sheep

Vying for Vices [Casper, 26 AO]

Squeaky wheels struggled against the moonlit road, as narrow streets came alive with a raucous energy. It arrived in a hurry, and left as if it had to be somewhere yesterday, though the laughter that accompanied it lingered a bit longer only to be followed by a curse or two. Tonight, Casper bore witness to two brave men, as they raced down it’s uneven slopes, awkwardly huddled in wheel carts, pushed along by two men slightly less brave.

Luca’s hands struggled against the metal to maintain a grip, sweating feverishly, as the wheels rushed downhill. A few minutes ago, he had been standing on his very own feet, perched upon a table, as alcohol swivelled down his throat. He remembered a man had stood across from him, doing the same, as hands thrashed the wooden table, and the cheers of a rowdy bunch filled the room. He remembered the alcohol claiming his soul and replacing it with a loud warmth. And now, he missed it. Oh, How he missed it! As the cart curved along a rather sharp turn, Luca screamed in defiance and ecstasy altogether. His skin crawled with excitement and fear, eyes wide open and a voice dedicated to the note of maddening laughter. The lights in the streets blurred against the landscape as they raced along, and the moon danced it’s own dance across the waters in the distance. The port was beginning to appear. The first one in the water would win. Why had he agreed to do this again? 

“Faster!” he found himself screaming, as another cart rushed part him, cascading the scenery. “Alright the.. Whoaa” An answer came, followed by a loud thud. Luca turned around to discover that the man pushing him now lay far in the distance. “Shit. Shit! SHIT!”, Who had come up with the idea to push two grown men on measly little carts across the slope of the town and into the sea? Well, fuck. 

“You little…!” Luca shifted his weight, steering the cart towards his opponent, as it wheeled down, picking speed with nothing to hold it back but the sea itself. Dim thoughts of safety dared to trouble him, but his raging heart saw to them. “Nobody’s going to win if I don’t!” He announced, with a scowl as he drove his cart into the man’s. There was a loud clatter, a scream and a squeak. The world spun ever so slowly, and amidst the adrenaline fueled theatre, came a moment of unhinged beauty, of pure focus; the moonlight softly swaying against the waves of the sea that stretched unto infinity . “What a wonderf…” and with a loud bang it ceased. Darkness.

-x-

The bar doors swung open with a ferocity, revealing three broken men, and a single man who somehow managed to carry them. “Drinks on me!” Luca announced. The tension that had suddenly encompassed the room turned to laughter, stealing away the terror of swollen faces and broken hands. The steamcar that had brought them along back to the purple axe, left them in a cloud of dust, leaving the bloody, sweaty man at  the doorway, though helping hands soon followed.

“Yeah! Yeah! That might be the only thing keeping your manhood alive now!.” Olga spat, as the bar owner stomped away shouting orders at her bar girls to fetch the local doctors and medication. The tavern filled with another wave of laughter, as Luca exchanged pleasantries and avoiding slaps on the back. It hadn’t been too long ago when he had first stepped foot in the city, and now it felt like home. 

He struggled to the back of the tavern, snatching a drink, and a tray of food along the way. Awkwardly, he settled on a corner table, and leaned against the wall. Pain streaked across his body, the room broke into song and story and Luca smiled with bloodied lips, digging into his food.

It was quiet, aside from crickets chirping, the rustling of leaves and branches as errant breezes blew through, and nocturnal animals patter through the grass stalking their dinner. All of which were comforting sounds that allowed the vixen to sleep peacefully. The universe had other plans; however, and the pair of triangles perched on her head twitched as a shrill noise sliced through the melody of the night. A single eye opened, peeking to see if she could locate the source. It seemed to be in the distance, and voices followed it. 

Her maw opened wide in a yawn, her canines glinting as she stretched her lethargic limbs. With a quick shake to her white fur, the fox looked towards the direction of the road. She wasn't pleased with being woken up, but she knew that her irritation wasn't a logical response as she hardly needed to sleep anymore. Her ears faced forward, listening as she inhaled through her nose, scenting those that woke her. Humans. Rowdy, humans. Perhaps they could provide a meal or entertainment, she reasoned to herself. 

The white fox bounded down from her perch and landed silently on her paws, the grass soft beneath her. Then she was off at a sprint. Her nose twitched as she sniffed the air and tracked down her quarry, a blur of white hidden in the thicket of the trees. 

