Valucre is a world if ever there was a world, from Terrenus to Genesaris and all the lands left and right and up and below, and on that note how many wars have there been in the world or how many wars are still being waged?

By 'war" I do mean war. "War" in the sense of actual armed conflict between two or more nations, states, nation-states, kingdoms, empires and what have you as opposed to gang feuds or pocketed skirmishes.

Further, I'll include wars that are restricted to lore/worldbuilding over IC development. As in, a particular land in Valucre might have had a war waged in its history without that war being roleplayed out in real time. War is war, whether it's in the history books or an open IC thread.

As an example of the former, Orisia has suffered civil war time and again in its history. Before, during and after the royal House of Beauchene claimed the throne, civil wars plagued the Island of Summer. As far as I know, however, this has not been roleplayed outyet.

Conversely, in IC real time roleplay, Ataraxy's invasion of Nu Martyr saw his PC, Lilith Reiter, seek a certain crown with the backing of other roleplayers' PCs and triggering a defense of PCs on the other side in real time.

So, all in all, I'm hoping for a diverse input to my query; answers from people who have observed or experienced wars in Valucre, landowners who have such wars in their history books, and a variety therein.
Who knows, getting this information might even allow us to compile a list of wars and even add a timeline to that list.

Hit me!

Off the top of my head

1. Commander's War (CoP v. Nu Martyr)
  2. War of Light (Taen v. Damien Gillick's UM)
  3. The Plague (It was kind of a war, kind of not, but CoP members released a plague in Casper and there was a massive battle between the megacity and the undead which included Peacekeepers)
  4. Datsuzoko War (Predator's Keep v. Datsu. By far my favorite cause it was really funny)
  5. War of Continents (Terrenus v. Genesaris)

Edit: Datsuzoku is @Twitterpated's thing, so they did not go to war with PK. I'm blanking on the name of the place that red fought tho. That place with neondragon. Hmmmmmmm wtf was that place called again

Edited by Ataraxy

I'm not sure if it still counts as canon, but there was a war fought between the Knights of the New Dawn and the demons occupying Iselyr. It's part of the Watchers backstory. 

There was an offscreen war between a rebel faction in Cosanastre, Sector 2 and its previous regime under a tyrant called Noice, but again that's of dubious canon.

Armed conflict as I'm aware of is somewhat rare on Valucre, but I very much do intend to participate in as many more as possible. 

1 hour ago, Sir Nathaniel said:

I'm not sure if it still counts as canon, but there was a war fought between the Knights of the New Dawn and the demons occupying Iselyr. It's part of the Watchers backstory. 

There was an offscreen war between a rebel faction in Cosanastre, Sector 2 and its previous regime under a tyrant called Noice, but again that's of dubious canon.

Armed conflict as I'm aware of is somewhat rare on Valucre, but I very much do intend to participate in as many more as possible. 

If it isn't canon but hasn't been officially negated then I'll take it.

My question would concern whether or not there have been "wars" as compared to "battles" 

Has anyone roleplayed a long term conflict over multiple threads, with moments of aggression, moments of reprieve, territory gained, territory lost, diplomacy in between? A plot that spans IC months? Takes long term tolls on infrastructure and population...etc?

Or, as I more suspect, are most "war" roleplays on Valucre in fact just set piece battles? 

1 hour ago, Vansin said:

My question would concern whether or not there have been "wars" as compared to "battles" 

Has anyone roleplayed a long term conflict over multiple threads, with moments of aggression, moments of reprieve, territory gained, territory lost, diplomacy in between? A plot that spans IC months? Takes long term tolls on infrastructure and population...etc?

Or, as I more suspect, are most "war" roleplays on Valucre in fact just set piece battles? 

That's exactly what my question is.

I'm looking for actual armed conflict, not one-off battles. However, a war can also last just for a battle. If this nation goes to war with that nation and the conflict is solved in a single battle then it's still a war.

Just now, Die Shize said:

That's exactly what my question is.

