Jump to content
supernal

Fleshing out metamaterials

Recommended Posts

Here is my list of "board leader grade" metamaterials in Terrenus: https://www.valucre.com/topic/33303-terrenus-materials-list-detailed/

Here's an example of a detailed entry on one of those materials: https://www.valucre.com/topic/33303-terrenus-materials-list-detailed/?do=findComment&comment=592307

And here are the next three materials I'd like to focus on fleshing out:

  1. Nth
  2. Starmetal
  3. Uru

Anyone (or multiple ones) interested in taking a stab at one of these?

Edited by supernal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a strong interest in both Nth and Uru, particularly the latter...

And while I reaaaaally do not want to take on more lore writing right now, Uru is going to be pretty important to my own lore... so... I wanna make sure nobody else screws it up!

Definite probably maybe.

Edited by Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tyler said:

I have a strong interest in both Nth and Uru, particularly the latter...

And while I reaaaaally do not want to take on more lore writing right now, Uru is going to be pretty important to my own lore... so... I wanna make sure nobody else screws it up!

Definite probably maybe.

I have you down as an unequivocal and irrefutable perhaps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested in fleshing out Uru, since it plays a vital role in Aligoria's economy and military endeavors. đź‘€

On that note though, I'm entirely willing to collaborate on fleshing out Uru with @Tyler, since it is a notable factor in each of our respective lores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EpicRome23 said:

I would be interested in fleshing out Uru, since it plays a vital role in Aligoria's economy and military endeavors. đź‘€

On that note though, I'm entirely willing to collaborate on fleshing out Uru with @Tyler, since it is a notable factor in each of our respective lores.

If you wanna throw ideas back and forth, I'm game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EpicRome23 said:

I would be interested in fleshing out Uru, since it plays a vital role in Aligoria's economy and military endeavors. đź‘€

On that note though, I'm entirely willing to collaborate on fleshing out Uru with @Tyler, since it is a notable factor in each of our respective lores.

 

6 minutes ago, Tyler said:

If you wanna throw ideas back and forth, I'm game.

Let’s go full collaboration on this. Throw the template down into a google doc and you two can throw stuff down / edit on the fly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, supernal said:

Actually I started working on a draft so I’ll just take some input over the weekend (and after)

Yeah, if you wanna share a google doc or whatever. I can't guarantee a lot from myself this weekend, or this week for that matter, but maybe later in the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Yeah, if you wanna share a google doc or whatever. I can't guarantee a lot from myself this weekend, or this week for that matter, but maybe later in the month.

I think I’ve got most of it down. I’ll include here as a spoiler cause I figure may as well stoke some convo and show the process

Open to feedback from anyone which I’ll commit to my master doc manually as needed 

Spoiler

General

 

Description: Uru is a dark matte grey alloy of Urutrium metal and naturally occurring zinc and carbon. By itself the pure metal has none of the fantastic properties of what is known as Uru 

 

Location: Great Pine Barrens; Badlands; all along the eastern and western coasts 

 

Properties

Physical: Uru is notoriously difficult to bend and shape, requiring extreme forging methods to turn it into usable armor and weapons. Once shaped it is among the most durable metals in the world. It is not naturally magnetic but can be primed under laboratory conditions to take a charge. It tarnishes easily but is also very easy to clean; circuits made with this metal run well with routine maintenance. It has a high tensile strength. 

 

Arcane: Uru is most notable for its high rate of arcane absorption, making it among the easiest materials to enchant with high degrees of persistence. 

 

Applications

Industrial: Use in heavy machinery, energy towers, and infrastructure 

Consumer: Use in personal vehicles, armor and weapons; of particular use in enchantment trinkets and wands 

Specialist: Used to store enhancements or redirect directed energy 

 

History

Social impact: TBD

 

Economic impact: Uru is a major component in buildings, infrastructure, tools, ships, machines, appliances, and weapons. There are over 50,000 Uru workers in Terrenus, down from 100,000 thanks in large part to golem-based automation

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, I was under the impression that Uru was actually the raw material itself, since a material I made in Norkotia was essentially Uru mixed with Lead (and maybe nickle, copper or steel, I dunno). Though, I suppose, maybe my alloy can have slightly different properties because it was the same base matter but alloyed with a few different materials instead. :think:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Hmm, I was under the impression that Uru was actually the raw material itself, since a material I made in Norkotia was essentially Uru mixed with Lead (and maybe nickle, copper or steel, I dunno). Though, I suppose, maybe my alloy can have slightly different properties because it was the same base matter but alloyed with a few different materials instead. :think:

1) that’s the right impression. I decided on a whim to change it up since the last three items I defined are just straight metals 

2) that’d work and you can still alloy the alloy as needed anyway I’m pretty sure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, supernal said:

1) that’s the right impression. I decided on a whim to change it up since the last three items I defined are just straight metals 

2) that’d work and you can still alloy the alloy as needed anyway I’m pretty sure 

So, imagining then that Uru, as defined, absorbs and stores magic, thus being more useful to enchant or use as a storage/battery of sorts.

My alloy (currently called Hexenschild, but may be subject to a rename at some point), because it contains lead, retains the absorbent properties, but rather than storing, it tends to "ground-out" the magic, almost like a lightly rod. Also, because it is constructed with lead instead of nickle, it is somewhat softer and has less overall tensile strength than Uru (though still at a high level). 

That does beg the question, generally speaking, were you imagining Uru as being stronger than titanium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

So, imagining then that Uru, as defined, absorbs and stores magic, thus being more useful to enchant or use as a storage/battery of sorts.

My alloy (currently called Hexenschild, but may be subject to a rename at some point), because it contains lead, retains the absorbent properties, but rather than storing, it tends to "ground-out" the magic, almost like a lightly rod. Also, because it is constructed with lead instead of nickle, it is somewhat softer and has less overall tensile strength than Uru (though still at a high level). 

That does beg the question, generally speaking, were you imagining Uru as being stronger than titanium?

I like the sound of that 

Also yes. At least comparable to if not stronger, but not as light 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, supernal said:

I like the sound of that 

Also yes. At least comparable to if not stronger, but not as light 

Oh, so another question, it sounds like this metal is fairly common, whereas initially I imagined it being rarer. So is it going to be something more common now? Or perhaps just relatively common in specific locations, at least?

Also, difficulty of mining. Since it is the alloys that are harder to shape, is the base metal also hard to mine? Or on a more comparable level to other metals?

Yeah, it looks like I'm turning this into more of a AMA, but I'm more asking the questions as a way to bring up the subject and your opinion on them.

Edited by Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...