supernal

A dollar for your sword

"A magnet," Will answered simply, his gaze sweeping over the pipe walls as he and Luke's light glinted off the metal. In truth, Luke's voice had startled him, a deep noise shattering the silence he'd grown accustomed to. The two were glowing now, brighter than Luke had been in the beginning. He welcomed the change and walked further down the pipe. 

At the presenting of a jelly fish limb, Will frowned and eyed the object warily. "Jelly fish are bigger than this. Did Mone shrink a jellyfish and...lose it in the sink?" The question hung in the air for a moment, open ended and grim to think about. He sighed, however. Regardless of how interesting Luke's find was, jellyfish were not the goal of this expedition. That ring...where was it?

Their footfalls echoed through the chamber, loud and resonant against the rushing water that surged beyond their vision. He could feel himself getting concerned, and the thread he held was growing smaller and smaller. How deep could they go before it ran out? How deep could they go without it? The path ahead suddenly grew dark, despite their combined light. Will's eyes widened and he stopped abruptly. 

A drop. Another drop. "Get ready climb down," Will murmured, his voice distracted. He tossed the bundle of thread down the abyss, concerned when he didn't hear a good weight hit the pipe flooring below. It would be quite an abyss, then. With a grunt, Will leapt, catching the swaying rope with his hands and using his legs to steady his motion against the walls. From there it was a familiar procedure. The strain of his muscles was a welcome sensation, warmer than the cold atmosphere of these damned pipes. 

Around him, white light illuminated what he expected it to. Glistening walls, slick with moisture and mottled from erosion. He grunted at the sight and continued to ease himself down. 

Suddenly, his feet hit something that felt solid, but was definitely not pipe solid. He whipped his head down to see a glistening material that he eventually recognized as webbing. It flexed at his force, woven intricately to impede his path downward. Really? So the rope hit this instead. He looked around, satisfied when he caught sight of the bundle a bit left of him. It'd bounced and was now resting  precariously on the nest edge. No knife, however, and the crossbow was too clunky to maneuver. Would the webs hold his weight? I don't want to risk it. 

"Ah," Will called, "Luke. Do you think you could push the thread lower so I can climb down? I'm not sure if your abilities allow for that kind of thing, but if so..."

"A magnet," Luke nodded, the thought somehow slipping his mind for a brief moment.  Stopping Luke leaned against one of the rusted tunnel walls.

"Jelly fish are bigger than this. Did Mone shrink a jellyfish and...lose it in the sink?"

The thought lingered in the air for a moment, Luke dismissed it, they never questioned where Mone's moral compass lay and Luke honestly didn't care.

"I guess its been a while since I've been straining myself, specally' underwater." He followed a few feet behind his partner as they traveled threw the seemingly ancient pipes.

Luke shook his head with a soft smirk as he started his breathing technique, deep breaths birthed the bright, spacial like mist from his core, a brighter light cut threw the tunnel as he relaxed himself. It feels good though, stretching out like this . Their combined light showering the pipe reveling the distant black pit in their path. They both noticed it around the same time, Will making it there a head of him, gazing down into the abyss 

"Get ready climb down"

Luke nodded in agreement watching as Will threw his bundle down over the edge, falling silently Luke caught a glimpse of Wills worried expression before he descended into the abyss. Walking himself to the edge Luke peered over, looking down on to Will scaling down the rustic walls. Below him Luke could vaguely make out a reflective line, a spiders web. Bouncing as will settled on it light bounced off just the same allowing Luke to see the nests on either side.  Wait if there are children, I'd hate to see the adults  Images of the massive jellies scattered threw Luke's mind, he didn't need any more poison in his system.

"Ah," Will called, "Luke. Do you think you could push the thread lower so I can climb down? I'm not sure if your abilities allow for that kind of thing, but if so..."

Luke leaned ever so closer to the edge "Yeah, I'll be down in just a sec-"

Pain from the rash buckled his knees sharply and suddenly he was falling at the mercy  of the abyss. Head first he dove down the pipe lucky enough to hit the webbing head on gathering more in his fall as the nests shook and fell into the depths and all the webbing being torn from its hold by a falling mass they couldn't hold so in stead latched on to freeing Will's descend.

"Out of ALL MY LUCK" 

Luke spat against the wind, ripping that he could of the thread off of him the sticky webbing refusing sticking to him like another layer of skin.

