Jotnotes

[Skarr Clan] Mouths to Feed OOC

Props to you for getting a post out so expeditiously @SteamWarden

It's a bit on the wee side, so it's not really great for introducing your character, or yourself to anybody else in the thread, however. If you feel like adjusting that, adding to it or what not, feel free to.

Also, if you do go back into it, I am obligated to let you know that

A portal rips open and Ragnar lands next to the raiding group. Upon seeing the group he doesn't move except to look around. A black cloaked Skarr, glaive wielding Skarr, a crossbow wielding Skarr, an obviously highly magical Skarr, a person and his reptilian mount and a massive party of goblinoid creatures with their mounts. With a bow towards the magical Skarr. "Name's Ragnar. Here to raid." He puts a hand on each of his weapons and smirks. As he puts his hands down, Fenris comes running and slides to a stop beside Ragnar. The dire wolf 4 inches taller than it's owner, reaching 7 feet in height. Quietly the dire wolf stares at Vito and Floki, sensing something familiar to them.

It's Skaven, and not Skarr. Did you need a link to the Skaven's landing page? I can provide that, if need be.

46 minutes ago, Jotnotes said:

It's Skaven, and not Skarr. Did you need a link to the Skaven's landing page? I can provide that, if need be.

That was an misread on my part. Read Skarr in the title and my mind went to "oh these ratfolk are Skarr." Will edit Skarr to Skaven. Also as for the post being the way it is, I'm getting back onto Val after readjusting to my new job so I'm still trying to get back into my usual writing self.

17 minutes ago, SteamWarden said:

That was an misread on my part. Read Skarr in the title and my mind went to "oh these ratfolk are Skarr." Will edit Skarr to Skaven. Also as for the post being the way it is, I'm getting back onto Val after readjusting to my new job so I'm still trying to get back into my usual writing self.

Life happens, and I get that. If you feel like it, you could even take down the post for the time being, and republish one that you're more proud of. Trying to get back into writing is difficult, and I feel that. I think we should all put our best work out, so that people have the best impression of us at all times.

Now that we've all had time to post and talk amongst ourselves, allow me to explain what we're up to.

Lb6Tb6P.png

Direct your attention to Nesthome. We have to find food, and in order to do so are branching out from there, out of the Forgotten Woods, in search of houses and homes to raid.

Our goal is to find potential targets (unmarked ones, for the most part, unless things change), determine whether or not we want to sack them or not. Should we choose to, we posse up and attempt to take the target in a glorious, probably 2-page long fight or so.

Should we come upon a larger, more difficult to raid city or town, we can call for backup, which has some inherent risks for us to take. For one thing, we'll be signalling for help, calling for our own reinforcements, and once enemy scouts spy us, they'll call for help as well (depending on what we're attacking, I might even ask faction leaders to join us temporarily, to better martial their forces!)

Now, whether we actually want to tackle a mark is based on group consensus. If we all agree, we can attack a townstead. If some of us disagree (morally, or for some other reason), they don't have to participate. 

Some raids might be too small to worry about a conflict being written out. In those situations, we'll probably just succeed automatically. Otherwise, it's fight night!

Finding towns and such, speaking of which, is likely to be left up to flavor text, and that's on you guys! If you have something to help the party find towns, farms or cities, include it in your posts! Track potential targets! Look for smoke stacks! Lifestock! Things like that!

And lastly, our victory conditions.

We'll be measuring our looting by how many days, in theory, the food we collect will feed Tradetown and Nesthome for.

To put that into perspective: A kitchen in our own world feeds about 100,000 people daily, using over 10,000 rolls of bread and 1.5 tonnes of lentil soup. A pound of grain can make about 1 loaf of rough bread, and a bushel of wheat is about 90 pounds of grain.

So, there's probably no real way to feed the entirety of the masses through raiding alone, but we're not focused on saving the Skaven hordes on one single trip. This is just to buy them more time for farms to take hold, and traders to come back. So, the more food we collect, the better off the Skaven/Human machine will grow!

Math and junk aside, we're about ready to have a good time! Posting order is going to be pretty lax--instead of having a fixed setup, I would ask that everyone choose a day that works for them, or two, and make those days plain. Then, do your best to fall into a sort of natural posting order--put out a post on your days, if you feel it necessary, or announce that you won't be posting on that day. 

You're welcome to dialogue, track, inner monologue or anything in between in your posts. Get to know your fellow raiders! Soak in the sights! Whatever pleases you!

All sounds good to me.

I'll say up front that I am shooting for a larger settlement to raid, like a town, if anyone wants to comply. That way we know off the bat what kind of IC course we can work toward.

