Fierach

Feast of Blades Tournament (Canon Restrictions Removed)

Trueblade Tournament Format  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Setting to the tournament bracket and seeds, but you guys have the option of:

• Single Elimination
    • Double Elimination

21 minutes ago, Garion said:

That's why I have a twin brother who also took up HEMA. It certainly helps to have a physical opponent who can strike back.

I'm just imagining you and Alexei bonking each other with pool noodles.

Its funny. Also who would win in a fight?

16 minutes ago, Fierach said:

I'm just imagining you and Alexei bonking each other with pool noodles.

Its funny. Also who would win in a fight?

Me of course.

You should know that by now.

;D

Tooth and nerve ending been hurting since god knows how long. Also, been extremely busy with my kids. All four of them; moving into a new place, situating things, taking them to school atleast my oldest two. 

However, today shall be the day I continue. Aware the 16th is the cut off. Still, that is more than enough time for me to finish the match. 

Lo prometi

Jonnnnyyyyyyy Wang! 

@Twitterpated

Edited by Etched In Stone

1 hour ago, Spooky Mittens said:

🤔

A speedbat like for baseball practice? 

Pool noodle on a pvc pipe. Foam chunk for a pommel. Some duct tape, not too much, to keep a few bits in place. Cloth cover over the top.

I did this Dagorhir thing for a while and they were popular there. Foam sword fighting.

Those broke long ago. But the ultra greatsword with the two inch pvc core lives on. I almost can't believe I still have the thing.

Yeah... Safe..... *Laughs nervously* About as safe as the backyard beat on the other guy until he gives up was. The actual finding a group and cutting out the stuff that would get me immediately ejected came later.

36 minutes ago, Akiris said:

Are those sticks? You posh folks get HANDGUARDS with your sticks?

Those are way more dangerous though.

Get them? Don't LARP combat dudes make their own weapons? Why wouldn't you make guards for your own swords? Or was there some sort of rule against that?

But yeah, absolutely more dangerous. Even smoother cudgels would still be more dangerous since solid wood is still heavier and harder, with no padding. A bokken would be just as dangerous, though they typically don't have guards as a rule.

I'm reminiscing back about 20 years when me and the boys would roughly form up teams and literally hunt each other through the woods with actual sticks. It was great.

I think you guys are assigning way more class to young me's exploits than is deserved in any capacity.

Nah, I've made 0 points about you personally.  I'm talking about pretty general ideas.  Whether these thoughts apply to you in particular or not is irrelevant.

So, about those sticks; yes they have hand guards.  Those particular hand guards were popular in the 17th century because the swordplay of the day was broadsword/backsword.  Those kinds of swords had basket hilts, so to train in their use you need something there to restrict your hand.  Whether the leather cup actually did anything to protect your fingers or not is secondary to the muscle memory function.

Earlier periods didn't use hand guards, but singlestick was still a practice that goes back to Rome.