amenities

Do you RP just for love of RPing, or do you have a love for writing?

Do you RP on Val mostly because you love roleplay, or mostly because you love writing?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you RP on Val mostly because you love roleplay, or mostly because you love writing?

• I write out RP mostly because I love RP!
    • I write out RP mostly because I love writing!

I think it's obvious that everyone here has a love for writing in some capacity, this being the medium through which we RP. But are you doing this more because you like the construct of RP, of putting yourself in another character's shoes and living their adventures? Or do you do this mostly because you have writing aspirations that you can foster through RPing through writing?

Cast your vote and discuss!

I RP to imagine different situations! Writing is just the easiest medium for me to play it out. If drawing was easier I would do drawing, if acting was easier I would act, but writing is the simplest for me personally.

I do like writing, but never considered fiction writing as a job. I suck at motivating myself in solo writing lol (based on the numerous stories I started myself and never got past two chapters in. ?)

I love writing. Even though I'm horrible at it. I like to do rp alot since it helps with writing my books at times. And because I write alone,  helps me write rps by myself as well. 

I just love to write 

5 hours ago, jaistlyn said:

I RP to imagine different situations! Writing is just the easiest medium for me to play it out. If drawing was easier I would do drawing, if acting was easier I would act, but writing is the simplest for me personally.

I do like writing, but never considered fiction writing as a job. I suck at motivating myself in solo writing lol (based on the numerous stories I started myself and never got past two chapters in. ?)

I think the type of RP I prefer most is actually phone/video chat RP. Like I don't have to go anywhere, don't have to wiggle my fingers on the keyboard, just talk and chill.

It just so happens that I RP because I love writing the most. Nothing is off the table for me; if I'm not good at it I always ask for feedback am determined to get there. However like you said, the hardest part is getting the thing down at first! I'm actually looking for the RPers who RP to write, because I've always enjoyed a certain conversatory dynamic with people who appreciate writing. Like what did you think of my alteration or how is my wording here, was this metaphor dope or stupid? I also really like using the sense of smell but don't enough.

I feel like the ones who are focused on RP can sometimes be amazing writers for the simple fact that they're dedicated to the detail and not held up on the "writing intricacies," that can come across sloppy when experimented with. The simple utility in RP writing is so attractive to me that I sometimes question the way my fiction should sound. But Idk how much you would engage with the questions I listed above, or if that appreciation is even all that separate from a writer's perspective either. since the goal of an ideal RPer imo is to both inform and enchant and so kind of is the ideal writer's. DO YOU ENJOY MY METAPHORS @jaistlyn

48 minutes ago, Rin said:

I love writing. Even though I'm horrible at it. I like to do rp alot since it helps with writing my books at times. And because I write alone,  helps me write rps by myself as well. 

I just love to write 

Nah you're not horrible! I love writing for the simple fact that you can be whatever kind of writer you want. If you're really dedicated to your product, no matter what it turns out as, if you finish it it can be pretty in your own way. Even Tommy Wiseau's movie "The Room" got a really popular remake! Just shows that if you do the thing, you'll get some zing.

39 minutes ago, Malintzin said:

Mostly for lore and RP, honestly. I like to write when I fancy it, but I enjoy brainstorming ways to introduce and reintroduce lore.

Lore is dope. I did not appreciate that until I had like actual years of it that built off of each other. You can come up with all the badass sounding stuff and places you want, but if you didn't acquire it or develop it at all then it's so two dimensional and bland, at least to me. I'm trying to get all these thread history posts done in all my user lore stuff like organizations and people. A tidy list of links and short summaries really tells a story when it's all laid out.

1 hour ago, amenities said:

Lore is dope. I did not appreciate that until I had like actual years of it that built off of each other. You can come up with all the badass sounding stuff and places you want, but if you didn't acquire it or develop it at all then it's so two dimensional and bland, at least to me. I'm trying to get all these thread history posts done in all my user lore stuff like organizations and people. A tidy list of links and short summaries really tells a story when it's all laid out.

@Csl Has a very nice timeline for that very thing. I keep mine (and will kick myself with the overhaul of updates I need to make to it) in a thread in the userlore, broken up into sagas.

I'm also hoping that with these new landing pages, I can condense all the really important stuff into an organized spot and shift the excess to lore articles people can browse instead of being overwhelmed. It's something I've agonized over for a little over a year and finally just started going at it. I've been minimizing my personal life and I'm learning to do that with my lore as well. It's cathartic!

