my character comes from, i might say he's under-powered. The fact that his cloths get tough does not mean he does not feel the pain either. He gets tired after using magic to an extent and can no longer use it unless he rests for a while. He also gets worn off the more hits he takes. And cutting of steel is not something he always uses as it takes more magic to cut harder objects.

About his regeneration. It's not an ability gained from his magic but rather from being a half dragon.

52 minutes ago, Dauner Light said:

considering the world from which my character comes from, i might say he's under-powered.

I gotta tell you, if I had a nickel for every time some dude said something like this when discussing RP....well...I'd probably have close to 10 bucks because if you think about it there are already 20 nickels in a dollar so like, that's already 200 nickels? Maybe that's more than I've heard it BUT ANYWAY--

What world you came from is completely immaterial to the world you're playing in. Or rather, the setting. Being underpowered in a different setting with different standards of roleplay doesn't mean anything other than that there's some place out there with characters who, by this current roleplay community's standards, would be even worse offenders. It's like if someone made a defense against a murder charge by saying that where he comes from, everyone is a mass murderer.

57 minutes ago, Dauner Light said:

The fact that his cloths get tough does not mean he does not feel the pain either.

As for the clothes, sure, if they still end up moving like clothes are supposed to then any sort of bludgeoning attack is going to do its damage regardless of how sturdy he makes the material that makes it up. But as far as cutting damage is concerned, you aren't really taking much damage, save the impact of the weapon in general. That's actually still a very considerable advantage but probably not the worst thing ever. Though, again, if they still move like clothes then it practically does nothing to protect you from blunt force trauma. It only helps against cutting and piercing damage. 

59 minutes ago, Dauner Light said:

He gets tired after using magic to an extent and can no longer use it unless he rests for a while. He also gets worn off the more hits he takes. And cutting of steel is not something he always uses as it takes more magic to cut harder objects.

All of that is well and good, sure, as I've used similar metrics in the past. Everything has a cost and so on and so forth. But in my experiences using systems like that, I've found that it's very easy to lose track or even completely ignore these effects since everything is so vague or arbitrary. You could, in effect, always have just enough magic power to do exactly what you need for an entire fight without having to incur any of those penalties. That ends up putting more burden on the judges to decide whether you're writing checks that your body can't cash, and that can be very problematic.

1 hour ago, Dauner Light said:

About his regeneration. It's not an ability gained from his magic but rather from being a half dragon.

*shrug* To be honest, dragons have been so overplayed and overdone in mythos and otherwise that just about every special ability under the sun has been ascribed to them based on the whim of the author. They're almost similar to vampires in that respect, since they too have been given so many different abilities by people re-imagining them that it's meaningless to even mention. Regeneration isn't so much a common trope amongst dragonkind as it is just a useful power that one may just slap onto a dragon because they figure "hey, dragons are supposed to be really powerful so yeah they'd probably do that too".  Even though I can think of a number of cases, particularly famous ones *coughcoughSmaugcough* where they most certainly did not have the ability to regenerate.

You literally could have given any other reason for it and it'd be just as valid. But at any rate, that does establish it as being unrelated to his other power set.

16 minutes ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

I gotta tell you, if I had a nickel for every time some dude said something like this when discussing RP....well...I'd probably have close to 10 bucks because if you think about it there are already 20 nickels in a dollar so like, that's already 200 nickels? Maybe that's more than I've heard it BUT ANYWAY--

What world you came from is completely immaterial to the world you're playing in. Or rather, the setting. Being underpowered in a different setting with different standards of roleplay doesn't mean anything other than that there's some place out there with characters who, by this current roleplay community's standards, would be even worse offenders. It's like if someone made a defense against a murder charge by saying that where he comes from, everyone is a mass murderer.

As for the clothes, sure, if they still end up moving like clothes are supposed to then any sort of bludgeoning attack is going to do its damage regardless of how sturdy he makes the material that makes it up. But as far as cutting damage is concerned, you aren't really taking much damage, save the impact of the weapon in general. That's actually still a very considerable advantage but probably not the worst thing ever. Though, again, if they still move like clothes then it practically does nothing to protect you from blunt force trauma. It only helps against cutting and piercing damage. 

All of that is well and good, sure, as I've used similar metrics in the past. Everything has a cost and so on and so forth. But in my experiences using systems like that, I've found that it's very easy to lose track or even completely ignore these effects since everything is so vague or arbitrary. You could, in effect, always have just enough magic power to do exactly what you need for an entire fight without having to incur any of those penalties. That ends up putting more burden on the judges to decide whether you're writing checks that your body can't cash, and that can be very problematic.

*shrug* To be honest, dragons have been so overplayed and overdone in mythos and otherwise that just about every special ability under the sun has been ascribed to them based on the whim of the author. They're almost similar to vampires in that respect, since they too have been given so many different abilities by people re-imagining them that it's meaningless to even mention. Regeneration isn't so much a common trope amongst dragonkind as it is just a useful power that one may just slap onto a dragon because they figure "hey, dragons are supposed to be really powerful so yeah they'd probably do that too".  Even though I can think of a number of cases, particularly famous ones *coughcoughSmaugcough* where they most certainly did not have the ability to regenerate.

You literally could have given any other reason for it and it'd be just as valid. But at any rate, that does establish it as being unrelated to his other power set.

