SteamWarden

In dire need of help

THE FOREST

The forest was quiet. The wind blew softly through the trees and the animals roamed about peacefully. All was going well until a portal opened up somewhere above the tree line that shot a creature towards the ground. The creature wielded an axe and was entirely lycanthropic. As the lycan plummeted to ground he stuck his axe into a tree and slowed to a stop just to reach the bottom. 

On the ground the lycan sat on a log looking around. This was a new land than before but the same world. Either way he knew he had to be here. He heard of a creator of creatures of sorts and called for his help. He just hoped the letter reached the fella in time otherwise he might be waiting here for days. As he waited he heard the voice in his mind again. 

'You're in the forests of Alterion. Remember Ragnar, the creatures on this planet are far from safe. The lesser creatures are capable of being taken on alone but the more dangerous ones, not even you can take alone. Don't be headstrong and pick a fight you can't take. I altered the letter you sent to the creature creator to specify you need a companion. A large dangerous creature that would fit with your wolf side. A direwolf. Listen to what he says and you will have a companion that you'll be happy to have. Oh and I suggest you transform back unless you want to confuse the man.'

Ragnar nodded and tensed up as his body transformed itself back. The transformation back always makes him exhausted so he tiredly got some materials and built a small makeshift bed a few branches above him and went to rest. He'd definitely need it later.

@Rabbit

Chi held the letter in his hands as he walked through the forest, keeping his head low. His journey had not been the most pleasant one, loosing both his main and back up mount to the creatures of Alterion forest. Tho a frequent destination, it never ceased to amaze him what could happen. Whether it be a pack of wolves or getting stuck between two wurms battling it out for territory. The letter was beyond the formality and quality of his usual clients, which was usually a plead for a godly summon reeking of alcohol. 

'Hmm, a direwolf. This one obviously has good taste, oh how I love the classics. Everyone nowadays wants draconic creatures and flying mounts. This takes me back to the days of the war clan!'  The old timer was fond of wolfs, having been the companion of choice in his war clan. 

"Shaa?" His companion questioned, the little green goblin scratched his head in confusion.

"No clue, Shaka. But to receive such an offer in such a way is something I refuse to miss out on, even it does risk an arm or two." The duo continued walking in silence for what seemed like forever, doing their best to stick to the map whilst avoiding unwanted predators. 

'Okay, so I should be just go aro...' The badgerfolk was snapped out of his thought by a sudden intense scent. 'Wolves?.....No, just a wolf'

He followed the scent, slow and quiet. Curious of what he could smell, fearful of what it could be. It'd been a long since he's smelled something with this power, a long long time. Through the brush he could just make out a man, fitting the description of the letter. He approached the sleeping man, trying to figure out what he was. Poking his feet with the end of his polearm, he'd tried to wake the sleeping giant.

"It's been a long time since I've smelled someone like you, wolves linger on you as if it's woven into your skin. The names Chinafel, I'm guessing your Ragnar." He raised his paw for a handshake, hoping not to be sent flying by the warrior. 

The dreams were nothing more than a dream. The only thing that came to Ragnar in his dream was but a messenger delivering a letter with only a few words on it. The first word was a name, Fenris. The next word was a weapon, Mjolnir. And the last word was simply awaken. With the reading of the word his eyes opened and felt something hard poke his foot. As he looked down he saw a badgerfolk. 'Odd little guy. … Wait wasn't the creature maker named Chinafel.' As he realized the badgerfolk was the creature maker he chuckled a small. 'I guess you never assume.'

Quietly Ragnar shook the badgerfolk's hand and nodded at his remark. "You'd be right. I am lycan. I take it you're the creature maker. How does that work? And how do they get made? I figured a direwolf wouldn't be easy to make." He looked around and smelled the air. The smells of creatures were very strong but one thing he didn't smell was wolves. At least not nearby. "Also what's the little guy beside you? Is that your creature companion?" He's never seen something quite like it. It wielded a sword and had an odd looking helmet which appeared to be made from some sort of fruit or vegetable. The two were definitely an odd traveling duo but they certainly weren't the strangest.

'Full of questions aren't we?'

Chi was glad to hear of his honesty, too many of his clients held secrets that came back to bite him. Now the man was stood up and closer, Chinafel could get a better look at the giant. Cladded in thick armor and wielding an axe bigger than the badgerfolk himself, he appeared a formidable fighter. Regardless, he felt comfortable with the viking.

"Ahh, you'll make surviving these woods easier. Yes, I'm the creature creator. I'll be at your service. Very little gets past my nose, so it's good to know you're an honest character. This here is Shaka, my first summon and closest ally. Don't let his appearance fool you, he is very reliable." He stopped for a minute to think of how he could explain his craft, especially in a way that didn't sound too creepy. 

