@Meraxa @supernal

alrighty! Here’s a place to discuss some ideas for the vineyard! 

As I mentioned I would like to create a character who would be Fiancé to Ampelos  and bring the Vineyard to higher success as a test of merit. 

Meraxa, you wanted to work on spreading the Vineyards market correct? How would you like to do that? 

Let the thoughts fly! 

So my thought was to try and further along its entry into Ursa Madeum's markets - since, y'know, base of the family's power and all - by way of currying favour with a particular niche. Namely, merchants and other wealthy travellers; using Sabine's inn in Ylia as an ad-hoc storehouse, and place from which to sell their wares. While Vanora does lie to the south, one imagines many would still use Ylia as a stopping off point, whether travelling internally of the islands or heading somewhere north. It also means they're competing with less, so if they can establish that foothold, word should spread well enough within the small city. Even if they don't sell a great deal, so long as they can sell it reliably and make it a matter of preference among richer sorts, well, that gets the name out there.

21 minutes ago, Meraxa said:

So my thought was to try and further along its entry into Ursa Madeum's markets - since, y'know, base of the family's power and all - by way of currying favour with a particular niche. Namely, merchants and other wealthy travellers; using Sabine's inn in Ylia as an ad-hoc storehouse, and place from which to sell their wares. While Vanora does lie to the south, one imagines many would still use Ylia as a stopping off point, whether travelling internally of the islands or heading somewhere north. It also means they're competing with less, so if they can establish that foothold, word should spread well enough within the small city. Even if they don't sell a great deal, so long as they can sell it reliably and make it a matter of preference among richer sorts, well, that gets the name out there.

I don't have any desire to stand in the way of personal story ambitions and if this is something you want to do then by all means!

That said the reason I placed the vineyard in Biazo rather than in the UM isles was specifically to create, and then enhance, a foothold into greater Terrenus. Rather than loop back to UM I want to keep pushing out. Incidentally I'm involved in a thread in Vanora right now to put a Dali stamp nearby so that's particular locale is already being touched (again, if this is something you want to do anyway by all means)

On that note I started a thread a little while ago in this vein that could be a good entry point if we do a time/scene skip and beef it up rather than breaking out into a separate thread though a separate thread would be just fine too, if it appeals. Here's the thread: https://www.valucre.com/topic/42119-just-dali-things-tangled-webs/

And the general ambitions:

Overall / loose structure

1. Go to Casper to setup a favorable transport with the casper shipping company. For the transport of goods and a cruise type travel route on the way to and from Aspyn
  2. Go to Aspyn after and since we are stimulating the local economy ask for grants / subsidies to support the expansion of the business venture 
  3. Hobnob with nobles (in Aspyn or elsewhere) to cement the Dali vineyard as a Martha's vineyard / Napa valley, high-falutin' type of vacation destination

I like consolidating efforts where possible but realize what appeals to me isn't for everyone

Edited by supernal

I don’t see why the vineyard wouldn’t do well to spread out in both directions. If you want to focus on the UM some Meraxa then that works for me. 

I do see why you want to expand the other way Supernal. Perhaps my character could be worked into gaining that extra foothold in Terranus. A daughter in a prominent merchant house perhaps? I don’t want her to be passive though. She could handle the trade and sale beyond a certain area after her family and the Dali come to an agreement regarding betrothal. 

I can work around already in place material. Just let me know. 

3 minutes ago, Shaddowcat said:

I don’t see why the vineyard wouldn’t do well to spread out in both directions. If you want to focus on the UM some Meraxa then that works for me. 

I do see why you want to expand the other way Supernal. Perhaps my character could be worked into gaining that extra foothold in Terranus. A daughter in a prominent merchant house perhaps? I don’t want her to be passive though. She could handle the trade and sale beyond a certain area after her family and the Dali come to an agreement regarding betrothal. 

I can work around already in place material. Just let me know.  

I like the sound of that. From the above thread I linked that could even be one of the events that is touched on there. Aspyn is a new city which has a lot if displaced people from different areas on the continent, but notably Ashville, which was a very aristocratic type area. She could be from a prominent family that moved out there and so an arranged marriage in that area would be very beneficial to the vineyard's expansion into Aspyn

I mean... my whole suggestion was primarily made in absence of any understanding of established alternatives along similar lines, so... I can totally adjust there. Like, goal 3 is pretty much the general gist of what I wanted to do anyway, so I could totally go at that with Amira. Meanwhile 1 and 2 fit the sort of intrigue and negotiation style matters that a character like Amira is somewhat built for, beyond her own ambitions. 

In fact...

What if @Shaddowcat's character was from one such family in a position to help out with 2/3? Like, the negotiation itself is what leads to the arranged marriage?

Edited by Meraxa

Sorry, I’ve been house sitting. It has made getting online difficult. 

Im loving all of these ideas. A character from one of those displaced families sounds great. So should I just iron out some of her families details? Am I working with a more or less blank canvas here outside of the fact that it’s a displaced aristocrat? 

And yeah, since 2 and 3 both deal with Aspyn then working it into her part of the plot sounds ideal. 

So, as SC figures out the details of their character, how shall we otherwise start this? With the proposition of the arrangement itself, or with one having largely been arranged offscreen, and the characters are just ironing out final details with a face to face meeting?

16 minutes ago, Meraxa said:

So, as SC figures out the details of their character, how shall we otherwise start this? With the proposition of the arrangement itself, or with one having largely been arranged offscreen, and the characters are just ironing out final details with a face to face meeting?

I think probably the latter since that’ll allow you (and anyone else interested!) to her started without having to wait for my availability 

Ok I'm back again! 

I've figured out some character basics (name, history... ect…) I feel a little apprehensive writing out a bio for her right now, just because other then the few things I've ironed out, she feels pretty much like one those characters I'd have to write out and play with before I could really set anything in stone. I don't really want to trap myself in doing so. Her name is Te'a Marish. Spell check loves her name! ?

I really like the idea of having some arrangements premade. Who would be meeting face to face? Where are we starting? I should be available nearly every day now from here on out for the next few weeks. 

At minimum, Te'a and Amira. If @supernal is available then we can toss in Ampelos too. Given the nature of the suggestions, having the location be in Aspyn, perhaps in part at some other pre-arranged affair - say, the debut of another member of the family - seems like the way to go. If you have another suggestion for an event, feel free to make one. Just something that we can effectively have going on in the background to add a bit of flavour to things so it's not just a meeting room (except for maybe the act of the formal agreement).

...heck, maybe Amira's arrival at the event might not be entirely what was planned, but she did it for the chance to give the Marish less of a chance to fully prepare (because, you know, manipulative sort that she is).

Alrighty. Here are some thoughts and questions. Would it work for the arrangement of the betrothal to be ironed out via letters or calls? Basically anything, but personal contact? This is a business arrangement based off family reputations and abilities. Perhaps Ampelos has not met Te'a yet. Perhaps Amira is arriving before him to meet her and throw her off as I think you are basically trying to say. 

We are promoting the vineyard through this noble merchant family who will be taking care of many of the business arrangements in Aspyn after this. Ampelos could be in Casper perhaps and then he'll be off to Aspyn to meet the family? I'm kind of just shooting ideas. 

Ok, let me rewrite it all now. This is what my brain has laid out. I'm a messy thinker. 

1. The Marish are preparing for a party to introduce the betrothed and finalize the agreement. 

2. Amira shows up early. 

3. Ampelos is in Casper a few days before this. (this is completely up to Supernal.)

4. The party, during which the business deals are set in stone and Ampelos and Te'a meet. 

5. Anything else afterwards to iron out the true detail of how they get the grants and promote the vineyard.