amenities

What is your favorite type of RP?

My favorite type of roleplay honestly and truly excels genres/categories and is simply a roleplay that is good.

I very, very rarely have done romance but I've had great ones. I love roleplay combat, it's its own beast, and that is a downright favorite. Scary roleplays are hard to come by but I've been in a couple of good ones. You name the genre and I've more than likely been in roleplays that have aced said genre. I've roleplayed as myself more than once. I've fought as Sephiroth against two other Sephiroth's. I've clashed lightsabers, robbed banks, catalogued flowers and sipped tea on the moon. Where roleplay is concerned there is no limit to the imagination and thus no restriction on favored genre.

I've long since been a fan of the adage: "I don't choose the genre. I let the genre choose me." It's a sentiment that basically means writing anything and letting its themes and categories and whatsuch enter the mix as they will, rather than choosing a genre and then writing it out.

I've been in a couple of superbly awesome roleplays that everyone just winged, going from party to adventure to mystery to action as the story demanded, without any preemptive consideration as to what genre would be chosen.

Yet, a less verbose answer is simply 'Adventure'. Adventure, to me, can encompass just about any other genre you can think of. Let's face it, an adventure can have action, mystery, fighting, romance, suspense and a packet of peanuts.

1 hour ago, Die Shize said:

Yet, a less verbose answer is simply 'Adventure'. Adventure, to me, can encompass just about any other genre you can think of. Let's face it, an adventure can have action, mystery, fighting, romance, suspense and a packet of peanuts.

This is true. But likewise romance can have mystery. Mystery can have adventure. Adventure can have romance. A western can focus on the guns or on the setting; can be more about the natural life or can have aliens or AI in it. So it’s definitely less about the capabilities of genre and more which one you have personally and individually come to gravitate towards through the anecdote of your own life 

So by that same token any of them can be good or bad, quality of play isn’t the domain of any particular genre. It’s about which one your particular set of circumstances has led you to pick as having a higher degree of frequency for generating good play vs other 

Sounds like adventure is the one but I just wanted to clarify that. 

3 minutes ago, supernal said:

This is true. But likewise romance can have mystery. Mystery can have adventure. Adventure can have romance. A western can focus on the guns or on the setting; can be more about the natural life or can have aliens or AI in it. So it’s definitely less about the capabilities of genre and more which one you have personally and individually come to gravitate towards through the anecdote of your own life 

So by that same token any of them can be good or bad, quality of play isn’t the domain of any particular genre. It’s about which one your particular set of circumstances has led you to pick as having a higher degree of frequency for generating good play vs other 

Sounds like adventure is the one but I just wanted to clarify that. 

I guess I’ve just been too all over the place to have a genre preference lol. I’ve started a genre-specific thread for it to dynamically change into other genres as the thread goes on, or I’ve joined other threads that have also shifted, and I never really concerned myself with what genre I’m writing to in turn enjoy writing—I just stuck with and enjoyed what came my way!

29 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

I guess I’ve just been too all over the place to have a genre preference lol. I’ve started a genre-specific thread for it to dynamically change into other genres as the thread goes on, or I’ve joined other threads that have also shifted, and I never really concerned myself with what genre I’m writing to in turn enjoy writing—I just stuck with and enjoyed what came my way!

That’s definitely the way to play it. And is in fact for me one of the primary draws of roleplay. That spontaneous mutability of it all. Even if I like westerns enough to start 100 of them a year, being open to exploring where those go is the kind of thing that keeps things fresh enough to support doing 100 of them a year 

Just now, amenities said:

This is what aetherpunk summons to mind

AnotherGraciousIndianabat-size_restricte

I wanted what aetherpunk sounded like and I definitely don't want that. Conclusion = we're on different pages of very different books

I will leave you to it sir . . . godspeed

6 minutes ago, supernal said:

I wanted what aetherpunk sounded like and I definitely don't want that. Conclusion = we're on different pages of very different books

I will leave you to it sir . . . godspeed

Idkk my book is pretty big

On a note related to but separate from aetherpunk, I thoroughly enjoyed running the steampunk Tia for many years. The stuff you can do with steampunk is virtually endless. You can favor the steam-driven side of it and go super medieval, or you can err on the side of technology and get really intense with the inventions. I like the industrial, city noir factors that steampunk can offer to a story.

@supernal my jokesiness comes from a lack of understanding about Aetherpunk.

What is that?

31 minutes ago, amenities said:

On a note related to but separate from aetherpunk, I thoroughly enjoyed running the steampunk Tia for many years. The stuff you can do with steampunk is virtually endless. You can favor the steam-driven side of it and go super medieval, or you can err on the side of technology and get really intense with the inventions. I like the industrial, city noir factors that steampunk can offer to a story.

@supernal my jokesiness comes from a lack of understanding about Aetherpunk.

What is that?

My "apparently" when I first brought up the term was to showcase the fact that it's a new term for me. So idk! I had just encountered it then and all I know about it is what I said basically

18 hours ago, supernal said:

My "apparently" when I first brought up the term was to showcase the fact that it's a new term for me. So idk! I had just encountered it then and all I know about it is what I said basically

Maybe like steampunk, but instead of steam powering the tech it's clouds?

16 minutes ago, amenities said:

Maybe like steampunk, but instead of steam powering the tech it's clouds?

It was described as steampunk plus magic. So that tells me that the genre of steampunk usually doesn’t have magic by its own definition and then you add magical elements to it 

Following that I arrive at something like Full Metal Alchemist