Fierach

Feast of Blades Tournament (Canon Restrictions Removed)

Trueblade Tournament Format  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Setting to the tournament bracket and seeds, but you guys have the option of:

• Single Elimination
    • Double Elimination

@Tenkai Matsumoto

I could say magic is bullshit, but then I could also say that having days to think over and formulate a post is even more bullshit. The character sure as hell doesn't have time to measure everything out like he's in VATS the entire fight.

Don't worry about it.

1 hour ago, Akiris said:

@Tenkai Matsumoto

I could say magic is bullshit, but then I could also say that having days to think over and formulate a post is even more bullshit. The character sure as hell doesn't have time to measure everything out like he's in VATS the entire fight.

Don't worry about it.

Eh, thing is though that most of us make a claim that our characters can fight a lot better than their roleplayers can IRL. So where it might take them two seconds to figure out a decent attack it might take me two days. You might compare this to a very witty character in a novel. The character constantly has witty lines that tickle the reader, so you might wonder if the author is just as witty. Except that, while the character comes out with these witty lines on the spot in the middle of conversations, it takes the author days to figure out a witty line.

Point being that as long as the end result is the same then it doesn't really matter how long it takes OOC to come up with a combat maneuver. What matters is whether it's effective. Granted, there's a balance here. Using all of this available time to write a combat post can lead to dodging every hit or submitting your post as though the fight is still in slow motion or your opponent has stopped in time but you haven't. PVP is one of the more visible situations in roleplay where you generally fuse IC with OOC but it does require care.

53 minutes ago, Akiris said:

@Tenkai Matsumoto

Don't worry about it.

Magic is only really as bullshit insofar as its effects are bullshit. I’m absolutely not knocking it’s use, just that you can’t just pull random skills out of nowhere like they’re just generally available to anyone with a form of magic.

Also, what? What is this, T2? This isn’t some sort of “if you don’t respond in 30 minutes I win” kind of deal. It really doesn’t take that long to hammer out the technical details of a melee post. People who take too long to post in a fight usually just take too long to post in general. It’s a personal thing. 

Whenever I’ve seen time limits enforced, it was usually just a 24 hour period if they wanted to keep things moving fast. I still fail to see what you’re getting at here. Just “not worrying about it” is kindof a cop out when it comes to competitive roleplay combat systems.

2 hours ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

Magic is only really as bullshit insofar as its effects are bullshit. I’m absolutely not knocking it’s use, just that you can’t just pull random skills out of nowhere like they’re just generally available to anyone with a form of magic.

Also, what? What is this, T2? This isn’t some sort of “if you don’t respond in 30 minutes I win” kind of deal. It really doesn’t take that long to hammer out the technical details of a melee post. People who take too long to post in a fight usually just take too long to post in general. It’s a personal thing. 

Whenever I’ve seen time limits enforced, it was usually just a 24 hour period if they wanted to keep things moving fast. I still fail to see what you’re getting at here. Just “not worrying about it” is kindof a cop out when it comes to competitive roleplay combat systems.

Agreed particularly in regards to how long it takes to conjure and post a combat post. It can take me from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to an hour, given that my window to post is about that long and after I have combed through every form of grammar and spelling mistake that could hurt me or lead to a painful edit.

If it takes me two days to make a combat post, though, then assume that I can’t make one until then due to things in life that aren’t roleplay. 

Either way there is an IC-OOC separation safety that disregards how long it takes our characters to do something versus how long it takes us to post what they are doing. The two should not be judged in the same way unless it’s...T2.

Hopefully we have squashed this issue by now though.

Here is what I usually do in to fights, if I'm stuck and say in a sword duel I'll bring out one of my dull training blades and practice with it, even imitate what is going on in the fight at that moment.

If I am using a halberd I bring mine out and go into the yard and do the same. I do believe that if you are going to use a weapon you need to at least have a little experience in knowing the feel of it and how much versatility it can actually give you (or your character) in a fight.

Edited by Garion

1 minute ago, Garion said:

Here is what I usually do in to fights, if I'm stuck and say in a sword duel I'll bring out one of my dull training blades and practice with it, even imitate what is going on in the fight at that moment.

If I am using a halberd I bring mine out and go into the yard and do the same. I do believe that if you are going to use a weapon you need to at least have a little experience in knowing the feel of it and how much versatility it can actually give you (or your character) in a fight.