Cover, protect, force  Luke's right hand glowed as the magical mist revolved into and around it creating a clear gauntlet Float, dig, rise  thought the spider webbing did nothing to fully stop Luke they did slow him down enough, with the combined force of the webbing and Lukes own magic he slowed, drifting his fall close to the pipe walling expending a his right hand which touched with sparks, his fingers eating into the wall leaving a fingered marking as he leaned himself onto the fall, the resistance finally stopping him, using the now graved wall as hand placements he lifted his left arm, allowing the bundle of jellyfish flesh to fall on the now in range floor.

"HEY WILL SORRY ABOUT THAT"

He yelled in the tunnel above himself, slowly sliding down the wall, his magic somewhat controlling his decent as it wasn't strong enough to make him float but helped resist the fall. A bend helping him greatly as the floor closeted 

Sliding down the grime covered walls urged him,right then and there to empty his stomach but he had to resist and he did, the faster he could reach a shower the better. He continued to slide, carefully, regretfully he slid eliminating more spiders webs that would have gotten in Will's way. In a few minutes he lands, half covered in webs he started to detach them from lower half, which took long enough.

No way. Will swallowed a loud laugh as Luke fell past him and tore the webs apart. Instead he made his way down, trusting that his partner would be able to protect himself. He hastened the process however. Indeed as he descended he found himself taking risks he normally wouldn't have. That was unreal, he thought to himself with a soft grin. 

When he reached the bottom of the pipe, Will seized the bundle of thread and looked at Luke out of curiosity. "You all right? Tell me you didn't crush that stone..." Luke didn't seem to teleporting so he took that as a good sign. 

He turned to the opening of the pipe and sighed. More to go. As he moved to explore, though, Will caught sight of something curious. A bundle of webs, wound around an object, nestled cozily in the curve of the pipe. He frowned and moved toward it. It could be many things, more likely the future meal of a hungry spider. Still, he envisioned in his mind a scenario in which a curious spider spotted a strange ring in its home and sought to preserve it. At the thought of this Will's heart beat faster and he rushed to the cocoon. Out of reflex he reached for his knife but, when it wasn't there, he pulled a bolt from his quiver and used the arrowhead to cut through the webbing. Was this it?

Ah, definitely not. 

The smell hit him first, wet air loaded with the scent of rot and wet flesh. Will fell back in disgust and covered his mouth as the contents of the cocoon were revealed. A body? Gods why? 

He cast his eyes to the man's clothing, too disgusted to keep looking at the corpse. It'd been sickly, skin peeling off after lack of exposure to moisture. Eyes closed, but sunken in, and a ghastly cry frozen on a stretched face. Those robes...they belonged to a mage, right? He groaned and ventured closer, fingers reaching around the man's clothing to reveal a crumpled note, strange device, and small note. Will turned to look at Luke. 

"How many people did that wizard send into these pipes?" he demanded. His voice cracked from the sheer confusion he felt, blood rushing to his face as he looked back at the items in his hands. These damn tunnels were getting to him. The note - what did it say? The writing was smudged, letters rushed as if the dead man had been pressed for time.

In Will's mind he could see the spider approaching this poor soul from on high. 

Slow, methodically. 8 eyes glittering with the glint of a hunter. Reflected in them was a man, fearing for his life. Hoping that he'd be found in time. Backing away slowly, a pen in one hand and a paper in the other. Writing furiously. Writing...what?

Mone LIES

Will's heart thudded like a drum, the thump seeming to echo through the chamber that was this damned pipe. He stared at the note for a long moment. His mind was whirling, thoughts spiraling down to come to a distinct conclusion: he and Luke were not the first. In most cases, that was fine. Where one adventurer failed, another might succeed but...why not tell them? And what the hell does this note mean? 

He looked at Luke, managing a weak grin as he passed the man the note. "I'm not sure what this is," he began quietly, "but be on high alert. We can decide to keep going, or crush that gem and ask Mone some questions right now. Regardless, something's wrong." He pushed past and looked around the pipe, thinking.

Finally: "I say we forge ahead. Get the ring, crush the gem, and get our answers with leverage. But," he added, "if you want to end it here I'll support you. I can't force us both to keep going. 

"Our professor... he wouldn't put us in shifty situation right? I'm really not sure." He twirled the device in his hand, musing on the purpose and the contents of the potion. What was that man's story?

Edited by ticklefarte

Luke, now rid of most of the webs that stuck to him, watched Will descend. He could see the soft grin is partner tried to hide from a distance and he didn't blame him for it instead he smiled a slightly and waited for Will to reach him. Taking the extra time he produced a small bit of mist which provided them a little more unneeded light as they both had been their own sources of light for a while.

