Jotnotes

Mouths to Feed - Terrenus Skaven Thread

Image result for skaven banner

The Skar Clan, newcomers to Terrenus proper, and the official denizens of the Forgotten Woods, have finally flushed the faefolk from the woods. Now, with room and food, their numbers grow fast--terrifyingly so, and their underground tunnels grow far and deep now. However, the Skaven are not along in this development, as a small trading town has erupted just above the tunnels--and this town is only growing larger and larger as more folk attempt to settle there. This poses problems for the Skaven and humans alike, as soon they will not be able to sustain the entire population.

While they wait for farms to develop and produce, the Skaven and their companions must make do with what they can find--and steal. Of course, raiding and conquering is potentially profitable business for all involved. So, when Lars--the Quartermaster and Mayor of Nesthome--put out the request for scouts, word spread quite quickly. What kind of word? Well, all sorts. Some declare this an act of war, as the Skaven make preparations to invade the rest of Terrenus. Others believe this is a grand opportunity to explore.

Regardless, there's a good bit of coin involved, for those willing to bloody their hands for a rapidly growing swarm of ratmen.

This thread will focus on a small group of companions, with an equally small company of skaven taskmasters. These ratmen have been instructed to scout the world beyond the forgotten woods, identify ideal targets to sack and raid, and mark them somehow. Adventurers are encouraged to help however they can, be it through raiding the towns themselves, trying to scare off the folk living there, or whatever they see fit. Adventurers will be compensated for their efforts, which will also dramatically shape the scope of the Skaven's territory from here on in.

24 minutes ago, The Rabbit Emperor said:

Interesting, a 'help the Skaven' quest is not what I expected when I clicked this thread.

I'm very interested, I don't have a character whose alignment fits with the Skaven but I'll make one!

The Skaven aren't necessarily baddies all the time this time around, mind. In fact, they have a human settlement right on top of their nest, for humans to live in.

I would say that working with the ratmen wouldn't be a chaotic evil endeavor, but probably chaotic neutral or neutral evil, at worse. If your characters just don't like the idea of raiding towns for food and plunder, however, that may be a deal-breaker.

Regardless, we're accepting all kinds!

12 minutes ago, The Rabbit Emperor said:

Yeah, none of my current characters are comfortable raiding towns.

I can easily remedy that though, I'll have a character to show by tomorrow at the latest. 

And if ya don't: Feel free to be a Skaven! The Skarr clan is big, bristly and needs heroes

7 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Raids you say? Count Vito in. He's heard rumors of a giants camp positioned in the Great Pine Barrens, they hoard good loot and will provide plenty of meat.

We'd be happy to have 'em! All meat is good meat.

1 minute ago, Rabbit said:

So how is this gonna work? 

Excellent Question!

Basically, I will be piloting a small group of Skaven Scouts and Raiders: anywhere from 3 to 5 of them, just to flesh out their numbers. The party will be suiting up in Nesthome, then travelling outward in a small tour. The party will be quick, mostly quiet, and rather confrontational when need be. Once they've marked suitable targets, the Skaven Scouts--if they're up to it--and their companions will be leading raids for food, first. They'll have a wagon or two, to carry anything they can grab. 

Ideally, these raids will not be terribly serious, just dipping in, butchering animals and stealing whatever food they can get their hands on. However, if things get ugly, people will likely get hurt, and a few homes may be razed.

If the party is confident that they can sack a town or fort, with backup, they'll mark the town in general, and send for backup. Then, the party can lend a hand in sacking the city with a small army of ravenous, starving ratmen!

If left to my own devices, I'd likely just end up touring a few towns for food, and ending up in the news for murdering a homestead. With a full party? Who knows what we'll get up to!

3 minutes ago, Jotnotes said:

If left to my own devices, I'd likely just end up touring a few towns for food, and ending up in the news for murdering a homestead. With a full party? Who knows what we'll get up to!

Sounds like fun, Vito will be joining you. He'll also be bringing his mount, Floki. He leads his own settlement of ex-slaves, and tho located in Taen, hopes this may create bonds between the two groups. Ready to venture when you are.

The thread'll start up in a few days, I think. I have DnD tomorrow, and I have to hit the gym pretty soon here. That'll give other folks time to consider joining us, too.

1 hour ago, The Rabbit Emperor said:

Meet Aoura Clysdale, civil war refugee and resident of the human/skaven tradetown. 

I like that angle! Living with the Skaven, equally as desperate for food and supplies; makes for an excellent character to write with!