vielle

one so skilled [yanaihara]

As Kinaro reached his home he was immediately greeted with a small black kitten meowing and pawing at his feet. With a smile he picked up the animal and placed it on his shoulder. "Hello Storm." As he walked throughout his home, he cleaned up a bit, making the small shack look tidy enough rather than cat food everywhere and dirty dishes on the table. As he cleans the cat food he also pours another small amount into the bowl and sets Storm down beside it and goes outside onto the miniature porch and sits on a chair.

Upon seeing Renjiro, Kinaro doesn't get up from his seat but rather waves back, acknowledging that he's arrived. Once the soldier makes it close, he motions to the seat beside him. "Hello. Welcome to my home." As he looks behind he stares at it for a few seconds before looking back. "Not much but it's all I need. A fully functional home with all the essentials." With a quiet smile, he accepts a rice cake, eating it slowly. He wasn't one to accept food from someone who wasn't a trader but he wasn't one to decline something like rice cake. "So what exactly brings you here? I don't have that many visitors come by except for traders to bring me essential items."

Renjiro makes himself comfortable on the seat he’s been offered by his host, sinking down with a quiet sigh that speaks of long travels and the slow unraveling after battle.

"So what exactly brings you here? I don't have that many visitors come by except for traders to bring me essential items."

“I was merely curious, is all,” he murmurs, looking about the small shack with a considering eye. The quaint room reminds him of his childhood, the simplicity of a life in the countryside. A drifter’s life, before he had ever been brought into servitude under the Yanaihara.

“Have you ever imagined yourself living in grander circumstances than,” Renjiro gestures around them, “all this? There is nothing wrong with a solitary life, but I meant—living amongst others who practice the same art as we do, to become part of a community that pursues mastery of our chosen craft. A community of warriors, if you will.”

Kinaro listened to Renjiro's words and sighed deeply. This was something he thought of before. "I've thought of many things and I've imagined them all as well. I've imagined what it would be like to be a bandit. With my reputation I would be feared by most everyone and would have a bounty on me that would make even the toughest of foes question if it's worth the fight. I've imagined what it would be like to be someone of higher status, a noble. I don't quite think that's meant for me. However I've no problem if a better opportunity were to meet it's way to me." With a pause he looked at Renjiro and smiled. "If I were to live in grander circumstances with other warriors as you mention then it would give me the opportunity I would look forward to having. I do think I'd keep my simplistic living. It's more of a choice that I live like that."

The Minobi hums, rubbing his chin in a childlike manner: a stark contrast to the armor he wears, the bearings of the noble clan he carries. Perhaps this persuading he plans to accomplish need not be a tedious task, if he plays his cards right. He is not quite the bodacious speaker or the valiant rouser, not like the Lord Commander, but he thinks he can at least let the other man know the benefits of his proposal.

“At this point, perhaps it is not a surprise that I am extending an invitation to join the ranks of the Kōzui and the Yanaihara.” Renjiro grins as he waves a hand towards the other warrior, unassuming and friendly in his stance. “We are a simple people, sensei. We live only to protect the lands and peoples of our lords and to hone our skills in the art of war. We need not live grandiose lives, though a fair number of us do acquire lives of comfort and opulence.”

The Minobi clasps his hands together, gauging the expression on the blue giant’s face as he continues. “Perhaps you may find yourself interested in living amongst us, for a start? You need not formally join us until you are certain of your decision, but I do extend the chance to visit Hekishoku Palace and the Fudōshin Dōjō.”

Kinaro listened to Renjiro as he says his invitation wasn't a surprise and chuckles slightly. "Truthfully even if this invitation was expected it still is a surprise either way." Quietly he stands up from his chair and holds his hand up as if to say 'one moment' before walking inside his home. Slowly walking around the small home he grabs a bottle of sake and comes back with two small glasses and a bottle of sake, specifically honjozo sake. With a slight smile he sets the two glasses and the very small table in between the chairs. "I have a bottle of sake I was saving for a momentous occasion. I think this would be the best time to have some seeing as I will gladly accept the invitation to go to the Hekishoku Palace. My acceptance into joining will be after I see the place for myself but with how you described this clan and it's lifestyles and desires to protect the land and it's people I think it wouldn't be too hard of a decision." With that he poured his small glass near full to the brim and drink it down in one go. 

SUMMARY

Takatsu Renjiro of the Yanaihara leads a battalion to defend a village plagued with guerilla bandits in Kirishima Province and meets Kinaro, a master of the rare kyoketsu-shoge, who he invites to join the ranks of the Yanaihara.