Finally, she approached an establishment and sniffed the air again. They were here and unsurprisingly bloodied considering the mess they had left behind. Sitting down on her hindquarters, the fox regarded the pub with mild amusement before shaking her head and retreating to find privacy. 

The doors opened again, quietly this time as a woman stepped foot into the threshold. She was a small thing, petite and lithe as she sashayed towards the bar with a slight tilt to her lips as she smiled a fox smile. Crimson eyes glinted with mischief as she leaned onto the counter and waved over the bartender. 

Once she was with a drink in hand, the ebony-haired demoness discreetly sniffed the air again and wandered towards the back corner of the bar. She never did look directly at the one she was tracking; instead, the vixen wore a contemplative look as she tried to find a table that suited her fancy. Only when she settled into the table that he had a direct line of vision to did the demoness look at him. 

It was a glance, and she looked away quickly, lifting her glass to her lips and taking a slow sip. Then her eyes wandered towards the door, and she stared a long while. Her lips then turned down, and she tapped impatiently on her table. Her body language screamed that she was waiting for someone to arrive, and it seemed as if they were late. 

Based on her attire, it could be easy to assume she was waiting on a date. She wore a burgundy sheath dress that clung to her like a second skin. A pair of thin straps held the garment on her, and the neckline dipped to allow a conservative amount of cleavage. She matched her dress with a couple of strappy black stilettos, and her black hair was pulled up into a messy bun that allowed her shoulder-blades to be left bare. It was a simple ensemble, but not something that a woman would wear to meet a girlfriend or a business partner. 

Moments later, The corner was filled with inordinate moans as several figures surrounded Luca, some cackling, the others grumbling. Amidst the commotion stood a doctor, struggling to fix the wounds thanks to the constant trifling of the group and the patient himself. “Goodness! Shut up before I sew your mouths up!” The man screamed in irritation. The group dispersed promptly with sighs and whispers. Luca patted the doctor on his shoulder, “ Y’know? Not a bad idea, some of them really need it, look at Old mike ove…”, the words on his tongue disappeared into thin air as he noticed a lithe creature seemingly gliding across the room. “Ah, careful!” He squeaked at the doctor as something pinched his leg.

It had been days since he had last set his eyes upon such a fine specimen. The woman stole away a look at him, Did she just? Yes she did. He observed the vixen, as she settled in fashioning her facade.  “My lady, I have to say, you’re well overdressed for a place such as this. I think I can help.” He suggested, leaning in, uttering the words as genuinely as possible.  His eyes lay studded at the woman as he slowly brought his drinks to his lips,  his actions were remarked with an air of quiet contemplation. He grinned menacingly, and took a soft sip, awaiting a response. 

Edited by sheep

The stranger's stare was a tangible thing, and she could almost feel him observing her, and she could assuredly scent his piqued curiosity. Her mask of impatience remained intact as she brought her glass to her lips again. Internally, she was pleased with the quick response of her prey, but she couldn't display how she felt. The vixen had to be patient, and fortunately, he didn't make her wait long. 

A deep and rich baritone drew the woman's attention, and she turned her ruby gaze to the man. A slender brow lifted as if to ask, 'Who me,' silently. She glanced over her shoulder, looking to see if perhaps he was speaking to someone else before she returned her attention to him. He was looking right at her with a deviant sort of smile, and her lashes batted before her head tilted slightly in mock confusion. Color rose to her cheeks as she feigned embarrassment. 

Despite her facade, the demoness knew he was talking to her, knew he was sizing her up. Let him think he's trapped a helpless butterfly in his web. 

"Excuse me?" The vixen inquired, her voice silvery with a smoky undertone. She sounded mildly offended by his suggestion, unsure of what to make of it. Most men enjoyed a challenge, and she planned on giving him one at least until she had satisfied her ravenous curiosity. 

Edited by Akako Akari

Luca felt the heat cascade his body as he took another swig of the alcohol. The pain receded simultaneously, thanks to the added effort of the doctor. Luca would have said something, but the doctor interrupted, though he was quickly dismissed with a fair bit of coin. He glanced at his leg, examining the wound, then returned his attention to the lady who shifted impatiently. Luca eyed the direction, she seemed to be looking in. 

Sluggishly he lifted himself up from his table, and grabbed a barmaid passing by; whispers and currency were exchanged. “Excused!” Luca said, half smiling as he limped across to the woman’s table. “If I may?” He inquired but didn’t wait for an answer and placed himself next to her. “I’m Dorian, I suppose you’re…” The dialogue came broken as the waitress fetched a vividly engraved bottle of liquor alongside a plate of steaming hot, finger food. “Ahhh!” Luca, let out seeming satisfied. “Why, thank you!” He let out, giving her a smile and a wink. 

