vielle

one so skilled [yanaihara]

Image result for field art banner

All his life, Takatsu Renjiro has been running late, and it’s cost him the world, once. He’s not quite so keen in fate exacting such a price from him again, but it seems this particular situation has turned out for the better, strange as it seems.

“You mean—there hasn’t been a single casualty in a week?”

Sitting astride a stallion, Renjiro shares a look with Steward Takashi. The village had sent for reinforcements to aid them in the long-raging fight with guerilla bandits along the roads of Kirishima Province, but now that they’ve brought soldiers from the ranks of the Kōzui, it turns out they needn’t have bothered leading such a large force through the grasslands all the way from the Yanaihara estate. Not when they’ve found themselves a formidable form of defense all on their own.

“I’ve heard mention of a warrior who wields a most peculiar weapon,” a young man reports with succinct formality, calloused fingers tapping an indistinct beat against the wooden table. A nobler man would call it anxiety in the face of old money individuals, but Renjiro rather thinks he’s just impatient to get away from this conversation. “Most of us haven’t been able to see it up close to ascertain what it is or even his exact identity, but. He’s been doing good work around here, keeping us safe.”

And that is that. Renjiro turns away, leaves Steward Takashi to continue their little discussion as he moves onward to mull about the dirt paths, weaving his way through the huts and the crossroads of curious eyes trailing after him. It doesn’t take long until he reaches the outskirts of civilization, where the homes the people have made for themselves meet the vast greenery. He turns his gaze to the horizon, the rolling hills beyond the village borders, and stops short.

There is—something blue, in the distance, or rather, someone. Renjiro squints his eyes, blinks the sun motes from his lashes as he focuses on the tall figure standing amidst the blades of grass swaying ever so subtly in the breeze.

Perhaps this is the mysterious warrior they’ve all heard so much about. Without thinking, he urges his horse forward, crossing the wide expanse to meet the stranger.

@SteamWarden

Edited by vielle

Kinaro stood in the field of grass and stared ahead. The people were safe for now from the numerous bandit attacks. It was only a matter of time before another happened. In the meantime the blue warrior stood in the field, with arms crossed. He told the village people ahead of time he wasn't be to disturbed so hearing the sounds hooves made him question which member of the Kozui was brave enough to talk to him. He didn't like them. Intruding on the village he's been protecting for some time. 'The nerve of some people.'

He spoke quietly as the man on the horse but also loud enough that his words were just barely heard. "What do you want from me soldier? I wish to remain undisturbed." His voice held a tone of annoyance, particularly in the word 'soldier'. It was made very clear he didn't like these non-village people to be around.

Renjiro very carefully does not smile at the question posed to him, even as the edges of his mouth threaten to twitch. He gazes upon the man’s face, taking note with some amusement that even astride his horse, he just barely reaches the other warrior’s line of sight, the giant that he is. It would feel altogether too distressing, if not for the fact that in the serenity of the wildlands, the gentle hush of the wind—the man doesn’t really appear all too frightening.

He just had saved a village all by himself, according to the whispers that follow Renjiro into the grass. There is an overwhelming sense of knowing that he will not be harmed, if he can trust the feeling churning in his gut.

Nevertheless, he feels as if he should greet him properly. “Apologies, sir. I merely wished to pay my respects to a fellow warrior skilled enough to defend this village all on his own, without an army at his beck and call.” The Minobi swings himself off his horse, placing himself in a lower position: looking up at the blue-skinned man as he speaks. “I may seem like an interloper or an outsider, but please, allow me to extend my gratitude for all you’ve done.”

His gaze flickers; his eyes catch on something strange by the giant’s waist. There’s a large metal ball that he could estimate to weigh rather heavily, and it’s attached to a rope that loops around the man’s body and into somewhere amongst his clothing. It’s a curious thing.

“Anyhow,” Renjiro continues to fill the sudden silence left by his staring, “before I overstay my welcome, perhaps I could ask if you could divulge your ways? It is not everyday that one lone man can face off against a constant wave of bandits and successfully hold the line.”

