amenities

What is your favorite type of RP?

This is a thread where users, old and new, come and say which type of RP they're most interested in. I'll lay out a few categories just so you can whet your mind on how the different genres can work.

1. Fighting
  2. Adventure
  3. Romance
  4. Party/Gala
  5. Horror

My favorite kinds of RP are fighting and horror, because I like to explore the sci-fi, physical, dark elements of writing. What are yours!

Not to say I don’t enjoy anything else, but small slice-of-life threads have special appeal to me. Yes, it’s filler, but I find them enjoyable. They tickle me. 

It can be fun to explore a character outside of their vocation or strict genre for the sake of humanizing and grounding them. Makes them more personable and believable, or three-dimensional, if you will. 

Edited by Roen

I personally like adventure or action RPs myself, though I prefer mine to be a more lighthearted, action-packed romp (think say, something out of an 80's action movie type of premise) that runs on fun and rule of cool, rather than being all dark and gritty and brutal.

Horror has to be mine since it's the genre I grew up most in and there's something exciting and skin crawling about writing a visceral scene involving a horrible monster or abhorrent environments.

6. Comedy

Wait, what do you mean that's not a genre of its own? Okay, FINE.

Adventure would be number one, partially because it's the most broad category. There can be fighting, horror and even romance (technically, though I've still not seen it happen in any adventure RP I've been in), as well as comedy (if your fellow players aren't so frickin' serious all the time) within an adventure RP.

I don't mind throwing in slice-of-life threads too, as those also have opportunities for humor, as well as character development and relationship building. If you string together in an arc alongside more actiony RPs, or just have one long RP that takes place over a longer time period and shifts back and forth between the quest and more casual character activities, that works too.

Guest TheMinecrafter

Slice of life.

Cause well its an adventure in itself

If we can make “slice of life as a palate cleanser between moments of high drama and intense action” then I’ll take that. The comedy is implied by the contrast if nothing else. I LOVED the scene when the DBZ characters had to get their drivers licenses. LOVED IT 

9 minutes ago, supernal said:

If we can make “slice of life as a palate cleanser between moments of high drama and intense action” then I’ll take that. The comedy is implied by the contrast if nothing else. I LOVED the scene when the DBZ characters had to get their drivers licenses. LOVED IT 

I've never seen DBZ, but I agree that comedy seems to shine when juxtaposed with a more serious scenario. At it's height (it's since jumped the shark), Red Vs. Blue had some actually very good, rather dark stories, but yet the characters were still just a bunch of immature morons bumbling through the universe half-accidentally defeating the villains.

That said, sometimes not even bothering with the serious premise can work too. Think an RP that's like Monty Python and the Holy Grail (not in literal setting, but in the sense of pure nonsensicalness). Sometimes it's just fun to let loose and be ridiculous.

Like that one RP I'm in where one of the party members released a blob of sentient goo to combat a giant anglerfish-cat hybrid, only to have the former absorb the latter both in body and disposition, which resulted in everyone being chased into a cave, running into a Gollum like creature, which led them to a mad scientist base, where they ran into more monsters, then ran into another monster, which then started fighting the other monsters, then the blob showed up and everyone escaped the base while the scientist blew it up in an attempt to kill the blob, only for everyone to promptly be kidnapped by a giant cyclops while they were trying take a breather... ALL the while being chased around by an amateur wizard that shoots curses at them.

Edited by Tyler