I don't get why you're stressing this, there are still a bunch of other players out there who's skills overshadow mine. And the world he comes from is not another RP site but a story.

5 minutes ago, Dauner Light said:

I don't get why you're stressing this, there are still a bunch of other players out there who's skills overshadow mine. And the world he comes from is not another RP site but a story.

Oh, that part I don't doubt. Hell, that's true for just about everyone! The fact that you're not the best roleplayer has very little bearing on the subject. You could be the best roleplayer ever and it'd still be worth pointing these things out.

I will say though, that being the least overpowered in a story as opposed to another RP site is just as if not even more irrelevant to the matter of local community character balance.

10 minutes ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

I will say though, that being the least overpowered in a story as opposed to another RP site is just as if not even more irrelevant to the matter of local community character balance.

I don't think he's above ordinary community standard

12 minutes ago, Akiris said:

It's one of those skill sets that's entirely beatable, but generally shuts down conventional fighters pretty hard.

I mean, define conventional? Are we talking just completely non-powered fighters? Even then, I'd say it doesn't necessarily "shut down" a conventional fighter if they're smart enough.

2 minutes ago, Dauner Light said:

I don't think he's above ordinary community standard

Given the way Valucre's power tier seems to fluctuate, then yes, perhaps not.

1 minute ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

I mean, define conventional? Are we talking just completely non-powered fighters? Even then, I'd say it doesn't necessarily "shut down" a conventional fighter if they're smart enough.

Given the way Valucre's power tier seems to fluctuate, then yes, perhaps not.

Fight in Terrenus 

Be at least mid-range and have more protection than naked and helicoptering your dick.

Intentionally destabilize the guys magic.

You've won.

The Terrenus power cap is Cannon and real. This turns the death throes from catastrophic to don't be up close when they go off.

I'm assuming your character has some way to defend themselves from attacks. That'll greatly mitagate a result you expect.

You're trying to hit his magic, him personally is just icing. His clothes, his attacks, ect. Kind of like lighting something on fire that's drenched in gasoline. Light part of it and the rest will go. There's a reason you shouldn't squeeze lighter fluid on an open flame after all.

------------------------

But if you just wanted to swing swords, throw fireballs, pistol whip him with a loaded gun and hope for the best..... Power to you.

If not, at least offer to RP with one of my characters before swiping my solution as your own. It's not like a consultation service for 'do it yourself' assassinations wouldn't be funny.

2 minutes ago, Akiris said:

Fight in Terrenus 

Be at least mid-range and have more protection than naked and helicoptering your dick.

Intentionally destabilize the guys magic.

You've won.

The Terrenus power cap is Cannon and real. This turns the death throes from catastrophic to don't be up close when they go off.

I'm assuming your character has some way to defend themselves from attacks. That'll greatly mitagate a result you expect.

You're trying to hit his magic, him personally is just icing. His clothes, his attacks, ect. Kind of like lighting something on fire that's drenched in gasoline. Light part of it and the rest will go. There's a reason you shouldn't squeeze lighter fluid on an open flame after all.

------------------------

But if you just wanted to swing swords, throw fireballs, pistol whip him with a loaded gun and hope for the best..... Power to you.

If not, at least offer to RP with one of my characters before swiping my solution as your own. It's not like a consultation service for 'do it yourself' assassinations wouldn't be funny.

Are you separating with --------------'s to break up thoughts or is this supposed to respond to multiple posts? I can only assume this is all in response to the two lines you quoted, so here goes nothing.

Nooooot....entirely sure what you're getting at here? You refer to "destabilizing" his magic as if that's a common power anyone would have just by being "mid-range". Unless you're just using that as another word for defending? Still, even when a strategy is fairly clear cut, no fight is ever as simple that you can boil it down the way you have and then, boom, "you've won". 

Death throes? Again, still kindof unsure of what this is referring to unless you're supposedly talking about Dauner and the magic instability? Wasn't even sure if he was referring to it actually doing that if he were to die, just that he had to keep it under control by using it in specific ways. That being said, while certainly not that impossible, "hitting his magic" isn't as general a bread-and-butter ability as you'd think. That being said, it still kindof sounds like you're just referring to parrying his magic attacks. Then you get into something about...lighter fluid? What? That's not how magic works at all. :U  Certainly not by any basic power set. 

I mean, I don't particularly wanna do anything, lol, I just said that a conventional fighter isn't necessarily shut down by those abilities. I don't think I even said anything about the abilities being overpowered, just that sometimes the combinations can be problematic insofar as balance goes. And yet I should probably point out I'm referring to balance for things such as tournaments, not free-play.

Somehow I think you've read something completely different from my words than what was intended. The heck is with this talk of swiping strategies and "assassinations"? 😕

Solution: Don’t use magic

Never mind dragons or vampires, if one thing is overdone it’s magic, magic, magic. Attacking someone? Cast Black Hole Fire Lightning From A Different Language. Painting your house? Use a paint token that casts paint from another dimension. Building a city? Magic is its electricity. 

There’s more magic round these parts than there is in an anime.

But take it all from a minority viewpoint on this site. I might even be the only one here who sees magic as an overdone and boring device but, alas, that’s not why I’m on this site. So many things are overdone that the main thing is whether it’s done right. Best way to find out what works and what doesn’t is to put it into practice. If Dauner wears the Cool Jacket of Armored Midnight then all it takes is a spunky passerby to take him on and see if the thing is worth wearing.