supernal

Neon genesis evangelion 1995 [anime]

I’ve so far only seen two episodes of this on Netflix. So with that caveat in mind I can say I can see how it likely influenced a slew of anime that came after it, that the drawing / animation is fantastic, the composition and structure of their backdrops and symmetry they employ when showcasing characters is great, and that I think they’re very glib with how they’re handling exposition so far too

I will contribute to this discussion once you’ve watched the last episode and maybe the End of Evangelion movie. Neon Genesis Evangelion is always an interesting topic, and I’d rather wait until you’ve watched it to completion.

About six episodes in now 

Their framing and set pieces are still gorgeous. The pacing and handling of their exposition is still damned graceful. I didn’t see any repeated scenes until the most recent episode, which shows you how much work goes into it, and the repetitions here were used for story parallels and not simply written off as a product of expenses / a bottle episode

The foreshadowing is also not too clumsy 

I’ll be checking in as I work through the body of work but by no means should people feel this is strictly for discussion with me or anything like that. You and Wade seem to have both finished the series and both want to say something to someone else that has finished the series! Unless you two know each other and have already explored that I mean 

I'm about halfway through

The pacing / sense of timing is great and have to keep harping on the gorgeous composition. Some interesting relationship dynamics have been touched on that I'm curious to see if they explain in the latter half

And I have me a guess about Shinji. He's probably some kind of lab baby

Edited by supernal

Oh that show...I honestly don't like it and I'll be more than happy to tell you as to why when you finished watching it. My main problem was that it started off good but as it went along I just thought the writers didn't know what to do with the story and the ending is strange for me that's all what I'm going to say about it the movie is strange too.

But hey, don't let that ruin your watch through I enjoyed it as well since I watched it for the mecha battles or at least Evas I suppose, just it isn't my cup of tea and if I may recommend another mecha Anime is probably Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. This anime is a lot about the camaraderie between the characters and I truly enjoyed it as the story went a long and there are tons of mecha battles and character development or at least character plot moving ones, it is a big cast so don't expect character development for everyone but at least the main ones.

It has 2 seasons and that's the end of it, so it is a bit of a watch but I think it is a great anime because it got me into anime in the first place so it holds a special place in my heart and I recommend it to anyone who is interested. 

That's fair different strokes for different folks and all. That said I do have a bit of a penchant for weird animes. I liked the Paprika movie, the FLCL anime and Paranoia Agent so it shouldn't be too strange for me but on the other hand I'm concerned that it's going to be more aimless / less focused than it seemed at first. Which is how I felt about serial experiments lain

I do plan on running through 2-3 gundam series after this too

27 minutes ago, supernal said:

@Praetorian @Wade

It is complete (just the series not the movies)

So for me personally, I didn't really care for the ending. I know that the anime touches and builds up to increasingly complicated philosophical conversations about self/identity and that the deep dive ending is foreshadowed, but I think it was poorly handled. This probably stands contrary to a lot of what think and probably praise the anime for.

Beyond that, I dislike the mechanics of the AT Field, as well as the naming. I guess it could be a reflection of the absolute terror someone might feel to completely lose their individuality, and the AT field is what separates individuals. And I fully get that the function of the AT Field overwhelming another AT Field mirrors how strong personalities can overwhelm a turbulent personality, but you don't really see that in the Eva Angel interactions. 

As a giant robot fighting monsters anime, I like Neon Genesis Evangelion. But the moment is stops that and becomes an exercise in the philosophy of self and identity, I think it kind of falls apart.

Many people didn't like the ending. The creator apparently received death threats over it, so you aren't alone in a sour reaction to it. The wife and I had a lengthy chef session wherein we chopped that shit to pieces

Overall I gave the series a 7/10 taking it in a vacuum of just pound for pound story, and then raised that to an 8/10 when taking in historical context, which isn't something that I do very often. In this respect NGE is in a lot of ways like Citizen Kane. Looking back at the tail end of movie history, looking back at the tail end of a few decades of development in technology and visual storytelling for animated features, it doesn't seem so special. Some of the stuff isn't as thought provoking as or complicated as it, or other people, may make it out to be

But if I was a young teenager watching it in the 90s, before widespread internet and projects like wikipedia and my personal drive to satisfy my curiosity and my personal interest in things like psychology and philosophy, I can see how it would have been a bombshell. A lot of the things that may seem basic or obvious seem that way because of the influence that NGE had on the material that came after it. I'd like to, and probably will, shit on those last two episodes for a long time but for better and worse it also reminds me of the ending scene of 2001

