Rin

The Malestrom of Catastrophe

12, September 1679AY
Yugalla-Cobalt, Talia
4 Days after the Rebirth of the Black Heart Mirror Sun

Crash.
Thud…

The sword went flying to the ground, the mask crackling and breaking as the pieces fell to the ground as well. Landing next to the broken shield, the sword stood there. Ferghas grumbled as he slumped to one knee, blood running down his face as Nebula came running at him again, her sword raised in the air above her head.

"You son of a bitch!" Nebula yelled running at him. "You could have saved the Talian princesses and you let yourself be betrayed and used! You crumbled cause daddy didn't love you enough! You f-ing coward!"

Ferghas heard her words but it didn't make him flinch as the Malestrom came at his torso and slashed it hard. Yet, the wound was small and healing as almost instant. Nebula spit at him. The Gilchrist name seemed to be more important than the citizens of the land. She hated Ferghas. Hated his cowardice. She raised the blade again as his own, the Jagged Malice clashed with it.

"What about you Nebula? How many did you let die to save Maveus? You weren't there to save them either and you have the gall to charge me with what happened? You have no rights to do such a thing."

Nebula said nothing as he pushed against her sword. The darkness trying to consume Nebula as she now had the sword, a key to stopping Seldeth. She held it against his, pushing back as both slid back and the swords broke free from each other. However he wasn't alone. The knight eyed the arrow pointed at her, her eyes widening in fear.

It couldn't be… how could it be?

"You're outnumbered knight," the female voice said. "Drop the sword and let us bring you to our beloved princess. Your fighting is futile."

Nebula shook her head as she knew that surrending here was the end to save the land. And she wouldn't do that. Closing her eyes, electricity flowed through her as her hand outstretched towards both. The electric shards flew at both hitting them as she ran at Ferghas and slammed him to the ground swinging her blade again and again at his body.

The female jumped down and fired the arrows into Nebula one by one making her fall back. As she readied another arrow, an arrow pierced her hand as she dropped the bow.

"What?!"

"You're not taking the knight, Lucinda." Maveus replied jumping down herself readying another arrow. "Over my dead body will you get either. And as for Seldeth, you can tell her that we are gathering, we will destroy her."

Maveus picked up Nebula and threw a smoke bomb allowing them to get away. Lucinda growled low. Ferghas stood as his wounds slowly healed. Annoyed that Maveus hadn't faltered to the mirror shard nor the arch mage herself.

"You idiot. You didn't infect Maveus?" Lucy barked at Ferghas.

"It didn't take it seems." Ferghas replied. "Probably resistant. We'll have to regroup and restragterize."

---

"That was dumb." Maveus said jumping through the trees. "Brave but dumb. You could have been corrupted. Unlike me, you're not resistant--"

"Are you really?" Nebula asked. "I'm not trying to be rude, just curious. I had to do it, because the village was in trouble. It was the right thing to do. I'm sorry."

Maveus didn't answer as the two continued to the village of Yugalla-Cobalt. The pair had three swords able to cut damage into the mirror shards, the Malestrom, the Sagittarius Kaleidoscope and Jupiter-Neptune. They were now a target it seemed. The silence bothered Nebula as her questions weren't answered.

That was dumb." Maveus said jumping through the trees. "Brave but dumb. You could have been corrupted. Unlike me, you're not resistant--"

"Are you really?" Nebula asked. "I'm not trying to be rude, just curious. I had to do it, because the village was in trouble. It was the right thing to do. I'm sorry."

Maveus didn't answer as the two continued to the village of Yugalla-Cobalt. The pair had three swords able to cut damage into the mirror shards, the Malestrom, the Sagittarius Kaleidoscope and Jupiter-Neptune. They were now a target it seemed. The silence bothered Nebula as her questions weren't answered. This didn't make her feel at ease that Maevus deflected or refused to answer her. 

Entering Yugalla-Colbate, Maveus put the knight down. Nebula dusted herself off as the silence was growing ever more. They were safe for now as Maveus didn't see the enemy trailing them. Though remaining cautious, it seemed the pair had breathing room. The elf looked at the knight as she opened her mouth to speak but closed it for another moment. How could she let Nebula know that she could be tainted? That even she wasn't immune.

"Nebula--" Maveus started before biting her lip once more before deciding to speak. "I am not as immune as you'd think. I cannot be easily tainted because of my blood but with the right ritual--even I can be."

Nebula said nothing for a moment letting it sink in. She placed her hand on Maveus's shoulder. "I understand. I know it wasn't easy to tell me. And I am glad you did." 

