Typhon

Recruiting Nefarious Soldiers

53 minutes ago, Typhon said:

so if you have a character who isn’t very “good” alignment-wise and who wants to make some money, a noble captain would be a welcome addition. Doesn’t have to be permanent, just for the battle against the pirates. A cameo of sorts?

just an idea

Well, my UM characters are on the neutral/evil level of the alignment chart. The problem is they are over on the lawful side of it. ?

So yeah, they wouldn't be joining what essentially is a pirate raid. Well, none of the Karradeens would be anyway.

@Tyler

The first thread of this entire endeavor will be nothing anyone would ever be able to consider illegal. It’s not piracy but pirate killing. 

That’s why I was inviting you. After we hunt pirates I’d have Lamius drop your character off back home and he or she’d be none the wiser about what happens next. 

If the offer doesn’t interest you then it doesn’t interest you, but my offer wasn’t to make you commit crimes.

@Jotnotes

interesting concept. But it seems to me that skaven are more likely to attack men than men are to go attack a skaven hovel. Especially a cohort of foreign raiders. Could we arrange for a small battle where the skaven attack the Morlog soldiers as they unwittingly pass through their territory?

Edited by Typhon

21 minutes ago, Typhon said:

@Jotnotes

interesting concept. But it seems to me that skaven are more likely to attack men than men are to go attack a skaven hovel. Especially a cohort of foreign raiders. Could we arrange for a small battle where the skaven attack the Morlog soldiers as they unwittingly pass through their territory?

The Skaven are quite different from Warhammer iterations of them, in a number of ways. I'm not sure if you stumbled over their sheet yet, but it can be found here. It's not completely up to date, but it's mostly accurate.

Either way, the Skaven are currently under the leadership of a semi-immortal Rat God-King, who made a barter with their mad god in exchange for the strength to overpower the Skaven's innate paranoia and mania. They're not quite as skeptical of humanity as they might have been, and have even taken pains to include them in their society. In fact, if Raiders appeared in the woods and didn't shoot the rats first, they might even be given directions towards Tradehome, assumed to be travelers or traders. The Skaven currently participate in their own raiding parties (a recent endeavor), so the Morlog Soldiers might even be accepted there.

If you are desperate for conflict, however, it wouldn't necessarily be hard for the two parties to come into conflict. The Skaven have some notoriety as the invaders of the Forgotten Woods, and certainly aren't attractive enough or clean enough to look like anything other than beastmen. They also have scouts all over the place. It wouldn't be hard for, say, a Skaven scout to be shot, either on accident or on purpose, and have other nearby scouts either signal for troops, or rally together to form a small skirmish.

However, I must press the idea that the Skaven are, currently a neutral party that mostly looks evil. They aren't out looking to massacre guards or soldiers without a reason to, and have had pretty pleasant experience with humans so far. 

Edited by Jotnotes

8 hours ago, Typhon said:

The first thread of this entire endeavor will be nothing anyone would ever be able to consider illegal. It’s not piracy but pirate killing. 

That’s why I was inviting you. After we hunt pirates I’d have Lamius drop your character off back home and he or she’d be none the wiser about what happens next. 

If the offer doesn’t interest you then it doesn’t interest you, but my offer wasn’t to make you commit crimes.

Oh oh oh, gotcha!

So, you're thinking like some sort of deal where they arranged to have my character go with when tracking down some pirate ship or raiding some pirate base or something? And is there some sort of plan for the pirates themselves? Like who they are and what they are doing? Obviously you're not going to take down the whole pirate cove or something, so it would make more sense to me if it is a small fleet or enclave.

I'm still just "feeling it out" right now, for the record. I haven't committed yet, since right now I'm trying to be deliberate about which threads I join and which ones I don't.

So yes let’s flesh it out a bit more. First: my goal is to send out three ships. My thought was that even a poor noble like Lamius could whip up about 60 men and three ships with the promise of pay (pay he doesn’t really have, but which he intends to win in battle). To get this pay he has a few strategies of varying legality. 

His first one, and the first thread in this trilogy is supposed to be a nice show of patriotism where he and his three ships find some pirates (probably one or two pirate ships) and attack them. 

@Infernal has mentioned that he plays a pirate lord, and my intention was to ask him first but as backup plan we can just have Lamius start with the knowledge of where some pirate ships will be and we could just NPC those. 

This is where you, @Tyler, could participate and we could have our nobles get to know one another on the battlefield. I’d put a character of your choice as guest captain over one of the ships. We’d engage the pirates, kill many, capture the rest, and spread any captured wealth among ourselves. Then, since the ships will likely need repairs, we all swing back to the islands and go our separate ways.

...then, next thread, Lamius does some other stuff in Hyperion we shouldn’t talk about.

@Jotnotes

Lamius Morlog is a person who would have no problem negotiating with monster folk. So while I certainly do want a battle, perhaps we can have them sort of stumble into battle and have a simultaneous realization that neither side really wants to fight, and then parley and that could lead to a friendlier plotline. 

@Thotification

same offer as tyler: guest captain for a Morlog ship?

@Thotification

I’m going to respectfully request you guest captain. My goal for these threads is to focus on the Morlog military. Ideally I’d like for your characters to leave this event with a firm impression of House Morlog, which they would get by leading Morlog soldiers. 

However, welcome aboard!

Okay so I’ve updated the first post of this thread with a full itinerary of the voyage including all the new opportunities House Morlog has been presented with. 

Thanks @supernal for directing me to the new ship, I can’t wait to claim it! 

3 hours ago, Typhon said:

Lamius Morlog is a person who would have no problem negotiating with monster folk. So while I certainly do want a battle, perhaps we can have them sort of stumble into battle and have a simultaneous realization that neither side really wants to fight, and then parley and that could lead to a friendlier plotline. 

We'll see how it goes, then.

Expect Rats.

I think I'll have to take a pass on this one, but I will make sure to have my characters take note of your characters' efforts IC at some point.

I have a lovely villainous character who'd be willing to join. He may not have military experience but he has a lot of combat experience and makes an excellent soldier. That and he has crap morals and will do anything so long as his people aren't being treated unfairly.