Another way I look at it is through the 80/20 lens. Most of the anime most of the time was pretty good. It, apparently, took the anime industry out of a nose dive and set a precedent for fewer episodes (13-26) of higher quality and I like and respect that. It was pretty high quality even for now, so for the era it must have been stunning. It had flaws at the basic story line level too, but I feel at least some of that were cost savings exercise because the guy didn't have infinite money to do what he wanted to. That aside, I felt that it in a few cases it suffered from the opposite flaw of heavy handed and dense exposition. Some of its explanations for things were too light and unsatisfying, too quickly mentioned or seemed to materialize out of mist

7 minutes ago, supernal said:

Many people didn't like the ending. The creator apparently received death threats over it, so you aren't alone in a sour reaction to it. The wife and I had a lengthy chef session wherein we chopped that shit to pieces

Overall I gave the series a 7/10 taking it in a vacuum of just pound for pound story, and then raised that to an 8/10 when taking in historical context, which isn't something that I do very often. In this respect NGE is in a lot of ways like Citizen Kane. Looking back at the tail end of movie history, looking back at the tail end of a few decades of development in technology and visual storytelling for animated features, it doesn't seem so special. Some of the stuff isn't as thought provoking as or complicated as it, or other people, may make it out to be

But if I was a young teenager watching it in the 90s, before widespread internet and projects like wikipedia and my personal drive to satisfy my curiosity and my personal interest in things like psychology and philosophy, I can see how it would have been a bombshell. A lot of the things that may seem basic or obvious seem that way because of the influence that NGE had on the material that came after it. I'd like to, and probably will, shit on those last two episodes for a long time but for better and worse it also reminds me of the ending scene of 2001

Another way I look at it is through the 80/20 lens. Most of the anime most of the time was pretty good. It, apparently, took the anime industry out of a nose dive and set a precedent for fewer episodes (13-26) of higher quality and I like and respect that. It was pretty high quality even for now, so for the era it must have been stunning. It had flaws at the basic story line level too, but I feel at least some of that were cost savings exercise because the guy didn't have infinite money to do what he wanted to. That aside, I felt that it in a few cases it suffered from the opposite flaw of heavy handed and dense exposition. Some of its explanations for things were too light and unsatisfying, too quickly mentioned or seemed to materialize out of mist

Good to know that absurd reactions aren't a recent product of the internet. 

I think in my older age, I've become increasingly critical of dialogue, and I can vaguely remember not being satisfied of the dialogue in NGE. Not so much of what/how something is being said, because that's going to change from decade to decade as speech naturally changes and terms fall in and out of favor, but rather the actual intent of the ideas being communicated was kinda meh. I'll see if I can find an example of what I'm talking about later.

Anywho, my aforementioned comment isn't to say that I completely dislike NGE. I'd give it a solid 6/10 to 7/10. I was pretty fond of Gundam Wing and I'd give that maybe a 6/10. 

And while I do agree that the concepts presented within the anime were probably Matrix levels of mindblowing back in the day. I still think it wasn't handled super well. I think you can hit on those deep philosophical elements without doing a "turn for the weird." Lemme think on it and I'll see if I can come up with an anime that achieves that.

13 minutes ago, Praetorian said:

Good to know that absurd reactions aren't a recent product of the internet. 

I think in my older age, I've become increasingly critical of dialogue, and I can vaguely remember not being satisfied of the dialogue in NGE. Not so much of what/how something is being said, because that's going to change from decade to decade as speech naturally changes and terms fall in and out of favor, but rather the actual intent of the ideas being communicated was kinda meh. I'll see if I can find an example of what I'm talking about later.

Anywho, my aforementioned comment isn't to say that I completely dislike NGE. I'd give it a solid 6/10 to 7/10. I was pretty fond of Gundam Wing and I'd give that maybe a 6/10. 

And while I do agree that the concepts presented within the anime were probably Matrix levels of mindblowing back in the day. I still think it wasn't handled super well. I think you can hit on those deep philosophical elements without doing a "turn for the weird." Lemme think on it and I'll see if I can come up with an anime that achieves that.

I bet you if you do it’ll be after NGE. That’s one of the things I keep in mind when considering this one. It seems to be the case the creator was doing all sorts of new things and didn’t have the benefit that creators a decade later would have of seeing what worked and what didn’t