"As for how it's made, that's pretty simple. Provide me the material, I'll create a body, or shell if you will, which will act as a physical form. I'll then create a power source which will provide energy to this body, the stronger the power source the better. Once complete, a soul will take hold and you have a companion. The material used will affect the nature of the soul which takes host, so pick wisely. As for difficulty, creating a direwolf is not to hard, rather acquiring the materials is."

Chi pulled out his notes, showing them to his client. Along the paper was a brief study and diagram of a direwolf, listing anatomical and traits in comparison to its smaller cousin, the wolf. "As you can see, creating something of this size and power will require at least 6 wolf pelts, a heart, powersource and essence. Creating it should only take a day, given the pelts and heart are up to standard."

Putting away his notes, he looked up to the man. "However, I still need to know one thing. What do you plan to use for the powersource and essence?"

'A man of your caliber must have something good.'

As Ragnar listened to the badgerfolk explain the process and when Chi talked about a powersource and essence for the direwolf. The essence would be easy enough but a powersource would be a bit difficult. "Let's focus on the wolves first." He smelled the air but still couldn't smell any canine scents. "Well I guess the best option for finding a predator is use a bait. Got any idea for these lands? Not from this world so I'm not too sure what creatures roam." It was his best bet to ask the badgerfolk anything about the creatures. For all he knew that the food chain here was that man was at the bottom or that the prey have a very deadly defense system that could kill. It was probably best to let the creature maker lead and he'll just follow. 

"Got it, one step at a time." Chi scratched his beard, contemplating the best place to hunt such beasts. Wolves are usually very territorial, but with larger creatures roaming they may be pushed back. Even a mighty pack can be forced to move, so finding a packs core might be difficult. 

"There's a watering hole west of here, it's the quietest one by far. I've camped near it from time to time, a pack have shown up to drink three to four times from what I remember. We'll head there to find tracks, maybe set bait around the area itself and wait. It's only a thirty or so minute walk." Chi pulled out his compass and began heading west, the calm weather should encourage predators to hunt. 

'Nice weather, midday and not to many large creatures around. Should be prime hunting time for them.'

As Ragnar followed Chi he kept his hand on his greatsword. If he learned one thing about being in the wilderness is that one should vigilant, especially if the creatures here are things he's been advised to not fight. A thirty minute walk was going to be a little while so a conversation wouldn't hurt. 'What to talk about? He's a badgerfolk. I never seen one before so I can't exactly tell if he's young or old. He wields a staff so he seems like he's able to defend himself.' Quietly he sighed and shook his head. He knew he was just over thinking this. "So what led you to this do line of occupation? Most folks I see either do things related to their best skill. Blacksmiths, warriors, enchanters, shaman. Your job sounds a fair bit different than those. You create creatures and offer this job to just about others. Some people I know would rather offer this kind of stuff to just close acquaintances or no one." He looked down at Chi to see his reaction. For all he knows he just hit a sensitive topic or something that he doesn't like discussing.

The vikings questions weren't the usual, but carried logic. It was true magic does not come naturally to badgerfolk, nor craftsmanship. Chinafel in his years had found himself questioning his own choices, especially his job. "Pretty simple, I enjoy my craft. It's true I started out as warrior in my clan, me and my brothers always found ourselves in fights and skirmishes for territory. It started simply as a pass time in the middle of war, there was plenty of it. I started with whittling small sculptures, slowly learned some enchanting from passing wizards and then Shaka was made. A complete accident, but I couldn't help but push the boundaries of magic further. I found I could give life to things by encourage the movement of souls, and it all started with whittling." The old timer found himself rambling on about his youth and various creations, only snapping out once he realized how much time had passed. "So, tell me. Why do you want a direwolf? I've only ever met one other lycan, it was on the Badlands during a territorial depute. Your kind is beyond formidable, I'd never figured one would need help." Chi looked back to the battle of the Badlands, a truly engaging and extensive one at that. 

Ragnar listened to Chi speak about his past and then asked about him. Yes, he is lycan but no, he is not kin to lycan of this world. It's true lycan are a force to be reckoned with but even the most deadly force has it's limits. 'I guess it's time to do some explaining.' He inhaled deeply before releasing the air into a sigh. "Well the lycan you know about are not similar to what I am. As I said before, I'm not from this world. To be pretty blunt, I'm tri-blooded. I'm a mix of man, wolf, and god. Yes it may seem confusing as to why someone with my blood and capabilities would need help. Only one way to explain it. Everyone has their limits. I travel alone, and that means I'm vulnerable to being outnumbered, which happens more often than not. The only problem with being outnumbered is that strength and magic only goes so far. I'm no strategist so I need the help." He paused and smiled. "Plus a companion to call a friend is always nice. Even if the companion is as tall, if not taller, than me and could rip a bear to shreds."