"You all right? Tell me you didn't crush that stone.. "

Luke took the question as a light gab and a joke, ignoring it as he turned to continue their path and picking up the bundle of the jelly fish limb. There was more piping to cover and threw the lights edges, just barely visible Luke saw a bundle of webbing and clumps, at first glance Luke thought it could be their salvation. Until the faint smell grazed him. Most of Lukes senses were better than the average, much better and even finer tuned by years of training. He stopped, Will continued down the path as Luke thoughts raced What died? More importantly where is the thing that killed it? 

Will ventured forward noticing the tangled webs after Luke, taking almost immediate action rushing tit and slicing it open with one of his cross bow bolts. The wave of rotting corpse spread threw the tunnel, Luke walked up behind Will looking into the contents of the pod. Robes of a mage, a piece of paper, and a strange device all on a corpse a few days away from being bare bones. Will turned and looked back at Luke, the look on his face was that of distraught and confusion.

"How many people did that wizard send into these pipes?"

Luke avoided his gaze, Will's emotion making him shy away. He'd seen this side of magic for years and even when avoiding it that side of the world never altered.

"I don't know, maybe some people just couldn't handle the pipes? We can't control who fails but we can finish this out so no one else has to risk their lives down here."

Luke laid his hand on Wills shoulder, what little comfort he could provide as mere hours ago they were, and in many ways still are, complete strangers. As Will opened the letter they both gazed onto the two words that threw their situation into mental spirals.

Mone LIES

In scratched letter, the man must have knew he was gonna die here and these letters where the embers of his life. And a warning to others.

Mone, each and every magic user has their secrets. Is this what he meant by he had tested this shrinking before? I've been experimenting with an aerosol. Worry not I've already trialed it several times and can swear to its efficacy if this is what he meant then the two jelly fish and this corpse is three. Where are the other four?

Wills voice broke him out of his thought. Will passed Luke the note and passes Luke,

"I'm not sure what this is," he began quietly, "but be on high alert. We can decide to keep going, or crush that gem and ask Mone some questions right now. Regardless, something's wrong. I say we forge ahead. Get the ring, crush the gem, and get our answers with leverage. But," he added, "if you want to end it here I'll support you. I can't force us both to keep going.

"It wouldn't make sense to end it here. He already told us there was seven attempts and no matter how *he pauses, looking back at the corpse* unfortunate *he looks back to Will* this may seem I think we should finish."

"Our professor... he wouldn't put us in shifty situation right? I'm really not sure.

" I don't know *Luke starts to walk further down the pipe* it would be a good experience if our real target was mone and we had to collect evidence on his possibly illegal experiments *he chuckles* but I think thats a much deeper mission that just a ring ya know? I think thats a little out of our pay grade."

Edited by LukeRipstine

Calcite pool(s)
sea-cave-2445488_1280.jpg
Reference image by Dimitris Vetsikas from Pixabay

1) Pool that is of a diluted and layered blue and green coloration, with the outer ring being green then transitioning to a darker blue near the center. At the bottom of this pool is a glimmering object

Edited by supernal

Definitely higher than our pay grade, Will thought with a hesitant nod. He adjusted the thread and followed Luke slowly. As they left he thought he could feel the eyes of the corpse boring into his back, unseeing but still so angry at their demise. As if eyes could feel. As if they could remain past their host's expiration and curse their fate. 

Still, he walked. Indeed, the two walked for some time down the pipe until a thought flashed through Will's mind, prompting his skin to crawl as he looked around. The faint glow of his skin could only go so far, and definitely wouldn't help right now. The question that arrived persisted against the darkness. It was an obvious one, and he should've asked it earlier. Still...something had killed that man. 

"Where exactly is it?" he asked aloud. He frowned hard and stared at the back of Luke's head. He wondered if, in the next moment, that head would just be gone, seized by a hungry creature that would soon move onto Will himself. He also wondered if he could handle alone it in its home territory and cursed silently. "The spider, I mean. We didn't run into it on the way here, so it's probably somewhere ahead, isn't it..." 

They kept moving despite the deadly potential that Will's question presented. He fumbled with the items in his hand, placing the device in one pocket and the potion in the other so he could properly wield his crossbow. The idea of combat sparked a more vigilant regard for their environment, but also reminded him of his swollen hand. Don't fail me now. 

Eventually the drain system changed as the ground beneath them turned rocky and more forgiving than metal. Something had built up in the pipe, creating a strange collection of mineral that caked the pipe flooring. Pools of liquid formed in this new geography and, at the center of one such pool, was a shiny object. Will looked at the water in surprise, then at Luke. 

