Asphodel

I Cannot Bear It Any Longer [completed]

@Kairon @Greenmntman

Starting Location: On the road, roughly 3 miles south from the Tavern of Legend

Evening, about 6:30pm

Evening was setting in, and the sky was a beautiful watercolor of fiery reds, yellows and purples. The dirt road was cold, near frozen under their feet as they walked; it was worn from use at least, and the ground wasn't torn up too much from passing horses or herded cattle. There was a wooded area in the distance, marking the edge of farmland and scorched battlefields. The smell of death on the air was noticeable, but not unbearable and luckily for the group the cold air was crisp, not muggy or charged with the indication of a storm.

Aster Highglenn found herself in the company of three strange people she'd met and subsequently grouped up with back at the Tavern, and though she held some trust in their abilities she couldn't say she personally felt exactly safe around them. But she'd be spending the next day, or perhaps the next few days with them as they hunted this bear. Her stomach rumbled and the faun resisted a groan; the scratches on her face stung in the freezing air, and she'd even forgotten to eat before they left. She wasn't even buzzed enough to feel loose and confident.

"Can we make camp soon? I see a wooded area up ahead, it might be a good spot to wait for the bear." Aster suggested, glancing back at the other three,

Edited by Asphodel
Finished the quest, edited the title to reflect that

39 minutes ago, Asphodel said:

@Kairon @Greenmntman

Aster Highglenn found herself in the company of three strange people she'd met and subsequently grouped up with back at the Tavern, and though she held some trust in their abilities she couldn't say she personally felt exactly safe around them. But she'd be spending the next day, or perhaps the next few days with them as they hunted this bear. Her stomach rumbled and the faun resisted a groan; the scratches on her face stung in the freezing air, and she'd even forgotten to eat before they left. She wasn't even buzzed enough to feel loose and confident.

"Can we make camp soon? I see a wooded area up ahead, it might be a good spot to wait for the bear." Aster suggested, glancing back at the other three,

Ira thought this was pretty good advice. It was getting a little late in the day, with the sun threatening to start its descent over the distant mountains. When they finally reached the edge of the woods, he found a small cascade of a brook running nearby.

"Perfect" he thought, "the water should be clean enough, and we won't have any problem with wood tonight." He could tell Ira could tell that Aidan had the same idea, he was scouting the area around him as his stomach grumbled. Ira was the first to announce it.

"This looks like a perfect camp site. Carver, if you and Aster want to grab some of that dry wood by the brook there, Aidan and I can start hauling out some dinner."

Aidan looked positively relieved to hear the day called over. He kept looking at the small bag slung over Ira's shoulder, and said, "We are down to only a little bit of food though. What do we have left, salmon, duck and a few pigs? Getting pretty low." Ira began the process of expanding the magical bag, and soon it was a circular cloth in the dirt, five feet wide in every direction with piles of meat, and ample stores of fruits and vegetables flowing over it. Buried on the side was a few small skins of whiskey, and three small canteens of rum. Ira looked at the two travelling companions he had acquired for the bear hunt.

"Seriously though, what do you want to eat?"

Aster hummed as she glanced around the campsite; the sound of the brook was calming, and the faun took a moment to stand and breath in the cool air with her velvety ears pressed back against her head. She was still a bit tense and it was cold, but the idea of a warm fire and food spurred her on. "Sure! Let's go, Carver." Aster said, heading over to start collecting some kindling for the fire. She took out one of her daggers and hacked away at a dead sapling, chopping up some slivers and logs before stripping the moss off another tree for proper kindling.

Walking back, she cleared a spot and started trying to light the fire. She glanced over at Aidan and Ira, surprise lighting her features at the bounty of food laid out before them; she supposed it wasn't much for a party of four, but the faun was still drooling over the prospect of having a nice meal. "We should fry the salmon. Does anybody have a pot? We could boil some of the vegetables too, if we've got a pot." Aster suggested. She pulled out her bag; it wasn't a magic one, so she could only fit a few items inside, but she quickly pulled out her oil lantern which thankfully came with a flint chip which she then used to spark against the rocks and light the fire.

