supernal

Another raid OOC

I’m confused about where everyone is now, mind if I draw a larger battle map somewhere today/tomorrow and everyone mark where you are? Prae’s anti magic arrows have a 4km radius which by my calculation envelops supe’s mage squad? I’m unsure where the arrows have landed and wanted to make sure we’re on the same page.

@supernal @Praetorian @Fierach

Alright, I have it here, I found this online whiteboard where everyone can draw on it. You'll have to zoom in and out of the map (Options: zoom in/out) because the forces outside the farmstead cover a pretty large area. Let me know if anything should be changed, or you can change it yourself too. I based it off existing posts as much as I could. I didn't specify in my last post how far the perimeter centaurs have moved, but for the map I'm placing it at half a mile travelled. 

https://whiteboardfox.com/765699-1640-2116

One thing that doesn't make sense from it is that @Praetorian's ADW and ADE are 2 miles away from the perimeter centaurs, so unless the details are wrong somewhere, the arrows they shot aren't reaching anyone. The centaurs started from 1.5 miles out, and ADW and ADE started from 3 miles out. 

Edited by jaistlyn

On 9/11/2019 at 11:39 PM, jaistlyn said:

@supernal @Praetorian @Fierach

One thing that doesn't make sense from it is that @Praetorian's ADW and ADE are 2 miles away from the perimeter centaurs, so unless the details are wrong somewhere, the arrows they shot aren't reaching anyone. The centaurs started from 1.5 miles out, and ADW and ADE started from 3 miles out. 

I can partially take blame for not being more clear.

I identified based on the information in the posts, that the my group and your group were within 1.5 miles of each other. With both having a visibility of about 4 ish miles.

I have max range calculated out at 40 degree angle and 600 fps being a little over two miles.

If a statement had been made regarding how far the defenders had traveled my post probably would have reflected more movement. But in a similar fashion to you, I am assuming that you are operating under the assumption that your group continued moving inward, my group would have advanced inward closer than 3 miles.

Regardless of actual distance, my assumption is that they are somewhere within 1.5 to 2 miles of one another.

16 minutes ago, Praetorian said:

I can partially take blame for not being more clear.

I identified based on the information in the posts, that the my group and your group were within 1.5 miles of each other. With both having a visibility of about 4 ish miles.

I have max range calculated out at 40 degree angle and 600 fps being a little over two miles.

If a statement had been made regarding how far the defenders had traveled my post probably would have reflected more movement. But in a similar fashion to you, I am assuming that you are operating under the assumption that your group continued moving inward, my group would have advanced inward closer than 3 miles.

Regardless of actual distance, my assumption is that they are somewhere within 1.5 to 2 miles of one another.

Sure, assuming they move at the max speed same as the centaurs, it’s 1.5 miles apart.

That’s further than the range of a sniper rifle XD 

Edited by jaistlyn

2 minutes ago, jaistlyn said:

Sure, assuming they move at the max speed same as the centaurs, it’s 1.5 miles. 

That’s further than the range of a sniper rifle XD 

Your statement is false.

Effective range of a rifle is measured from a position of minimal angle. Rifles are shot in a straight line at something, by aligning the barrel with the object. There are some exceptions, aiming off target to account for wind windage or drop.

A bullet fired (without regard to firearm) into the air at an angle, say 40 degrees, can easily travel up to 5 miles.

If you are googling max effective range of weapons, you need to consider how that is measured.

Arrow volleys aren't shot in a straight line at a person, usually, but are fired at angles for AOE. They have a superior range.

4 minutes ago, jaistlyn said:

If you could link to such a literature it would be cool just for general knowledge, what I've found on the net is a maximum of 500m that I can see. 

But I'm not an expert, and it's fine, I'll take it.

The NRA website explains it pretty well.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2016/11/22/gun-safety-ammunition-maximum-range/

As mentioned before, you are looking at max effective range stats, which aren't the same thing as max range.

As an aside, I don't know how the NRA got their numbers.

I used a math equation based on mass, velocity, angle, and gravity to determine max range. 

I'm missing a drag coefficient to donate energy lost due to friction, however this is an RP website and not a physics course, so I'm going with good enough rather than exact.

Anyone else having issues getting to the site? I'll try again tomorrow just in case it's a timing thing

I think I saw everything on the map before it started giving me errors and am good with the map as is. I had it in my mind that the turrets met the golem closer to the eastward side of building 1 as perimeter defense rather than being further into the property, but if Fie is fine with it so am I

Edited by supernal

@Praetorian Could you draw your arrow anti-magic splash zone on the map please? Just circle the area or something will do. I tried to draw some squares of 70x70m but I think I'm assuming a lot. You'll need to zoom out to see the whole area. It wouldn't affect my post a whole lot, but it's for reference too.

https://whiteboardfox.com/765699-1640-2116

I should be posting tmr.

Edited by jaistlyn