"Hold these," he said with a sigh. "I'll get in."  

He handed Luke the device, potion, and note. Then he set his crossbow on the ground and slinked closer to the bank of the pool. It would make sense for the ring to be here, but he'd had that same thought multiple times before and no longer put any faith in his own made up logic. It would also make sense for the ring to be anywhere else in these pipes and, if Will was being completely honest, he wasn't even sure if he wanted to find the damn thing for Mone anymore. Why work for someone you can't trust? 

That didn't stop him from wading into the pool, however. The first step startled his feet, warm water seeping through his boots, then trousers, then shirt. He grunted, but pushed through the sensation and into this strange substance. It stunk with a smell that seemed to singe his nose hairs. Will puffed his cheeks in disgust yet continued to the center. With little preamble, he submerged his face and moved toward the shiny object, fingers grasping at what he prayed was a ring. 

Nope. He took hold of a gem of some sort and, upon surfacing, found that it was a large diamond as he held it up to Luke's innate light. He gagged at the stench around him and quickly slid to the pool's edge, clambering over and onto the ground. He felt his skin tingling and cursed loudly.

"That was stupid of me," he chuckled as he rubbed at his body. That had not been water, and he was sure he could've learned that with a bit of testing. His skin was starting to burn, turning red as he inspected himself. He'd tossed the diamond on the ground and went to retrieve his items from Luke. "We move on," Will announced tiredly. He checked the durability of the thread and found that it was softer than it had been. Not good. His bolts seemed fine, but the arrowheads weren't as fine as they had been. Also bad. Be smarter, Will. 

After picking up his crossbow, he carefully moved along the edge of the first pool and forged ahead. The walls of the pipe began to tremble, however, causing him to slow down. He listened carefully. Rushing water, he thought with a start. "Faster," he hissed. "At this rate we're going to get crushed by the storm water." 

The thread he carried began to twitch. Clearly, somewhere along their journey, water was tampering with their rope. Damn. 

Edited by ticklefarte

They walked down the continued down the pipe in silence, their minds churning, Luke had turned over many possibilities of the mans death, Mone's experiments, and the lurking creatures of the tunnel. The spider nodes mostly likely already been emptied, fueled by now corpse its parents probably still lurked the tunnels and they headed still into the dangerous and controversial unknown. Just your average adventure right? Even so Luke kept a calm demeanor though the calm was exactly like that on a waters surface. Disturbed by the smallest notions. 

The silence was finally broken, from behind him Will spoke up meeting his own thoughts with a question.

"Where exactly is it? The spider, I mean. We didn't run into it on the way here, so it's probably somewhere ahead, isn't it..." 

Luke kept his pace, thinking for only a second. More about calming and making both of us focus.

"I think its moved on, I cant imagine there is much food for them down here but the nests mean there could be more. It would be lucky to bump into one, the chances seem to low. Stay on your toes and watch out backs I'll do the same with the front because even if we do bump into one I don't think we both already have enough scratches"

Luke chuckled lowly, if they had come across a spider it was better to kill it then to let it roam around after the encounter. They couldn't afford to get boxed in and if worst came to even worse they could retreat back or scrap the mission.

Honestly it isn't the simple threat of spiders. Its the threat one of them being another one of Mone's experiments. 

The path they walked down slowly gave way to a stone oasis, the rustic metal piping transforming into hard rock and similar material all formed around two glowing pool with a faint but displeasing smell Luke couldn't put a name to. Maybe sulfuric acid? Luke had no idea but was skeptical Will on the other hand wasn't as he started handling Luke his equipment.

"Wait I dont know if thats saf-"

Luke tried to speak but Will was already off leaving Luke holding a strange device, a strange brew, and the note from earlier stacked cradled in his arms with the bundle of jelly fish flesh. So he watched, the smell it gave off certainly was acidic but if it was high enough Will would certainly take first notice. Right? He carefully eyed Will as he jumped in, Luke was concerned for a moment but Will seemed fine even venturing towards the middle of the pool to dive. 

He turned his attention away from will direction it to the unoccupied pool of water next to the body Will swam threw. They didn't have time to spare. Luke set their items on the ground, away from the pools of water just in case and closeted to the edge of the water standing in its small margin gazing into it. The water was clear, the pond still beneath him. Taking a knee Luke brings himself closer to its surface, inches between them. Luke brings a hand to the surface of the water, hesitantly dipping the tips of his left hand into the water. Retracting them a second later he waited momentarily for a sting, a buzz, or any other give away of the waters hazardous properties. Concentrating he brings the tip of his finger to his nose and then to his mouth, touching it lighting against his tongue none of his tests coming back positive. It was just a simple pool. With such a fresh water source could there really be nothing down here thriving off of it ? He stood, skimming the pool one last time before going back and retrieving their items. Turning his attention back to Will as Luke gathered the potion, device , and note Luke thought, 

Let it finally be the ring, this would be what? The third time ? There had to be some luck in our favor.