"Ahh, warmth." Aster sighed, holding her hands over the slowly growing fire before feeding some of the slivers and logs into it. She looked around, the fire casting light over otherwise shadowed corners of the woods, and nearly jumped with surprise when she noticed a tree with long claw marks cut into its bark. "Uh? Anybody else seeing this, or is it a trick of the light?" Aster asked, standing up and trotting to the tree.

She laid one hand on the marks, frowning. Whatever made the marks had been able to cut frighteningly deep into the wood.

Ira was fishing a pot and some utensils out of his bag when he heard the comment about the claw marks. He grabbed the pot and walked over to the tree. 

“That’s no trick of the light” he thought to himself. “Yup, that’s a bear alright.” He said out loud, “Looks like a big one too. Going to have to be careful with how we dispose of our food after dinner for sure.”

He threw some husks of corn and onions into the pot and watched as they quickly came to a boil. The little faun actually had a nice little fire going quickly, but nobody could make one start roaring like he could.

Aidan sat back as he watched Ira work. He  turned to Aster and said, “Well, we’ve told you a bit about us, what’s your story?”

Aster was thankful of the confirmation the marks had been left by a bear. She rubbed her arms and shivered, both out of fear and cold; certainly a bear with claws that big would be massive and terrifying. She was glad to have some experienced warriors alongside her at least, if she was alone she wasn't sure if she'd be able to take on such a beast.

She headed back to the fire and sat down as Ira cooked, smiling as the fire sparked further to life. She glanced at Aidan, perking her ears up at his question. "My story? Well, there's not much to tell really. I grew up in a town called Hadleigh, and instead of sticking around and finding a husband when I finished school I decided to strike out on my own travel the world instead. I really want to see the ocean, and become a sailor; but I'm quite a ways off from that, so I freelance a bit to keep coin in my pockets." Aster explained, wringing her hands.

"What're you two doing around here? I heard bits and pieces back at the tavern, but back there it was a bit too hectic to sit down and listen for long." She asked, flicking one ear.

Ira eyes chunks of the fish he had added after the vegetables, and thought it smelled reasonably good. It looked boiling still, and he blew the stew off and looked at the faun after she finished.

”Smart lass. Husbands are nothing but smelly creatures that get in your way. The sea is nice but not for my taste. Either way, your welcome to come along with us and help us earn some coin.”

As he started to scoop out the stew for the others, Aidan took over.

”Long story short, our country was invaded a long time ago. We both fought for years in the war, but lost in the end. After the final battle right outside the capital city, our entire army was beat bad, and while fleeing, the two of us met. We’ve been together ever since, cracking skulls. Ira still sits pissed off, keeping himself awake at night thinking of leading ten thousand armed men back to a nation of Lydon that longer exists. Myself? I dream of the last red head I money on, and the next time I’ll see her again.”

Aidan eyed the pigs in the sack. 

“That should work there. What do you think, sling one over a tree and wait for a gingery bear to come for a meal?”

Aster flicked her ear, considering Ira's offer. She certainly wouldn't mind the company, plus he'd agreed with her hesitance in finding a husband so he got a few bonus points in her eyes. She reached out and grabbed her bowl, the stew still steaming but it smelled delicious, and listened as Aidan spoke.

"I'm so sorry, that must've been tough; fighting at war for years on end." Aster commented softly. After a nervous chuckle, she continued. "I hope you two find what you're looking for- redhead or army. I'd be happy to travel with you until our paths diverge."

She glanced at the pigs, scrunching her nose at the smell. She nodded at Aidan's suggestion. "That should work, I can lay a snare underneath it." Aster said, setting down her bowl - it was still a bit too hot for her to eat, anyways - and standing up. She headed over to one of the taller, sturdier trees and got to work; it'd been a while since she'd laid a hunting trap, but the learned motions came back to her quickly.

