Jump to content
supernal

Cool books - 2019 YTD

Recommended Posts

I just finished the last of the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. The last two books were a bit of a chore to get through.

I'm going to start listening to the Dresden Files on Audible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blackguard said:

I just finished the last of the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. The last two books were a bit of a chore to get through.

I'm going to start listening to the Dresden Files on Audible. 

I only read the first book of that series. Let me know if the others are worth the sweat plz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just starting The Witch Elm by Tana French, but most of my reading rn is more work related; fewer novels.

I tend toward comics more on my downtime. This year I’ve picked up:

One!Hundred!Demons! by Lynda Barry

My Favorite Thing is Monsters by Emil Ferris 

Mort Cinder by Hector German Oesterheld and Alberto Breccia

Perdy by Kickliy

The Girl from the Other Side by Siuil a Run

a bunch of self-published stuff from artists/authors at conventions 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AngryCacti said:

Working my way through The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It’s got good action, multiple lgbt characters, and detailed world building. And dragons. It has lots of dragons. 

I wanna read that one so bad but long books like this one intimidate me. Did you read any of her books in the Bone Season series? I read the first one and loved it.

47 minutes ago, Lady Gilaen said:

I’m just starting The Witch Elm by Tana French, but most of my reading rn is more work related; fewer novels.

I tend toward comics more on my downtime. This year I’ve picked up:

One!Hundred!Demons! by Lynda Barry

My Favorite Thing is Monsters by Emil Ferris 

Mort Cinder by Hector German Oesterheld and Alberto Breccia

Perdy by Kickliy

The Girl from the Other Side by Siuil a Run

a bunch of self-published stuff from artists/authors at conventions 

 

I love Tana French's books. I've read In the Woods and The Likeness so far and really enjoyed them. I have a few others on my to-be-read self. Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, folie a deux said:

I wanna read that one so bad but long books like this one intimidate me. Did you read any of her books in the Bone Season series? I read the first one and loved it.

She breaks it up into acts so it feels like you’re reading 3 books in one. There’s a lot of good stoppping points that allow for a short break if need be.

And I haven’t read her other books, though I’ve heard they’re very good. I only started reading this one because it fell off the shelf on the other end of the aisle in an empty book store. Now, I don’t know about you, but if the bookstore ghosts want me to read a book then I guess I’m reading that book.

Edited by AngryCacti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, supernal said:

I only read the first book of that series. Let me know if the others are worth the sweat plz 

I think the whole series is worth a read. The first 3 books are worth a straight read but I'd recommend a more casual approach to the 3 after. 

I thought the plot was pretty shallow but I liked Tavi and thought he carried it pretty well during the stale parts. 

Butcher's inspiration for the series has me in stitches:

"... a bet Butcher was challenged to by a member of the Del Rey Online Writer's Workshop. The challenger bet that Butcher could not write a good story based on a lame idea, and he countered that he could do it using two lame ideas of the challenger's choosing. The "lame" ideas given were 'Lost Roman Legion', and 'Pokémon'."

Edited by Blackguard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is hard because I basically read a book every 1-2 weeks.

Vicious by V.E. Schwab has easily become one of my favourites. Perfect if you're into antiheroes and superpowers, but the real standout feature is the top-notch writing imo. 

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff also soars to top of my list. I almost wish I hadn't brought it with me on vacation because all I wanted to do was read it when I should've been enjoying the sights. 

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers was a nice jaunt into sci-fi slice of life. Travelling through space, a cool crew, and a refreshing take on alien culture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wade said:

This is hard because I basically read a book every 1-2 weeks.

Vicious by V.E. Schwab has easily become one of my favourites. Perfect if you're into antiheroes and superpowers, but the real standout feature is the top-notch writing imo. 

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff also soars to top of my list. I almost wish I hadn't brought it with me on vacation because all I wanted to do was read it when I should've been enjoying the sights. 

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers was a nice jaunt into sci-fi slice of life. Travelling through space, a cool crew, and a refreshing take on alien culture. 

Perfect. Keep your quantity and give me the ones that burn bright on review!

The Long Way sounds interesting, and it is highly favored abroad as well as by The Wade. It's on the list!

I've read a handful of books lately but only 2 of them were standouts and only 1 of them was fiction. Benefit by the sweat of my labor - Three-ten to Yuma and Other Stories

It's a collection of western stories, which isn't something I specifically sought out. I sought out Leonard after reading his praise by a few other people and reading up on his page as to the stories he's made and finding out which of those have been made into movies or remained popular. Three-Ten is a given but he also wrote the story which lead to Jackie Brown and Get Shorty. His stories also led to the show Justified. He later switched from westerns to thrillers

Much like Vicious, you may or may not like it for the western themes, but it's the excellent writing that carries it regardless. He’s hailed for his dialogue especially but it’s all very polished 

Edited by supernal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@folie a deux All of the Dublin Murder Squad books are so so good, but The Secret Place gets a little weird. It adds a secondary genre to the story, but it does introduce my favorite character, who is the main character for the latest book in the series. I think you’re at Faithful Place, which is probably the best in the series so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@folie a deux

I guess you could, but it kind of establishes a dynamic for the detectives in the next book. Like, it’s still really really good, it just has a slightly different structure and it alternates between the detective POV and suspect POV

Edited by Lady Gilaen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...