Kinaro turned to face the man who spoke to him and it turns out he was a lot younger than he anticipated. He hears a soldier talk to him directly and he assumes a wise elder. It must be true that everyone has their place. The man's words were true. He did defend the village on his own but he had some help getting to the point of being able to defend them. They helped him in his earlier days and he returns the favor by defending against any attack. "Without this village I wouldn't have made it very far in life. The traders here helped me survive in my youth so I help them now." He paused and motioned to the man with his but not just him alone but also the people he brought with him. "You are indeed outsiders but you are not interlopers. This village thrives on the help of outsiders but with the help you've brought you're sure to bring a larger amount of foes than previous attempts. You're presence may be welcomed but you're help isn't. Not by me at least. They see the many attacks and ask for help but they do not understand the consequences to come with it. The only possible good thing to come is the bandit leader may feel threatened with your presence and not attack which isn't likely with how many of his people he's sent to die." 

At this point he started to walk towards the man, his height being made more threatening, until he stood a few feet away. "I assume you haven't heard of me if you're asking me to tell you how I've been defending them all this time. I'm the only known master of the Kyoketsu-Shoge. I've even been asked to teach my art with some of the clans in the region. Greedy and desperate words by them helped my decision." Slowly he walked past the man and towards the village. He had enough of the conversation and he wanted to leave it. If the man was fortunate to see him action then he'd understand why he's such a threat.

For a brief moment after the man takes his leave and heads on back towards the village, Renjiro stands speechless. A master of the kyoketsu-shoge, the man had introduced himself as. There can only be one individual who is famed to have been skilled in the art of the uncannily uncommon weapon, and it takes an absurd amount of time for him to remember the alias attached to the reputation.

“You’re—you’re Kinaro-sensei!” He works hard to keep the starstruck awe from his voice, but he’s not quite sure it’s been entirely suppressed. He is about to continue when ahorn sounds, unmistakably hostile in its blaring siren call, and Renjiro distinctly knows that this is not a noise of alarm from his own men. The Minobi turns his gaze further beyond him—

An arrow whizzes past and strikes the grass at his feet, its feather tips tinged with sickening crimson red. It very much screams enemy attack.

“To arms, to arms,” he yells out to the rest of his cadre, flinging himself up and kickstarting the hasty trot of his stallion back towards the vicinity of the huts. The Kōzui horsemen ready their spears as they encircle the expanse of the village: a living shield barrier of man and animal prepared for battle.

With a quiet chuckle at the man's tone when he figured out who Kinaro was, he kept walking towards the village until his eyes caught something in the distance. Archers. It was until he heard the horn he knew that the bandits came. As the arrows were launched he quickly unhooked his weapon and swung the ball in the air, behind a villager, smashing an arrow to splinters. The villagers turned and scrambled about to quickly get inside their homes as the soldiers lined up outside village. 'This was bound to happen but the archers are different. They normally send grunts to do the dirty work. Archers mean an assault.' He quickly ran to the soldier's line of defense and stood next to the man who he was conversing with before. "You and your men stay here. This is a different plan of attack by them and not grunt fighters. Prepare your men for any bandits that go straight for the village itself. I fear they are sending everything they have."

As the blue giant stood in the field ahead of the soldiers, he slid his Keikogi's shirt off as a sort of battle tradition. If he's learned anything of his people is that most bandits know who they are and the tribal markings would make them recognize who exactly they're facing. He dropped the weighted ball of his weapon and wrapped the rope loosely around his lower leg. As he saw the bandits run towards the village he noticed that instead of just basic blades they held a wider variety of weapon from bo staff to sai. 