As Will rose, the shiny gem glistened in his fist. Luke met him, moving close to the edge of the pool, as he came out. This close to the pool intensified the smell of acid, Luke was surprised that nothing on the mans skin was burning. 

"That was stupid of me," Luke gazed over him watching as a light red hue spread. He was right, it wasn't water "We move on"

"Be more careful, I should have said something but I'm not gonna keep repeating what your already thinking. If it was acidic that other pool seems like it regular water, which is usually neutral but, with all these minerals and it most likely coming from these pipes it shoudl be mroe like tap water which is a base. It will help the burning."

Luke would wait for Wills answer. If it was to quickly dip into the pool Luke would join him, the cooling water would help the rash, if it was to continue then-

Luke handed Will back his things, holding them out and waiting for him to take them before venturing forward again. Now they both had burns, acid and poison. Luke slowed slightly, the rash on his mid section had climbed slowly, just now touching his rib cage. Behind him he could hear Wills worried remarks, somewhere deep off he could hear even more thrashing waves of water, ever so close the storm.

"Faster," he hissed. "At this rate we're going to get crushed by the storm water."

"Yeah, you're right about that. Let's get going"

Luke took on a quicker pace, almost jogging as time was their greatest threat.

And so they continued on, each doing their best to balance on the edges of these damned pool. When they came upon the next, Will knelt to his knees, slowly sinking a few fingers into the depths of the glittering water. He looked at Luke and narrowed his eyes. "Feels like water but... I'm a bit wary. Can you confirm?" 

He rose to give Luke some room and looked around the pipe. How far could a ring go? The thread began to sway and pull taut, and he thought back to bag he'd dropped earlier. His intention had been to venture back but that didn't seem like a good idea now. Unfortunate, since that had been all of his money. If they didn't find the ring he'd be screwed. He waited for Luke to test the pool. He'd wade in deeper if the man confirmed it was actually water. If not, he'd decide against it and keep going. 

Luke slowed, Turing around to Will kneeling down and examining a third pool of water gazing into it cautiously. 

"Feels like water but... I'm a bit wary. Can you confirm?"

"Okay, I'll test it real quick." 

He said, giving a nod and he walked closer to Will, laying the wrapped bundle he carried down next to him Luke kneeled at the edge of the third pond and preceeded to give it the same cautious test as the second. 

Dipping his hand into the water waiting for any reaction then bringing his hand close to his nose and finally to his mouth. As far as he could tell the water was pure and some what fresh. 

Cupping his hands together Luke scoops the water into the dips of his palms in a attenpt at bringing some of the water to his mouth. Successful he takes a slow and cautious drink confirming the water was perfectly fine. 

Funneling the water Luke had managed to get some of it into his mouth though spilling a majority of it into his clothes, as if the spell of water and mildew could get any worse than in the tunnels. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand Luke gave another nod to his partner, 

"The water is definitely safe, I recommend getting a drink. We've been in here for a while" 

Without much thought, he waded into the pool, movement deliberate and body eager to be soothed. The irritation had gotten worse, but as soon as Will touched the water he felt the coolness sweep over him in a hurry. He lowered his head in with the rest of his body. Ripples had expanded around his location from the movement. The pool's surface sloshed and undulated due to his disturbance.

Will opened his eyes underwater and reached toward the bottom. Something seemed to be glittering here as well. What was it? He couldn't quite make out a shape.

His fingers closed around nothing. What? 

Had he been mistaken? What the hell? Will blinked and reached again. His hands pushed against the water and frantically searched for the object that he had seen, but nothing touched his fingertips but the base of the pool. His brow creased at the strangeness of the experience and he rose to the surface. There was no doubt that Luke had seen the thrashing through the water, but Will offered no comment as he left the pool and settled on its bank. I could've sworn I saw something...

Something must have been wrong. Maybe the pipes were letting off some poisonous gas, or perhaps there was a side effect to Mone's magic. Even as Will reasoned with himself, a voice in his head noted that Luke seemed fine. Noted that only Will seemed to imagine something at the bottom of the pool. Focus. Will breathed in deeply, the exhaled. He rose to his feet and collected his dropped objects, then moved forward to the next pool. He'd imagined one thing. That was okay. The light that they gave off was strange and, if he was being completely honest, most people didn't belong in a pipe system for this long anyway. He wondered how long the previous explorer had been down here. Had he imagined things too? Before his death, of course. 