(Grn told me to drop in, hope you don't mind a third)

She'd been waiting for the pesky sun to sink low enough for her to leave her hiding in the safety of the shade. Sure she'd brought a parasol to solve the sun problem, but all it took was an open field and a light breeze and she would be cooked like their meal - which smelled disgusting. She'd gorged herself on a bandit camp she came across along the way so she wouldn't loose control around them. The newly blooded vampire still hadn't figured out how to control that yet, one good bloody nose and it would likely be the end of them all. 

Tracking Ira and Aiden was easy enough once she figured it out, it took a few tries but she got their scent and combined with a little midnight magic - finding them was all too easy. She begged and begged and begged her Master to let her go, just to say "hi," make sure he'd made it out alright. This was her first trip away from the Chateau with the Master's permission, she knew he let her go because he was hoping she'd kill Ira in a flash of blood lust and solve what he considered her "human problem." 

Super sensitive ears picked up on their conversation and she laughed to herself, a rather sinister sound, even after it all they were still the same old humans. With them was another, a curious sort that had a different smell than a human, even a different pulse and breathing rhythm. She wondered for a moment if it would taste any good before shaking off the notion rather forcefully. Swaying out of the bushes and being sure to stay in the shadows her feet didn't make a sound as she walked. 

"Still bitching about the same things I see." Her voice was like silk drifting in the wind. 

If Ira and Aiden looked closely they would know she wasn't the Quinn they used to know. Perhaps they wouldn't even recognize her as she was. No longer haggard and drug addicted, she didn't look emaciated anymore, she was soft and curvy. The fact exacerbated by the clothing she was wearing, simple black pants and shirt. The slave collar that once adorned her neck for the better part of two decades was gone, in its place some very nasty looking scars. Perhaps the most noticeable about the woman was the alabaster white skin with a blue tinge of the undead to it. And if one were to dare get close enough, or even look closely, they would see her silvery eyes had a blood red ring around the edge of them, pupils such a deep red they were nearly black. A trademark of who turned her. 

Sauntering the rest of the way out of the shadows she curled a lip and bared a pearly white sharp fang, the smells from the fire were just - overwhelming. Those stunningly terrifying eyes looking around and studying their camp, even the trap they were setting. 

"Hunting something I see." Her voice was a soft purr, "A bear perhaps?" 

On 6/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, Asphodel said:

"I hope you two find what you're looking for- redhead or army. I'd be happy to travel with you until our paths diverge."

She glanced at the pigs, scrunching her nose at the smell. She nodded at Aidan's suggestion. "That should work, I can lay a snare underneath it." Aster said, setting down her bowl - it was still a bit too hot for her to eat, anyways - and standing up. She headed over to one of the taller, sturdier trees and got to work; it'd been a while since she'd laid a hunting trap, but the learned motions came back to her quickly.

Ira grinned a bit as he enjoyed his soup. He always had enjoyed more company, and he liked this faun. Ten years of traveling with Aidan had only increased the desire for someone else to hold conversation with. He watched her tie the bear trap - it was a bit rudimentary but it was well done. “She’ll do” he thought.

”Nicely done” he told her when it was finished, “Now just a bit of something to wash down dinner”.

He heard someone speak up from behind him, and turned to see ... Quinn? That wasn’t possible. Frankly he didn’t have time for this. He had left her in another bad situation,  but he had more important things to deal with now than to think her. Besides, he thought, she had a slave collar around her neck before he had even met her, and this person did not.

Yet, as she walked slowly closer, she was unmistakable for anyone else - Ira would never forget the woman whom others might consider his first love. Her dark hair,  curvy figure ... pale skin that shinned in the moonlight. Ira  reaches down and drew his sword. His shield was a few feet away, and he slowly shuffled toward it. He dare not reach for it and take his eyes off of her; even as a young vampire she would be extraordinarily fast.

“Hi darling” he said to her, “I am really not sure if you look better than the last time I saw you or not.”  He thought about that for a second - it was only a few weeks ago after all. The vampire den where she told him that she had been addicted for years, that she was dying. About their child.