The two stood in silence once more. It wasn't an easy issue to talk about. Nebula looked down at her hands, hands scarred in the battle with the Neverend beast. Hands scarred from countless battles to save Talia from the most dangerous being and she had failed keeping the mirror sealed away. Failed in her duty. Failed as a knight of the Mercury knights. 

Maveus placed her hand on Nebula's shoulder. "Are you still worried that the five swords are useless against Seldeth? That we are not ready yet? It's why we are here. Besides the training, stragetries and plans, we came to find the last sword, as the others are off to find the Capricorn LionHeart."

"There's a lot on my mind Maveus." Nebula replied honestly. "What if the Jager Scarheart isn't here? It's time we wasted and more time our enemy--"

"You worry too much my dear knight. Seldeth hasn't corrupted all the knights yet. Saturn, Draconia and Valentina are still on our side. I am sure the sword is here."

Nebula sighed.

Nebula sighed. It was something that couldn't just be abandoned. It was unfortunate because of the mirror claiming the Talian princess. And Claudette was gone too, the whole thing was a mess. Maveus knew should the princess learn their real names that it would be the end. So not telling anyone that was the most important thing. Nebula looked at her companion, not sure what she was thinking. Maveus stood as it was time to get going. 

The knights of Saturn were busy fighting with the resistance in the east. Valentina was questionabke due to changing sides when it suit in their favor and Draconia--well, no one was sure of them. But as they walked Nebula thought about three other members that were key to keeping Seldeth from fully controlling Talia. Wendelin, Ser Angus Xander Legoniare and Ser Fane Sebastian Frederick Jasper. The former two were famed knights as Angus and Fane fought in many of famous Talia battles as well as skirmishes. 

"Maveus, have you heard from Ser Angus and Fane lately? I heard both command such great respect and loyalty from the citizens and the templars. Even mages. But those three have gone radio silence since last I wrote. And it bothers me--"

"No. I am a bit worried too. Especially with Ferghas and the Neverend beast--Lucinda have caught up to us. Even turned to the princess' side. I do hope they haven't, if they did then we'll be at an even more disadvantage." Maveus replied as they reached the city's most inner sanctum which housed the fifth sword. The final sword to be the key to fixing Seldeth back to normal. The Valiant Scarab. "I did send word to Wendelin before I came after you. But it was unanswered so that troubles me."

Nebula nodded as the two eyed the sanctum and knew this wouldn't be easy to retrieve a sword. As it was well guarded by monsters, desire demons and even possibly another Neverend Beast--well, the same one to be exact. Maveus placed her raven bird mask on as she handed the griffin one to Nebula. 

"Best to keep our faces hidden. Don't want the enemy to corrupt or find out who we truly are." Maveus replied taking a step forward. "Hopefully it won't take long or we get killed but always a chance." 

"Yeah. Gotcha." Nebula scoffed.

Of course this made the elf chuckle to himself as he noticed the two elves approaching him. Yes, these two were new to the city as was he. But that was because it was a newly found city with a possible dumb name. Maveus dragged Nebula along until they were a foot across from Esben himself. 

Well, isn't this interesting indeed. Esben replied as he looked at the pair. Seldeth's enemies gathering to find weapons you think will help you succeed. Which you know you won't. But I still find it interesting. 

Oh good, two minutes in and you're being condescending. Maveus spoke coldly. But yes, we are looking for a way to change her back before all of you f-cked with the princess and ruined her. 

Esben why do you think we'll fail? Nebula asked as she wondered what side he was on, his own gain in the matter. Why do you follow her so blindly if she just uses you?

Oh, it is quite simple my dear. I get to research and experiment on those who desire to be a part of the mirror's grace. Esben chuckled. I do not really care what she does. 

Elizabeth sighed as she removed her mask. Nebula tilted her head as she didn't know why Elizabeth did that. They were still in harm's way and she was making a dangerous move. Her rainbow eyes glaring at Esben as she growled low knowing he loved to play games.

You gonna help us find the cave or not elf?! I don't have time for your games. We also don't have time to waste either. Elizabeth almost yelled but controlled her anger. Nebula was a bit scared and stepped back. I couldn't care less for your hard ons for a monster.

Calm down my dear Elizabeth. I will help you. But I won't just do it for free. You-- Esben pointed at Elizabeth then with his right index finger. You'll have to test out this new mirror glass for me. 

Fine. Elizabeth breathed. 

Nebula gasped as Esben smiled in a malicious gleeful grin. Of course he didn't just give it to her either as he stood up and told the two to follow him. And so they did down the dirt path. Nebula was afraid that her beloved Elizabeth would agree to Esben at all. He was not one to be trusted after all. And yet to find the sword they needed, risks had to be taken.