The next pool clearly not water, its purple hue clear from their white light. Will stared at the surface blankly, then turned to Luke. "You're up, friend," he said with a shrug. "If that's not safe, I'm not to eager to hop in...for obvious reasons." He added with a wry grin. 

Edited by ticklefarte

Luke watched as Will slowly immersed himself in the clear water, for a second wondering if he too should sink into the cooling water. It would undoubtedly help his rash and clear what little fatigue he had accumulated on the quest so far. After another moment of thinking he decided against it, squeezing the bundle of cold flesh slightly. He could deal without and the sooner they got out of the place the better with their race against the storm that would flush the pipes in a matter of hours... Or less. 

Even so Luke turned to peer down where an array of pools sat in wait for them. Because ouf their rotating turns he was sure the next one, a purple hued pool that looked like it was made of watered down jelly, was his to investigate. With a slight shiver he turned his attention back to Will. He was fully immersed in the water now ducking under the surface as if he was looking at something. Luke gazed into the water under Will trying to see if anything stood out or glimered beneath him but Luke could see nothing. Shaking off the though Luke waited and it wasn't until Wills grabbing motion caught his attention again that Luke took another more careful gaze into the water. Nothing. Maybe all this time down in thses tunnels were getting to him? 

Before Luke thoughts could branch out Will emerged from the pool and silently gathered his things and started to the next pool. 

Hopefully the pipes won't rob us of our senses, it's already been quite an extensive journey. How long were the others down here? If nothing else a time estimate would have been nice. Though didn't the professor elaborate days? 

Luke followed Will to the next pool. They both looked into its strange depth in silence until Will looked over, 

"You're up, friend," he said with a shrug. "If that's not safe, I'm not to eager to hop in...for obvious reasons." He added with a wry grin. 

Luke shook his head and cracked a mildly nervous smile while he handed his stuff to Will. 

"I knew it but I still didn't wanna except it." 

He joked taking the moment to control his breathing emitting once again a plethora of the light blue mist. 

Getting closer to the edge Luke crouched and did the usual water tests, dipping his fingers in and smelling and with hesitation his lips. Needless to say that wasn't something he ever wanted to do again, the strange consistancy giving him the urge to gag. 

Standing back on his feet he consintrated producing a small rectangle which stood vertically with an open top a few feet high , it's walls an inch in length whilst high enough to protect Luke legs and mid waste it clung to the bottom of the pool almost directly in the center. All Luke had to do was jump into it. 

Taking a deep breath he backed up, 

Weight, heavy, immovable 

Though he knew he couldn't make things he created actually immovable it was nice to add as much weight to it as he could as to not tip it over. For a second Luke thought this was a dumb use for his powers and cursed himself lightly. He did have a limited use and he'd forgotten how much he'd already used. With a powerful dashing motion Luke tossed himself almost perfectly into it only bumping his shoulder slightly, not enough to bruise. To his plesure the box didn't tip or rock standing its ground as he landed on its floor. 

Crouching down he peered into the substance around him. Usually his ability formed items with glass mirrored appearances but multiple use slowly made it more transparent. Though he could offset this with longer charge times. 

Looking into the jelly Luke searched for anything useful and after scanning and seeing nothing he turned around and did the same only to be annoyed at the realization that the pool was empty. Deciding to make an hasty exist Luke pulled himself onto a ledge, careful to not tople over into the substance, and stood on the edge. Attempting to jump across. 

Edited by LukeRipstine

Dipping his finger into the purple pool, the fluid has the same resistance and texture as gelatin and seems to get thicker the more he interacts with it. On sniffing it, the smell is faintly reminiscent of either rotted flesh or rusty metal. Touching his lips and tongue to it, if still so compelled, revealed no taste but that of debris which has fallen atop it from the environ and has never been cleared. The pool continued a slight rippling even after Luke pulled away.

Luke fashioned for himself a free-floating platform, claimed a spot atop it, and from his peculiar vantage stared down into the pool of thick fluid. It was during this close scrutiny that the pool reacted to Luke's presence. Two tentacles shoot up from the body with speed and strategy. First one then, pending the speed and direction and nature of Luke's response, the other – the aim was to catch him mid-air or mid-tumble, as he was disoriented, and had less leverage to maneuver. If it managed to grab full hold of one of Luke's limbs, then it'd take only a few seconds before the curious tingling against his skin of digestive enzymes reminded him of the sensation of acid eating away at his flesh.

