supernal

Has your character(s) died?

This is specifically for on Valucre rather than other platforms (other sites or chats) or other games (like TTRPG)

Why did they die / why haven't they died?

p.s. - although admittedly a specialized definition and more interested in the more conventional version, playing an undead counts but only if they were living before and transitioned through play into undead

Edited by supernal

While none of my character have yet died, I have planned out their deaths. Constans will “die” insofar as he will be brought to the Cothic God’s side never to return to the mortal world. 

Viscerex will die either in combat or by some stupid ass political assassination, I haven’t decided which yet. 

Why are my characters dying? Unlike in life, death in fiction always has to serve some purpose. And the answer is that to keep Coth from becoming stale, there needs to be a feeling of history progressing. Under Constans Coth will be at its most pure but not its most powerful. Eventually the idealism of Coth’s founder has to give way to more practical government as the civilization expands. 

Edited by Vansin

Raven died approximately 15 times while Predator's Keep was being built. Her unique nature as a Revenant allowed her to die, but she had to spend three days recovering and reviving. While she can cast a shield to a certain radius and diameter--she was extending that around the entire perimeter of the city to protect it because the Haunted Forest kept trying to destroy everything. The shield was only good enough for so many days, depending on how rested she was--so she kept having to die to renew the wards on it because it burned her out so badly stretching her magic that wide.

She died a sixteenth and final time giving a heart transplant to her husband. Her god took pity on her sacrifice and--trickster that he was--broke the divine rule of interfering with the mortal realm and brought her back as a mortal in exchange for ten years of her memories. Supposedly those memories belonged to Roen for a few years while she moved on. When Arun'daeraa died at the Kaess Festival, he pulled another trick and had those memories returned to Rae.

I think I have more dead characters than living characters at this point. I've even been playing around with killing off Van for some time now. I just haven't decided how to do it yet.

I've had several characters die, and usually it is because I'm done playing them. This could be because the story I created them for is done, or because I'm just bored with them.

I guess I could just stop using them and what not, but I prefer tragic endings. I guess maybe that's probably a reflection of my own reality bias.

In the end, I prefer things to feel concluded. Death seems to be the most appropriate conclusion.

I only have three characters and I've been here for a short time in comparison to others, so not yet. But I have one death planned out once he's finished his current thread. I also have a lot of NPC's, with three of their deaths planned out (If you count those). I find it hard to find to let characters go when they have good uses, but I'd rather a character die with a good backstory than just let them drag on or just fade away.

Backstory-wise, Gormaric died. Then he got better.

Other than that... I don't really know, I just haven't thrown any of them onto or nearby the chopping block so far. I don't have any current plans to axe any of them, but it's a consideration I keep in the back of my mind to further/enrich plots.

@EpicRome23 you killed Diligence tho. ?

She’s technically an NPC White Hand paladin of Yh’mi - she didn’t have the chance to become a PC. But the decision of why I let her die  might be interesting to those involved.

Basically, EpicRome’s Neque, who was co-occupying (?) Gormaric’s body, got into the rogue paladin Remissio’s headspace while he was holding a grenade that was meant to explode on him. Neque decided that he wanted to worm around more in Remissio’s memories, and so he controlled Remissio’s hand to throw the grenade away.

I decided that the action needed a consequence. Neque basically stopped Remissio’s death (for a moment at least.) Another life had to be taken in exchange. Diligence was sword fighting with Remissio at the time, so she got to be the victim of the cast away grenade. She was also too perfect - she had angel blood, she was beautiful, strong, and a natural leader. Storytelling-wise, I thought her death and the effect of that on the other characters would be more valuable than her continued presence among the White Hand. Also, inflicting some kind of guilt to Neque or Gormaric or both was fun too. EpicRome plays that beautifully!

I’m cruel, I know ? I hope the death was unexpected and enjoyed by those in the thread though!

Roen has never died per se, but he’s been decoperalized and sent back to his domain a few times. There’s usually an accounting for his failures, a debriefing concerning what he’s been up to, so on and so forth, and then the eventual go-back-and-try-again bit.

However, he went rogue last time with a bit of help from a Genesarisarian Highlord, and bought a bit of freedom at the expense of power and prestige. He can no longer strike deals, lost all access to his native magicks, so on and so forth. He’s diminished in most, if not most regards. Which brings me back to the matter of death. 

If he’s struck down again, it’ll likely be permanent. I haven’t given it much thought, but I’d imagine he’d either become some malevolent, half-mad spirit haunting the world, or get dragged to his domain for an eternity of torment for his betrayal and transgressions.

Consequences are fun. I imagine that’s why he isn’t too keen to get mixed up in dangerous adventures anymore. 

I've never had what I would call a "player character" die here on Val, but I have had a couple of what I call "major characters" die. One was Terryn "Twitch" Rosk, who was killed by an NPC mutant working for Abbadon (during a skirmish with Dan Palmer). I was ultimately fine with killing her though, since her character concept wasn't working so well on Val...

The other was Jarius Eckhart, who really was more of an NPC (having only appeared in one prior thread), but I had plans to make him a more major part of House Karradeen. However, events came around to a point where having him bravely sacrifice himself to save a bunch of people just made sense.

Otherwise I've killed a lot of NPCs and plot characters, and I *am* open to some of my more major characters dying. But the circumstances gotta be right.

Edited by Tyler

Okay I kinda lied/left out the fact that I've killed a good handful of NPCs over the years, or at least put them in a position where they were subsequently killed.

Shout-outs to my boy the cabbage merchant during the Last Chance Spire event, Wieklin and Laim from Legend of the Emblem (the best series of threads on Val in my humble, unbiased opinion, so very sad that it died out as it did...), and... Mace Man, from the very same thread mentioned by @jaistlyn! I even made one of the follow-up quests stemming from that event to be all about him, or rather finding his wedding ring for his widowed wife, lol.

Speaking of Black Destiny, that moment where my actions brought about the death of Diligence... man, that was a Moment. I brought about a death entirely unplanned in its execution, one that beautifully tied into future plots and characterization. IC-wise, Gormaric feels that the entire debacle of Diligence's death is primarily his fault, and is giving his all to push back against the darkness of Yh'mi as atonement for that. Neque, meanwhile, doesn't feel quite as guilty, but that event was the catalyst for him sending a division of Aligorian soldiers to Yh'mi and putting them under Gormaric's command, even though Gormaric doesn't work for Neque anymore officially.