“Enjoy the evening!” She returned, with a suggestive smile, and skittered away to attend to a group of rowdy men. 

“Now, I know this isn’t the ideal environment for our first date, but we’ll make do, won’t we? After all what is a love story without a tinge of tragedy...” He said, nodding dismissively at the wailing and laughter engulfing the bar.

The stranger had the vixen's rapt attention now after addressing her. The mask of embarrassed annoyance remained in place as she observed him. From his seated position, Akako could tell he was a tall and sturdy specimen. Additionally, he was pleasant to the eye which was fortuitous considering that she'd only followed him after the commotion that disrupted her sleep. Perhaps he could be more useful than just a simple meal. She had eaten recently enough, and there was no real need for her to feed again this soon other than boredom. It seemed as though Akako had found her entertainment for the night at the very least. 

The man stood, and she listened, hearing each word that he whispered to the barmaid. Her lips nearly twitched into a smile, but the frown she wore didn't diminish even as amusement filled her. Then he was standing before her, looming over her tiny frame with a cocky smile plastered on his face. She looked up at him, a single brow rising towards her hairline and her lips parting to respond to his request. He was already sliding into the booth next to her before she could utter a syllable. 

Her brows furrowed again, indignation all over her face as she glared up at him. Meanwhile, she sucked in a breath through her nose as he introduced himself and was surprised to find that his scent changed for the briefest moment. Without knowing him, it was difficult to decipher what the shift meant. So her lips pressed together as she pushed herself back towards the wall, as far away from him as she could get as any reasonable human woman would do if a strange man decided to intrude on personal space. 

"Excuse me." The woman said again, this time, without question at the end of the statement. Her tone was laced with venom as she did her best to play her part. 

"I do not know who you think you are, but I am waiting on my date, which is not you." 

"Now, if you could leave, I would appreciate it." She turned her face away from him, looking forward with her arms folding in front of her chest. 

Luca regarded the lady as she pushed away, snatching a bite from the plate. He chewed away at it showering in the woman’s dry rejection. “Well,” He squinted, leaning forward “It is obvious your lips are parched for love. Let me pour you some.” Luca grabbed the bottle the waitress had just delivered, and proceeded to pour a dark greenish liquid it in two separate glasses, with a grace that had been acquired through years of practice. “Best in Terrenus, crafted by the Fairy-folk of Moonwood; Quite an aphrodisiac.” He said. The liquid danced with an iridescent glow, as he brought to his lips and with a grimace, he continued, “Well that’s a lie, but since we’re already pretending, it shouldn’t be much of a problem.” 

Luca lounged back against the chair, letting his left arm dangle behind it, his body pulled away from the conversation in the subtlest of ways and his eyes wandered away from the woman, sifting through the bar. Ever so slowly his shoulders drooped, and his lips fell into half a smile, and a strange relaxation engulfed his demeanour. Was it the medicine? The alcohol? He glanced at the green liquid for a moment. Did it matter? 

“I did not get your name....” The notes of his voice came softer this time, accompanied with a hint of curiosity.

Edited by sheep

A brow lifted, her demeanor transforming to one of bemusement as she shifted in her seat, uncrossing her legs only to cross them again, left over the right this time. Her head tilted as she regarded him with a curious expression. He'd seen through her ruse, although, she'd seen through his as well. He hadn't given his real name which made him even more intriguing. 

"Mm...", the vixen hummed before turning her body until her knee was pressed against his thigh. 

"No, I suppose you didn't." Her voice had softened and the smokey quality was more pronounced now without her charade. 

"Akako." The vixen was fully facing him now, her lips curled into a fox-smile. When he turned to look at her again, she leaned forward and spoke in a low tone, conspiratorially. "But, I didn't get your name either... Dorian." There was a challenge in her eyes and perhaps, if he was paying enough attention, he would see her shadow for the briefest moment change and there was the silhouette of her true self with nine tails and fox ears. Within a blink, her shadow returned to normal. 