The body ripples more violently and begins to inch outside of the perimeter of its pool.

1) Creature encounter! An ooze!

No time for thought. Action was the priority. It was the only choice, really. His eyes widened in time with the tentacles' rise through the air. They glistened with moisture, wet skin gleaming from his and Luke's light. Whipping back and forth, they caused clumps of gel to spray through the pipe and splatter against solid surfaces. Suddenly, almost instantaneously, his body moved before his thoughts even reflected something like fear and alarm. 

Will dropped his items and swung his crossbow before him. In a practiced motion, he aimed and pulled the trigger, grunting as a bolt tore through the air and into one of the flailing tentacles that reached for Luke. He quickly retrieved another damp bolt from his quiver and locked it in place to prepare for the next shot. Too slow. 

The punctured tentacle ceased chasing Luke and swung in a wide arc around the pool in the hopes that it would find its attacker. Will hopped backward just in time to avoid being crushed by the spinning limb. Air rushed past him, but he was able to account for it and fire another bolt toward the pool. Pfft! 

The projectile broke through the gelatin and sunk into something. The beast within began to thrash violently, making it clear that Luke was now in a more precarious situation than before. Will briefly considered the idea that the creature was actually very small in reality but, as it began to systematically sweep around the pool he realized that the danger to him was actually very large in the moment. "Get out of there!" Will shouted as he stepped back yet again. "If we can go further down the storm water will deal with this thing for us. We just need time. "

He didn't mention the explosive quarrel in his quiver. Damp now, it may not even work. However, if it did it was a last resort, and would likely disrupt the pipe structure in the worst possible way. He waited for Luke to move, his own eyes fixated on the tentacle that was slowly making its way to where Will stood. Dammit...I need to move. 

Edited by ticklefarte

Luke noticed the spikes of alertness in Wills eyes, the jolt of fear threw his body and the rest leave from his posture as he raised his weapon towards him. Luke himself perched on the ledge steadied from afar as he prepared himself to jump paused at the change. This hauled him, the seconds' wait turning into a vital move as the pond itself shuttered to life. Thick jell like arms sprouted from the surface of the presumed gelatinous water moving towards him. They were fast giving Luke a seconds margin of error in his quick evaluation of the situation.

Coming directly for me two yards. If I wait until it's closer I can have it hit the platforms edge that I'm standing on. The jelly like bodies mean that pricing weapons like Wills cross bow won't be enough however... He's going a fine job drawing the aggro. It's too fast for me to be able to make anything, I need an opening! 

The ooze's limbs sped closer to where Luke was standing. Hold . Luke willed himself whilst changing his stance, his legs prime as he further steadied himself. After the creature was mere feet away from him he... 

The the release snap of Wills crossbow was a god send causing one of the limbs to return beneath its surface and the other suddenly turned around to meet the threat almost instantly traversing to Wills side. 

"Get out of there!" Will shouted as he stepped back yet again. "If we can go further down the storm water will deal with this thing for us. We just need time. "

Luke couldn't agree more offering a agreeing nod before taking the oprotunity window Will had opened up. Bracing once again and jumping across the pond landing solidly as he  looked up at his partner. The ooze has beat him there using its acid jelly arm to widely sweep the edge with a massive range far extending the pool. Luke started to sprint and in a burst of agility jumped over the big tentacle. Upon langing he kept his fast pace shooting a glance over to Will. 

"You're right! Let's go let's go" 

The panic and adrenaline flowing threw his body fueling him as he continued dashing towards the cave like rooms exit. Glancing back to the pond Luke watched more and more limbs erupted from the surface of the pond. Even if they stayed to fight he was unsure if they could have beaten it anyway. It was too fast and Luke couldn't conjur anything wiythout time or mana. 

He set his eyes forward only turning his gaze to Will for a second as he shot into the pipes. 

IC Ambience

Spoiler

https://tabletopaudio.com/

"Sewers"

Dank and teeming with the foul and pestilent denizens of darkness. Bring extra torches.