The bandits formed a large wave of more than fifty and rushed the village. As they neared the blue giant he quickly dispatched of the first bandit to swing at him with a roped dagger to the chest. As he looked to his sides he the rest of the bandits that didn't go for him attempt for the soldiers. While distracted however he was struck on the side by a staff. As Kinaro looked down at the bandit, seemingly unphased, he swiped the bandits leg and pierced the dagger through his chest. This battle wouldn't be easy for anyone. The bandits would have to deal with very skilled warriors and the warriors defending the village would have to fight a small army of bandits all the while dodging arrows raining from the sky.

Facing a sudden bandit onslaught with the quiet strength of his trained men around him, Renjiro feels fairly confident in their armed defense of the village. However, Kinaro—and surely, this man really is the renowned sensei; there could be no other—offers advice concerning the Kōzui’s next course of action, and though the Minobi is a bit hesitant at standing their ground where he and his men cannot easily provide aid, he understands what is being asked of him, what is more important in this case: the safety of the villagers.

Renjiro orders the horsemen to prepare themselves just as Kinaro had asked him to, brandishing spears in one hand and shields in the other. Only once he’s sure they’re readied in their respective positions does he turn his focus back to the lone warrior.

Turns out he needn’t have bothered with worrying of any sort.

The tall blue man moves with the practiced grace of a warrior who has mastered his own chosen craft, muscles rippling under the harsh warmth of the sun overhead. His kyoketsu-shoge whips out and dispatches wave after wave of enemies. If they hadn’t been in combat, Renjiro would’ve opted to gaze upon the other man and take note of his technique.

There is a sudden plethora of whistling noises in the air. Renjiro calls out a sharp order, and the shields are raised above the horsemen’s heads: a makeshift shelter that mostly protects them from the arrows battering against them. The bandits making their way forward on foot finally reach them close enough to engage—and then Renjiro does not quite remember what happens next, later on, losing himself in the battle fury.

He sees the battlefield in flashes: there are only horse whinnies and pained cries in the air, the Kōzui trampling their enemies under their stallions and bandits eliminating his own men with carefully-placed strikes. He keeps on fighting despite it all, tooth and nail.

As the arrow volley rained over them Kinaro had no protection from them so instead of using his weapon he picked up the corpse of a bandit and threw it towards the arrows themselves before using the ball of his weapon to smash the rest. At this point of the fight he was cut up, bruised, panting and down on one knee. This was too many skilled bandits for even him to take on. Curious on the fight behind him he saw only Renjiro and a few of his men standing. 'I guess even trained soldiers have their limits.' As he was about to stand, he felt a bolt of magic hit his chest and went back down on knee but in more pain than he was previously in. 'Magic?' As he looked up he saw the body of a shaman in the distance standing with the remaining bandits. 

"So you're the warrior who's been making a mockery of my men? And now you brought soldiers to help you? Pathetic from one with the capabilities you possess." The leader spoke as he neared Kinaro as he charged a spell in his hand. His attention was focused on the blue warrior more than the soldiers. His only goal here to take the threats out ranging from the threat level. And Kinaro was top priority. As his spell was finished charging he sent towards Kinaro.

Kinaro couldn't believe it. He'd been bested by a shaman. He had no energy to move from the blast of magic that hit him as if the blast itself sapped his energy. The only hope he could have was the soldiers to jump in and save him. If they couldn't well he knew he'd be best sooner or later.

booming voice dripping with derision so heavy it is almost tangible echoes through the battlefield, and Renjiro turns his gaze to the intimidating figure at the head of the bandit pack, shouting in the direction of the tall blue warrior. Suddenly, the stranger flicks his fingers, sending bolts of white-hot magic spiralling across the expanse, striking Kinaro and sending him to his knees in pain.

It is here that he stands at the crossroads of choices. They could leave the lone warrior here, to die at the stake he has erected in the name of defending innocents, and without any further losses to their numbers. However: that is not an act of honor. It is not the way of the Minobi.

With a rallying warcry, Renjiro summons the remaining force of his horsemen in an organized charge, hooves thundering over the grass as they move forward with spears and shields at the ready. Their disciplined calm comes to the forefront, trained right down to the very marrow of their bones, and the Kōzui fall into ranks to circle around Kinaro, keeping him shielded from their enemy.

