Fierach

Feast of Blades Tournament (Canon Restrictions Removed)

" half-plate is provided, minus the helmet, featuring breastplate, pauldrons, gauntlets, greaves, and tassets "

I think we should clarify what provisional half plate entails, even better if Fierarch can provide images since this 'provisional half plate' appears to be restricted to what the tournament provides rather than what the contestants bring.

Some of us are not as versed on armor components, and some of us might think we are but our 'understanding' is, as with many things, influenced by what we read in novels and see on TV..

For example, my understanding of "greaves" is that they cover only the lower leg (shin area) just below the knee to the ankle. Video games and such like to simplify things as "full greaves" covering from thigh to ankle if not including the foot, which appears to be inaccurate terminology as it seems that separate components serve these other areas and not greaves: cuisses for the thighs, poleyn for the knees and sabaton for the feet.

Also, some greaves cover only the shins, the front, while other greaves cover around that whole leg portion, front and back. A player wouldn't want to unwittingly cut the back leg only to find out, oops, that part is armored too.

Pauldrons are another good one. There are pauldrons that cover just the shoulders and pauldrons that cover the shoulders and a little of the upper arms. This, if not understood by both parties, could have quite the impact.

While it surely falls upon each of us to ensure that we are adhering to rules and inquiring of our opponents etc., having clarification for what 'half plate' is exactly, as provided for the tournament, should help prevent any confusions that arise during combat.

Is there a standardized set of half plate provided for the tournament? Or do we have room for interpretation, such as choosing to (for some reason) have pauldrons that only cover the shoulders, or greaves that only cover the front, and whatsuch?

I did post links to and quote everybody in the hub thread Dauner. 

@Die Shize on the subject of armor, if everybody desires, I can standardize all equipment going forth to a pretty precise and exacting, but that also means I will have to standardize all weapons, and I have no real wish to eliminate the differences that rpers might want to portray in their weaponry and choice of. Barring things that often outright have an advantage like a poleaxe, I think characters like Dauner or Kenishi just aren't the same if they were forced to use single longswords. Damnatus would be sad if Arthanthos didn't have his montante, and its pretty difficult picturing Tzak with a shortsword in place of a mace. 

For general purposes though, greaves = lower legs and wrap around and pauldrons = shoulder only.

7 hours ago, Fierach said:

@Die Shize on the subject of armor, if everybody desires, I can standardize all equipment going forth to a pretty precise and exacting, but that also means I will have to standardize all weapons, and I have no real wish to eliminate the differences that rpers might want to portray in their weaponry and choice of. Barring things that often outright have an advantage like a poleaxe, I think characters like Dauner or Kenishi just aren't the same if they were forced to use single longswords. Damnatus would be sad if Arthanthos didn't have his montante, and its pretty difficult picturing Tzak with a shortsword in place of a mace. 

For general purposes though, greaves = lower legs and wrap around and pauldrons = shoulder only.

What I'm after is more clarification on what the armor entails, so that everyone reads it from the tournament head. Which you did for greaves and pauldrons, that was precisely what I was after.

Breastplate covers just the front part of the torso and not the back, unless I'm wrong. I wanted to clarify that too.

Again, I can be wordy but I wasn't looking for anything fancy, just basic clarity on what this provisional half-plate is. If someone wants to wear less plate instead of more (half-greaves or what have you) then it's good that they can, or wear purple instead of green, but not upper-arm pauldrons and instead shoulders only, etc.

1 hour ago, Twitterpated said:

One of them is 🤷‍♂️

I had originally written Vadrian approaching Etched’s character without factoring in your other character’s prior arrival, which made the scene awkward after the fact, so in the end I decided to hold off for now, is all.