amenities

What is your favorite type of RP?

1 minute ago, Lady Gilaen said:

Mystery

Someone did a murder mystery on the site once. Other than that and the “mist-erious” spires arc I partially ran I haven’t seen many mystery oriented roleplay spring up. Have you been in any / many?

Not as many as I would like, but the handful of times I’ve played it were really fun imo. Or they were for a while at least; I think some of the people I wrote with at the time just weren’t accustomed to the slow build needed for suspense and all that. Things would just get resolved too quickly and conveniently for my taste, but ah well. It was all old Gaia stuff though, I haven’t participated in any mystery stories here. 

I still love Mystery/Horror, Sci-fi/Horror, Medical/Horror, Romance/Comedy/Horror, Zombie/Sci-fi/Horror, And High-Fantasy/Horror.

Romance/Comedy is my thing TOO!!! i'm weak at it, but I can freestyle it!!

I love Horror movies and I'm trying to get my hand on EVERYTHING written by HP Lovecraft, since I am thinking about doing a Cthulu Mythos RP soon after I get the Project Rembrandt RP off the friggin ground.

I cannot get into Steam-Punk RP; it just BORES me. I like leaving questions that leave to even MORE questions, which is why my sister and I have been writing Third World Tales since 1985!!! The Universal War depends on if Rembrandt can be stopped. I'd have to explain everything and it would take about three YEARS to do so.

I might do a Comic World for THird World Tales, Post-Apocalyptic on here when she gets, or erm, when I can BUY her Naturally Speaking Dragon Suite!! But since I got a JOB NOW ( I LOVE THAT WORD, J-O-B!! WHOOT WHOOT!!) I should make it a Christmas Present.

benny

On 7/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, supernal said:

“Aetherpunk” apparently is steampunk + magic. Which I mean. It intrigues. Cut me off a piece of that 

This anthology probably constitutes aetherpunk.

Final Fantasy VI is also aetherpunk, imo. I'd say it's less steampunk + magic, and more steampunk + magic as a concrete force that can be harnessed and interfaced with. Magic in steampunk is usually more of an occult affair -- something along the lines of Theosophy or Lovecraft. In contrast, aetherpunk would see magic utilized as much as technology, either in combination (Final Fantasy VI) or in contrast (Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura). I don't think aetherpunk is really treated as distinct from steampunk, although in a lot of applications it really could be. 

For my money, I'd break them down as:

1. Steampunk generally uses the supernatural akin to how Gaiman does -- mystical, occult, and generally left as a mystery that slowly alters the story and dislocates it from reality.

2. Aetherpunk uses the supernatural more like Brandon Sanderson -- systemic, definable, and usable, as an accepted part of the world that is broadly known.

The fact that they aren't treated as distinct probably comes from the fact that aetherpunk isn't really common. Magic is almost always occult or esoteric in settings where the technology is approaching or exceeding the modern world, and aetherpunk is a small slice of an already small spectrum. 

As for roleplay: I most enjoy fighting, slice of life and adventure -- my ideal roleplay milieu is basically a shounen anime. 

49 minutes ago, supernal said:

I haven’t done enough of it but I think I’d like exploring something like wuxia and / or some classic kung fu movie type storylines 

If you wanna build up some reference material for that sort of thing, I highly recommend checking out Thunderbolt Fantasy. It admittedly leans more on xianxia territory, but still a fun romp and can give a good feel for the sort of shenanigans to get up to

1 minute ago, Meraxa said:

If you wanna build up some reference material for that sort of thing, I highly recommend checking out Thunderbolt Fantasy. It admittedly leans more on xianxia territory, but still a fun romp and can give a good feel for the sort of shenanigans to get up to

I absolutely do 

Is that a movie or a graphic novel or? 

Also what’s that new term?

5 minutes ago, supernal said:

I absolutely do 

Is that a movie or a graphic novel or? 

Also what’s that new term?

Puppet show performed in a traditional Taiwanese fashion, as a Japanese produced spinoff of an existing Pili franchise that's been a staple of Taiwanese television for years. It usually gets listed on 'anime' sites like Crunchyroll because there's not exactly a lot of places to place that stuff in a western context.

Also, while 'wuxia' is often treated as a catch-all term for East Asian fantasy, there's actually a bit of a scale. 'Wuxia' tends to cover more martial arts heavy, 'realistic' stories set in medieval settings chiefly concerning political intrigue, blood ties, epic struggles for revenge, the honour of warring schools of martial arts, so on. The sort of stuff Jin Yong wrote and codified. However, more recently the term 'xianxia' has been used to ascribe the more supernaturally inclined end of the spectrum, concerning the activities of those who are either gods themselves, or in the service of gods, fighting demonic entities that might threaten the stability of the world, or going on incredible quests for powerful, lost treasures... while also often dealing with political intrigue, revenge, honour, etc.

Here's the opening scene from Thunderbolt Fantasy:

As a minor note: The subs use the Mandarin reading of the character's names, while the audio is the Japanese dub which thus uses Japanese readings of the same characters, because a lot of of Kanji is derived from the Chinese character set. So the main character, 殤不患, can be read in Mandarin Chinese as Shāng Bù Huàn, while in Japanese his name - using the same characters - is read as Shou Fu Kan.