His stallion racing ahead of his soldiers, Renjiro sets aside his sword, opts to switch to a longbow aiming directly at the shaman’s chest, dead center. He breathes, allows the world to fall silent around him—and lets the arrow fly straight and true.

The blast from the Shaman would hit the Kozui's shields, the force strong enough to stagger them backwards and with Renjiro's arrow firing towards the Shaman, Kinaro stood up, slowly regaining his strength. He watched the arrow pierce the bandit leader but the leader didn't immediately fall, in fact the bandit leader tried healing himself with the short time he had before shock fully took place and he fell onto his back. The remaining archers stood stunned to see their leader fall with two dragging him away, unsure whether they could save him. With a huff the blue giant shook his head. Normally he'd finish the rest off but with how many were already killed and with their leader defeated the rest would flee and go elsewhere. 

"Thank you. For helping the village and coming to my aid." Despite being in pain he bowed to Renjiro and the Kozui members. "I take it you will be tasked with going back where you came seeing as the reason you were here is no longer a problem." As he stood straight again he turned back to the village and slowly walked back to it. He felt there wasn't anything else to be said and he needed to let the villager know it was safe now.

The Kōzui cheer all around him as the bandits slink off into the distance like dogs with their tails between their legs: altogether defeated. Renjiro allows himself a brief moment to smile and celebrate with his men before urging his horse to trot in the direction of the man wielding the kyoketsu-shoge.

As he comes nearer, Kinaro bows towards the whole company, thanking them for their aid. He then immediately brushes them aside as if nothing had happened, and really, Renjiro has no patience for such stoicness. He will damn well offer help to a fellow warrior, no matter what the man in question thinks of them.

Sensei, I insist you let us bring you to the village,” he gestures to Yen, the young horseman riding beside him, as he speaks to Kinaro, “before your strength gives out.” Renjiro’s gaze scans the blue giant for any visible signs of injury, then he orders for Yen and a few other soldiers to assist in helping Kinaro move more easily towards the village. As they make their way to the village and the healers’ huts, Renjiro carries on a steady stream of conversation with the lone warrior.

“I do not think you realize our plan here, sensei. The Yanaihara intend to station a few Minobi here to train the local militia and construct better defenses for the villagers. It would be most beneficial not only for them, but for our Clan as well.” Renjiro looks out to the fields where they had fought the bandits not too long ago, the Kōzui slowly leading their wounded away. “You need not fight alone here.”

3 hours ago, vielle said:

Sensei, I insist you let us bring you to the village,” he gestures to Yen, the young horseman riding beside him, as he speaks to Kinaro, “before your strength gives out.”

'As much as I wish for them to not help me, that blast did more than they think.' Kinaro nodded and allowed the soldiers to help him to the village. Visibly he was fine, only a couple bruises and plenty of small slashes but none of which seemed to be damaging, more of a nuisance. However internally he was in pain. The blast of magic sent by the bandit leader was supposed to immobilize while the second was to finish him off. He still felt the immobilizing effect to some extent as both of his arms seemed to struggle to move very far so he kept them to his side. 

As they entered the healer's hut he sat down and let the village folk tend to him.

3 hours ago, vielle said:

I do not think you realize our plan here, sensei. The Yanaihara intend to station a few Minobi here to train the local militia and construct better defenses for the villagers. It would be most beneficial not only for them, but for our Clan as well.” Renjiro looks out to the fields where they had fought the bandits not too long ago, the Kōzui slowly leading their wounded away. “You need not fight alone here.”

The only thing he could do is grunt. He didn't want them here but they had proven they're capable enough to take a small army of bandits. "There's not much else to say but fine. I can't argue the plan of some clan's soldiers. Not even I would be foolish enough to fight you and your men. As for the benefits. I see the village gaining from this but what of you and this... Yanaihara clan. This is a village of traders and farmers for the most part. They do what they can to survive. If you come because they called for you and expect them to have plenty to give in return then you're mistaken." Quietly he sips some herbal tea from the healer now that his arms are fully functional before continuing. "For these benefits to be of equal value you would have to somehow find a way to recruit, train and arm the men you lost, maybe more if you actually plan to leave some here to help these people out." 