@_@ Also daunting but not impossible. Most of the LPs are done and I have the lore. Just need to pick a day to sit down and really tackle the tangled mess and sort through what to really showcase lorewise and what can be read later.

Even that dinky little airship quest I vomited in the Rising West tried my patience and it shows in the writing. The idea was to turn an NPC into a PC and explore their past, their dreams and aspirations--and how something very brutal and unforgiving changed their life, and how their story plays into current time--but told from the perspective of someone already dead. Even though I had a solid idea...writing it all out from start to finish was extremely difficult. My original goal last year was for it to be 10k words.

I had planned to finish it in a week (2k a night felt reasonable) and full time school got overwhelming, plus the three jobs and I ended up leaving Val to focus. I picked it back up and got excited, but when it came to portraying certain elements, I felt myself failing to convey what I wanted because it was so far out of my element. In that regard, I have a new-found respect for authors who are so deep in their research cause I didn't have the time nor patience to write out a  flight-test crash scene with jargon I knew nothing about.

I managed to get to like, somewhere over 6k words? Which. I guess is cool, it's a little over half my goal? But I think as I practice writing short stories more, it will get easier. 

Writing is hard. RPing is challenging but rewarding.

People are awesome, roleplay is awesome. Writing is a pain in the booty but it's cool too. 

I think better when I write, and I’m shy portraying a character through speech, so writing works best for me for RP. I agree that for us, writing and RP cannot be totally separated. If a person is the greatest writer, it doesn’t mean they’re the best RPer, because there’s a certain set of skills that you need as an RPer that has nothing to do with writing. Like how to write lore that can engage the other players, or knowing when to let other players shine in a story etc. But if an RPer doesn’t write well, they suffer for it in terms of causing misunderstandings, or not being able to portray what they want with their character. Word choice can affect the audience’s impression of a character’s personality, and when used for narration, set the mood of an RP.

I guess the difference is I want to improve my writing in such a way that it brings the most fun for me and my RP partners, vs improving it so that people can look at a paragraph and like my word choices. So story > language for me. When I started out in Val, I was both fascinated and intimidated by people who used such flowery language in their posts that it sounded like they had memorized a thesaurus. My writing is simple in comparison, and I sorta wanted to emulate these great writers. That particular goal eventually fell apart because I was too lazy (LOL), because I found it personally more enjoyable to churn out post after post, and throw myself into more and more situations rather than to struggle to rewrite a post. There are certain exceptions, characters where I put a bit more thought into word choices, because the characters themselves are more introspective and thus warrant more effort in getting their personality just right. Elisha is a huge one for that, and Darah is another one too. I was recently organizing all the posts I’ve ever written, and thinking about whether I’ve improved in language-wise, I think the answer is “not really”. I wrote longer posts on average in my first year (2015) than any other year after. But what I feel I’ve improved on is giving a character depth, stringing their stories together, and giving hooks to my writing partners that feel natural, not forced. And also being able to organize and run huge threads! All aspects specific to RP, not writing.

You’re one of those whose language I admire, @amenities, though I feel like you’ve toned down for the better from putting difficult phrases in your posts, vs what I read 3, 4 years ago. Back then I thought your posts were super impressive, but I needed to read your posts two or three times to get exactly what happened, but now one readthrough is good enough for me to understand exactly what is happening, and I enjoy the flavours you add to your posts.

Edited by jaistlyn

I think the structure of the question is interesting. I roleplay because I like to roleplay. I also write because I like to write. There’s a lot of overlap between the two and some of the skills are even cross applicable, in my opinion, but they’re two different activities that I engage in for different reasons even if some are shared 

As for why writing as my particular favored vehicle it’s because it has the lowest barrier to entry. It’s the kind of roleplaying someone can do on a phone with a basic connection, and a lot of people do precisely that. It’ll never be able to compete with the engagement of ever more immersive video games but it’ll always be widely accessible and durable and also I fucking love words  

When I first started writing as a kid, I started in fanfiction. I really liked to write; however, the original stories I tended to lean towards were personal ones that were really difficult and dark. It was easier for me to write stories based on other characters from books or anime. Eventually I found RP and have been using that as a medium to write for the last 16 years now. I have tried tabletop once before and was incredibly embarrassed by the whole thing. So I RP to write, but I also RP to collaborate which I find helps fuel my stories. I have started a number of books over the years, but stories I have started don't feel unique or compelling enough for someone to purchase. While I am not a terrible writer, I am not a great one either. 

