Fierach

Feast of Blades Tournament (Canon Restrictions Removed)

Trueblade Tournament Format  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Setting to the tournament bracket and seeds, but you guys have the option of:

• Single Elimination
    • Double Elimination

Roleplay combat is arguably the only platform where you want to give the kind of detail that you don’t want to read in a novel.

In a novel, no one really wants to read “Jack swung his scimitar diagonally upward from his left to right, the convex of the blade aimed for his opponent’s chest, targeting from hip to shoulder”. Not as fun as reading just “Jack swung his sword for his opponent’s chest”. Because this lets the reader imagine the details instead of having them spoonfed.

In roleplay combat, you conversely need all this informational nonsense in order to mount an effective response. It’s just how the game is played. Same with details on the weapon you are using. I think there should be an inherent and universal requirement, including the type of weapon and dimensions, but I think there can be additional information that might not be needed outright unless asked for. I mean, I don’t usually specify the weight of my weapons. I rarely know what they are and have never really had weapon weight factor into PVP beyond obvious ‘dagger vs greatsword’. I might say my blade is made of steel but, especially in a fight where uber-awesome material is prohibited, like shiny moon metal from Planet Moon, few if any are going to show up wielding iron or bronze.

Which all ties into asking, not assuming. Assuming things is tricky territory. If for some reason you need to know the weight of your opponent’s dagger, ask before you respond to them IC. If your opponent fails to provide the orientation of their attack, ask before you respond IC. If you don’t get an answer then it gets treated like failure to post within the timeframe or something on their part. If it’s information that you need and they are not providing then perhaps it is their responsibility. 

Just my eleventy cents.

Shouldn't assume anything. I believe each entrant should describe his weapon's basic form and overall dimensions in Trueblade. If they don't, they will be asked to, politely.

If neither side do, they will both get a stick to fight with. A stick that will have to be shared. That being said, nobody should be having a weapon that is outside of what may be considered basic for their style of weapon. This means no spring loaded chain in a mace, no serrations on a longsword, no spikes on the edges of a shield, no indestructible nodachi even if thats its only odd attribute (looking at you Fierach... wait thats me and I'm not entering). 

Trueblade happens to have 8 contestants, the brackets will be posted by Thursday, the stages by Saturday. If it had been less, I would have set up a round robin function. 

Yes you will be allowed to change weapons and armor inbetween rounds. 

Just now, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

Why would you not tho? :u

You mean speculate into the motivations of a nonexistent person for a hypothetical situation? 

No thanks!

idk why someone would or if they’d even do it on purpose. The if conditional doesn’t care for the why, just that it is or isn’t 

You can ask die shize tho

Since the number of participants is small enough, and I want everybody to feel like they got a chance, you guys have the option of voting for single, or double elimination format before I put up the brackets for Trueblade.

9 minutes ago, Fierach said:

Since the number of participants is small enough, and I want everybody to feel like they got a chance, you guys have the option of voting for single, or double elimination format before I put up the brackets for Trueblade.

does double mean you lose twice before you're out? I'll definitely prefer that, if just to get a feel for what fighting is XD