He felt everything about him surge - he would kill everyone of those fuckers for doing this to her. He would personally stake  himself, and he would make it a slow final rest. Then again, Quinn would have had the pain stop, the suffering end. Lord knows  that she had more than her share of that in her life. Finally after a few seconds of absolute mayhem inside of him, Ira just said,

“Hi Quinn. What the fuck are you doing here?”

Edited by Greenmntman

The faun sat back on her haunches and wiped the dirt and sweat off her forehead as she looked at the makeshift trap. "Thanks-" She started, turning around to look back at her companions and startling into silence as she saw a woman sway out of the darkness. Her ears flicked and she stood up, knowing hers was not an intimidating figure but a reminder to this beast that it was being observed by more than just Aidan and Ira.

And a beast it was. Pale skin, dark eyes, and the slightest hint of stark white fangs. And evidently, the beast knew her companions and they greeted her. Aster hummed with discomfort and reached for her blades as she made her way back into the fire's flickering light. She glanced between Ira and Aidan, uncertainty visible in her posture. Was this Quinn a friend or foe? And how long had she been tracking them for?

She bit her lip and headed towards the pig carcass, grabbing it and unsteadily picking it up before heading back towards the trap. She'd let Ira and Aidan handle their visitor for now, and perhaps there'd be introductions and explanations later.

Seeing them all go for weapons made her smile a little to herself, humans and - fawns - were so jumpy around Vamps. She vaguely remembered  her human days, when she was so terrified for her mortal being. The longer she was in this form the hazier the memories of being human became, so much suffering for so little. Her senses could taste the very tension in the air, the ripe smell of fear and uncertainty. Forgetting that things such as blinking and breathing put such weaker creatures at ease she made her chest rise and fall in a false sense of breathing. 

“Hi Quinn. What the fuck are you doing here?” - his words wounded her more than a little. 

"I didn't come here to eat you." she found herself teasing, "I came to make sure you weren't followed or killed by the master. That's quite the greeting for the Woman who is the reason you aren't looking a bit more like - well - me."  

Continuing to note the clear unease she pulled out a syringe of black looking liquid and rolled it across the ground to Ira. 

"I gorged myself on a bandit camp just south of you. I wont be hungry for a while - I think.." She said, then pointed to the syringe "That's called the goodnight kiss. Its a Vamp Tranquilizer. I used it when I was a human for  - insurance against nasty bite wounds." 

Clearly a little more than distressed of Ira's dismissal of her she let out a sigh and rolled her shoulders in an attempt to push off the unease. Perhaps this is what her master meant by fixing her "human problem," a cruel but important lesson that Ira really did not love her - and could not lover her - especially as she was now. 

"I'd offer to help but its obvious you don't want it." She was shaking her head and backing away slowly as to not make any of them anymore nervous than they already were. 

Ira lowered his sword and wearily bent over to grab the syringe. "This will do" he said. "Forgive me if I act a little nervous when I see my best friend appear out of thin air in the middle of the woods, only now she has fangs. Yet, if you already ate supper, I suppose you can sit down here with us." Ira swept his hand outward towards the far side of the fire. "This is my new friend, Aster, and yes, there are reports of an absolutely massive bear in the area. They are offering a reward at the tavern for its pelt."

Aiden took a moment to sit back down and said to Quin as he did so, "I guess the cure Ira mentioned you were working on wasn't as good as he hoped. Sorry to see you like this kid."

Ira pondered for a moment, that if this bear was as large as the rumors had it, they might actually be grateful to have a vampire in tow. "You know, if you wanted to help us fight the thing, and test out your new abilities, your welcome to come along."

Edited by Greenmntman
Not sure why the formatting is terrible, but it won't let me change it.

Aster flicked her ear, listening in as her companions spoke to the beast. She heaved the pig carcass over a low-hanging branch above her snare, grunting from the effort and holding it there until she was sure she'd positioned it where it wouldn't fall. Stepping back she rubbed her hands on her pants to clean them off, before turning back towards the fire. She watched the vampire - Quinn? Ira had mentioned her name earlier - for a few moments before glancing at Aidan and Ira. Both seemed calmer, and were even offering to let the vampire stick around to help with the bear hunt.