For all his years living off the rough on the land and all his travels across the face of Kirishima Province, Renjiro can’t quite determine for the life of him where this strange aura of animosity emanating from the blue man is coming from. He understands that it could very well be simply from the urge to protect the simple folk of the village, but surely he has heard of similar undertakings the Yanaihara have done for the various villages dotted along the silk road paths of Shiruku? They wish only to help and to grow their fellows; is that knowledge so difficult to absorb?

“We have more than enough men to spare, you realize,” he explains, absentmindedly accepting a cup of tea from the elderly woman bustling around the healer’s tent. “The men we’ve lost have died a noble death, defending the innocent.” Already, he can see in his mind’s eye the Kōzui preparing the bodies of their fallen to return to Hekishoku Palace. It is tradition, after every battle won or lost.

“But if they do not wish for us to be here, then we too do not wish to force unwillingness. My Lord Commander of the Minobi, the Steward Takashi, is already in talks with the village chieftain.”  Renjiro takes one sip of warm tea, lets it comfort his aches and pains after the battle. “We only want them to be prepared should the bandits attack again, and if you wonder what benefits it brings us, then I would say that one more village fortified is one more source of potential growth for the Kirishima Province, may it be economic or otherwise. The Clan grows on the strength of its neighbors, and to boost the security of every village allows for more focus towards other things that could bring about peace and prosperity.”

“We are not looking to exploit the villagers, if that is what concerns you, sensei.” He offers Kinaro a quiet smile, catching the other man’s gaze. “You need not worry in that regard.”

Listening to the soldier he sighed and looked at Renjiro. "If you're wondering my animosity for you being here. I was in a tavern in town and the clan who held out near there liked to beat the people and rob them. I was a victim of their beatings too just for being what I am. After that I held a distaste for clans. That's also partially why I never joined a clan when they ask me." With a pause he motioned outside to the Kozui and the villagers. "You, however, are different. You actually helped the people, you helped me. You also helped these people when they called for you. Other clans came looking just for me and ignored them. If you'll forgive my earlier rudeness than I'd be grateful." As he finished the tea, he handed the cup to healer woman and stood up. "If there is no other business to attend to I have to go back to my home. You might've seen it on the way to this village. It would've looked like a large wooden shed on the side of the road." As he takes a step outside the hut he adds one more thing. "I actually have to go back home no matter what you say. I have a pet waiting for me, so if anything else needs to be said then follow me or meet me there." With that he heads to his house and walks down the road.

How strange, that answer given. Could it be that the man could read minds as well as he could wield his chosen weapon?

Renjiro decides not to pursue that line of thought, opts instead to smile warmly at the man’s next words, even as he feels his ire rising at the story of the man getting beat up by another clan’s members. “I apologize on behalf of that other clan; they should not have been given the power that they wield if they use it so cruelly,” he says, eyebrows knitting in distress. “Nevertheless, I am very glad you think us to be different from them, and I believe the Yanaihara really are different.”

They have been unfailingly kind to him, even when—that had happened.

The man stands up and explains where he is headed to next, and Renjiro’s jaw drops at the news of where the warrior is currently living in. Surely a master of a rare weapon wouldn’t be shacking up in some wooden shed? It is unthinkable.

The burgeoning curiosity leads him to blurt out, “I will visit you, sensei, if that is alright? I need only to oversee my men and then I shall come to see your abode.”

It is not long after that Renjiro finds himself walking towards Kinaro’s home, looking out the vast rolling fields that surround the road with a peaceful feeling in his chest. He has brought a few rice cakes to share with the other warrior, as a peace offering. As soon as he sees Kinaro, Renjiro waves with a giant grin.