Dolor Aeternum

Interest Check - Illyrian Scientific Expedition and Recruitment [OOC]

Expeditions sponsored by the Illyrian government

bnf3Gvy.jpg

Backstory:

With Illyria’s horrific introduction into Valucre, it has taken some time for the nation to adjust to its new environment and its presence as a sister island to Orisia. There is much they do not know about what makes Valucre…Valucre or the many wonders/horrors that inhabit this world. This absence of knowledge is something Illyrians cannot stomach so at the behest of their king, several members of the Scientific Division will be initiating expeditions to collect data on a variety of places/things throughout Valucre.

OK big deal, where do I come in?

This is a recruitment post for either a character you can conjure to be a part of the Illyrian Scientific Division or any of your personal characters to embark on a quest (see below). I am looking for some members willing to play an Illyrian scientist and take ownership of completing a quest in the name of their king/nation or for some adventurous characters to join others on completing a quest to help Illyria gather its bearings within Valucre.

Should you decide to create a character to be a part of Illyria, then just post a character sheet here or feel free to PM me to discuss character creation. I have only provided a general sense of how Illyrians are in the lore posting solely because I want others to build off of that and make their character their own. I love collaboration so don’t hesitate to message me with ideas for anything.

All other characters are welcome to join as well. Just let me know which one you wish to use.

I need more details!

I have combed through some quests that I would like to complete for my own purposes. The quests I wish to tackle are the following:

1.       The Sinking Island Rises Again – Within the Ild Pass that lies between what is now Illyria and Orisia, a massive beast rumored to have created the Orisian Isles has been detected once again by Illyrian sonar devices. The rumors of a bed of viable vegetation along its back as well as a mysterious artifact embedded within its tough skin has warranted an investigation by the Scientific Division who is calling on experienced seafarers to go on an expedition to retrieve specimens and possibly the artifact. The creature only surfaces for an hour or two at a time for air according to historical records so time is of the essence.

2.       Learn the Ulway – Both the Illyrian Magical Division and the Scientific Division are interested in collecting samples from Amalia (specifically the Yellow Calquartz trees) and perhaps establishing some sort of trade relationship with the Ulway. They are contracting diplomatic personnel and prospectors to join them in this endeavor. (tagging @amenities for visibility)

Summary for those who skimmed through the above:

1.       I am looking for people who want to create an lllyrian character and join me for one of the quests above.

2.       I am also looking for anyone else who wants to have their character join up on one of the two quests above

Possible Participants:

@Sanonymous - VCF Minions?

@Anon - Abe

@Thotification - Linda Linda (Explorer Extraordinaire)

@ticklefarte - creating an Illyrian (Possible Scientific Division member)

@HollowCipher - Dan

@Rabbit - Asura

Edited by Dolor Aeternum
added those who have shown interest

Would you perhaps be interested in the VCF sticking their nose in this business? They could pose as a secondary antagonist as they try to contain the beast on the first quest! Bunch of faceless goons sent out to die ? Fun for the whole family~! What do you think?

This expedition goes hand-in-hand with what Abe wants to do at the moment. I'm working on making the character sheet legible right now, but I'd love to bring him along. 

19 hours ago, The Rabbit Emperor said:

You mention in Illyrian lore that the people are vehemently opposed to what are generally considered 'monster' type races.

Vampires, werewolves, etc. 

Does this extend to all monstrous humanoids? 

Examples would be things like Driders, centaurs, naga, etc?

Actually no. They are vehemently opposed to most monster races created/directly related to what some consider occult. So vampires, ghouls, wraiths, undead fit in this category but I would like to point out that this is mainly the 'old guard'. Their king does not agree with their vehement opposition (he is very close friends with a vampyre after all) so you are free to create an Illyrian who can be on either spectrum or somewhere in between or bring in a monstrous humanoid that doesn't lean toward what Illyrians consider evil (i.e. they gained their power or abilities by reprehensible means) To answer the last part, centaurs, driders, naga are all fair game. Orcs and goblins are all good too. Most Illyrians might be fascinated by their biology but if the more primitive species lean toward their basic instincts (lets say trying to eat someone or killing someone) then the Illyrians are not fond of that heh.

18 hours ago, ticklefarte said:

i'm interested in making an Illyrian character. I'll have to read up on the lore however, so I'll pm you soon! 

Excellent. Looking forward to it.

17 hours ago, Thotification said:

Linda the explorer would like to join ??

Cool. If you want to lean toward the more comedic route then the Ulway one might be funny, but whichever one you'd like is fine with me.

13 hours ago, Sanonymous said:

Would you perhaps be interested in the VCF sticking their nose in this business? They could pose as a secondary antagonist as they try to contain the beast on the first quest! Bunch of faceless goons sent out to die ? Fun for the whole family~! What do you think?

The VCF could end up showing up for the expedition and injecting themselves. They can surely attempt to contain the Ancient One but will be hard to try and contain a beast of that size. Either way I support whatever you would like to contribute.

9 hours ago, Anon said:

This expedition goes hand-in-hand with what Abe wants to do at the moment. I'm working on making the character sheet legible right now, but I'd love to bring him along. 

Sounds good.

Edited by Dolor Aeternum

I was working on a character that melds technology with magic, I'm more than happy to make her a part of the Illyrian Scientific Division. Once she's complete I'll post her character sheet here. 

2 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

I was working on a character that melds technology with magic, I'm more than happy to make her a part of the Illyrian Scientific Division. Once she's complete I'll post her character sheet here. 

That sounds like a perfect fit. Looking forward to it.

A giant creature you say?

I know I keep putting him in these things, and my other characters have hit the backburner, but Dan is an experienced and well trained monster hunter, so the first one might be a good fit.

11 minutes ago, HollowCipher said:

A giant creature you say?

I know I keep putting him in these things, and my other characters have hit the backburner, but Dan is an experienced and well trained monster hunter, so the first one might be a good fit.

Likely will be his way of coming back to get his 'reward'

@Rabbit All good minus one thing I want to address. The half-demon lineage would have to be something kept hidden most likely unless we conjure up some good backstory as to why she is half demon in the first place. Illyrians have had their fare share of bad experiences dabbling with foreign magic or tech so this could have been a product of something like that.

7 minutes ago, Dolor Aeternum said:

@Rabbit All good minus one thing I want to address. The half-demon lineage would have to be something kept hidden most likely unless we conjure up some good backstory as to why she is half demon in the first place. Illyrians have had their fare share of bad experiences dabbling with foreign magic or tech so this could have been a product of something like that.

I'll have her go full hell boy and keep them hidden from sight.