I think you should reconsider that. War is a political and legal term which rightly ought to derive from state powers. 

A mob, religion (unless that religion is the theocratic government), movement, race, or company shouldn't be able to claim the term "war" under its purview. 

However, if your thread really is just to list "conflicts" that have the scent of war, then I wish you luck and hope you find the right one for your character. 

1 minute ago, Vansin said:

I think you should reconsider that. War is a political and legal term which rightly ought to derive from state powers. 

A mob, religion (unless that religion is the theocratic government), movement, race, or company shouldn't be able to claim the term "war" under its purview. 

However, if your thread really is just to list "conflicts" that have the scent of war, then I wish you luck and hope you find the right one for your character. 

That’s one definition of “war” but another definition of the term isn’t limited to nations or states or nation-states, but loosely to two or more opposing forces. “Conflict” is definitely acceptable too but I’ll take either term in relation to the chosen definition and what I’m pushing for here. My poor character’s past shall be plunged into one or the other eventually!

When I was originally under the mistaken assumption that you were interested in compiling a list I was of the opinion that care should be taken to separate colloquial war from real war. 

Now that you've informed me that isn't the objective of this thread, I think it's not my place to encourage any real guideline. 

However if someone does end up compiling such a list, I would certainly argue that only a state can foment war against another entity, with the sole exception of a civil war in which a state foments war against itself. 

4 minutes ago, Vansin said:

When I was originally under the mistaken assumption that you were interested in compiling a list I was of the opinion that care should be taken to separate colloquial war from real war. 

Now that you've informed me that isn't the objective of this thread, I think it's not my place to encourage any real guideline. 

However if someone does end up compiling such a list, I would certainly argue that only a state can foment war against another entity, with the sole exception of a civil war in which a state foments war against itself. 

Your angle makes sense based on your assumption, of which your proposed guideline would be quite valid, any misunderstanding of this thread’s purpose is overlooked and moved beyond. Perhaps my OP is in need of adjustment to better clarify my intentions with this thread and help mitigate if not eliminate any future concerns regarding different types of war and what I’m looking for.

Now you shall join me on the bridge as we take the Enterprise to the Cardassian-Klingon-Romulan front. I’ll drive. ENGAGE

Edited by Die Shize

1 hour ago, jaistlyn said:

Athentha is gripped by one long war among many different factions led by powerful beings. The factions I can recall without referencing previous threads are supporters of the Dark Winged Beast Rin, the serpent Serphus (who is disguised as Esben Eden), the Blood Red Moon organization, the Yellow Leaf Brigade, leaders of Talia and more. All of these are played out IC. 

@Rin correct me if I’m wrong!

You're correct. I had to re-read it twice cause I was confused for a moment. But still correct.

Honestly, there are a hecking lot of wars on Valucre. It’s just that they mostly tend to be small-scale conflicts restricted to a single region with a few skirmishes at most, because keeping players committed to a prolonged and complex campaign of battles is hard.

The downfall of Tia, the invasion of Last Change, and the dispute between Predator’s Keep and the Dasua Barony have already been brought up, but here are a few more I’ve been involved in:

- The last stand of Biazo’s undead. When the Terrenus military came in to clean up the ruins of Biazo, Schrei and a bunch of other vampires got mad and started setting their stuff on fire and trying to fight them off. The resistance was short-lived, but it was fun while it lasted.

- Gang war in Lessertown when Kim Osa decided to take over the place. Basically she took advantage of another character’s attempt to invade Cosanastre proper, framed the Don in charge of Lessertown for the whole thing to set off a conflict, and then took him out in the ensuing chaos.

- Patia’s ill-fated invasion of Weland, which was scuttled by OOC drama before it really got started. They also tried to take over the land bridge to Biazo, which went similarly poorly.

- Beast once helped defend a city in Genesaris when it was besieged by an army of shadowy creatures from who-knows-where, though I believe that thread was left unfinished.

- And last but not least, the Spires event in Terrenus. Though hardly a conventional war, it involved an incursion on multiple fronts by a foreign power that resulted in plenty of large-scale violence, so I’d say it counts.

Edited by bfc

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, Die Shize said:

Valucre is a world if ever there was a world, from Terrenus to Genesaris and all the lands left and right and up and below, and on that note how many wars have there been in the world or how many wars are still being waged?

By 'war" I do mean war. "War" in the sense of actual armed conflict between two or more nations, states, nation-states, kingdoms, empires and what have you as opposed to gang feuds or pocketed skirmishes.

Further, I'll include wars that are restricted to lore/worldbuilding over IC development. As in, a particular land in Valucre might have had a war waged in its history without that war being roleplayed out in real time. War is war, whether it's in the history books or an open IC thread.

As an example of the former, Orisia has suffered civil war time and again in its history. Before, during and after the royal House of Beauchene claimed the throne, civil wars plagued the Island of Summer. As far as I know, however, this has not been roleplayed outyet.

Conversely, in IC real time roleplay, Ataraxy's invasion of Nu Martyr saw his PC, Lilith Reiter, seek a certain crown with the backing of other roleplayers' PCs and triggering a defense of PCs on the other side in real time.

So, all in all, I'm hoping for a diverse input to my query; answers from people who have observed or experienced wars in Valucre, landowners who have such wars in their history books, and a variety therein.
Who knows, getting this information might even allow us to compile a list of wars and even add a timeline to that list.

Hit me!

I've already got something HUGE Planned. The Rembrandt Project is almost finished note-wise. I just gotta fix my other PC, which keeps over-heating, lol. It's for RP and Media Entertainment.

Another three weeks, then HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!!

Benny

Historically, the Norkotians had an almost 400-year off-and-on war against the Vulks (aka, The Vulkish Wars), though it wasn't 400 years of straight war. Rather it was numerous conflicts, some single battles, some several battles, which sparked and died down over a long period, and kind of got lumped together. You could say it is similar to the Hundred Years War, or the conflicts between the United States and Native Americans.

More recently, I don't know if my current battle in Forsthaven counts as a full war or not, but Forsthaven considered itself a quasi-independent vassal (under the Terran Empire) and rejected Norkotia's overtures to annexation. Subsequently a planned siege and invasion occurred.