Luca tilted his head letting his gaze run across the length of her body. He rested his cheek on his palm as he continued to regard her. There was a sudden shift in her demeanour, she shifted towards him and the ruse of impatience disappeared. Luca met her eyes with a mischievousness in his own, he smirked as if he had just struck a prey and perhaps he had. Her lips moved to word her name, "Akako."she said, leaning forward. "But, I didn't get your name either... Dorian." The announcement was followed by a swift spectacle. Luca let out a chuckle in amusement, and the aloofness in his expression was tarnished by surprise. He felt the challenge in her eyes, and what had that been on the wall? A trick of the light? 

Luca eased away slightly, returning to his drink but his eyes never left the woman's. Have they chased me this far out?, he mused, as paranoia bubbled up within him, although subdued by the depressants. The thought struck regardless. Luca leaned back in, further this time, his fingers traced the backside of her neck,  and slowly pushed her towards him guiding her ear to his lips. "Luca..." he whispered as if the name were a threat, emphasising the the 'ka' greatly. He held for a long moment, then receded ever so slowly, breathing softly on her neck.  

He lounged back into his chair, as the air grew thick with tension.

"Now that we've mingled aptly, shall we proceed to the main course?" He offered slyly, after a brief pause.

Edited by sheep

Ever observant, the kitsune caught the brief flicker of astonishment in the stranger's eyes when her illusion cracked. It pleased her immensely that he was so expressive despite himself. This human would be a fun new toy, at least for now. She'd been tragically bored since Bai Hu vanished back into the celestial realm, but perhaps a game would help pass time that seemed to crawl. She wondered what he thought of her, this human. Surely he suspected that she wasn't human, given her crimson irises littered with flecks of gold. It seemed that no matter what guise she wore, Akako was otherworldly. 

It seemed this human wasn't above her charm either. Warm fingers ghosted over the skin of her neck and the mischievous smile she wore widened. Akako allowed herself to be guided forward until they were cheek to cheek. Across the room a waitress watched, trying to be discreet and the vixen grinned at her knowingly causing the server to blush and look away. 

His name was a puff of hot air on her ear and Akako repeated the name in a whisper that only he'd hear before scanning the crowd again. There were a handful of patrons that weren't drinking and cognizant enough to note the happenings in their booth. She could smell each emotion that drifted through the room that ranged from awe, lust, and in some cases, repugnance. 

Leaning away from him again when he released her, Akako turned her attention back to Luca. Her tongue clicked in mock disapproval as she turned in her seat again, crossing her legs once again.

"Oh? Main course? Do tell... what does that entail?" She brought her drink back to her lips before settling it back on the table. 

Luca regarded the woman for a long moment as she asked the question, he feigned disappointment and let out a long sigh. “Well, well, and here I thought I finally found a clever woman around these parts.” He said meeting her gaze. His drink lay on the table, unfinished, so he ventured to end that conquest. In a single movement, he put the glass to his lips and flushed it all down his throat.  He scowled owing to the sting that the alcohol brought with it. The warmth of the cascaded throughout his body, and a strange feeling washed over him. 

“I hear the main course is served upstairs. Come on now, before it gets cold.” Luca stood up almost abruptly, as he finished the sentence. The pain from his leg shot up instantaneously, despite the painkillers and alcohol. It had disappeared a while ago, and he had seemingly forgotten about it. He let out a soft groan, and gestured the woman to follow as he began to walk towards the staircase. 

Surely he'd encountered a coy woman before. Regardless, Akako wondered if he honestly thought that insulting her would give him any leverage against her. Well, she supposed that he didn't know what she was so perhaps his foolishness would play in her favor. Rather than allowing her pride to be bruised, she rolled her eyes at him and let her lips to remain tilted into that mischievous fox-smile. 

The main course indeed. Little did Luca know, the demoness had plans for him. She wasn't famished and could likely go awhile yet before taking another soul, but his arrogance made him appealing to her. He could stand to lose his amongst other things. The daiyokai wasn't pleased with the human's behavior, and she was already plotting how to torture him. What was he scared of? What illusions could she conjure to make him tremble? A chill climbed up her spine, and the vixen shivered in delight as she considered the many possibilities. 

Then he was on his feet, and the sour scent of pain caught her off-guard. Her face contorted into a sneer as her senses were assaulted. She lifted her glass to her lips and swallowed down what was left of her wine then stood to follow behind him. 

"You know... I don't think you're in good condition." Akako mentioned as she trailed after him and up the staircase. It was apparent he was in pain, and while that didn't bother her, it would upset a normal woman. A human woman would fuss over the injury and bid him rest rather than acting on impulse. It was troublesome, playing a human, but hardly anyone here knew her just yet.