Tenkai Matsumoto

村正妖刀伝 - Muramasa Yōtōden (Muramasa Cursed Sword Chronicles)

YP4fWAa.jpg

The cursed sword, Muramasa. The Immortal Ending.

Forged several hundred years ago on a world far away from Valucre, the swords of the infamous smith Sengo Muramasa carry a bloodstained legacy. Each blade possesses an edge of unparalleled sharpness capable of mortally wounding even those who would otherwise be considered "immortal". Yet these peerless blades come with a price, as they all serve as a reflection of Muramasa’s dementia and his obsessive pursuit of the sharpest blade. As a result, the “soul” of each sword bears an unquenchable thirst for blood that spurs it’s wielder on to commit greater acts of violence each time it is used. The swordsman is inevitably driven mad by the cursed blade, until it can be sated by nothing less than taking the swordsman’s own life.

Only swordsmen with the most immovable of hearts and unfettered minds could possibly wield a Muramasa blade without giving in to its bloodlust. One such swordsman was the famous Yagyu Jubei Mitsuyoshi, who wielded Muramasa’s final blade against the immortal Amakusa Shiro Tokisada. It was the discipline of Jubei’s art, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, that allowed him to wield the cursed sword without becoming a monster himself. Today, in a far future and an even further world away, the swordsman monk Tenkai Matsumoto follows in the footsteps of the Yagyu swordsman who came before him, wielding his own Muramasa to cut down those unjust souls who have for too long enjoyed freedom from the fear of death.

But now, it would seem even the "Immortal Ending" is has its limits. Faced with a foe whose immortality stood beyond the blade's ability to reach it, Tenkai has learned of how little he truly understood of his longtime personal weapon. Intent on breaking through both his limits and that of Muramasa, the swordsman sets out on a warrior's pilgrimage across the many lands of Valucre, facing other cursed swords in hopes that he may find his answers in the heart of battle.

OOC:

This may be a little bit in advance (since the actual plot hook that triggers this quest has not yet happened) but I wanted to put out an interest check regarding my quest to make Tenkai's sword Muramasa a canon weapon on Valucre. I'll probably update the blurb above once the actual event happens (and also edit that artwork shown above, since its still slightly unfinished and outdated).

The idea I had was based off of something I've thought of for a good while. I always liked the idea of having Tenkai go around fighting evil swordsmen or people cursed with evil/cursed/demonic blades and defeating them, which by extension would defeat their blades and gradually unlock some sort of "awakening" in his sword. The specifics of what exactly happens to it are still being hammered out but I wanted this interest check because as much as I could just write out a bunch of different stories and encounters detailing this, RPing with myself would be incredibly boring. So I wanted to see if anyone wanted to create characters for something like this. 

A few ideas I had were like...

- An innocent swordsman who by some bad luck came into possession of a demonic sword that made him into a murderer

- Career assassins/killers for higher making use of other well-storied cursed blades

- Otherwise noble warriors that are in possession of exceedingly dangerous swords that they themselves do not understand the consequences of wielding

- Voracious sword collectors who collect cursed weaponry purely for self indulgence and obsession

- Entire groups/organizations of swordsmen or sword thieves, usually with some sort of common theme between them

- Anything involving otherwise famous weapons either originating on or somehow finding their way to Valucre

- Finally, something as heavy as facing another completely different Muramasa, or even a Masamune sword

These are just some small ideas but I'm open to to other suggestions as I see who's interested in helping out my story with some sword-related roleplay fun. 

22 minutes ago, The Bone King said:

I'd like to write with you, if you will accept me.

Clash has all kinds of weapons.

Sorry, Clash, I don't think this is the kind of roleplay you're looking for.

41 minutes ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

What kind of character would you make for this? 

I'd bring in my Artificer, Artamese. She runs the Enoteca Wine and Workshop in Alethea and 100% could potentially come across a cursed weapon.

1 minute ago, Malintzin said:

I'd bring in my Artificer, Artamese. She runs the Enoteca Wine and Workshop in Alethea and 100% could potentially come across a cursed weapon.

So I imagine in her case it'd be like, she gets a cursed weapon and becomes possessed by it? That would be good.

Also I should probably make a note that, for thematic purposes, the weapons should ideally by swords first, but other bladed weapons are good especially if we have a sword majority. None of them have to be kataners.

I know, silly stipulation, but I'm thinking about this as if this were a story arc or a movie. :U

8 minutes ago, Thotification said:

? Interesting...I could probably bring Shishi Ravenbush since she already possess a cursed sword. She could come into contact with a few more.

Oooh. o3o I see. But then would that be like, her getting possessed by one or some other deal? I'm still sort of working out what actually happens once the sword is defeated.

12 minutes ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

So I imagine in her case it'd be like, she gets a cursed weapon and becomes possessed by it? That would be good.

Also I should probably make a note that, for thematic purposes, the weapons should ideally by swords first, but other bladed weapons are good especially if we have a sword majority. None of them have to be kataners.

I know, silly stipulation, but I'm thinking about this as if this were a story arc or a movie. :U

That works. People drop off their artifacts there to be repaired so I can imagine someone bringing it in and not knowing what it is or what it does and having her look at it and WHAM!

I will flesh out a quest in Alethea to be something of a prelude to lead into yours~

1 minute ago, Malintzin said:

That works. People drop off their artifacts there to be repaired so I can imagine someone bringing it in and not knowing what it is or what it does and having her look at it and WHAM!

I will flesh out a quest in Alethea to be something of a prelude to lead into yours~

Well, don't be too quick to it. The prerequisite stuff hasn't even happened yet, lol.

Then again, I'm not gonna rush @Ataraxy with Nu Martyr so I guess if we work out some plot details I can just find a way to begin this somewhat sooner once I have enough interested people. That way everyone can do things at their leisure.

Before then, I wanted to set up some sort of means by which Tenkai discovered what was wrong with his sword so that he gets the idea to go on this pilgrimage.

15 minutes ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

Well, don't be too quick to it. The prerequisite stuff hasn't even happened yet, lol.

Then again, I'm not gonna rush @Ataraxy with Nu Martyr so I guess if we work out some plot details I can just find a way to begin this somewhat sooner once I have enough interested people. That way everyone can do things at their leisure.

Before then, I wanted to set up some sort of means by which Tenkai discovered what was wrong with his sword so that he gets the idea to go on this pilgrimage.

Considering I have twelve landing pages to work on, I'm not going anywhere with it any time soon. I only just finished Hyperion. I have a long list to go before I post any quests, no worries~ But I did update my Trello accordingly.

? There is a possibility. The only reason the sword hasn't possess Shishi yet is due to her being close to someone that can easily dispell evil spirits, her older sister.

If she travels with someone else...the sword won't miss the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Tenkai Matsumoto said:

I see, I see. owo

Isn't Tenkai part of OFM? Perhaps he could give some pointers to knight trainee Ravenbush? ?

Edited by Thotification