As far as posting goes, I don't really have specific 'days' that works best for me. In general, I can get a post out every three days but that's really determined by when I feel like it's my 'turn' to post based on who has already posted. I try to wait for others to get a post in before I do

45 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

All sounds good to me.

I'll say up front that I am shooting for a larger settlement to raid, like a town, if anyone wants to comply. That way we know off the bat what kind of IC course we can work toward.

As far as posting goes, I don't really have specific 'days' that works best for me. In general, I can get a post out every three days but that's really determined by when I feel like it's my 'turn' to post based on who has already posted. I try to wait for others to get a post in before I do

I'll be following the path that yields the biggest profit, might as well go big whilst we're here.

33 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

I'll be following the path that yields the biggest profit, might as well go big whilst we're here.

Veron Blacktear always follows the path that yields the biggest profit. Follow him and the rest is a feast.

Towns are the top tier of our bounty, under the circumstances. More people, more infrastructure, more business, more food, more opportunities.

Only drawback is more opposition but that’s nothing new to Veron. I say bring on the PCs. We’ll make a game of it!

Edited by Die Shize

@Jotnotes

So I’m doing research on Valucre Skaven to brush up on everything. I’ve got pages marked and such—that’s how I knew how to describe Shkei!

One thing that caught my eye is an IC thread (I forgot which; not marked on my phone that I’m now on) where I believe Lars had noticed that the Skaven don’t, well, seem to call themselves Skaven. The rats appeared unaware of the word and so Lars made the deduction that “Skaven” is a name applied to them by others. There’s a line in your post drawing attention to the question of where, then, the name “Skaven” comes from.

By any chance is there another section on this site that covers the answer to that question?

52 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

@Jotnotes

So I’m doing research on Valucre Skaven to brush up on everything. I’ve got pages marked and such—that’s how I knew how to describe Shkei!

One thing that caught my eye is an IC thread (I forgot which; not marked on my phone that I’m now on) where I believe Lars had noticed that the Skaven don’t, well, seem to call themselves Skaven. The rats appeared unaware of the word and so Lars made the deduction that “Skaven” is a name applied to them by others. There’s a line in your post drawing attention to the question of where, then, the name “Skaven” comes from.

By any chance is there another section on this site that covers the answer to that question?

Not currently, now, but given that your character has a Skaven backstory, I can supply some remedial stuff on it.

Basically, Skaven are an ancient subrace of fae, likely having some shared ancestors someplace far down the road with many magical and non-magical races, and the name Skaven sort of refers not to the race on its own, but followers of the Pale Rat, a powerful fae deity that bestowed upon them a unique mania. Since the species' conception, they were largely paranoid of one another, and fought tirelessly over territory, food and mates, like animals might. Eventually, this mistrust of one another, and of each other drove the followers of the Pale Rat belowground for years, to fight their pointless wars in the dirt and stone.

The Skaven don't have a name for themselves, largely because their language doesn't account for it. Undercommon (How Skaven speak common) is kind of jumbled, linking words like thing, place, stuff and so forth to the end of words, just to clarify what they are. There's not a lot of adjectives, or variety in Undercommon, so 'rats' are referred to as 'rats' and Skaven are 'rat-men.' Elves are considered 'Fae-Things', and so on.

There's also this page here, which provides some background.

2 hours ago, Jotnotes said:

Not currently, now, but given that your character has a Skaven backstory, I can supply some remedial stuff on it.

Basically, Skaven are an ancient subrace of fae, likely having some shared ancestors someplace far down the road with many magical and non-magical races, and the name Skaven sort of refers not to the race on its own, but followers of the Pale Rat, a powerful fae deity that bestowed upon them a unique mania. Since the species' conception, they were largely paranoid of one another, and fought tirelessly over territory, food and mates, like animals might. Eventually, this mistrust of one another, and of each other drove the followers of the Pale Rat belowground for years, to fight their pointless wars in the dirt and stone.

The Skaven don't have a name for themselves, largely because their language doesn't account for it. Undercommon (How Skaven speak common) is kind of jumbled, linking words like thing, place, stuff and so forth to the end of words, just to clarify what they are. There's not a lot of adjectives, or variety in Undercommon, so 'rats' are referred to as 'rats' and Skaven are 'rat-men.' Elves are considered 'Fae-Things', and so on.

There's also this page here, which provides some background.

Cool. Thanks for the info and yep the clan page is one that I have marked for reading!

Some inspired similarities with Warhammer’s Skaven with original twists for Valucre. I like it.