Jump to content
supernal

The Boys 2019 [tv]

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Ataraxy said:

It's on my to watch list. Glad to know it's good! I'll bump it up

Since this is moving the needle for you I’ll clarify I’ve only seen three eps. They can mess it up at the mid game or with the finale - but so far so good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, supernal said:

Since this is moving the needle for you I’ll clarify I’ve only seen three eps. They can mess it up at the mid game or with the finale - but so far so good 

It was p good. Not a whole lot of episodes but the acting was good and plot was well written. The finale was okay, though it has a twist that 100% made it better. It didn't really have any "yell at the tv moments" but is definitely a good series if you liked kick-ass but wanted actual powers lol

I add my recommendation to Carlos'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 4:17 AM, Ataraxy said:

It was p good. Not a whole lot of episodes but the acting was good and plot was well written. The finale was okay, though it has a twist that 100% made it better. It didn't really have any "yell at the tv moments" but is definitely a good series if you liked kick-ass but wanted actual powers lol

I add my recommendation to Carlos'

You’re fast buddy. At least I know the time isn’t going to waste as I work through the episodes 

I’ve heard “doom patrol” from dc mentioned as something to follow up on after the boys if you liked the boys. Heard or seen anything like that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, supernal said:

You’re fast buddy. At least I know the time isn’t going to waste as I work through the episodes 

I’ve heard “doom patrol” from dc mentioned as something to follow up on after the boys if you liked the boys. Heard or seen anything like that? 

I caught a glimpse of it since Doom Patrol is a spin off from the Titans live action and although I love spin offs, what i saw didn't really interest/ hype me a lot. I haven't heard anything about it since it came out, so it's just remained static on my list lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished the boys and found it to be quite enjoyable. I hear it already got renewed for a s2, which is a good marks for it, but also I feel like s1 didn't "fully complete" and am left a little dissatisfied. I understand they were probably doing that deliberately with an s2 in mind but still them's the breaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I binged this in a single day, yesterday. Definitely was hooked and enjoyed it. The writing was good, but I felt the pace becoming a bit lethargic towards the end and the last couple of episodes filled more and more with scenes of empty/unproductive dialogue. It felt like they were holding out on us, saving source material for subsequent seasons.

That said, what kept me around was the spectacular and realistic world-building. Superheroes exist and they are American. Unfortunately, the American values they espouse have more to do with unfettered capitalism, ruthless pragmatism, and the military-industrial complex than with protecting the innocent. And they rule largely unchecked over the rest of us mortals, backed by an Apple-sized corporation capable of fielding armies of lawyers, PR consultants, and social media quants. 

Yeah. This, not the MCU, is how things would be in our world.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:49 PM, supernal said:

My hero academia + watchmen = the boys 

I like this comparison, and it brings to mind an issue I have with MHA. The Boys makes a really, really good case for there being anti-hero villains. The "heroes" are manipulative, greedy, and occasionally psychopathic and drug-addicted. The villains are ousting these horrible people from power. Whereas I had a hard time being convinced by the villains' motivations in MHA. The hero society in MHA works pretty well. It has some flab that needs to be trimmed, but for the most part it's an equitable society. A lot of those villains are just bad people doing bad people things. Even Stain had me scratching my head. I'm not faulting them too hard for this - it's a kids cartoon/manga after all. Just an observation.

Edited by Witch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...