Dark. Scary. Dark and scary. No, no, not the black shadows again... No, no, not the black ooze again… No, no, not Miss Kokamashi’s spaghetti again… Not the taco… Want the waffle… The falafel…  The fumoffu… Keep nasty fries, nasty gnome-man… I don’t want your beer… It tastes fluffy and gross and makes me hic. Hic-Hic. Hic. Hic-Hic-Hic-Hic-Hic-Hic-HIC-HIC-HIC-HIC—

HIC!The hiccup exploded through lips at the same time as eyelids burst back to reveal hazel eyes that gaze out at a foreign world, before those eyelids flutter to blink reality back into the observer. Eyes look left, look right, up and down and all around, and what they see is as alien as familiar. Right above a waking gaze was a rusty ceiling that dripped drops safely away, joined by grimy walls and a damp floor, all lost in darkness and dancing shadows. There wasn’t much to see but there was enough for the watcher to realize that one was not in a location that was anywhere near ideal. I am in the Abyss… The Fates have damned me…right down to the sewers of suffering.

An arm is raised, a hand in front of a gaze, turning this way and that way, fingers curling in and out. Slender fingers upon a slender hand. A feminine hand. A woman’s hand. Her other hand is the same. Except this one has a ring on the ring finger; a silver band topped with a malachite gemstone. It was pretty. This place was not. I must get up. So the woman lifted her back from her prone position and calibrated her surroundings. Darkness. Dirtiness. No sandwiches. Shadows. 

There were shadows. Shadows meant light. Sure enough, what little of it there was came from what looked like a light bulb. Its glass was purple, and amid its color and shape and how it was almost half her own height the whole thing might have been mistaken for a rather oversized party light. However, this one’s light was not in the form of electricity but of a single flame. That made sense. There was no plug around here that she could consider. The light bulb’s glass casing had clearly been unscrewed from the metal base to plant a wick. The metal base even had a rope attached to it...or was that floss? Of course. A portable light source. A makeshift lamp. It was a start. Now it was time to start...but where?

The woman picked up the lamp and stood up to check her person. She was dressed in casual enough attire; a pink leather jacket over a black shirt, blue jeans and black boots that might have been cut from an alligator’s backside if the alligator was black and had a backside. Maybe just the back? She dismissed the thought as she ran a hand through her hair; long black strands woven across her fingers, greasy but not wet. Hmmmmmm. A long if shallow puddle stretched for as far as the light could see but, of course, she had been laying on a blanket that was in turn placed over a plank of wood. Smart girl. Beside the makeshift bed were some other items: a pink backpack, a white beanie, black leather gloves, the broken half of a giant toothpick, and a scabbard with a hilt protruding out of it. A sword…

The woman tapped a finger against her lips. The finger smelled like moldy clay so she stopped tapping. Without much else to do, she hmm-hummed, looked forward and backward and at a wristwatch that appeared to be broken, and considered her options. There were only two ways in this tunnel and both ways led to the black unknown beyond the confined lighting of her lamp. Forward or backward or back to sleep. Finally, she tucked on her gloves, slipped her beanie on, tied her blanket atop her backpack and slung it round her back, fastened the katana around her waist and grabbed her broken toothpick. Let’s mosey. 

With that, the woman chose the only direction that seemed logical: in front of her face. She descended the darkness with her trusty lamp, the flame casting shadows to haunt her trek, illuminating the grime and slime on the walls, and some of it she dared say looked familiar the more she looked. Loose strands of hair or clumps of it stuck to black goop with subtle tints and shades of white and gray and green. Acidic smells clung to her nostrils, one odor of which she might have mistaken for toothpaste, and over there looked like the congealed bubbles of shaving cream, though over here it might have been phlegm. She gulped back the thought and regretted gulping back anything. Oh good Fates and bad ones, where in the kam-chee of holy stars am I? Wincing from her worst fears, the woman took a deep breath, held it and marched on. 

As time came with not much change in scenery, she reached a point where every muscle in her body ceased movement. Beside herself, there was an unmistakable intruder in this horrible dungeon, and right now that was little more than sounda new sound that she had not heard before. Her own footsteps were measured if splashy, padding upon puddled piping, and the sound that her feet made was the same sound that she heard coming from down the tunnel. Except...faster, louder, and closer… 

The idea of turning back and running while screaming and flailing her arms was not lost on this lady, not by a long shot, but she relented that forward was the only way if she was going to find a way out of here. Whatever was down the tunnel, she would have to find out. So onward she marched, and louder the other footsteps came, until she reached a bend in the piping where it curved to her left. Down the unseen other side, the footsteps were even louder and even closer. So, not knowing what else to do, the woman flexed her grip on her toothpick, waited for the right moment, and stepped out into full viewat the same time as swinging her stick right for whatever person or people or goo-monster or gnome-men might have been there to get whacked across the face with the most ferocious battlecry she could muster. 

KAPANGA!

Edited by Die Shize