She didn't see too much wrong with letting Quinn stay, so long as she behaved herself. Aster wasn't sure if Quinn would like the taste of her blood, but there was an undercurrent of worry for her human friends who were probably a lot more tasty. "Yeah, you can stick around and help- uh, if you'd like?" Aster offered tentatively. "If you guys trust her, then I'm all for it." Aster said, directing her words to Aidan and Ira as she spoke.

I guess she didn't really ask to be a vampire, Aster thought as she tried to rationalize letting Quinn stick around. The faun was still obviously a bit nervous and shaken, but she made her way back to the fire and sat down once more. "Nothing more to do now except wait." She murmured under her breath, glancing back at the trap.

Quin tentatively but gracefully coming closer would sit down on an upturned log. Her strange eyes would regard the fawn with interest, trust was most certainly the wrong word to use around a newly blooded vampire. Especially this one that decimated quite a few villages when her ‘keeper’ hadn’t kept proper eyes on her. She thought a moment, quicker than most, but for her it was a moment. Could she stay out any longer? The master would likely be growing impatient, “You’ve seen your humans, now come home.” She could imagine his growling at her. But if she could bring back a dead bear - well that would provide something interesting for her research - Otto did need a pet after all. 

“Trust is a dangerous word around someone like me.” Quin’s Silky voice slid over them all, almost trance like, “I am here and I am as docile as a well fed catamount. I will get hungry again, and don’t think one such as you would taste bad to me.”

Her words were directed at the fawn, then she let out a sigh and leaned back for a moment. 

“Though if Aiden is his usual self -“ She chuckled, “It’s far more likely I’ll shred him first - you all can get away if that happens.” 

Clearly a joke, though it might be mistaken for a threat, she was unaware of that. Her sense of humor had changed so much since she’d shed her mortal coil. 

“I’ll help if I can keep the bear carcass.” She said, “And if we can keep it as intact as possible. You can have the pelt or whatever you humans prize. But I want the car as, head and all. I cannot stay out this long and not present my Master with something to show for it or he will send my keeper after me. That wont end well for any of us.” 

Her strange eyes stared them all down for a long moment, “If not - I’ll have to return as quickly as possible to keep that from happening to any of us.” 

She wasn’t going to tell the humans she planned to bring the dead bear back to life with her masters blood - no that would likely gross them out. But her master might like an undead bear he could control. That would certainly make him happy. 

On 7/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, DarkHorse said:

“Trust is a dangerous word around someone like me.”

“Though if Aiden is his usual self -“ She chuckled, “It’s far more likely I’ll shred him first - you all can get away if that happens.” 

Ira twitched slightly at this. Trust was a strong word, and quite frankly, it wasn't the right one. Aidan took it more personally and re-raised the sword he had let rest of the dirt.

"Darling, I've killed lots of humans over years of war. You've been a vamp for 15 minutes. I think I'd be alright."

Ira glared at him for taking such easy bait. Always sensitive. 

"I know how dangerous vampires are Quinn, that's why I am still holding the ax. And while I sincerely don't want to use it, the silver tipping on it is a great equalizer."

All of this was true - he had a friend a long time ago who was a vampire that served with him during the war. Ira had always thought it rather odd, someone who would live forever worrying about things like the political conflicts of men.  Ira couldn't argue with his reasoning though, that he had spent a half of a century in those lands, and if anyone had an interest in making sure that the nation was taken care of, it was him. Ira remembered that he was drastically faster than the average man and had been great in a fight. Ira tried to shake the memory off. Thinking of him as a friend was dangerous, vampires didn't have human friends. And either way, he hadn't been fast enough to prevent the stake through the heart. 

Ira picked up the flask of firewater and enjoyed some for himself. A drink was always good when heading into dangerous situations.

"Well, if we are on a time crunch, and you two promise to play nice, I wouldn't suppose that you could figure out where this thing is?" He turned to the faun, and realized that he knew damn near nothing about their kind.

"What do you think? How good are you folks at seeing in the dark? Better than us I hope."