I also use my hands IRL when the occasion calls for it but, while the theory is sound regarding your latter point, I’m not sure how practical it is for most of us.

I used a halberd in my match for this tournament. I’ve never even seen a halberd IRL though. In my case, I decided to do some brief research with it and otherwise just dive in. I probably should have been more studious though but I guess that’s the point: using any weapon in PVP is its own risk. But we can learn by doing even if we are only virtually doing.

I mean, most of us are familiar with swords but I reckon that only some of us are really familiar with swords. A painfully huge part of the entertainment industry, from movies to games and even novels, barely has an idea on how to use a sword from arming sword to katana. Unfortunately, whether we admit it or not, for most of us a lot of what we think we know about swords comes from entertainment.

Roleplay PVP ultimately boils down to concerning yourself with your own confidence, because if the opponent makes a mistake by swinging a halberd like a baseball bat then you can exploit that...perhaps.

12 minutes ago, Akiris said:

@Die Shize You at least get it.

@Tenkai Matsumoto If you don't want to stay on topic, then go back to your online katanamancy.

Lol, bro, do I know you? 

I am on topic. You’re the one bringing up taking too long to post, I was just responding to that. If that’s off topic then...well...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, not sure where you’re getting “online katamamancy” from but it seems to me you seem to know enough about me to know that kenjutsu is kindof my thing. At least enough to try and make it dismissive.

I don't think any of you are on topic and I have no idea where any of this stemmed from.

Tenkai, you asked Dauner about his fighting style. He said with his special magic. Anything further from here other then the words, "that's cool" or "tell me about it" is wrong. Nobody is asking for a critique. 

5 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

I also use my hands IRL when the occasion calls for it but, while the theory is sound regarding your latter point, I’m not sure how practical it is for most of us.

I used a halberd in my match for this tournament. I’ve never even seen a halberd IRL though. In my case, I decided to do some brief research with it and otherwise just dive in. I probably should have been more studious though but I guess that’s the point: using any weapon in PVP is its own risk. But we can learn by doing even if we are only virtually doing.

I mean, most of us are familiar with swords but I reckon that only some of us are really familiar with swords. A painfully huge part of the entertainment industry, from movies to games and even novels, barely has an idea on how to use a sword from arming sword to katana. Unfortunately, whether we admit it or not, for most of us a lot of what we think we know about swords comes from entertainment.

Roleplay PVP ultimately boils down to concerning yourself with your own confidence, because if the opponent makes a mistake by swinging a halberd like a baseball bat then you can exploit that...perhaps.

Very true, not many have the time or chance to learn HEMA much less spit out money for a halberd or training sword. 

The only problem with getting up and going through the motions in private is that you lack an outside eye.  Someone who has never had any instruction before isn't going to know that their movement is improper or that their technique is weak unless they have someone there to tell them.  The other problem inherent in that is finding someone with an instructor-level knowledge base to help you work out your pretend fights on the internet.

So, might be useful for a journeyman but definitely not for a layman.

6 minutes ago, Fierach said:

I don't think any of you are on topic and I have no idea where any of this stemmed from.

Tenkai, you asked Dauner about his fighting style. He said with his special magic. Anything further from here other then the words, "that's cool" or "tell me about it" is wrong. Nobody is asking for a critique. 

Nobody had to ask for it! :3

It wasn’t even a critique, for what it’s worth. I -could- do a critique but that would be a bit heavy handed, wouldn’t you think?

Really, this discussion was between myself and Dauner. Ya’ll wanna just pile in and derail it into whatever else and then tell me I’m “off topic” when none of you were involved to begin with. 

@Tenkai Matsumoto I think the issue is that, between you and Dauner or not, this thread probably isn’t the best place to have that discussion. I speak for myself as well.

Fierach has spoken. We have indeed drifted off course and missed the buoy.

As supernal once discussed with me, without the police around to police things, things can get out of hand. xD

Let’s get back on topic, fellers!

Few people have that resource lol @Garion That plays into what I was saying about the difference between a journeyman and a layman.  You and your brother have a baseline, you have had instruction, so these concepts aren't just theoretical to you or your sibling.  They're practical.  You understand how they are supposed to work, so you can spot when they don't.

Few players have practical skills in fighting, they have theoretical skills instead.  So if they try to apply it in practice they have no idea if it's right or wrong.