"Good prep and smart choices, good signs you may have a brighter future than most. Can't honestly say I've met a god, or know much about them, maybe you'll be my insight to this strange world." The mans word were definitely shocking, to be walking side by side with a partial god wasn't something that happened to the elder daily. "All to true, my many journeys have lead me down lonely paths. As much as this little goblin can be annoying, he's always loyal." Chi gave his companion a quick glance, only to see him attempting to kill a butterfly. "Tho he was my first project and I've definitely gotten better. We all need back up sometimes, this hunt will be a perfect testament to this." The two had finally made it to the large open body of water, surrounding the watering hole was nothing but woodlands. The layout was basic, perfect for setting traps. "Okay, how would you like to go about this?"

Ragnar saw the body of water and smelled the air. He smelled wolf and they weren't that far either. Probably coming to get some water to drink. Very quietly he walked back and hid behind a tree. His plan was to use Chinafel as bait due to how close the wolves were. Getting a dead animal would take to long and by then the wolves would be gone and to track a full pack of wolves to their den would likely mean death for most in the party if not everyone. Slowly he crouched down and listened intensely. He's hoping the badgerfolk is too busy talking that he didn't notice.

"Okay, how would you like to go about this?"

Carefully he placed his hands on the handles of his greatsword and his battleaxe, preparing for both Chinafel to realize what's happened and the wolves to smell what is probably a panicked badger and goblin. As he examined the best plan of action for subduing the wolves he noticed a decent sized log between him and Chinafel. 'Okay. Roar, scare the wolves, kick the logs towards Chinafel and shout to him to duck, pray to the gods the wolves lunge at him to get their food.'

He looked over the body of water, the smell of wolf lingered around the edges. He examined the dirt for tracks, but found very little. "Hmm, well maybe set up some trips wires and caltrops. Maybe try and hoax them through a narrow point, take out the weakened one then focus on the rest." He muttered on for a while longer, only stopping once the smell of wolves began to get stronger. The sudden sound of multiple footsteps sprinting towards him could be heard from the right, as he looks over a wolf's teeth were heading straight towards him. He drew his spear, ready to impale to beast. 

The second the wolves lunged for Chinafel, Ragnar immediately roared loudly, the roar sounding that of a werewolf. The roar itself froze the wolves in their tracks, minus the one already in the air lunging for Chi, and due to the magical sense of this roar if Chi's summon wasn't intelligent enough it would cower in fear or run in terror as well. After he roared, he shouted at Chinafel, while running to him. "Duck! Now!" With that command being shouted out he threw his weapons behind the wolves in an attempt to fear them even further before kicking the log at them. Any wolf not smart enough to run by now would struck face first with a log double their weight. Luckily for Ragnar half the wolves were too frightened to run or fight and unluckily the other three wolves lunged at him and Chinafel. Without his weapons he'd have to resort to magic which would ruin the pelts. This would be a fight he'd have to do with his fists and with thick enough sticks.

A roar followed by a command took place all in the span of what felt like a second. Chinafel ducked, the sounds of wood cracking against bone echoed as the log sent the wolf flying. "I HOPE YOU KNOW THE PRICE IS GOING UP FOR THAT!" The elder bellowed at his client. Unfortunately he wasn't getting anymore time to complain, as three more wolves came racing toward them. Chi raised his paw, emitting a fireball which shot towards the beasts. It landed just before the wolves, exploding and leaving a scorched mark in the dirt. Two of the wolves stopped in fear, whilst the biggest kept the charge going. Reeling back his arm, he hurled his spear. It punctured straight threw the wolf's eye, dropping it dead instantly. Now weaponless, the badgerfolk unsheathed his claws ready for the next wave. "If you're gonna aim somewhere, aim for the head. The main part I need is the pelt of the torso, as long as I have two intact face pelts we should be good."

As Ragnar rushed in to help Chinafel all he heard was the price was going up for this plan. 'Oh well. Money's money.' As he rushed past the firebolt the badgerfolk sent forward he grabbed his axe and held it to the sky, before slamming it directly into the ground and the remaining wolves alive had a lightning bolt sent through their skull. The lightning itself didn't sing any fur but was rather just an extreme bolt of electricity. 

After the fight ended, Ragnar looked at Chinafel and chuckled. "Damn I'm getting too old for this." As he looked at the corpses around them, he looked at his blades. "Got a skinning knife? I don't have any weapons small than what I have now." 

Edited by SteamWarden