I'm looking for actual armed conflict, not one-off battles. However, a war can also last just for a battle. If this nation goes to war with that nation and the conflict is solved in a single battle then it's still a war.

I see. 

Obviously while for practical purposes it's far easier to write a single battle and call it a war than actually write a war, I don't think that's really how it ought to be defined. I had a battle of 30 raiders attacking the small town of Coth once and while I could have called it a war it would have been pretty disingenuous if I'd done so. 

So obviously the factors to consider are scale, duration, and ramifications when declaring something a war worthy of your list. Specifically what should not count is someone saying "I called it a war so its a war"

13 minutes ago, Vansin said:

For the two instances I’ve advanced yes, with the exception of diplomacy since for both instances diplomatic conversations weren’t an option. The other stuff hits just fine though 

I’d be interested to see how the others hold up! Great litmus 

1 hour ago, Vansin said:

I see. 

Obviously while for practical purposes it's far easier to write a single battle and call it a war than actually write a war, I don't think that's really how it ought to be defined. I had a battle of 30 raiders attacking the small town of Coth once and while I could have called it a war it would have been pretty disingenuous if I'd done so. 

So obviously the factors to consider are scale, duration, and ramifications when declaring something a war worthy of your list. Specifically what should not count is someone saying "I called it a war so its a war"

But were the 30 raiders sent from a nation, state, faction? Was it a spontaneous battle or a consequence of actual war? If not, then that's I'd call a 'one-off' battle and I wouldn't count it as something I'm personally looking for.

On the other hand, if one country has declared war on another country, troops mobilize, spies and sabotage occur even, and finally the first battle takes place that happens to be the last battle, then that's a war to me as far as what I'm personally after.

4 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

But were the 30 raiders sent from a nation, state, faction? Was it a spontaneous battle or a consequence of actual war? If not, then that's I'd call a 'one-off' battle and I wouldn't count it as something I'm personally looking for.

On the other hand, if one country has declared war on another country, troops mobilize, spies and sabotage occur even, and finally the first battle takes place that happens to be the last battle, then that's a war to me as far as what I'm personally after.

So a war, to make it to your list, must be declared by a formal state and possess all the trappings of a state war? 

Sensible, though I think that disqualifies some examples put forward in this thread. I'm glad it does! I think you opening up this question was like an irresistible lure that was about to attract every user who wants to brag about their "war" without having the real qualifications to do so. 

Good luck with your list. I look forward to adding a real war of my own to it in due time. 

Athentha is gripped by one long war among many different factions led by powerful beings. The factions I can recall without referencing previous threads are supporters of the Dark Winged Beast Rin, the serpent Serphus (who is disguised as Esben Eden), the Blood Red Moon organization, the Yellow Leaf Brigade, leaders of Talia and more. All of these are played out IC. 

@Rin correct me if I’m wrong!

Edited by jaistlyn

1 hour ago, Vansin said:

So a war, to make it to your list, must be declared by a formal state and possess all the trappings of a state war? 

Sensible, though I think that disqualifies some examples put forward in this thread. I'm glad it does! I think you opening up this question was like an irresistible lure that was about to attract every user who wants to brag about their "war" without having the real qualifications to do so. 

Good luck with your list. I look forward to adding a real war of my own to it in due time. 

I'm not compiling a 'list' to begin with. I'm looking for wars because I want to pick one to refer to one of my PCs as having been in. A list is just an idea that might stem from examples people provide but it's not my mission.

When I say 'war' I don't strictly refer to a formal state vs a formal state. If there's a megacorporation with an army that declares war on a roving horde of orcs then that's fine by me!

I admittedly have yet to backtrack on the examples so far, but a quick one would be the one I was involved in, which is Ataraxy's war on Nu Martyr. That to me is a war. Cult of Power is not a nation, state, kingdom or empire as far as I know but there was still a 'war' that they waged with Nu Martyr.

I can't, don't and won't control what people want to post in this thread. Hopefully the kind of 'war' that I'm gearing toward makes sense enough for someone to respond accordingly but if people want to name random battles then, well, maybe that will help someone who is looking for battles and not wars lol