As for RP, I still feel like I can improve. Because RP to write, I struggle with creating lore or activities that engages users. While the ideas I have are fun for me as a writer, I sometimes forget that I also need to appeal to others. Since I have returned from my last hiatus, I feel like I have improved a bit on that end. It is an evolving thing so I hope I can continue. Fortunately, there are a lot of people here I can tap on when I need suggestions. 

I started rping in Yahoo chat rooms, and back then I rped just to rp. I loved to roleplay, it was my way of meeting new people who were as dorky as I was, making friends, and engaging with them as if we had known each other all our lives. We had entire, expansive storylines, limited by nothing. No hardcore rules, no heavy-handed moderation, nothing to scare us away from anything. It was one of the most fun times of my life in a time that was also filled with a very real crisis, and playing with my friends helped me through that time.

Now, I rp because I love writing. RP started when I was perhaps 18, but I started writing when I was 13. RP merely reignited that passion and it has grown ever since until it dominated, as it dominates now. I've been told my writing is raw. That it is lacking a lot. That I'm terrible, toxic, and more. Basically, told to go away and don't come back. Still, I can't stop. I want to improve, and beyond that, I don't really want to ever find my limit, because once I reach that limit there is no more room to grow. If I am ever perfect, I have ceased to grow, and that's a scary thought. But I digress. I rp because I love writing, but I can't deny that I love to rp with people too, whose writing I love as much as any bestselling author's. Sometimes I find myself more involved in this than any video game has ever managed. 

2 hours ago, The Hummingbird said:

I started rping in Yahoo chat rooms, and back then I rped just to rp. I loved to roleplay, it was my way of meeting new people who were as dorky as I was, making friends, and engaging with them as if we had known each other all our lives. We had entire, expansive storylines, limited by nothing. No hardcore rules, no heavy-handed moderation, nothing to scare us away from anything. It was one of the most fun times of my life in a time that was also filled with a very real crisis, and playing with my friends helped me through that time.

Now, I rp because I love writing. RP started when I was perhaps 18, but I started writing when I was 13. RP merely reignited that passion and it has grown ever since until it dominated, as it dominates now. I've been told my writing is raw. That it is lacking a lot. That I'm terrible, toxic, and more. Basically, told to go away and don't come back. Still, I can't stop. I want to improve, and beyond that, I don't really want to ever find my limit, because once I reach that limit there is no more room to grow. If I am ever perfect, I have ceased to grow, and that's a scary thought. But I digress. I rp because I love writing, but I can't deny that I love to rp with people too, whose writing I love as much as any bestselling author's. Sometimes I find myself more involved in this than any video game has ever managed. 

I don't know if this is the RIGHT Room to say this, but, after I MET lady RAZE...I'm IN THIS BECAUSE she INVITED me......NOOONE"s ever invited to come RP or WITE besides the following people:

Usiel, Strength of GOD, zERO dESTINY........lADY sNOW...(ewww), vALICK FROST, Ayeden.........LAdy Akara Rvenlock.........and a bunch of other peopel that I CANOT rememeber because I'm drunk and I have 60 pounnds of food to BBQ tommorrow and I'm STILL getting drunk.....

I LOVE LADY RAZE...................................I love ayden, corban, mistii our litle fly......Desolate, COdy...............

i'm FUCKING DRUNK........sorry.......I haven't BBQ-ed in two years.......................I ASSISTED..............

LOVE YOU ALL.......Neondragon07, Supernal......aLL OF YOU CATS!!!

VALUCRE 4 lLLIIIFFEE!

Benny

Now, mind you, I LOVE writing...i have notes on the G.O.D.S. Project from HIGH SCHOOL....

That doesn't matter...if Lady RAZE leave......then I'm GOING to leave...............

Originally RPed in the Yahoo chat rooms. It gave me a sense of belonging, and to be honest it helped with my confidence in my real life which I established pretty young (9th grade).  My father hated it only because I would be on the computer for hours on in, RPing with other people and becoming engrossed in story lines. Those days truly are the backbone to most of my character's development that I have today. Back in those days I had quite the imagination and it also inspired a lot of my art. 

Now that I am older I really do enjoy writing and taking the time to put a story together. However, I also do love my characters and their story lines. I invest a lot of thought and emotion into them and, would love to write a book on my two main characters someday and intertwine their adventures together. I have yet to find the time and motivation to do so yet, perhaps one day!